Options

The Official Cosplay (and Cool Gear) Thread <3

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yes! If you could actually act out a V monologue, I think I would have to ask for your autograph. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh, I know the Evey Introductory speech, my problem is I'm not much of a cosplayer (this would be my first time), so I'm not experienced at being able to be in character all the time. :(

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I don't know exactly how cosplay works, but I don't think you have to necessarily always be in character (like an actor). For most people that I've seen cosplay, simply dressing the part is enough. But if you're willing to act out bits, that's awesome too =) But don't feel obligated to roleplay as the character though, especially if it'd make it more of a hassle than it's worth.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well I know some really good cosplayers who do it all the time can spend a whole day being in character, meaning everything they say, is said in a way that fits the character.

Now If only I could memorize this, if you don't want to read it don't. Someone has told me how to do spoiler tags, thanks
    Good evening, London. Allow me first to apologize for this interruption. I do, like many of you, appreciate the comforts of every day routine- the security of the familiar, the tranquility of repetition. I enjoy them as much as any bloke. But in the spirit of commemoration, thereby those important events of the past usually associated with someone's death or the end of some awful bloody struggle, a celebration of a nice holiday, I thought we could mark this November the 5th, a day that is sadly no longer remembered, by taking some time out of our daily lives to sit down and have a little chat. There are of course those who do not want us to speak. I suspect even now, orders are being shouted into telephones, and men with guns will soon be on their way. Why? Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night I sought to end that silence. Last night I destroyed the Old Bailey, to remind this country of what it has forgotten. More than four hundred years ago a great citizen wished to embed the fifth of November forever in our memory. His hope was to remind the world that fairness, justice, and freedom are more than words, they are perspectives. So if you've seen nothing, if the crimes of this government remain unknown to you then I would suggest you allow the fifth of November to pass unmarked. But if you see what I see, if you feel as I feel, and if you would seek as I seek, then I ask you to stand beside me one year from tonight, outside the gates of Parliament, and together we shall give them a fifth of November that shall never, ever be forgot.

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    oyasumidesuoyasumidesu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ^_^ I will be going as Lili (psychonauts) my friends and I are having a psychonauts group SO DEFENITALLY a Lili and a Raz ^_^. and all day saturday ^_^ cannot wait (first time for pax0
    @VThornheart :: you don't have to be in character all the time, that is hard to do...unless the character is your exact personality, u can go into character when ever you want. ^_^ it is fun to respond in character when someone yells out your cosplay...(through experience)

oyasumidesu on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    S2000Gan wrote: »
    Well I know some really good cosplayers who do it all the time can spend a whole day being in character, meaning everything they say, is said in a way that fits the character.

Now If only I could memorize this, if you don't want to read it don't. Someone needs to tell me how to do spoiler tags...
    Good evening, London. Allow me first to apologize for this interruption. I do, like many of you, appreciate the comforts of every day routine- the security of the familiar, the tranquility of repetition. I enjoy them as much as any bloke. But in the spirit of commemoration, thereby those important events of the past usually associated with someone's death or the end of some awful bloody struggle, a celebration of a nice holiday, I thought we could mark this November the 5th, a day that is sadly no longer remembered, by taking some time out of our daily lives to sit down and have a little chat. There are of course those who do not want us to speak. I suspect even now, orders are being shouted into telephones, and men with guns will soon be on their way. Why? Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night I sought to end that silence. Last night I destroyed the Old Bailey, to remind this country of what it has forgotten. More than four hundred years ago a great citizen wished to embed the fifth of November forever in our memory. His hope was to remind the world that fairness, justice, and freedom are more than words, they are perspectives. So if you've seen nothing, if the crimes of this government remain unknown to you then I would suggest you allow the fifth of November to pass unmarked. But if you see what I see, if you feel as I feel, and if you would seek as I seek, then I ask you to stand beside me one year from tonight, outside the gates of Parliament, and together we shall give them a fifth of November that shall never, ever be forgot.

See the yellow button with the exclamation point in it? Select the text and click that.

And if I could memorize and recite all of the following in 9th grade, I'm sure that you can memorize your bit.
    Lucius Sergius Catilina's last speech, as recorded by Gaius Sullustius:

I am well aware, soldiers, that words can not inspire courage; and that a spiritless army can not be rendered active,[285] or a timid army valiant, by the speech of its commander. Whatever courage is in the heart of a man, whether from nature or from habit, so much will be shown by him in the field; and on him whom neither glory nor danger can move, exhortation is bestowed in vain; for the terror in his breast stops his ears.

I have called you together, however, to give you a few instructions, and to explain to you, at the same time, my reasons for the course which I have adopted. You all know, soldiers, how severe a penalty the inactivity and cowardice of Lentulus has brought upon himself and us; and how, while waiting for reinforcements from the city, I was unable to march into Gaul.

In what situation our affairs now are, you all understand as well as myself. Two armies of the enemy, one on the side of Rome, and the other on that of Gaul, oppose our progress; while the want of corn, and of other necessaries, prevents us from remaining, however strongly we may desire to remain, in our present position. Whithersoever we would go, we must open a passage with our swords. I conjure you, therefore, to maintain a brave and resolute spirit; and to remember, when you advance to battle, that on your own right hands depend[286] riches, honor, and glory, with the enjoyment of your liberty and of your country. If we conquer, all will be safe; we shall have provisions in abundance; and the colonies and corporate towns will open their gates to us. But if we lose the victory through want of courage, these same places[287] will turn against us; for neither place nor friend will protect him whom his arms have not protected. Besides, soldiers, the same exigency does not press upon our adversaries, as presses upon us; we fight for our country, for our liberty, for our life; they contend for what but little concerns them,[288] the power of a small party. Attack them, therefore, with so much the greater confidence, and call to mind your achievements of old.

We might,[289] with the utmost ignominy, have passed the rest of our days in exile. Some of you, after losing your property, might have waited at Rome for assistance from others. But because such a life, to men of spirit, was disgusting and unendurable, you resolved upon your present course. If you wish to quit it, you must exert all your resolution, for none but conquerors have exchanged war for peace. To hope for safety in flight, when you have turned away from the enemy the arms by which the body is defended, is indeed madness. In battle, those who are most afraid are always in most danger; but courage is equivalent to a rampart. When I contemplate you, soldiers, and when I consider your past exploits, a strong hope of victory animates me. Your spirit, your age, your valor, give me confidence; to say nothing of necessity, which makes even cowards brave. To prevent the numbers of the enemy from surrounding us, our confined situation is sufficient. But should Fortune be unjust to your valor, take care not to lose your lives unavenged; take care not to be taken and butchered like cattle, rather than fighting like men, to leave to your enemies a bloody and mournful victory.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    In his defense ET, I think it comes easier for some. =) I know that I have a hard time even remembering single lines of text if I have to memorize them verbatim. (Hence the spawning of all of those outtakes for the BioWare competition =) ) But indeed, given time you can definitely do it!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    wtnuke wrote: »
    Holy eff, I need to wear this just for the hilarity of our running into one another. I could totally be bizzaro Waldo or something...any ideas there?

yes, wear red stripes where he wears white, and vice versa. wait...

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The other problem is that it seems people have trouble hearing me when I'm wearing the mask, no duh, it's a full face mask...

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    wtnukewtnuke Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    wtnuke wrote: »
    Holy eff, I need to wear this just for the hilarity of our running into one another. I could totally be bizzaro Waldo or something...any ideas there?

I'm thinking that might just be inverted Waldo.

wtnuke on
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How about different colors entirely? Like neon green, and dark blue? :D

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Black and white XD :P

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Colour me literal; but doesn't Waldo have like a nemesis or something?

With Yellow and black stripes with a black hat and a sinister grin??
    Character.Odlaw.jpg

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Colour me literal; but doesn't Waldo have like a nemesis or something?

With Yellow and black stripes with a black hat and a sinister grin??
    Character.Odlaw.jpg

Or this :D

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    yeah, that works too.

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So this thread needs significantly more girls in skimpy anime outfits.

Also, I would have cosplayed this year, but I don't have any clever ideas, and the last costume I did is lost or some shit. I would have to do something simple at this point, and I'm just completely out of fresh ideas. I don't have any cool gear either. I'm a sad panda :(

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    Actually, Bizarro Waldo should have green and black stripes and opposite colored pants, as well.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Actually, Bizarro Waldo should have green and black stripes and opposite colored pants, as well.

Don't you mean Bizarro opposite colored pants?!?

Houn on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    BIZARRO!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    BIZARRO!

Best Sealab episode they ever made. Period.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BIZARRO!

Best Sealab episode they ever made. Period.

I have a few wanna-be robots that might dispute that.

Houn on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    And here is basically the costume...
    Waldo.jpg

As you can tell, there is some photoshop, since the hat isn't done yet.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sorry about taking a while to get these up but here are some Pictures of my Costume from San Diego
    dscn1555hr2.jpg
    dscn1557fn2.jpg

The hair looked better later on :P

Also I was slightly sadden that not that many people recognized me, hopefully that won't be the case at PAX.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It looks like Travis Touchdown from NMH...

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Well thats good, because it's who I'm going as :P

manaleak34 on
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    manaleak34 wrote: »

I was looking for a Travis Touchdown, but didn't see any. Then again, it was a ginormohuge con.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    HotSake wrote: »

I was looking for a Travis Touchdown, but didn't see any. Then again, it was a ginormohuge con.

I just got a really good costume idea... I wonder if I can pull it off in time. I'll get back to this thread soon...

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So some of us are planning a group Persona 3 cosplay, and I decided to do who I thought would be an easy character.
    jin.png
    Jin from Strega.

Except I have no earthly idea how to find the kind of clothes his outfit uses(not to mention the metal suitcase; I'm pretty sure I'll have to do without the grenades).

I'm also flying from SoFla, further complicating things for the accessories.

Any ideas? I'm mostly worried about acquiring the jacket.

Also, that Travis get-up is awesome.

How'd you get the shirt?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »

How'd you get the shirt?

Got this blank undershirt with colored collar and added the image using transfer paper and glued on the stubs that were from a craft store.

manaleak34 on
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »

How'd you get the shirt?

Got this blank undershirt with colored collar and added the image using transfer paper and glued on the stubs that were from a craft store.

Mad props for the shirt, def well done.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Me in my V mask
    n707262811_930024_4670.jpg

Only I wouldn't wear a suit, I'd try to find like a black turtleneck.

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Excellent s2000! =) Woot!

And good job on Waldo Qs! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    LyanthLyanth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    wow, lookin good everyone! i'll update the OP tonight.

and S2000, if you go as V to the dinner, i'll be your Evey ;)

Lyanth on
    [SIGPIC]I'm not backing down[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WhytmageWhytmage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zephyril is at approx 20% done. ((weapon and wings about 80, rest in progress)).

I know what to do for my shoes. Bump me to 95 when you are able.

Missed you at the lunch. :-(

Whytmage on
    :!!: Current Addiction: World of Warcraft
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Lyanth wrote: »
    wow, lookin good everyone! i'll update the OP tonight.

and S2000, if you go as V to the dinner, i'll be your Evey ;)

1.What dinner?

2. If I wanted to go as V I'd go without the following or need the wig, gloves, and a cape

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    WhytmageWhytmage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Whytmage on
    :!!: Current Addiction: World of Warcraft
    :!!: Progress: My mage can kick your mage's ass. My hunter can kick your mage's ass, and I'm positive my Shadow Priest can kick your mage's ass also.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    S2000, you definitely should come to the pre-PAX dinner as V. Don't let Lyanth down here! =)=)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hmm, I'll see If I can manage to go,

The 3 things that come to mind are

1. Parents
    2. Money
    3. Available

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Update:
    Costume: Cardboard Tube Samurai (Pre-PAX Thursday events, Friday, maybe Saturday/all day)
    Events: Everywhere around PAX, Pre-PAX dinner, movie, and possibly Pub Crawl
    Status: 12.72% (Have sandals, belt, tailor for sewing only, and sewing pattern for outfit).
    Notes: This will be my first time cosplaying, but I'm going into it 100%. I'm making the costume from scratch, I spent a lot of time studying pics of new and old CTS, and I hope to make an awesome and accurate 'stume.

[edit] having a helluva hard time finding a coolie hat that's just like the samurai's. it's actually very unique. also, the cardboard tube itself changes in size each time mike draws it, so that's making things difficult, as well. i think i'll just go with the cover art for the 08 pax program, though.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    HAha XD

I forgot,

S2000Gan
    Looking For: Long black hair wig, black gloves, black cape
    Need by: Soon would be good...
    Contact Info: peter.gan@comcast.net or PM me.

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
This discussion has been closed.