As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sweet Watches?

SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
K guys so I'm looking at buying a neat watch. My price range is up to about a hundred.

I like retro type stuff and I tend towards the minimalistic side. I hate the ones with like a million chronographs and all the numbers and shit. The two I'm looking at now are these, but I'm sure there must be more. Show me the watches!
41R%2Bf2Kjs-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg41sobYjJs1L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
kavinskysig.gif
Sushisource on

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There's so many watches out there that I think it is rather impossible to suggest one. My father loves Swatch watches, but hates paying full price. He checks out this site http://www.squiggly.com/ instead. They usually have some sweet deals going on.

Aldo on
  • Options
    RenegadeSilenceRenegadeSilence Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Diesel watches all have a pretty unique look to them and are pretty minimalist in their features, some of them look fugly though.

RenegadeSilence on
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nixon also makes some pretty cool and unique watches.

wmelon on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The vintage military look the first one has is a pretty classic design that will not go out of style any time soon (people have been wearing them since the original WWII ones were issued to the GIs). The big square "Diesel" style on the other hand is a little more risky. Also, my personal opinion is that digital watches are pretty tacky for general wear.

You can actually probably find a vintage military style mechanical watch (with real gears and cogs and springs!!!) that would be way cooler than a quartz-motion watch, with the only inconvenience being you have to wind it every day.

Check out www.coolvintagewatches.com for some ideas. They have many miltary style watches in the $250-$300 range. A little more than you're looking for, but the truth is that every quartz watch has the same guts as a $15 Timex under the hood. Throw a vintage manual-wind watch on your wrist and
    you instantly become cool :)

Edit: There's also a Russian watch company called Vostok--they make really simple mechanical watches that can take a beating, and they are super cheap. You can get them with novelty Soviet-era faces that are pretty cool. They supplied the Soviet military with watches so they are the real deal. You probably have to find a US reseller though.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Tokyo Flash has some pretty sweet watches.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    I would say go to a store that lets you try them on and see what you like and buy that. Watches can be pretty personal.

Although I would suggest that if you're going to find yourself in formal situations a lot, an analog watch is the way to go, unless you can find a classy digital one.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have a Seiko snx427 that I have worn daily for about five years. It is an automatic(It winds by body motion) with a skeleoton back so you can see the movement. Classic military watch style.

Looks like the one here, but I have a nylon band
    http://www.geniusplanet.com/seiko.htm

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    but the truth is that every quartz watch has the same guts as a $15 Timex under the hood.

While it may be true that all quartz watches run on the same technology, there is still a lot of difference between a cheap quartz watch and a well built one. I've had Timex watches that were loud enough that my girlfriend couldn't sleep if I wore my watch to bed. My daily wear watch is a Citizen quartz. It's so quiet I can't hear it ticking even when I put it directly to my ear.

Sears sells it for $70.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04446919000P?vName=Jewelry&cName=Watches&sName=Mens

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Alright guys thanks for the advice this has given me a lot more to consider.

I really like this vostok
    http://www.amazon.com/Vostok-Submarine-Automatic-2432-0325032/dp/B000JQHSVY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1215303588&sr=8-3

And this diesel:
    http://www.amazon.com/Diesel-Mens-Leather-watch-DZ4133/dp/B000VNFMGI/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1215303303&sr=1-19

I still have some deciding to do. Thanks though!

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like the timex watch from stranger than fiction. normal hands but when you press a button digital readout.

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Ironman-Triathlon-Combo-T56371/dp/B0002291TW/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I got a Seiko as a graduation gift after I go through high school (2005), and I haven't had any problems with it. Haven't even needed to change the battery and I've worn it every day. Its pretty classy.

An-D on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    if you like minimalist, I got this Skagen watch (picture below) as a picked birthday present a couple years ago... I was also looking for something without all the fancy crap (and also something non-giant, I hate those enormous men's watches)... any of their titanium stuff I think looks pretty nice (and is very very light!)... and they're sold in like macy's-type stores, so you can usually find them on sale / use coupons / etc
    105LTX_L.jpg

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There are very few watches classier than a classic Omega:

OmegaDe-VillecoaxialGMT.gif

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fossil watches are pretty cool too.

I have this one... it really doesn't get much more minimalist than that.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Gafoto wrote: »

Gaf the watches on that site are uber-classy... also not cheap :(

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Look on amazon, they have it for 200 bucks there.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Look on amazon, they have it for 200 bucks there.

If only it wasn't gold... Its personal - but I dislike gold. I like silver coloured stuff.

I'm loving some of this stuff... Those interesting Japanese ones, and the Russian site had some pocket watches - which I thought were cool. I keep a lot in my pockets already, what with keys, wallet, phone etc...

I really dig the mechanical look of that Ericedelhausen one... Anyone found any other open face watches?

Edit: This is awesome.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I really dig the mechanical look of that Ericedelhausen one... Anyone found any other open face watches?

Just search for Skeleton watches.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd avoid Fossils - they're everywhere and they're not very well made. I worked at a watch store for four years, and I have one crucial piece of advice. If you're able to look at a watch before purchasing, make sure it has a stainless steel case, back, AND band. A lot of watches have SS casebacks and basemetal bands, which eventually turn yellow and corrode.

Even if you want a leather band, make sure the case is steel because the caseback isn't the only part that touches your skin.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'd avoid Fossils - they're everywhere and they're not very well made. I worked at a watch store for four years, and I have one crucial piece of advice. If you're able to look at a watch before purchasing, make sure it has a stainless steel case, back, AND band. A lot of watches have SS casebacks and basemetal bands, which eventually turn yellow and corrode.

Even if you want a leather band, make sure the case is steel because the caseback isn't the only part that touches your skin.

What brands would you recommend? Seiko? Citizen?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Seiko and Citizen aren't bad - a bit pricey for my tastes, but they use quality movements. Really, it's all about personal taste.

The company I worked for, despite poor management, marketing, and overall selection, did have a few gems. I like this line:
    https://dakota.webfeatsecurity.com/chosenwatch.aspx?ProdID=1

But it does have a less flexible band than most, so if you've got a small wrist you'll probably want to avoid it.

I don't really have any specific recommendations, but some general quality guidelines:

Stainless steel or titanium. If the seller can't tell you with certainty what the case and band are made of, assume the worst. Some sellers are also liars or ignorant - see if the watch comes with any documentation.

Mineral or sapphire crystal. These types of glass are harder and more scratch resistant. Sapphire much more so than mineral, but it's also more expensive. Mineral glass is fine for everyday wear, but you might get some nicks over a few years.

Warranty - any good watch should have at least a five year warranty.

Water Resistance - 330 meters (10 ATM, a unit of pressure) is a good number to look for. If someone tries to sell you a waterproof watch, they're liars. No watch is waterproof. 110 meters will keep your watch okay if you submerge it for a few seconds, but you really shouldn't rely on it. 330 means you can basically swim in it, but I don't really recommend swimming with any watch on.

Stem/Crown - if it's serious water resistance you want, make sure that the stem and crown (the thing you turn to set the time) screw down or otherwise lock in place.

Caseback - under no circumstances should this be anything but stainless steel. Also, it should screw down (it will have six equidistant indentations around the outer edge) to keep water out.

I think that's it. Any watch that has those features will be just fine.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Razzle StormRazzle Storm Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, there's always Emporio Armani. I'm sure if you bought it, the seller would throw in free shipping and might be able to lower the price. There's another picture from the Armani site.

/shameless advertising

Razzle Storm on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I had a fossil for the last 6 years, the only thing that ever went wrong with it was, like Delzhand said, the back turned a little yellow, but nothing too bad. The metal band was just fine, and I only had to replace the battery in it once.

It was a pretty minimalistic watch, I'll see if I can find a link to it...

Hrmm, well damn, I think I left the watch at a friends lake cabin the last time I was there. I probably won't be back for another year or so, so I'm actually looking for a new watch too. The downside is I can't actually find that watch I used to have on Fossil's site. Anyway, the watch had only the analog hands, then a few LCD circles that made up the watch face. These circles constantly moved, so it looked as though you were going down/up some tunnel or vortex every time you glanced at it.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    AdventAdvent Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My brother and I both have Pulsar's digital display watch. They're awesome. The older model looks a little better imo.

Advent on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I dunno where you get your Fossil watches from, but mine is all stainless-steel, has a nice solid mineral crystal glass and comes with (I think) an 11-year warranty. It also has water-resistance, but that's not something I'm willing to try with any watch, unless it's purpose-built to function in water.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What about the ThinkGeek Video Watch: http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/video/8e18/

Only $70!

1ddqd on
  • Options
    enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I've had a Fossil watch for 2 years now an it still looks and functions perfectly. I'm a giant watch nerd but I can't bring myself to get another watch when I have this one: http://www.worldofwatches.com/segf/FossilJR8539.html

The face only looks black when you look at it exactly straight on in low light. Otherwise it has a cool blue cast to it. The little characters in the back flow downwards continuously although there's a button to stop/start them. I have gotten more compliments on this watch than anything I've ever worn.

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Maybe they've upped their quality standards in the last few years. It's possible, but my advice still hold on the features to look for - if Fossil watches meet those standards, then all the better.

Delzhand on