As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40k: Dis Thread Belongz to Da Orkz!

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Save that gauss hasn't been nerfed to oblivion. It no longer kills vehicles dead like it used to,

That is completely contradictory.

I think you need to consider that Necron were the best AV army in the game and are now nowhere near as good. Now they are just a terrible MEQ army with WBB and a terrible phase out rule facing high strength pie plates that never miss. It's REALLY hard now.
    So much schadenfreude right now.

No offense to you, personally :P

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Save that gauss hasn't been nerfed to oblivion. It no longer kills vehicles dead like it used to,

That is completely contradictory.

I think you need to consider that Necron were the best AV army in the game and are now nowhere near as good. Now they are just a terrible MEQ army with WBB and a terrible phase out rule facing high strength pie plates that never miss. It's REALLY hard now.
    So much schadenfreude right now.

No offense to you, personally :P

I don't like to see any army get brutally screwed over and then languish in agony with the horrible release schedule that GW has, which always ensures everyone has to wait for perfectly functional armies like marines to get a new codex. This is despite some armies (DE, Necron, IG) have been waiting a long time for a new codex have to wait further and you know, who actually need one.

I have never liked the way GW does its release schedules.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Brutally screwed over?

Jesus christ, lay off the hyperbole.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How about we all agree that I rock, and move on?

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Timspork's Creation
    MarineConversion.jpg

I follow suit
    awesome.jpg

Truly, Gods among men made these.[/QUOTE]

I've been out looking for scale Bears and Sharks. I've found something that might work in a pinch, but I'm keeping my options open.
    Wulf wrote:
    How about we all agree that I rock, and move on?

I second the motion and call the vote.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey guys, did anyone else see that US WD #344 will include A TERMINATOR or AN ORK, and if you have a subscription you get BOTH. :)

So uh who doesn't want their terminator?

Just in case people missed it in the last thread.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What kind of stuff do you get in an issue of white dwarf? Is it valuable stuff, fluff, painting/strategy tips? All of the above? Or is it generally a waste of time?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I actually enjoy the painting tips and the occasional freebies I get from it.

Wulf on
  • Options
    HompHomp Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    White Dwarf has consistently gotten better over the last few issues, especially since the Studio took back production. There has been a lot of good painting articles, especially about the new stuff like the Washes and what not.

I actually recommend a subscription now, where a few months ago I would have said to not waste your monies.

Homp on
    chosen7171-1.gif
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Okay I am reading through the Bolter and Chainsword guide and I have a quick question, will Penitent Eingines and Arcos be able to do holy rage, and Run in the same turn?

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yes.
    We went over this in the last thread; Holy Rage adds D6" to your movement, in the movement phase. Running is instead of shooting. I doubt that not shooting presents much of a problem to Arco-Flagellants, do you?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sorry I didn't see it in the last thread, and Arcos have a different things its stim injectors but my codex isn't in front of me so I am not sure what phase that is done in.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nax wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I've lurked the warhammer threads in these forums forever (and the PA forums as a whole for years), but I am just starting to get into playing.

Tonight will probably be my first game, and I have a couple of questions from my Blood Angels codex that I am sure you guys will be able to clear up for me :)

Tactical Squad!
    When the Tact squad numbers 10 Marines, I get to equip one of them with an extra heavy weapon. Now, if I then Combat Squad them into 2 groups of 5, I still get to keep the extra heavy weapon because the full squad before the split numbered 10, right?

Transports!
    I have been reading a lot about 5th Edition, and I know that transports will no longer be dedicated to the squad that they are attached too. However, If I remove the jump packs from my Assault Marines, I can assign them a rhino for free. I am assuming the cost of the rhino is covered by the cost of the jump packs that I have tossed aside. So, if I understand things correctly, I can then take this free rhino and let another squad use it? I don't know that I'd ever actually ditch jump packs on my Assault marines, I just mostly wanted to make sure I was understanding that option correctly come 5th.

I am pretty sure I had more questions, but have since forgotten them :) Anyways, thanks in advance! Hope to start posting more and more as I learn and can actually contribute

This got lost in the Necronmania that broke out.
    The short answer is "yes to both".

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thank you very much, Dayspring :)

I realized that my post was a little weird on terminology, as well. By "extra heavy weapon" I meant "one heavy weapon." I was considering the Flamer a heavy weapon, when it is not considered as such

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah.
    The combat squad thing is done during deployment anyways I believe, rather than during army creation. So you can split it or keep it as a 10-man from battle to battle. Which is pretty darn useful.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm re-read the B&C guide again.

Damn, they put some awesome art in it.

Anywho - I got to thinking about space marine meta-game. BA's seem to get a clutch thing with fast attack troop choices for objective taking. Troop choices are key now for objectives - so who's got the best basic troop to take? Who really takes a hard hit here with mediocre troops? I think Horde armies really will shine with so many troops, one can assume they'll have a much easier go of it.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Damn you Wulf. I went to buy some paint and returned with three more Sentinels. I blame getting to paint the awesome Drop Sent that you sent me. Grrrr.

Oh well. I got one Cadian and two Mars, though I've taken a page from Wulf's book and have magnetized all the weapons, including the chainsaws on the Mars/Catachan. I had to stop assembling the first one so I can prime and paint the interior and pilot. Small preview, the Sentinel is stepping on an ork. :winky:

Once I go back an magnetize Capitan Ein's Lascannon, I'll have three Cadian Patterns, and three Mars patterns/ two Catachan and one Armageddon pattern. Plus the Drop Sent, which has an interchangeable Multilaser, Heavy Bolter, and Multimelta.

Which brings me to my next topic.

Sentinel Pilot Names! Anyone who wants their real name, forum name, or cool made up name immortalized on one of my Sentinels speak up now. I have six of them that need pilot names. Those selected will be promoted to Lieutenants (no enlisted in the sentinel corps!) and painted onto the cockpit of their new steed. I'll go with first come first served.

Ein doesn't need to apply (obviously) and neither do , SJ and Mr. Pitts since they both have Leman Russes named after them.

I'm going to try and keep the format the same. Example: Capt. "Jam Session" Ein. Also keep in mind there's not much room on these models so make sure the name is short.

Current Names:
    Captain “Jam Session” Ein
    Lieutenant “Healer” Rend Melenkir
    Lieutenant Stev "Hats" Ansahok
    Lieutenant "c.317" Eckerd

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rend Melenkir, reporting for duty, SIR!

Rend on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I'm looking for a bit of modeling advice. I'm making kustom bosspoles for my Ork Nobz by taking livery from the other races. Here's what I've got so far - what do you guys think? (Please ignore the mold lines and crappy paintjob - I view the models as unfinshed in those respects.)
    P1011457.jpg
    The two Nobz I've finished so far.

P1011458.jpg
    The Nob for my 'Ard Shoota Boyz has an Ultramarines banner vandalized with a red "WAAAGH!" and pictures of an Orkyface and choppa.

P1011459.jpg
    My Slugga Boyz' Nob uses a Chaos Marine trophy pole with Necron head and humie skull.

I'm trying to make bosspoles representing every other race, and I've been wondering: What's the Tau equivalent of a Marine banner or Ork bosspole? I could've sworn I saw a Fire Warriors leader (Shas'la? Shas'ui? I can't remember...) with some sort of banner, but it might have been a conversion since I can't find it on BWBits. Same kinda goes for Imperial Guard, but I'm not too worried about Tyranids just yet. I intend to pick up an Eldar Dire Avengers twin-banner and a second Chaos trophy pole (hopefully different than the one I have now).

Also, I'd like to hear any of your suggestions regarding something like this. Making my own glyphs out of plasticard is out right now, but I intend to do it soon. Thanks!

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Damn you Wulf. I went to buy some paint and returned with three more Sentinels. I blame getting to paint the awesome Drop Sent that you sent me. Grrrr.

Oh well. I got one Cadian and two Mars, though I've taken a page from Wulf's book and have magnetized all the weapons, including the chainsaws on the Mars/Catachan. I had to stop assembling the first one so I can prime and paint the interior and pilot. Small preview, the Sentinel is stepping on an ork. :winky:

<3 :winky: I was shocked I hadn't seen the weapons magnetized before honestly. I was all "Gee, I would hate for me to pick a sucky weapon for this thing to have... oh I'll just use them all!" heh

Wulf on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Guys, I got something big in the mail today.

GUO-002.jpg

:rotate:

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sentinel Pilot Names!

I'm totally signing up.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Ianator wrote: »
    So I'm looking for a bit of modeling advice.
    Also, I'd like to hear any of your suggestions regarding something like this. Making my own glyphs out of plasticard is out right now, but I intend to do it soon. Thanks!

I know you mentioned that the painting is unfinished, but I would just like to interject a little bit of advice. I can see you are base coating in a dark color (that green?), and it will be hard to cover it up with your brighter colors. You might want to consider using White Primer/base coat or light Grey, as both of these allow for solid darks and colors that pop without slopping on the paint.

Wulf on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Which brings me to my next topic.

Sentinel Pilot Names! Anyone who wants their real name, forum name, or cool made up name immortalized on one of my Sentinels speak up now. I have six of them that need pilot names. Those selected will be promoted to Lieutenants (no enlisted in the sentinel corps!) and painted onto the cockpit of their new steed. I'll go with first come first served.

Ein doesn't need to apply (obviously) and neither do , SJ and Mr. Pitts since they both have Leman Russes named after them.

I'm going to try and keep the format the same. Example: Capt. "Jam Session" Ein. Also keep in mind there's not much room on these models so make sure the name is short.

Current Names:

As a big fan of sentinels, though they never achieve much for me, I'll totally sign up for this.

Sharp101 wrote: »
    Guys, I got something big in the mail today.

GUO-002.jpg

:rotate:
    Thats pretty quick. I'm assuming the short turn around is because you bought it at a GD. It look awesome. And by "awesome", I mean "mind numbling horrific such that it would strip the sanity from lesser men".

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sentinel Pilot Names!

Lieutenant Stev "Hats" Ansahok reporting for duty! Ready to blast some filthy xeno scum, sir!

EDIT: Just noticed the format you want it in. "Hats" Ansahok, then.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wulf wrote: »
    Ianator wrote: »
    So I'm looking for a bit of modeling advice.
    I know you mentioned that the painting is unfinished, but I would just like to interject a little bit of advice. I can see you are base coating in a dark color (that green?), and it will be hard to cover it up with your brighter colors. You might want to consider using White Primer/base coat or light Grey, as both of these allow for solid darks and colors that pop without slopping on the paint.
    Yeah, they're painted with Dark Angels Green. The only other green I have is Goblin Green, and that's way brighter than what I'm going for - though in hindsight, I probably could've just either darkened the Goblin or brightened the DA.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Pick up orkhide shade from the foundation line. It's a great colour for ork skin.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd sign up but I can't think of a name to go with my handle right now.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Law, are you coming to Maplewood this Sunday? :D

Ein on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sentinel Pilot Names!
    If you've still got space, I'd like my board name to live forever on a tiny plastic warmachine.

Rank "c.317" Eckerd

Fluff wise, I suppose he could be constantly quoting that as a favorite bit of advice from the Imperial Infantrymans Uplifting Primer, or an entry in the Imperial Munitorium Manual

see317 on
  • Options
    Dirty JobDirty Job Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    100_2784.jpg

One of the first models I painted for my mostly justforfun Catachan army. Other than this guy, I have a finished sentinel and several more in the works.

Now, I've been trying to sell my Sisters of Battle army for quite some time now. I've been rather busy though, and haven't been able to get the proper pictures out for a while, so here they are.

The whole lot (Not including the dice/army transport)
    100_2788.jpg

The rulebook
    100_2791.jpg

Tokens, template, tape measure and bags of bitz
    100_2792.jpg
    100_2796.jpg

Standard Sister units (Each with a direct-order only unit champion)
    100_2789.jpg

Mostly painted Seraphim
    100_2793.jpg

Celestine, Cannoness' and the Hospitalier model
    100_2794.jpg

(From left to right) Immolator, Whirlwind, Rhino Chassis
    100_2797.jpg

Extra Sisters (Flamers, Heavy Bolters, Stormbolters and regular Sisters)
    100_2795.jpg

The Carrying Case, able to hold all of the above.
    100_2799.jpg
    100_2800.jpg

All of this comes with a set of 36 custom Sisters of Battle dice, as well as standard 40k dice such as Scatter and range dice. (in a very nice, matching bag I might add)

There has been a lot of interest, but if you are interested, the current offer is $325US. Please email me at mistorpotatomoto@gmail.com for more information.

Dirty Job on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    100_2794.jpg

Tell me how you get that effect on the golden areas like her shoulder pad, TELL ME NOW

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Looks like Chestnut ink to me :P

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have no freakin clue, I've been trying all sorts of different effects with metals, and I've never found a painting article so that I can mimic that and then try my own variations.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    Dirty JobDirty Job Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    leaf wrote: »
    I have no freakin clue, I've been trying all sorts of different effects with metals, and I've never found a painting article so that I can mimic that and then try my own variations.

For wide, flat surfaces of gold, I like to use this technique:

1. Base of Bestial Brown (over black or white primer)
    2. Several coats of thinned down Shining gold to get a flat sheen
    3. Chestnut ink (or from now on, ogyrn flesh wash)
    4. Once dry, paint on shining gold, slightly wet
    5. Once dry, generous coating of 'ard coat
    6. Once dry (again) hit the whole thing with Dull Cote

I do the dull cote over 'ard coat because it gives you a definite shine without making the model look slimy or wet. It's great if you're trying to achieve an enameled look.

StVirginidus2.jpg

Dirty Job on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Sentinel Pilot Names!

I'm totally signing up.
    Asher wrote:
    As a big fan of sentinels, though they never achieve much for me, I'll totally sign up for this.
    I'd sign up but I can't think of a name to go with my handle right now.

Since you guys responded I'll reserve the final three for you. Come up with a name and send it my way in the thread or a PM.

Here's the list so far.
    Current Names:
    Lieutenant Stev "Hats" Ansahok
    Lieutenant "c.317" Eckerd

Make sure I got everyone how they want it.
    First names are fine guys. If I can't fit it on the model I'll use it in battle reports if your unit does something awesome, (like survive the game):P

When, (not if) I get more sentinels I'll throw up another Pilot name request. I still need two more Drop Sentinels to fill that squadron and at some point I'll get three Armageddon ones. That doesn't include any new ones GW releases with the 5th edition IG codex (if any).

Oh and Wulf, I'd name the Sentinel you sent me after you, but you've got an entire Commissar with your name on it! (Which brings me to the problem of needing names for the other seven members of my Commissariat.) :winky:

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ha, I've got my own tank. I'm content with that.

And man, that celestine is really eating at me. The first thing I'm going to do once citadel washes hit Japan is take mine and redetail the wings. Probably the face too.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    ScribemiteScribemite Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Ein and NJ others: If you guys are surely getting together for a game, etc. this Sunday, I'd like to stop in. I live in King of Prussia, PA now, but I'm going to into my office in NJ Monday morning. Maplewood is not too far from my Jersey home base.

I don't have a complete force of anything right now. I just have a primed Cadian platoon, primed DKoK HQ squad and primed Leman. I'll bring this if you want, but... honestly... I don't really know how to play them as I've never played a game before (hope to rectify this at my local store Friday night).

Scribemite on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I just love that I have a Sentinel named after me somewhere. :D

Also, Tim, just a quick question.

At one point, you sent me a guardsman piece that was a forgeworld item. It was for my Gargant diorama - the guardsman who was running away used it to good effect. It was a right arm with a lasgun tucked in. Let's see if I can find the picture...

base31.jpg

It's like absolutely perfect for fleeing guardsmen. I'm wondering if you might have another laying around somewhere. I'd compensate you with some sort of various bitz I've got lying around, I just don't want to buy a buttload of Forgeworld stuff just to make one more fleeing guardsman. :P

Ein on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Scribemite wrote: »

Ein and NJ others: If you guys are surely getting together for a game, etc. this Sunday, I'd like to stop in. I live in King of Prussia, PA now, but I'm going to into my office in NJ Monday morning. Maplewood is not too far from my Jersey home base.

I don't have a complete force of anything right now. I just have a primed Cadian platoon, primed DKoK HQ squad and primed Leman. I'll bring this if you want, but... honestly... I don't really know how to play them as I've never played a game before (hope to rectify this at my local store Friday night).

Well, we are 100% getting our game on Sunday, so yes, please do come. :D Unless I am misunderstanding and you are asking to partake of future 40k games, in which case that is totally fine too.

You can totally join in, too. Da Orkz iz willin' ta make a couple 'ceptionz an' let weedy 'umies fight wif 'em so long az 'deyz got good stuff fer lootin', and a blow'd up Leman Russ iz a good start. :P

But in all seriousness, definitely come hang out. I'm happy to teach while we play, and you can help me move what will no doubt be a couple thousand points of orkz 'round the table along with your guardsmen.

Ein on