As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Supah-supah GURRLS!

eliseu gouveiaeliseu gouveia Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Artist's Corner
Somebody get them offa me, they´re everywhere!! :lol:

IMAGE_4874e50a3a1c2.jpg

First one who says they look too young gets a trout over the head, m´kay?

eliseu gouveia on

• Options
    AeonNightmareAeonNightmare Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    They look too young... and wouldn't skirt only while flying be a slight problem?

AeonNightmare on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well the title is technically "Super GIRLS" so I wouldn't say they're too young. Cool stuff as usual Eliseu!
    Inks are amazing.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I say they look alright, too. Though, why are the feet on Chocke Hold Girl and Wonder Wo..girl (?) loosing opacity? Also, if you drew some cool clouds, it would really make this awesome!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    They look too young...

Here, AeonNightmare, have some
    gendownedcar.gif
    :P

Thanks, Prospicience. :)

Thank you as well, MagicToaster. Yeah, the feet.. I was trying to play a bit with the lighting, maybe I went a bit overboard?

The idea for this piece was "Supergirls".
    I always thought DC shoudl gather their teenage heroines and do a team book akin to Birds of Prey, but an all-ages one targeted at the young female readers who like manga, cardcaptor sakura, chugo chara, etc.
    Kinda like a Bratz, Wynx or W.I.T.C.H. club comic. :)

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    AeonNightmareAeonNightmare Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aww, I wanted trout! That was the whole point of the first half of my comment. Honestly though, I think it looks neat but I'm a bit confused as who all of them are meant to be. I mean, supergirl, wondergirl and such are easy to tell, but some of the others elude me.

AeonNightmare on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks, man.

From left ot right, it´s

Stargirl (Justice Society of America)

Starlight (Infinity Inc)

Mary Marvel

Supergirl

Misfit (Birds of Prey)

Wonder Girl

DC has boatloads of teenage heroines just begging for a title all for themselves, so I decided to have myself some fun.

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm sorry, I can't help myself.
    DC has boatloads heroine, so I decided to have myself some fun.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The idea for this piece was "Supergirls".
    I always thought DC shoudl gather their teenage heroines and do a team book akin to Birds of Prey, but an all-ages one targeted at the young female readers who like manga, cardcaptor sakura, chugo chara, etc.
    Kinda like a Bratz, Wynx or W.I.T.C.H. club comic. :)

I could see it, it could focus a lot on the high school drama type of stuff. I'm imagining a mix between early Smallville, early Saved by the Bell, and Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

Also, excellent drawing.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So just curious, but what age are they supposed to be? Comic wise I'd put Misfit and Stargirl at 15/16, Wonder Girl and Supergirl at 18/19, and Mary and Starlight are into their 20s. From this pic I'd peg em all at about 15.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    <- detonates MagicToaster ^_^

Thanks, ManonvonSuperock! Yeah, something fun, light but action-packed. The trick is not to patronise the readers, kids these days are extremely enlightned and would never forgive a writer who treats them like babies.

Hey, Scooter! I was aiming more toward 11-14, about the age range of most magical girl shows.

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Some tricky angles on that one, good work.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Erik the HackErik the Hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    Some tricky angles on that one, good work.

Yeah, I was just admiring how well all of those angles and foreshortening were handled. That's a gorgeous piece of art! 8-)

Erik the Hack on
    sig1.gifsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Thanks, gang.

Now you´re spoiling me. ^_^

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    They all look sufficiently underage, but i'd say Supergirl's got a very mature face on 'er

RubberAC on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    I tend to not like super hero comic styles, but I have to say I've always enjoyed the work you post and really admire your inking. You manage to keep your figures from feeling stiff, its nice.

I'm not sold on the air brush coloring but its just a personal preference :P

Iruka on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    RubberAC wrote: »
    They all look sufficiently underage, but i'd say Supergirl's got a very mature face on 'er

I noticed that too. I think it has to do with the rendering from the angle that we see her. A youthful face has larger eyes set lower on the skull, resulting in more forehead. Ms Supes' forehead is barely displayed and her eyes are squinted. She does look to me like a 18-19 yr old with a 13 yr old rack because of it though.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    This has kind of been bothering me about the way you draw for a while now. You always seem to draw in the entirety of the lips. This always bothered me. It seems to look especially odd on Mary in this image. Also, Mary and Starlight seem to have fiveheads. Otherwise, I think it's a pretty cool image.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hey, guys, thank you so much for your posts and comments.

Sorry for ressurrecting this thread from the dead, but I didn´t feel like creating a whole new thread just for this. I guess we could call this thread "Zeu´s thread of re-imagined superheroes"

NO GODS. NO QUEENS. ONLY WOMAN. WONDER-WOMAN!

This is a concept I cooked up over at Comic Book Resources, following a thread about how posters would recreate Wonder Woman.

(It´s also the reason why there wasn´t new Lady of the Horde pages in the last couple days. ^_^)

ww0.jpg

The pitch: Anastasia with super-powers

IMAGE_48b5f5e78bfce.jpg

IMAGE_48b5f634e5fd1.jpg

IMAGE_48b5f649ac7cf.jpg

IMAGE_48b5f65f7ef3b.jpg

At the beginning of Bioshock, you can read the words "No Gods. No Kings. Only Man."
    I like that concept, because it´s exactly what i think of when I think of one of the ways I´d recreate Wonder Woman.

Step 1, I´d get rid of the mythological greek gods.
    I always thought that they steal too much protagonism from the ones who should be the real heroes of the story, the Themiscirian amazons.Why would a race of highly advanced, highly evolved immortal women worship a 3,000 years old,dead religion that revolved around worshipping a bunch of self-indulging creeps?
    By getting rid of them, you can attribute far more merit to the amazons who acchieved the point they are not due to some divine gift, but to the fruit of their labour, their efforts, rsilience and constant thrive to evolve.
    They gained immortality on their own, through their own perserverance, science or magic.
    It also bears a much more empowering message than the original: "The gods granted me immortality VS I gained mmortality on my own."

Step 2. I´d get rid of the queen.
    I don´t like monarchies, the idea that someone is destined to rule over others because some god said so. Democracy is not perfect, but I´d choose being a citizen over being a subdict any day of the year.
    My amazons are a meritocracy, a society where you advance on the strenght of your worth, not in which family you were born.

Step 3.
    Which brings us to the story I had in mind.
    The amazons instituted this meritocracy centuries ago, throwing the queen off pher pedestal. I imagine there was likely a gruesome civil war (otehrwise it would be boring storywise) and queen Hippolyta was believed killed.
    Centuries after, today, she resurfaces.
    In the patriarch world.
    Living with a mortal man who gave her a child, an all-american girl.
    With superpowers.

Step 4.
    Makiing Diana an all-american girl solves one of the problems I´ve always had with Wonder Woman: her custume. She´s not american, she´s an amazon princess and ambassador representing the proud nation of Themiscira, so why does she wear an american flag? Because she likes america? So does french president Nicholas Sarkozy, but you don´t see him drapping himself in the american flag when addressing the UN, do you?

No, my Diana was brought up by her mom, Queen Hippolyta and some yet-unnamed guy (I thought of calling him Steve Trevor, but that would be just too icky). She learned much of the amazon ways but like any other girl, she salivated at Billy HO´malley´s broad sholders in high school.

This gives us readers an "in". It´s hard to empathise with perfect princess from paradise land, born with a golden spoon in her mouth. But a princess fallen from grace? That´s GOLD!
    It has drama, and most important it has the sense of loss that WW´s origin lacks.
    A good superhero origin tale has a degree of tragedy to it.
    Superman lost his homeworld. Batman lost his parents. Peter Parker could have stopped the man who killed his uncle.
    And now, Diana ha lost her crown.

Step 5.

I really like the idea of a fallen princess struggling to regain her place in the world.
    Of course she´ll eventualy return to Themiscira and there shall be much @$$tkickery.
    She´ll have to face her "sisters" in the arena just like she originaly did under Marston and Perez´pen, but this time she´s not The Special One, with powers given to her by the goddesses.
    It´s another Wonder Woman pet peeve of mine.
    "All amazons are special but one is more special than others."
    The Contest of Champions where she faces the best of the best of the best always felt so fake to me because there is no valor in it.
    Sure, an amazons can lift a car in her best day, but WW can benchpress aircraft carriers!
    Where´s the fun, the challenge in that?

This way, you can finaly give the Contest of Champions the unsurmountable odds it always lacked, piting a NYPD rookie who moonlights as a superhero going up against seasoned, immortal amazons warriors with 3,000 years worth of combat under their belt. I salivate at the mere thought.

Step 6.
    Now of course I can already hear the DC boys groaning. "-Noooo, we can´t have a race of wimminz as powerful as Superman walking around. Superman smash. Wimminz -> kitchen."
    Chill.
    I´m sure one or two or twelve could occasionaly visit earth, but the vast majority of "dem wimminz" would be confined to whatever dimention Themiscira exists in, where I imagine they´d spend eternity days fighting off demon creatures bent of invading earth. How´s that sound? ^_^

Step 7.
    This also solves the issue of technological advancement.
    Themiscira is supposed to be a highly advanced society (unless this is Amazons Attack, where they´re basicaly a bunch of idiots who spent 3,000 years riding horses because flying cars is too much for their imagination)
    but I could never buy the idea of paradise island as an advanced society. Sorry, but if I spent my days walking at the beach at sunsets, chewing grapes and drooling at half naked women, I would have had zero incentives to develop Purple Ray emmiters.
    But fighting demons for all eternity? Now there´s an incentive to evolve. ^_^

Step 8.

Now this advanced society doesn´t have to have excelled only in science. Magic exists in the DCU, so they could just be really good craftswomen. Wonder Woman´s weapons (inherited from her mother when she fled the amazon nation), the golden lasso of truth, the unbreakable bracelets,the razor tiara, would have been forged by them. They would be weapons of war, not cute trinkets to dazzle Superman during late hours.
    I dislike the lasso of truth as a weapon. But a whip that can cut through metal like butter?
    There´s an endless number of things you could do with this weapon, it doesn´t have to be just a whip. It´s magic, remember?
    I confess I may have stretched a bit on the fact that it changes from bracelet to whip, I just never liked the way that rope hangs by her belt, there´s gotta be better ways to carry your weapon around. But I like the idea of her losing one of her defenses when she wants to summon her primary weapon.

Step 9 . Civil War
    "As long as there are two men around, there will be conflict."
    Same goes for women. I don´t buy the whole "there would be world peace if women were in charge". My amazons are not a homogenous group, they are divided in factions that cohexist peacefuly. Wonder Woman would be the catalist for the rift. The extremists VS the moderates, the monarchists VS the democratis, the amazons who hate the patriarch world VS the ones who wouldn´t mind paying a visit every now and again. Many of Wonder Woman´s archenemies would in fact be amazons, following her into the patriarch world to kill her and becoming supervillains themselves.

Point is, the amazons are a rich, untapped pool of great story material if you give them the protagonism and prominence that Hera and Athena and Aphrodite have enjoyed so far.

In the end, of course she wouldn´t regain her crown as the Princess of Themiscira. I hate monarchies, remember? No, in my book, they would do what Wonder Woman comics do best, the ole "come together in mutual understanding".with lots of hugs and xoxo.
    the amazons would welcome her in Themiscira during summer vacations or 2 weekend per month or whatever terms of custody allowed her to dump mom and crash at aunt Kleio´s place every once in a while to learn how not to get her derrière kicked by Artemis at the arena.

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't have the time to read through this now, but that art is beautiful. Either you have epic patience or unbelievable abilities to lay this stuff down fast.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The secret is.... I just don´t have a life. D:

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    jibjibjibjib Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    . and wouldn't skirt only while flying be a slight problem?

That's why the one behind her is smiling

jibjib on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    LOL
    I didn´t even notice that. ^_^

eliseu gouveia on