As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mount & Blade 0.808 check end of OP

• Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Last night, I played with a brand new character and unfortunately, I got surrounded by stepp bandits, solo, at level 3. There were not many but I kept reloading my save many times to get out of there. It was quite invigorating and I realized some advice for newbies, if you fight a mix of mounted and groundpounders, run away and fight the horsemen behind the hill, the ground guys will spend most of the time running to catch up to you while you battle the horsemen, if they catch up, run away to the far corner of the map and continue against the horsemen. then, once the horsemen are down, take one of their horses to ride instead of your badly damaged one and take down the remaining enemies.

Also, never charge at archers if they've got a bow in their arrow, mega damage pain :(.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    Raze_EverythingRaze_Everything Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Vic wrote:
    snip

uninstall the mod?

also, attacking castles sucks. my guys line up on the ramp and get killed, rarely being able to figure out how to get over the wall. then if/when I get there, I sometimes get stuck in the wall.

Its kinda cheap but me and my friends just drop down to your guy and the 2 support charactrs and storm it over and over till you win.. even if you get knocked out you just lose some gold and you can go back up and try again. Eventually you'll wear the castle down and win then take the troops you get from it and then go right back and stash them and go do it all over again at the other castle.

Raze_Everything on
    RazeEverything.png
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    J3p wrote:
    Last night, I played with a brand new character and unfortunately, I got surrounded by stepp bandits, solo, at level 3. There were not many but I kept reloading my save many times to get out of there. It was quite invigorating and I realized some advice for newbies, if you fight a mix of mounted and groundpounders, run away and fight the horsemen behind the hill, the ground guys will spend most of the time running to catch up to you while you battle the horsemen, if they catch up, run away to the far corner of the map and continue against the horsemen. then, once the horsemen are down, take one of their horses to ride instead of your badly damaged one and take down the remaining enemies.

Also, never charge at archers if they've got a bow in their arrow, mega damage pain :(.

See I'm at the point now where I just ram my horse into a huge group of archers. I just keep my kite shield up to protect me. :)

This LOTR mod intriques me. Tell me more. Links are appreciated. The less work I have to do, THE BETTER.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Heir03 wrote:
    J3p wrote:

See I'm at the point now where I just ram my horse into a huge group of archers. I just keep my kite shield up to protect me. :)

This LOTR mod intriques me. Tell me more. Links are appreciated. The less work I have to do, THE BETTER.

How about all the mods, and NO work? Eh? EH? :winky:

Giant thread of mods.

You're very welcome.

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Heir03 wrote:
    J3p wrote:

You should be pretty grateful that all you have to deal with is AI, there. If you were going against human players, you would almost immediately end up walking towards that huge group of archers. That is, if they didn't fill you with arrows while you were in the middle of falling.

jothki on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I just remembered how long it took me to figure out how to use lances on horseback properly. It seemed reasonable to use the attack button to thrust with the polearm, timing it to hit the target exactly, but you're only supposed to resort to jabbing with lances when you're not charging.

So I stuck with getting a running start untill my lance leveled into a striking position and let it contact my target without pressing any buttons. That thing can hit for like 80 damage sometimes, it's a real instant-kill method in the game.

I usually stick to 1-handed clubs and falchions when finishing off my typical archery victims, though. I should play through again with a lancer-type character.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    jothki wrote:
    Heir03 wrote:
    J3p wrote:

You should be pretty grateful that all you have to deal with is AI, there. If you were going against human players, you would almost immediately end up walking towards that huge group of archers. That is, if they didn't fill you with arrows while you were in the middle of falling.

Which is why we don't have multiplayer.

Also, because god hates us.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Utsanomiko wrote:
    So I stuck with getting a running start untill my lance leveled into a striking position and let it contact my target without pressing any buttons. That thing can hit for like 80 damage sometimes, it's a real instant-kill method in the game.

Buy a fast horse & strong lance, improve your polearm, powerstrike, and riding skills, and you will do 200 easy, taking out ten men in a single charge.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    SniperGuy wrote:
    jothki wrote:
    Heir03 wrote:
    J3p wrote:

Which is why we don't have multiplayer.

Also, because god hates us.

Oh I'm well aware that against human opponents I would be advised NOT to do that, but this AI is so dumb that it's a valid strategy against them.

Heck, I like to pretend that a lot of people from those homes for Down Syndrome kids broke out and grabbed some bows. The enemy king was hurting for troops so badly that he went ahead and enlisted them. :)

Anyone have a strategy for how to stay alive when you get knocked of your horse? I find that I get swarmed and can't get away fast enough before my shield is busted and I'm SOL. The only thing I manage to do sometimes is call all of my troops to me and hope they can disperse the crowd some.

Also, equipping my two named guys. Can I only do it with that buy/sell screen when I talk to them? Because I'm not a fan of losing a bunch of money when I give them stuff that I loot.

Oh yes, thank you for the link to the mod orgy. Much appreciated.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Bew! Bew! Bew!Bew! Bew! Bew! Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Heir03 wrote:
    Anyone have a strategy for how to stay alive when you get knocked of your horse? I find that I get swarmed and can't get away fast enough before my shield is busted and I'm SOL. The only thing I manage to do sometimes is call all of my troops to me and hope they can disperse the crowd some.

just hope you can knock an enemy off of a horse, or that a stray one wanders by you. otherwise, your hp = your horses hp pretty much. once your steed dies, you're pretty much dead too.

Bew! Bew! Bew! on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Heir03 wrote:

just hope you can knock an enemy off of a horse, or that a stray one wanders by you. otherwise, your hp = your horses hp pretty much. once your steed dies, you're pretty much dead too.

I actually do a lot of my work on foot, with a bow or with throwing axes.

There is nothing like throwing an axe into the face of an oncoming lancer and stealing his horse as his corpse slides off it, then using that horse to ride to freedom.

With a lot of the weaker enemies you can just headshot them as they get close to you, and from further distance pepper their feet/legs with arrows to make them drop their guard.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I love throwing an axe high up into the air, towards the enemy, then 5 seconds later seeing "HEADSHOT, 120 damage, killed enemy".

anyways, trying out this rome mod and.. eh? seems so unfinished which it probably is. hard to pretend its rome when the towns and everyone in em look like vanilla M&B. also, is it possible to get marnid in your party? he wants padded cloth, but with all the original items cut out and new ones added in..

also, walking around outside is fucking annoying, hearing that stupid punching effect as the stepping sound = lose

Bew! Bew! Bew! on
  • Options
    jarbornzajarbornza Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    This needs a multiplayer mod so bad.

Fucking battles, team vs. team or co-op would be absolutely amazing.

jarbornza on
    WII: 3488-2671-2401-8732
    In the middle of the sex my hard-on would wane away!
  • Options
    EntropyEntropy Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    is it possible to get marnid in your party? he wants padded cloth, but with all the original items cut out and new ones added in..

There should be padded cloth in the chest in that room.

Entropy on
  • Options
    PenguinSephPenguinSeph Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    This looks nice, downloading trail.

Anyone now if this is still being worked on?

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    This looks nice, downloading trail.

Anyone now if this is still being worked on?
    Yes, but we haven't heard word from the guy who created the thing yet. He made a post on the 18th, but it was in the Turkish forum.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    no no no..

crossbow...

get off your horse and stand behind it. Then head shot every son of a bitch who rides your way. One by one the horses they ride will gallop to a slow stop near your horse. Soon you will have a castle made of horses that will prevent anyone from getting near you while you can snipe.

This tatic is insanely fun.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    This game is too good for it's thread to be page 2'd. I'm buing this as soon as I get some money!

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I axed a friendly soldier in the back of the head :(.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    The Ax is the only way to go in this game. It is a glorious feeling when you ride through a mob of soldiers, swinging your axe and dropping them like the beheaded corpses they are. I bought this game when it was $7 and I still play it off and on.

The stand-behind-your-horse thing works really well, using a bow and arrow to drop them as they charge then the axe to chop out horses from underneath the riders. I've perfected it so one swing will drop the horse, then as they are falling to the ground the next swing whips off their head.

This is very satisfying.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'd kill for a GHOUL sort of damage modelling in this game. I also highly recommend Dukes and Mercs for a later Medieval feel to the game.

I've been playing as an Arquebusier for a good while, and the musket really is something different from the crossbow or long bow.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    takes 5 times as long to reload?

playing shield in the water. kinda annoying how EVERY mounted knight you come across is an expert in horseback archery. its kinda like playing a flight combat game where every agile fighter you fight has a rear gunner.

Bew! Bew! Bew! on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Horseback axery is awesome. Nothing like that feeling you get when you cut down two Gondor Knights in one charge.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    So I started playing the Star Wars mod for this and it's pretty good. It's a lot of fun riding and war Kuduu into a group of Stormtrooper, cutting down a few of them, then turning around, whipping out your gun and shooting someone in the face.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    jarbornza wrote:

Apparently this will be in M&B2.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Nibble wrote:
    jarbornza wrote:

There's going to be a M&B2?

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Nibble wrote:
    jarbornza wrote:

Considering there's not actually a M&B1 yet, I think making any speculations about M&B2 is a little premature.

Hamju on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    So...I suck at the LotR mod. Any suggestions? I can't get an army raised before I get swarmed with huge orc armies.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Story Mod is my personally fav right now. It adds a lot to the game without altering the core game to much.

I kinda wish I could give my soldiers new equipment. Like you can with the Heroes. Mainly I just want to start making them uniform. So my army doesn't look like a ragtag bunch of farm folk.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Hamju wrote:
    Nibble wrote:
    jarbornza wrote:

Considering there's not actually a M&B1 yet, I think making any speculations about M&B2 is a little premature.

Nah, the guy said there would be a M&B2 and it would have multi.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    SniperGuy wrote:
    Hamju wrote:
    Nibble wrote:
    jarbornza wrote:

Nah, the guy said there would be a M&B2 and it would have multi.

Yeah, it's mainly since the number one suggestion for this game is ADD MULTIPLAYER PLZ on the forums for it, but the engine is not built at all for multiplayer - so if there is to be any multiplayer you'll be looking at M&B2 for it.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Hamju wrote:
    So I started playing the Star Wars mod for this and it's pretty good. It's a lot of fun riding and war Kuduu into a group of Stormtrooper, cutting down a few of them, then turning around, whipping out your gun and shooting someone in the face.

Woah, this sounds awesome. Is it in the megathread of mods? Didn't see it first pass... (but wasn't looking too hard).

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    It should be. If memory serves the mod is supposed to take place on Dantooine to take advantage of the Jedi enclave and give some credence to everything.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    What I really want is a Dune mod. Playing as a Fremen Death Commando would be hot. Literally and all else.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Oh GOD yes.

Fremen Death Commando + bunch of party members destroyed Harkonen invaders, maybe riding on a fucking sandworm or something.

Oh FUCK.

/jizz

fsmith1 on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I can't believe I haven't tried this yet. Time to jump into the deep end...

edit: holy shit I played this for the last three hours.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Talonrazor wrote:
    Hamju wrote:

Woah, this sounds awesome. Is it in the megathread of mods? Didn't see it first pass... (but wasn't looking too hard).
    Last time I checked the link in the giant list of mods was broken, so here you go.

Hamju on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Alright, just bought this. I figure even if I don't play the game after it's out of beta I've still supported them in making it better.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    C'mon, this thread is dying. Am I the only person on the forum who hasn't played this before?

Anyways, I was bringing a large shipment of salt (about 9 bags of them) from the salt mines to Zendar, when three bands of 8-10 River Pirates jumped me. I was literally seconds away from town when it happened. In the proceeding battle, my horse was killed and they took every bag of salt I had. I was so pissed.

I'm on Realistic mode, too. But I find it enjoyable to roll with the punches, both good and bad. I've more than made up for it, even though alot of my shipments have been jacked.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I've averaged a good many hours in thus far. I just sort of freelance and do the vigilante thing because I can't be bothered to escort or carry anything.

The war parties and armies in Expanded Gameplay are crazy though. Ninety men against my thirty hardly seems fair, but fighting the Order of Light and being taken out in a blaze of glory rocks out hard.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png