As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Co-op Campaign - Shooting things together on PC

oddmentoddment Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
Me and my housemates are all avid gamers, and have been trying to find games we can all play together over LAN. We've had our fill of things like Civilization 4 and Command & Conquer, and now really want to play co-op FPS or Third Person Shooter games. We just got Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, and are really enjoying playing through that, so we would like more games in that kind of vein. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is Rainbow Six Vegas (1 and/or 2) any good? Any other games on the horizon? Thanks!!!

PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
oddment84.png
*Thanks Thanatos!
oddment on

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Vegas 2 on the PC is pretty good. Only 2-player story co-op, but terrorist hunt is still un-gimped.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    2-player story co-op? Boooo! Does Vegas 1 allow you to play through the story with 3 people?

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yes, as far as I remember.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    No it doesnt. It allows terrorist hunt though which is the single player missions without scripted events or cutscenes. Just spawning enemies.

Doesnt make it any less fucking incredible. Vegas is a great franchise.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    No it doesnt. It allows terrorist hunt though which is the single player missions without scripted events or cutscenes. Just spawning enemies.

Doesnt make it any less fucking incredible. Vegas is a great franchise.

Actually, you can play the Vegas 1 story with 4 player co-op. None of the cut scenes have audio so you don't get the story, but you can definitely play 4 player co-op.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh alright. Awesome.

Been a while. Vegas 2 MP is just better in every way.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I found Vegas 1's co-op to be much more fun than vegas 2s. Sure most of the objectives and cut scenes are removed, but it's just so much more fun with 4 human players as opposed to two. (and terrorist hunt just plain sucks, don't even bring that up, it's also completely different than vegas 1's co op mode. In co-op the enemies are all in the same places they are in the actual campaign, and don't respawn)

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The recent patch for Vegas 2 resolves a major gripe with terrorist hunt regarding enemy spawning. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    SWAT 4. Up to 5 player co-op through the missions, and the game allows you to make modifications to the missions to do stuff like change the number / type of suspects / civilians / different objectives and stuff.

If you get the expansion pack then there's up to 10 player-co-op. Some useful additions too, like the grenade launcher.

It's a really awesome game, very tactical. I will warn you though, it's not easy, there's no rebounding health, and rushing things, or just one player trying to go Rambo, can easily get the entire squad killed. It's fundamentally a police sim as opposed to an action game or a military game. The key difference this makes is that it's very important to follow procedure, and your ultimate objectives are to save lives, even those of the suspects where you can.

Meanwhile, not in the tactical shooter area, but Serious Sam has Seriously good co-op (see what I did there?). Lots of brainless blasting of waves and waves of enemies.

subedii on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am one of the housemates the OP is talking about and I'm pretty excited that vegas 2 is held in such high regard. We're definately getting it. Are you listening Oddment?
    subedii wrote: »

Meanwhile, not in the tactical shooter area, but Serious Sam has Seriously good co-op (see what I did there?). Lots of brainless blasting of waves and waves of enemies.

I played the demo of the newest Serious Sam and I thought it seriously sucked balls, is the full game better? has it been patched or anything since then?

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Not in the style of the Clancy games, but Gears of War for the PC is a relatively good co-op game.

I don't know much about the Live for Windows service though.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    That would be a great idea... however we already have that on the 360 (well, two of us do... well, I know I do anyway), and have played it rather a lot. Good game.

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am one of the housemates the OP is talking about and I'm pretty excited that vegas 2 is held in such high regard. We're definately getting it. Are you listening Oddment?
    subedii wrote: »

I played the demo of the newest Serious Sam and I thought it seriously sucked balls, is the full game better? has it been patched or anything since then?

I was referring more to the first one (haven't really played the second). On its own it's nothing really special (although I felt it gets better as the game goes on), but co-op is still plenty of fun.

subedii on
  • Options
    MiglioriMigliori Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    oddment wrote: »
    Any other games on the horizon? Thanks!!!

Left 4 Dead is comming to PC and 360 in November.

Migliori on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Migliori wrote: »
    Any other games on the horizon? Thanks!!!

Left 4 Dead is comming to PC and 360 in November.

I actually came into this thread just to mention that L4D looks like it's going to be a great co-op game.

Peewi on
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Daikatan... ok, sorry, just kidding.

theantipop on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    A lot of the classic Doom 2 megawads were designed with co-op in mind. Memento Mori 2 would be a fantastic trip down memory lane, if any of you were gaming in those days.

Bet you didn't see that one coming.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I generally use this list when trying to figure out whats next for geek parties. Its a bit big and unwieldy, but its fairly up to date and its a decent resource.

Giant Wikipedia List O'Coop Games

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Gears of War had co-op on 360.. I haven't looked but it should also have it on the PC version.

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That would be a great idea... however we already have that on the 360 (well, two of us do... well, I know I do anyway), and have played it rather a lot. Good game.

Well if you've only had it on the 360 then now should be the time to try Gears of War on the PC. You'll experience the new content for the first time and still not feel like you wasted some money before 2 comes out.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah you can pretty much shoot up most everything of Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom in co-op. Also, if it comes out, Borderlands has the potential to be awesome co-op.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    System Shock 2 has Coop, but only 2 player, unfortunately.

Neverwinter Nights is a perfect for the group, if you're looking for an RPG. The game is long, and you'll genuinely benefit from having a well balanced three or more player group (I think the max is 5).

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I thought SS2 had 4 person co-op... ?

august on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If we're willing to go a bit off topic, any ideas for games on 360/comp/ps2 that I could play with my girlfriend?

Not necessarily co-op, but obviously 2-player hotseat/local. So far Katamari and Rock Band are the things that hold her interest. That, and she wants games with really over-the-top and varied killing, but she is bored by many of them because her attention span is 3 seconds.

Hm. Are there any good fighting games on the 360 yet?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Virtua Fighter 5

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    august wrote: »
    I thought SS2 had 4 person co-op... ?

Yeah its 3 atleast.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Soul Caliber on Live Arcade.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hmm, I've got Soul Calibur 2 on PS2, but I'll look into it.

So hey, any action games that basically require no learning about combos/key presses/instructions at all in order to get right into the flying limbs? Like, Serious Sam but 3rd person action. Is the new Ninja Gaiden like that on super-easy?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Serious Sam + Second Encounter. You can coop through the entire single player campaign.

You and your comrades standing back to back, shotguns and black powder cannons ablaze, as endless hordes of headless screaming people carrying bombs pour over the hills and toothy alien brainy things on metal legs scorch the air around you with lasers...

this is best in life.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    SWAT 4 is the shit.

Also look back at Rainbow Six Raven Shield Athena Sword and that other third free pack I keep forgetting the name of. It may be older, but it is still a very solid series and the spot before the whole series became consolified.

Waka Laka on