As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fun things to do in major cities

FromAlpha2OmegaFromAlpha2Omega Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm a recent university graduate about to travel abroad. I'm visiting New York, Tokyo, London and Paris, each for about 10 days. The purpose of the trip is to go to some job interviews and also get a sense of what it would be like to live there.

What do you recommend? I'm pretty much open to anything, e.g. visiting historical sites, good restaurants, cultural hotspots, etc.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FromAlpha2Omega on

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well since no one has answered, I guess I could put in a few suggestions. Now, mind you, I've never been to any of the cities, listed.

That being said, I would say for New York, just walk around and I'm sure there's a lot of stuff you can do. Statue of Liberty, Coney Island, Central Park, etc...

Paris, probably go to the Eiffel Tower. I probably spelled that wrong. Go to some resturants and enjoy their food. I would say this about any foriegn country. Enjoy their subtle differences in food.

Or just Google up a few things. I'm sure there are some tourist sites out there that would help quite a bit as well. Maybe more people will respond. Either way, have fun!

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you're wanting to do tourist things, just buy a guide book, lonely planet is probably the best bet there.

If you want to do things off the beaten track then I'd go to couchsurfing.com, make a profile, and find someone to meet up with when you get there who can tell you what's cool.

Jake! on
  • Options
    ElrosstElrosst Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    When i went to NYC last summer, I hit the museum of natural history, a couple broadway shows (Spamalot and The Wedding Singer), and walked through Soho, Chinatown, the Italian area.....amongst many other places. It was all fun. Just make sure you see as much of the city as possible

Elrosst on
  • Options
    Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis runs and runs and runs away BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, NY is great for that. All you have to do is pick a general location and walk around. You're pretty much guaranteed to see cool stuff. I recommend the Union Square/East village area. Or Lower East Side/Chinatown. Skip Washington Square Park this time around though, it's under renovation right now. See the WTC site if you need to have an emotional moment, but if you just want to go for curiosity there's not much there, it's just a giant hole in the ground. Uhh... Visit the Strand Bookstore. Walk down 5th and Madison Avenues and look at the window displays. Buy yourself a nice lunch at a deli hotbar, then take it to Central Park and have yourself a picnic.
    Oh, and museums and stuff too. See the Met and the Museum of Natural History. And the Cloisters is an excellent relaxing afternoon. But especially if you're there for a week or more, only schedule one museum per day if you can. They are all HUGE, have marble/stone/concrete floors, and if you try to do more than one in a 24 hour period you will burn out and your feet will hate you. Go to one in the morning, then spend the rest of the day moseying about.
    Also if you are there for a week, get an unlimited Metrocard. It's a flat rate for the whole week, you never have to think about it, and it WILL be cheaper than trying to eke out those two dollar fares every time.

Aurora Borealis on
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you hit the Museum of Natural History, the adjacent Planetarium is a must if you're into astronomy and whatnot.

Out of curiously, when will you be coming to the city? I'm planning on wandering around Manhattan a couple different days before I go back to school.

Reckless on