As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying a new car

AridholAridhol Daddliest CatchRegistered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
the search doesn't seem to work for new car because of the 3 char limit so apologies if this thread was done recently.

Some history:
The girlfriend and I have been driving a 1989 subaru DL for 10 years and feel it's time for something newer and with better mileage. Money wise we can afford about $350-400 / month for payments, insurance and gas.
We have $2000 (ish) to put down.
We have excellent credit.

We have decided on the Honda fit based on edmunds.com reviews and car and driver etc... as well as speaking with a couple fit owners in our building. So this post is not about which car to buy but about how to get it without getting raped.

I need advice from people (preferably Canadian as that's where I am) who have bought cars without getting screwed. What are some tips to get the lowest price possible?

Other things: By new car I mean 2006 and newer, it doesn't have to be a straight off the factory new car (though finding a newer used fit is bloody impossible).
Only Brand New cars qualify for the eco-rebates from the govt so it knocks roughly 2-4 thousand off the price of a new vehicle.

Aridhol on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Look up the dealer invoice price on kbb.com and use that as your negotiating point. You can't really reasonably expect to get it for less than invoice unless you have something to put on the table in negotiations.

Also, try to get a loan through your bank, you can usually get a better rate than with the dealer.

Don't get the Simonizing.

If they won't come down in price, try to get them to throw in the extras that Honda usually charges for like wheel locks, floor mats, and mud flaps.

There's not really any secret to car negotiations beyond figuring out what you want to pay beforehand and not letting the dealer talk you into paying more. If you don't like what one dealer tells you, go to another place. If you walk into a dealer determined to buy a car that very day, you are screwed.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    kbb.com says around $14,900 and the dealer in my town we've been to has used 2007 models for 18,950 (non-sport, automatic). Hopefully there is some room there. We plan on going to the bank tonight to see about an auto loan.

Is there money to be saved by going with a 60 month 0.9 type financing or is that all a scam?

Aridhol on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've heard from several places that Edmund's 'true market value' dealer retail is closer to actual values than the blue book price, and this seems to jive with the price I got recently on a used car. The blue book tends to be high for most cars.

In order to get the best price you really need to be willing to go somewhere else. I'm not suggesting you threaten to walk out every 3 seconds, but if the dealer doesn't seem willing to make a deal at a price you're comfortable with, leave and look around. You're looking for a new (or fairly new) car, so you shouldn't have any problem finding them at multiple dealers.

$19,000 seems ridiculously high for a 2007 Fit. Unless this is just an issue with the blue book listing in USD, but the asking price being in Canadian. I've heard that cars cost more in Canada, but that seems crazy.

Edit: Alright, looking around briefly they do seem to be insanely expensive in Canada. I don't believe Blue Book or Edmunds offer Canadian pricing reports, so you'll need to find some place that does. Alternatively, you could think about buying a car in the US since the retail will be cheaper. I'm not sure what other taxes/fees are involved to get it into Canada, but I'm near Detroit, and the dealership that I bought my car at does a lot of business with Canadian customers, so I assume the savings probably outweigh any extra fees.

Daenris on
  • Options
    PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I bought a 2008 Honda Fit Sport 5MT for $23k on the road from Calgary this past January, $2000 of that was in interest, 0.9% over 3 years. MSRP was $19,800. The 5MT also qualifies for a $1000 government rebate so really it came out to $22k.

There are sites that you can get the invoice price of the car from specifically for Canada. Do this, it's better to know where the bottom line is so you can decide what's a reasonable profit for the dealer.

Add no extras other than a block heater if your location requires it. Wheel locks, Slush mats, etc. etc. can be bought at Canadian Tire or the like for MUCH MUCH cheaper. Wheel locks costed me $100 when they're only $20 in the store. No extras include no rust proofing, extended warranty, fabric protection, and extra security features.

One point, the Honda Fit does not come with a cargo cover for the trunk. This is something I wanted and i got it for $150 when the dealer's 'normal' price is $300.

Go in with a lump sum price in mind. Never, ever deal in monthly payments.

Aside from that, be very cautious and be ready for a fight. You can be nice with a car sales man, but never forget that his JOB is to get more money out of you. They will tire you out, but if you want that awesome deal you need to be alert. And the minute he figures you're going to be playing "hard ball", he is going to try to find some way to sneak in some more items to pad the cost.

Edmunds.com has some really good tips for buying. I suggest you go over that stuff if you haven't already.

With all that said, if you really want a good deal, drive down to the states and order the car from there. You will save thousands of dollars and even if the dealer takes you for a ride, you'll be doing better than everyone that buys one in Canada. I didn't have the time or the people to help me do this so i got stuck paying ~$4000 more.

One caveat about this though, make sure Honda will honour the warranty. Car companies have been catching on to people doing this and sometimes they won't honour the warranty in Canada if bought in the states.

Good luck.

Precursor on
    Quashdom.png
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just thought I'd mention, you may need a friend with a US address to buy a car in the US (alot of dealerships are requiring this now, according to the news, due to their lower prices) but apparently some of them are using their salesman's address instead, eitherway may not be so easy.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If the salesman starts to get pushy, or is refusing to go as low as you want them to, just walk the fuck away. How many hundreds of thousands of cars are sold in Canada each year? You sure as hell don't have to buy yours through them. There's always other salespeople, other dealers, even other provinces. Even if it means you'll have to wait longer, if things aren't going your way, don't try and haggle and cajole, just leave.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Why the heck are cars so much more expensive in Canada? If someone in the States tried to sell me a Honda Fit for $23K I would shit my pants laughing.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    JerryJerry Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Why the heck are cars so much more expensive in Canada? If someone in the States tried to sell me a Honda Fit for $23K I would shit my pants laughing.

Historically, weaker dollar.

Currently, greed.
    Stupid greedy bastards...

Jerry on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Jerry wrote: »

Currently, greed.

Damn, I just checked and the MSRP for the Fit Sport Auto is $16K. That's a pretty damn ridiculous mark-up, considering that the US/Can exchange rate is basically even right now.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you can gather up $5K for a down payment, dealers are more willing to work with you on the APR because you're showing that you have the money and you aren't going to be one of the people they fleece with APR's over 5-6 years.

Now, I know you don't want advice on the car, but this can give you leverage with the dealer if you're strong in negotiating skills. The Fit is noisy on the road, more noisy than the Yaris or Nissan Versa. Use that as a bargaining chip when trying to go after the price. It also is less safe in a rear end collision than a Yaris or Versa. Emphasize this enough and that you can't buy the car unless they concede on price a bit more.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Some dealers will not offer warranty across the border, and if the car is not North American manufactured, you'll have to pay duty. If you're looking at a model that is American made, and a manufacturer that will honour the warranty, definitely buy South of the border. There's a process to it and paperwork and all that fun shit, but it costs a couple hundred bucks to file everything and oh look you just saved five grand. It's worth it if your circumstances are right. Google will fill in all of the really picky details, there are websites dedicated to this.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just a heads up, the Honda Fit is manufactured in Japan.

Precursor on
    Quashdom.png
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Also, another heads up, alot of American versions of cars we get in Canada lack features (even on the base model.) Make sure your American Fit will have all the same features as a Canadian Fit. (Example, most American Jaguars/Land Rovers lack heated seats, and the Land rovers of old lacked sunroofs from the basemodel, but they come standard in Canada. I realise this isn't Honda, but I don't know if Honda also does this. Make sure you look into that and if there are differences if those differences are worth the price to you.)

Wezoin on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jerry wrote: »

Currently, greed.

Yeah, that is insane. Isn't the Canadian dollar worth MORE than the U.S. dollar right now? I'm surprised that Canadians aren't throwing a fit... or are they? Not much international news leaks into the States, even from our friends across the northern border.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095