As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

More Traditional Photos, OP Changed 56k

SueveSueve Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Artist's Corner
CIMG4415.gif
sunset.gif
dfadsff.jpg
sun.gif
tree.jpg

Sueve on

• Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    They're very nice photoshop filters, yes.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Seriously.

Try making something without resorting to special effects.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    They're very nice photoshop filters, yes.

?

thats pretty offensive really, as I definitely believe that the work that i put into make these aesthetically pleasing was more than applying any "photoshop filters". Especially because other than the color halftone on the eyes of two of the pictures, there aren't any filters being used...

Sueve on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The techniques in play in the pictures i've made mainly focus on simultaneous contrast of colors and the golden ratio... not any photoshop filters.

Sueve on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You would think the golden ratio wouldn't lead to such horrendously ugly pictures.
    G9YTSVP239aceqgkunJmmTlG_500.jpg

This is a neon glow and light filter, looks like.

wtf.jpg

And these don't look aesthetically pleasing at all. They look like colorful vomit. They might have been decent photographs to start off with, but you've mangled them with a bunch of cheap electronic tricks.

Seriously, what do you think you've accomplished here?

Brolo on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    troll?

Greatnation on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh god my eyes.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sueve wrote: »
    The techniques in play in the pictures i've made mainly focus on simultaneous contrast of colors and the golden ratio... not any photoshop filters.

I'm afraid the golden ratio + applied colour theory does nog equal succes...

I liked the first thing you posted the best, when i saw that i thought the rest of your stuff was going to be all designerish. I was thinking book covers and such.

Maybe you went a bit overboard on well... everything...
    the pop-art like pattern actually flattens and diminishes the value of the things you made.

Also, using 2 differnt simultaneous contrasts in one piece (red/green and purple/yellow) kinda defeats the purpouse of using said contrasts. Want to know more about succesfully using purple/yellow contrast? Check out Vincent Van Gogh's later works.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    this all looks like album covers from the 90's

spaceman?

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    G9YTSVP238dkvufdFKhMrvdn_500.jpg

How many times are you going to post this picture here and have people tell you that it's ugly?

I'd suggest picking up a couple of books on graphic design and maybe take a class too on the matter. You don't quite seem to understand how this whole thing works. Just because you do a couple of quick tricks to a photo with a piece of software doesn't mean that it's worth showing to other people.

Grifter on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think unfortunately that if someone thinks you've done something using a photoshop filter then generally it doesn't really matter if you have or you haven't, you've gone wrong somewhere.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Grifter wrote: »
    G9YTSVP238dkvufdFKhMrvdn_500.jpg

How many times are you going to post this picture here and have people tell you that it's ugly?

I'd suggest picking up a couple of books on graphic design and maybe take a class too on the matter. You don't quite seem to understand how this whole thing works. Just because you do a couple of quick tricks to a photo with a piece of software doesn't mean that it's worth showing to other people.

ive posted it twice, once in the doodle thread on accident

Sueve on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    you copied a bunch of design techniques without any underlying understanding of why they work.

your stuff looks lousy.

yes, sometimes creating contrasting colorspaces in geometric shapes using source images can look good, but only in the hands of someone who really, really knows what and why they are doing it.

sorry, kid, but that ain't you.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Alright, I changed the photos in the OP

Sueve on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Your photos look quite a lot better, although they seem to be pretty horribly compressed - there's lots of dithering going on in the first four. Are you using photoshop to resize these?

Brolo on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    The second one is pretty nice. The rest of them are suffering from some very big issues like understanding the basics of photography. Things like focusing and light exposure need to be learned, as well as being able to frame your subject properly. Again, I suggest you invest some time in reading up on the basics of the art form.

Grifter on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The third shot it looks like you were too close to the flowers while using your flash. You have to be careful with flashes, especially an on-camera flash, getting close like you were causes blowouts and usually just really flat lighting. You can remedy it a bit by bouncing the flash with your hand or paper. Or even diffusing the light by taping kleenex or paper in front of the flash (even a t-shirt works).

Second picture is my favorite. The last one could have been more interesting if as grifter mentioned the focus wasn't really so random and the glare wasn't there.

You'd probably get a lot more suggestions and critiques if you posted your photos in the Photo thread in the future. Just make sure to post them in no more than one thread.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't know very much about photography, but to me a lot of these images look very grainy.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This isn't meant to be harsh, but if I were you I'd read some books, or some online guides, practice practice practice, and then post some more. The second shot is ok, although it's also something quite easy to get a good shot of. I'd recommend looking here first;

http://www.berniecode.com/writing/photography/beginners/
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Beginners-guide-to-composition

Jake! on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oooo also, Erisian Pope has a bangup "For beginners" guide to photography, I would highly suggest taking a look at that. It should be in his sig in the photo thread.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just want to add, because this guy looks pretty green with the photography/photoshop thing, that the advice regarding photoshop filters = bad isn't exactly true.

You can get really great results from filters when they're used intelligently and to create a specific result, but it usually needs decent source material to work with. Snapping happy with your digital camera isn't always the way to getting decent source material, and you should stay away from photoshop filters unless you're trying to achieve a really specific result. Using photoshop well means people not being able to tell that you used photoshop.

I nth the 'read some books!' suggestion.

desperaterobots on