As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Leasing two apartments

Project MayhemProject Mayhem Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
If you read my last thread, thanks for the advice. I'm currently on a lease at one apartment complex, and have applied to another due to roommate troubles. Now, my original lease isn't up for six months, so I'm know that I can't do anything about that (aside from subleasing, which I am putting ads out for). Now I've already applied at another place, the credit check cleared (I have good credit), work cleared (good steady job, decent money) and all they're waiting on now is to get proof of residency from the other place (which they should get tomorrow).

But I'm a worrier, will they care that I'm still on another lease? I know some people have to have two apartments, I just never thought I'd be one of them! As a side note I can afford both. And I talked to the lady at the new place today and she said clear it as soon as they get the proof of residency back from the other place, so I'm assuming they're really just checking to see if I've really rented before... Does anyone know what "proof of residency" checks involve? Should I be worried?

Project Mayhem on

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    no they won't so long as you pay

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, they shouldn't care. Some (crazy) people have dozens of apartments rented all over the place. Well, I guess if you travel around a great deal it's not too crazy... but it's definitely not unheard of.

Ugh, I can't seem to speak in direct sentences. I'm leaving that last one so I can be deservedly giggled at. Anyways, they won't mind.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I was in this situation once and the 2nd apartment, the place I was applying to, DID care. "how u pay for aprt???" "Well, I make more than enough to cover both rents so--" "HOW U PAY????"

So there's a possibility they will give you crap. Just keep repeating that you can pay them until they give in. (It could be I was just really unlucky with that apartment complex, hopefully most of them don't do that.)

LadyM on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aye, that's unusual. Was it a person-to-person rental situation giving you grief, or was it a company? That's unprofessional of them to question you on it if you obviously had the money to pay. A halfway decent company wouldn't give you crap about it if your salary makes it obvious that you can afford to do it.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How dare you continue to pay them.

By which I mean, no, they really shouldn't care.

Khavall on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aye, that's unusual. Was it a person-to-person rental situation giving you grief, or was it a company? That's unprofessional of them to question you on it if you obviously had the money to pay. A halfway decent company wouldn't give you crap about it if your salary makes it obvious that you can afford to do it.

well I guess it depends on what they consider "obviously"; around here some places wanted you to have an income 3.5 times the monthly rent, which seemed to me to be totally insane (and which I would absolutely not have if not for the fact that our stipend technically actually pays us the tuition and we then pay it back, instead of just having zero tuition)

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    Project MayhemProject Mayhem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well the rental lady doesn't seem to concerned, she finally got the proof of residency and called me and said she just needed to have the apartment manager sign off on it and I'd be good, so hopefully she'll be calling me back within the next few hours. I'll keep you guys up to date if anyone is curious.

Project Mayhem on