As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resident Evil 4

ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
So, I just spent the last two days playing RE4 with a friend. We only stopped to watch a movie, go grab a CD and sleep. Finished in just under 22 hours, I believe. I'm glad I got it off of my list of games I need to finish, but I'm sad that a second playthrough will lack the atmosphere of the first.

Anyways, I figured we could all talk about it, because everyone loves RE4.

JKKaAGp.png
Zombiemambo on

• Options
    zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Do you know who doesnt love RE4?
    Bin Laden

zanmatto on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think this is the best game
    I thoroughly look forward to 5

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This thread needs a late to the party in it's title. I remember playing this game on the friggn Gamecube a hojillion years ago. and it rocked.

Sirson on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It doesn't lose much on a second playthrough though, especially if you up the difficulty to pro.

Which version you playing, btw? The extra stuff you unlock from finishing is pretty awesome, especially on wii or ps2. All versions have merceneries though, which is goddam fantastic.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    God damn you, Mambo. Now I have to go buy RE4 for the Wii. I'm pretty sure its like a law or something whenever this thread appears.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If it's any consolation Dusda, it's goddam near perfect on the wii.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I know, I know. I just thought I had more time.

Dusda on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah...if you have a Wii, like fun, and don't have RE4, what the hell is wrong with you?

It's perfect.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well I have RE4 for the cube, played the hell out of it. I just told myself that I'd pick up the Wii edition the next time PA made an RE4 thread. Typically that happens in the fall. Anyway, enough about my misfortune to have fun. How much do Wii controls add to the game?

Dusda on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I bought a copy for my Wii at my local Blockbuster for $20 last week, I keep meaning to actually start playing it but I never get around to it, atleast I actually have a copy now

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    At the end boss we sold just about everything to fully upgrade the Broken Butterfly and get as many upgrades as possible for the Striker. 3 shots later he was dead. Can't wait to try out the Infinite Launcher and the Chicago Typewriter.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My brother has played through this game more than 80 times, no exaggeration. Currently, he is playing through both a infinite launcher no-getting hit game, and a ungraded shotgun and grenade green herb game.

Needless to say, he likes it.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Minor enemy spoilers:
    Could have sworn there were lizardmen in this game. I anticipated them for ages and totally forgot by the time we had gotten to the island.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sirson wrote: »
    This thread needs a late to the party in it's title. I remember playing this game on the friggn Gamecube a hojillion years ago. and it rocked.
    ...the game came out 3 years ago.

Are you, by any chance, 4 years old?

Anywho, there is literally no one who should not play this game.

Graviija on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I played the PS2 version.

It... it was good.
    I see zombies whenever I close my eyes now. Spanish ones.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dusda wrote: »
    Well I have RE4 for the cube, played the hell out of it. I just told myself that I'd pick up the Wii edition the next time PA made an RE4 thread. Typically that happens in the fall. Anyway, enough about my misfortune to have fun. How much do Wii controls add to the game?

They add a lot - aiming becomes a breeze and headshots become really easy to pull off - it turns Krauser in merceneries into a monster (arrow to the face kills all but the toughest dudes in one shot). It doesn't make it too easy though, it just feels right.

Also note that the wii version has the difficulty of the PAL cube/PS2 versions, so there are fewer drops and enemies are sometimes tougher. Plus you get Seperate Ways, which is actually quite good, about 10 hours long, although it does suffer in that anything made for the PS2 version didn't have the poly count or texture quality upped for the wii version (so Ada's shotgun looks a bit chunky, and the boat chapter has pretty poor quality textures).

It also has a movie viewer so you can rewatch any of the cutscenes whenever you want.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I owe this game so very much.

Including my lost virginity.

Nothing is so endlessly replayable.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't care much for RE4

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah this game is definitely amazing, I remember my bro was like "I hate resident evil, I wont play any of them" then I made him play RE4 and he stayed up for a day and beat it in one sitting, then went through again the next day, and a couple times after that...RE4 is fucking amazing, it converted my bro in a matter of minutes, I cannot wait for RE5.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    I don't care much for RE4

Filthy heathen.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    thorpe wrote: »
    I owe this game so very much.

Including my lost virginity.

Nothing is so endlessly replayable.

Wut

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited July 2008
    zanmatto wrote: »
    Bin Laden

what about that guy who came to the forums all the time, complaining about how Capcom betrayed him and RE by changing the game play? He'd rant and rant and rant... It was hilarious.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    Bin Laden

what about that guy who came to the forums all the time, complaining about how Capcom betrayed him and RE by changing the game play? He'd rant and rant and rant... It was hilarious.

Well when they turn horrible gameplay into great gameplay, somebody is bound to get hurt.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    Bin Laden

I was always surprised he could get internet in his afghanistan cave.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i dunno i just got this from goosez, and granted i only gave it 30 minutes but so far i was meh on it.

the aiming system was nice but damn i hated the camera and it felt very clunky. probably just need more time on it

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    mts wrote: »
    i dunno i just got this from goosez, and granted i only gave it 30 minutes but so far i was meh on it.

the aiming system was nice but damn i hated the camera and it felt very clunky. probably just need more time on it

It takes getting used to, but the control system actually works quite well. Turning takes a bit too long.

And if you hate the camera, well....there's no fixing that.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i don't know if its the camera, but the whole turning to see enemies coming at you from a different side. half the time i end up loking at my feet

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    mts wrote: »
    i don't know if its the camera, but the whole turning to see enemies coming at you from a different side. half the time i end up loking at my feet

Listen, if the controls in Killer 7 became second nature to me, the controls in RE4 can become second nature to you. 30 minutes isn't enough to adjust to a control system so different from everything else.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    the Mayor of Painthe Mayor of Pain Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I love the Wii version of this game. I never had as much fun with the GC controls, and with all the extra features, it's really one of my favorite games on the Wii. Hell, it's one of the few games I've been able to turn even my family on to (my dad demanded that I only play it when he was around so that he could see the story). No kidding.

the Mayor of Pain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I didn't like the stop'n'aim.

Gamecube was terrible for that.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    When the chainsaw motherfucker appeared?

I fell in love.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    War BastardWar Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BlackDove wrote: »
    When the chainsaw motherfucker appeared?

I fell in love.

I shit my pants, cried then fell in love. Perfect relationship.

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I love the Wii version of this game. I never had as much fun with the GC controls, and with all the extra features, it's really one of my favorite games on the Wii. Hell, it's one of the few games I've been able to turn even my family on to (my dad demanded that I only play it when he was around so that he could see the story). No kidding.

Your dad wanted to see Resi4 for the story.... ? o_O

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Evil-PantsEvil-Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    RE4 was fucking awesome, espeically the part where you fortify the house and fight off a Zombie attack. As much as a I like the traditional Zombie, the RE4 Zombie was a nice change of pace. Also the atmosphere was dank, fetid and horrible...perfect for epic Zombie genocide.

The knife fight where you to had to hit the right buttons to pass the cutscene was less awesome however.

Evil-Pants on
  • Options
    the Mayor of Painthe Mayor of Pain Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »

Your dad wanted to see Resi4 for the story.... ? o_O

Largely because it felt like a movie to him, with the way the story presented itself. And yeah, he liked watching me shoot shit too, trust me!

the Mayor of Pain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Evil-Pants wrote: »
    RE4 was fucking awesome, espeically the part where you fortify the house and fight off a Zombie attack. As much as a I like the traditional Zombie, the RE4 Zombie was a nice change of pace. Also the atmosphere was dank, fetid and horrible...perfect for epic Zombie genocide.

The knife fight where you to had to hit the right buttons to pass the cutscene was less awesome however.

What.

That was one of my favorite parts.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Evil-Pants wrote: »

What.

That was one of my favorite parts.

Have a complimentary
    287786LRtp_w.jpg

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    War BastardWar Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dude the whole "hold up in this house" and defend against a shitload of zombies was one of gamings greatest moments.

I remember the first time playing that I was sooo happy I had Luis there because fighting off scores of zombies locked in a house by myself is something from my nightmares. First playthrough was such a rush, just got through it by sheer desperation and lots of "oh fuck" moments.

After multiple playthroughs though it becomes like the zen moments mentioned in the other thread. Using the shotgun like a surgeon and able to knife your way through 5 ganados and roundhousing every single one of them.

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I loved the Krauser fight, but I think that it's because it was the first of the "Simon Says" things that I saw in a game. But now that I've played God of War II...
    Yeah I think if I did the Krauser fight again I would get angry.
    It did look awesome though.
    Also
    DEATH

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i just finished my run through with the chicago typewriter

it's just so unfair

Nuzak on