As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ants don't damage houses do they? (Pictures page 6!)

TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Social Entropy++
In my opinion bugs are the best pets. Right now I am keeping two caterpillars in a jar and feeding them parsley and dill and they love it. Soon they will be beautiful butterflies.

I'm not posting this just to brag about my caterpillars though. I'm posting because my room has been infested by ants. It happened after I left a bunch of food sitting at my desk. For the past few days I've been feeding them things like chips, soda, peanut butter, and bread crumbs. They seem to enjoy feasting at my desk, and I enjoy their company. However, I have recently have been concerned that they may cause damage to my house. Will they be ruining my floor and walls by tunneling in them? Is there a chance they will crawl inside my laptop and cause serious damage?

I know it was irresponsible to get a pet without knowing how to care for it, but please teach me about ants.

Treeloot on

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ants are natures deadliest killers.

Hold on for a second I have youtube videos to prove my point.

Brolo on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ants are annoying when they get in your house and that's all i know about them, hth

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TTA-35.jpg

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thats disgusting, ant's are fucking pests.

Kill them.

What is wrong with you?

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Gross.

Watch out. They may crawl up on your bed and into your ear as you sleep.

And that's the worst.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Ants are annoying as fuck.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Ants and spiders are two things that I wouldn't mind being wiped off this earth.

I'm sure they serve a purpose, but fuck them.

Also, mosquitos.

Legacy on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    the only plus side to ants is that they aren't cockroaches, which are the worst!!!

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Guys, I left some heroine out and now there's some homeless people wandering around my apartment. I've been feeding them whiskey and fast food wrappers. Can they get into my computer and damage it?

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ants love to carry you off

think about it

enough ants could totally take you away into a hole and devour your innards

Raneados on
  • Options
    GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Guys, I left some heroine out and now there's some homeless people wandering around my apartment. I've been feeding them whiskey and fast food wrappers. Can they get into my computer and damage it?

I am laughing.

A lot.

Thank you, sir.

Graves on
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Legacy wrote: »
    Ants and spiders are two things that I wouldn't mind being wiped off this earth.

Also, mosquitos.

Add to this bees.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TTA-35.jpg

Am I a retard for being a little confused at the scale there when I first saw that?

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ants will crawl down your throat while you sleep, to harvest your lungs. You sweet, delicious lungs.

Ants love nothing better than lung meat.

tWallhitter: Fun fact, that criminal is the supervillain TinyHead.

Altho honestly, those are the biggest fucking ants ever, just look at the ones in the background on the dresser. They're fucking huge!

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dee Kae wrote: »

Also, mosquitos.

Add to this bees.

But bees don't fuck with you much if you don't fuck with them.

Ants just bust in when you're not looking because you spilled some soda somewhere a month ago and they claim the whole area as their own.

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Also, mosquitos.

Add to this bees.

Bees would be a tight pet.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wallhitter wrote: »
    TTA-35.jpg

Am I a retard for being a little confused at the scale there when I first saw that?

So you're saying there was a point at which you ceased being confused by the scale?

Prolegomena on
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Also, mosquitos.

Add to this bees.

But bees don't fuck with you much if you don't fuck with them.

Ants just bust in when you're not looking because you spilled some soda somewhere a month ago and they claim the whole area as their own.
    I was going for the whole "if it's on you" factor, but you're too right about those tiny bastards.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Graves wrote: »

I am laughing.

A lot.

Thank you, sir.

No, thank you graves.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Man my mom is going to flip when she sees I have pet ants. She's going to be like "TREELOOT WHAT HAVE YOU DONE."

How can I convince her to let me keep them?

Treeloot on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    crash and burn, Achilles!

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Stab her.

Graves on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Treeloot wrote: »
    Man my mom is going to flip when she sees I have pet ants. She's going to be like "TREELOOT WHAT HAVE YOU DONE."

Why don't you buy an antfarm?

And why does your mom call you treeloot?

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If bees didn't exist I couldn't enjoy watching this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNQhtTfrdS8&fmt=18

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    treeloot ain't you name

you spinnin falsehoods

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Brolo on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I looooove timelapse ants

SO COOL

Raneados on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    some ant bait should do the trick

not any of that powdered shit

but the gel

put them around where you're getting the fuckin' ants so watch where they're comin from

and then refill the tubes

they should die off pretty quick

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Treeloot wrote: »

Why don't you buy an antfarm?

And why does your mom call you treeloot?

Ant farms are kind of expensive too, and I don't have a lot of money to spend on luxury items right now. I'm saving up for a big screen TV to take to college.

To answer your second question my mom doesn't actually call me Treeloot. I just didn't want to give out my real name. But since you're curious it is William, but I go by Billy.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    FUCK YOU ROLO

OH GOD

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh holy fuck

Graves on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Billy Blythe?

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rolo, at about 15 seconds in, you gotta make a buzzsaw noise. It makes the video so much better.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Raneados on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rolo wrote: »

Knowing the OP that's probably his fetish.

all lying on the ground, ants crawling over his decaying scrotum.

wishing from the afterlife that he still had feeling in his body.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Man I am trying to find videos of Legionnaire ants:
    Wikipedia wrote:

Polyergus, or Legionnaire ant, is a small genus of 6 described species (and several possible undescribed species) of "slave-raiding" ants, sometimes called Amazon ants. Its workers are incapable of caring for brood, in part due to their dagger-like, piercing mandibles, but more importantly, because in the evolution of their parasitism, they have lost the "behavioral wiring" to carry out even rudimentary brood care, or even to feed themselves. Polyergus species subsist as social parasites, maintaining a worker force by capturing ants of the closely related genus Formica in massive colony-to-colony raids. Until recently, the Formica workers that live with Polyergus have been referred to, unquestioningly, as "slaves". The situation under which the Formica workers live in a Polyergus nest is more comparable to that of domesticated and spayed work animals, so it may be preferable to simply refer to the two species in this relationship as parasite and host, raider and help-ants, or some other more appropriate terms.

Polyergus obtains its Formica work force by stealing pupae from nearby Formica colonies and carrying them back to their own nest, by means of spectacular raids, conducted on hot, summer afternoons. Back in the Polyergus nest, Formica workers are eventually helped to emerge from the cocoons by Formica workers already living there. The new workers quickly assimilate the characteristic odor of the mixed-species population of the Polyergus colony -- completely without violence or coercion. The newly hatched "slaves" go on to nurse, forage, and perform other colony upkeep duties. As far as is known, all established Polyergus colonies have only one queen. To found a new colony, a lone Polyergus queen invades a nest of the host species, or encounters and moves in with a colony-founding queen of the host species. In the latter case, the host queen is allowed to survive until she has reared a number of host workers, something the Polyergus queen cannot do herself. A young Polyergus queen ultimately kills the existing Formica queen (right away if workers present, later if these are not yet reared) and becomes accepted by the Formica workers. These proceed to rear the first and all subsequent Amazon ant workers. Clearly, this complicated and lengthy process often fails, as Polyergus colonies are relatively rare, even though each mature colony produces dozens or hundreds of new potential queens each year. To counteract the natural mortality of the Formica worker population, Polyergus workers must conduct regular raids over a 6-8 week period, every summer over the 10-15 year life span of their colony.

The raids of Amazon ants have been sensationalized as "blood baths" in popular writing. However, scientific study has demonstrated repeatedly and for all species that their brood stealing raids are highly efficient and virtually non-violent. It is rare for even a single member of the raided host colony to be injured or killed. Instead, the host colony is overwhelmed, apparently by its own formic acid and alarm pheromones produced in the panic, when the marauders enter their nest en masse. Commonly, the queen and workers of the raided Formica colony evacuate up nearby vegetation and simply "wait for the problem to go away" while the Polyergus workers find and run off with their brood.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Wallhitter wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »

Knowing the OP that's probably his fetish.

all lying on the ground, ants crawling over his decaying scrotum.

wishing from the afterlife that he still had feeling in his body.

this would be horrible crossover with the anti-rotica thread

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    OH JESUS RANE

ARE THEY TAKING HIS SKULL FOR THE QUEEN'S SKULL THRONE

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    they take the bones it is the best

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    man ants is all nawm nawm nawm

but I'm like you cut that shit out

that is not ok ants

and they're all sorry geez

Skull Man on