As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Improve my resume

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So guys, I need help with my resume.
With my impending graduation I thought it would be time to improve my resume. Also, I'm applying for an internship at a law office and they want to see my resume, and considering I never really submitted a resume to that sort of work environment, I'm a bit nervous.

To me, there seems to be two problems with my resume:
1)I been basically the same job for 8 years. Granted I moved up to store manager, but I'm afraid that potential employers will look down at this
2)I don't have much volunteer experience or anything else to pad my resume, which I think is bad.

Here's my current resume. Any tips on improving it?
Omar J. Acosta
3328 Red Sails
El Paso TX, 79936
915-***-*** (Home) 915-***-***(Cell)
ojacosta@miners.utep.edu

OBJECTIVE

RELEVANT SKILLS
8 years of customer service
Developed personable skills that encouraged customers to return based on the service
Learned to handle angry and upset customers with the main goal being to best serve the customer and store

Experience with supervising large number of people
As store manager and assistant manager I supervise a large number of individuals
Had anywhere between 5 to 10 people working under me at any time
Delegated responsibilities between individuals

Adept at instituting and directing projects
Instituted an “Unlimited Rental” program which brought upwards of 1,000 dollar revenue per month
Created daily specials to further encourage business in days which were not very active

Fluent in Spanish
Read and write in the language
Native Speaker

Critical thinker
Adept at finding solutions to many problems

Technologically Adept
Able to use Microsoft and Apple OSX
Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office
56 WPM

EDUCATION
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT EL PASO
El Paso Texas Current GPA: 3.36
Major-Political Science Current Classification: Senior
Minor-Legal Reasoning Expected Graduation Date: December 2008

WORK EXPERIENCE

Major Players Games and Videos
2005-Current
1580 George Dieter
El Paso, Tx, 79936
Position: Assistant Store Manager

Smash Hits Major Players
2000-2005
11675 Montwood
El Paso, Tx, 79936
Position: Store Manager

Las Americas Immigrant Advocacy Center
Fall 2007
1500 East Yandell Dr.
El Paso, Tx, 79936
Position: Volunteer

Kyougu on

• DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    At first glance: Take your GPA off. If it's not a 4.0 they don't care.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The way I have my resume structured (And something you might want to consider as well) is the following:

1. Employment Objective
    2. Summary of Qualifications - A Bullet Point list stating every major piece of work related experience I have. No elaboration, just a list. It's a mini cover letter. Anyone who glances at my resume for 10 seconds knows if I can do X or not.
    3. Work Experience - Elaborations on where skills from section 2 belong here. They care about how your critical thinking enabled you to do this job, not that you consider yourself a critical thinker.
    4. Project Experience - Unpaid side projects I've done and elaborated on as in section 3.
    5. Education - Last, because it's the least important.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Mr. PokeylopeMr. Pokeylope Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Actually that you worked at the same place for 8 years is something positive. It shows that your responsible and you'll stick it out if you get the internship. The last thing that they would want is someone that is going to waste their time. Another positive point is that you were able to hold a job and go to school at the same time.

When making a resume you want to think about what the employer is looking for and shape your resume to match the employer's expectations.

The format you have is unique. Usually the part you placed in your objective relating to your work exp is placed with your work experience. To give the person reading your resume an idea what you did and any accomplishments you had doing your job.

You might want to expand on what you did and accomplished during your volunteer position too.

For your skills you may want to place them in their own section.

Are you a member of any clubs or organizations at your school? Have you won any awards, made Deans list etc.. You may want to add that to your education section. Anything extra that you have done would be a plus.

Mr. Pokeylope on
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DVG wrote: »
    At first glance: Take your GPA off. If it's not a 4.0 they don't care.

Seconded. Laywers are VERY snotty about grades. If this is an a-list firm telling them you graduated below a 3.5 is like walking in with DUNCE written across your forehead. Pokey is right about expanding on the volunteer position—you must have something to say about it!

The format is unique, but smart given that you don’t have non-retail work experience. If you have a designer friend you might try paying them (or just begging a favor) to typeset this really well and get it printed on a nice paper stock.

supabeast on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That whole relevant skills section looks like something that might be better off in a cover letter perhaps. I don't think I've seen a resume with that format.

It's better to include those skills at least right under the job they were related to

Widget Co 2005-2007
    Associate Widget Maker

Worked to do X Y and Z, was responsible for Q, etc, etc

Is a more traditional format I think

Jasconius on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jasconius wrote: »
    That whole relevant skills section looks like something that might be better off in a cover letter perhaps. I don't think I've seen a resume with that format.

It's better to include those skills at least right under the job they were related to

Widget Co 2005-2007
    Associate Widget Maker

Worked to do X Y and Z, was responsible for Q, etc, etc

Is a more traditional format I think

It really depends.

The skills first format is a lot better when work experience doesn't look as impressive.

For instance, in my job I basically can have jobs that last a week, and I still throw them on my resume and list skills that it employed and all that, because it's a fucking wall of text now.

But for people who have had one or two jobs, even if they're really good jobs that lasted a long time, it looks pathetic to see one job and then a listing of skills.

The resume is about getting hired, remember, so it's important to make sure the resume makes the resume submitter look as good as possible. Both are acceptable formats, it just comes down to which one makes someone look better.

Khavall on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm going to be blunt.
    Kyougu wrote: »
    OBJECTIVE

You can't just write "OBJECTIVE" without putting an objective. "OBJECTIVE" is just a header and should be followed with a career objective that relates to the job you are applying for.

Personally, I don't like the "objective" piece of a resume anyway. I feel that it usually amounts to nebulous bullshit that belongs on a cover letter instead.

RELEVANT SKILLS
    Developed personable skills that encouraged customers to return based on the service
    Learned to handle angry and upset customers with the main goal being to best serve the customer and store

Experience with supervising large number of people
    As store manager and assistant manager I supervise a large number of individuals
    Had anywhere between 5 to 10 people working under me at any time
    Delegated responsibilities between individuals

Adept at instituting and directing projects
    Instituted an “Unlimited Rental” program which brought upwards of 1,000 dollar revenue per month
    Created daily specials to further encourage business in days which were not very active

Fluent in Spanish
    Read and write in the language
    Native Speaker

Critical thinker
    Adept at finding solutions to many problems

Technologically Adept
    Able to use Microsoft and Apple OSX
    56 WPM

1) This section - "relevant skills" - takes up way, way too much space on your resume. Way too much.

2) I think it should be prioritized under your work experience. Work experience should be your first section after OBJECTIVE (if you decide to have an OBJECTIVE section, otherwise it should be below your personal information). Skills are a nice thing to show someone you are applying to work for but they aren't as important as work experience which actually shows where you might have had the opportunity to employ those skills. Hence, the logic here is to show your experience and then discuss your skills. Additionally, this flow better suggests that you developed many skills during your work experience, which is a good thing.

3) While "angry customers" certainly exist, I would not - ever - use such descriptors in a resume. I would not use any emotional language at all. In fact, I would not even use the phrase "learned to handle" or "learned to deal with" which connotes that you are somehow above whatever you learned to handle/deal with. Which may be true, but isn't an appopriate tone for a resume.

4) I wouldn't categorize your skills as you've done. I wouldn't have a "critical thinker" section, for instance. I wouldn't have "fluent in spanish," either. I would have one line that says "Fluent at reading and writing Spanish."

5) Tone and verb tense. Your method of communication should be consistent. The line "Adept at finding solutions to many problems" is good, at least from a grammatical standpoint. Also, have a verb for each line. "56 WPM" isn't as strong as "Types at 56 words per minute."

6) The items under "Adept at finding solutions to many problems" are not appropriate for this section. These lines:

Should be cut and pasted into your work experience section below, under the job you did this at (assuming the job is listed).

EDUCATION
    Minor-Legal Reasoning Expected Graduation Date: December 2008

Personally, I don't even list education on my resume as there's usually no room after I get done with my work experience and skills, but that doesn't mean you can't put it on. Where it goes, though, is mostly up to you. Personally, I would put this above the OBJECTIVE as well. HEADER (personal information), then EDUCATION, then OBJECTIVE, then WORK EXPERIENCE, then SKILLS. You can also list it at the very bottom, after SKILLS. I would try not to separate WORK EXPERIENCE and SKILLS, though. But that's mostly a flow and style preference. If I were reading a resume, I wouldn't want to be interrupted between WORK EXPERIENCE and SKILLS by a short listing of your educational statistics.

WORK EXPERIENCE

Major Players Games and Videos
    2005-Current
    1580 George Dieter
    El Paso, Tx, 79936

Smash Hits Major Players
    2000-2005
    11675 Montwood
    El Paso, Tx, 79936

Las Americas Immigrant Advocacy Center
    Fall 2007
    1500 East Yandell Dr.
    El Paso, Tx, 79936

You should have more detail here. The work experience section should include all duties you performed the job that relate to the job you are applying for. For instance, if you are applying for a position in Human Resources, you should list what customer service duties you performed at these jobs.

Also, this section should never be smaller than your skills section. Whitespace is bad, but inflating your skills section to make up for a lack of experience will be seen through almost immediately by most recruiters and would-be employers.

This is where you should have lines like:

- As store manager and assistant manager I supervise a large number of individuals
    - Had anywhere between 5 to 10 people working under me at any time
    - Delegated responsibilities between individuals
    - Instituted an “Unlimited Rental” program which brought upwards of 1,000 dollar revenue per month
    - Created daily specials to further encourage business in days which were not very active

These are all elements of your work experience and history. They may relate to some skills, but the two flow together. Better to be specific in your work history section and unspecific in your skills section. Work experience should indicate "I did this, this, and this..." (don't use "I," though), while your SKILLS section should indicate what strengths you have that may relate to the job you are applying to: "I can do this, this, and this..." or "I am good at this, this, and this..." Again, don't actually type "Can do X" or "Good at Y" - use powerful verbs like you did above: "Adept at," or "Fluent in" (by the way, fluent is a good word to use in other respects - fluent with Microsoft Office and Cognos Finance, for instance, are two elements of my SKILLS section on my resume).

One thing to remember when listing skills and experience is that it is best to only include skills and experience that relate to the job you are seeking/applying to. For instance, you wouldn't list that you can make a perfect Blueberry muffin if you're applying as a financial analyst at a corporate bank because it is irrelevant.

All in all, though, obviously there is no correct answer here. People will tell you stories of success they've had with widely varied resume styles and employers have different ideas of what they like to see as well. The above isn't horrible or anything...you just need to move stuff around and be consistent. Fix the flow and expand your work experience section as much as possible.

And when you get a few more years of relevant experience under your belt, knock out jobs that don't relate to the job you are seeking. Right now you can probably get by. But you aren't required - as you might be on a job application - to list every job you've ever had, or even had recently. When I was out of work for a bit, I was painting with my uncle's business. I didn't put that on my resume because painting has nothing to do with financial analysis or database administration/programming. Showing consistent work experience is always a good thing, but there's also nothing wrong with showing a single job where you had a large number of duties that relate to the position you are looking for.

The key is that a resume should be tailored for the job you are seeking. I have two templates - a writing resume which lists my writing credentials and one for jobs I might look for in the financial district, which details my experience with corporate America. But before I send out my financial one, I always manipulate it slightly (remove lines or add something minor in) to suit it better for the position I am applying to. Just keep that in mind.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

This is meaningless. List each of the Office programs you know how to use. If its Word and Excel, say that. If you're good with the full suite including Access, say that. If you are an advanced user, you should say that too.

And take your GPA off your resume. Its really not very relevant in the work world. I can't think of a time when I've ever been asked about it in a professional setting.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Corvus wrote: »

This is meaningless.

It was just a lazy example I provided.

Corvus wrote: »
    List each of the Office programs you know how to use. If its Word and Excel, say that. If you're good with the full suite including Access, say that. If you are an advanced user, you should say that too.

Yes, you are correct. However, what "advanced user" means may differ from employer to employer, so I would just say "thorough knowledge of Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Access, including VBA/ADO programming" (if all of those apply). You can even put specifics like "creating pivottables and reports with Excel" if you want.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • MandaManda Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    About GPA - a school counselor told me that if you leave it off, people will automatically assume the worst about it (i.e. 2.0 or under). I don't know much about lawyers, but I would think carefully before taking it off.

Manda on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for all the great advice. I took all that everyone mentioned and reworked my resume. What do you guys think?
    Omar J. Acosta
    3328 Red Sails
    El Paso TX, 79936
    ojacosta@miners.utep.edu

OBJECTIVE
    To pursue employment that will challenge me, as well as provide insight into the world of law and provide further tools to use in a career in said field.

SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
    Experience in supervising large number of people
    Fluent in writing and reading in Spanish
    Throughout knowledge of Office, Excel, Powerpoint and Acess
    Self motivated individual

WORK EXPERIENCE
    Major Players Games and Videos 2005-Current
    1580 George Dieter
    El Paso Tx, 79936
    DUTIES PERFORMED:
    Assisted Store Manager in the daily duties of running the business
    Developed personable skills that encouraged customers to return based on service
    Created promotions in order to raise revenue
    Use time outside of work in order to research upcoming titles to order for business

Smash Hits Major Players 2000-2005
    11675 Montwood
    El Paso Tx, 79936
    DUTIES PERFORMED:
    Supervised between 5 to 10 individuals
    Delegated duties between workers
    Created weekly employee schedule with set hours.
    Handled large amounts of money when making deposit drops
    Personally answered any complains that customers had and always attempted to come to an amicable agreement.

Las Americas Immigrant Advocacy Center Fall 2007
    1500 East Yandell Dr.
    El Paso, Tx, 79936
    DUTIES PERFORMED:
    Worked alongside main secretary, performing many common office duties such as taking phone calls and setting up appointments.
    Ran errands for the Center's lawyers
    Worked on data entry and recording various files and documents.

EDUCATION
    Expected Graduation Date: December 2008
    Minor-Legal Reasoning

Also, when emailing a resume, what format should I use?

Kyougu on
    edited July 2008
    Manda wrote: »
    About GPA - a school counselor told me that if you leave it off, people will automatically assume the worst about it (i.e. 2.0 or under). I don't know much about lawyers, but I would think carefully before taking it off.

I suppose it depends on who you ask. When I was trying to get hired, someone who did hiring for a living helped me with mine, and recommended in no uncertain terms that I take my 3.8 GPA off.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thanks for all the great advice. I took all that everyone mentioned and reworked my resume. What do you guys think?
    Omar J. Acosta
    3328 Red Sails
    El Paso TX, 79936
    ojacosta@miners.utep.edu

OBJECTIVE
    To pursue employment that will challenge me, as well as provide insight into the world of law and provide further tools to use in a career in said field.

Throughout knowledge of Office, Excel, PowerPoint and Access

WORK EXPERIENCE
    1580 George Dieter
    El Paso Tx, 79936
    DUTIES PERFORMED:
    Developed personable skills that encouraged customers to return based on service
    Used time outside of work in order to research upcoming titles to order for business

11675 Montwood
    El Paso Tx, 79936
    DUTIES PERFORMED:
    Instituted an “Unlimited Rental” program which brought upwards of $1,000 revenue per month
    Personally answered any complains that customers had and always attempted to come to an amicable agreement.

1500 East Yandell Dr.
    El Paso, Tx, 79936
    DUTIES PERFORMED:
    Worked alongside main secretary, performing many common office duties such as taking phone calls and setting up appointments.

EDUCATION
    Minor-Legal Reasoning

My only recommendation is to take off the addresses of the places you work - if you want people to use those for references you should have a separate sheet that outlines your references. But having the address/zip of each place you worked is just extra information.

Also, are "Smash Hits Major Players" and "Major Players Games and Videos" the same place? You mentioned you worked at the same place for 8 years (so I assume these are the 8 years.) How did you go from being a store manager to assistant store manager? Isn't that a demotion?

Also: proofread that shit - you have a bunch of typographical errors.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Unless the employer specifies otherwise, I'd only use PDF. It's really the only way you can guarantee that it will look the same on the other end.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Omar J. Acosta
    3328 Red Sails
    El Paso TX, 79936
    ojacosta@miners.utep.edu

OBJECTIVE

WORK EXPERIENCE
    1580 George Dieter
    El Paso Tx, 79936
    DUTIES PERFORMED:
    Used time outside of work in order to research upcoming titles to order for business

11675 Montwood
    El Paso Tx, 79936
    DUTIES PERFORMED:
    Instituted an “Unlimited Rental” program which brought upwards of $1,000 revenue per month

1500 East Yandell Dr.
    El Paso, Tx, 79936
    DUTIES PERFORMED:

EDUCATION
    Minor-Legal Reasoning

My only recommendation is to take off the addresses of the places you work - if you want people to use those for references you should have a separate sheet that outlines your references. But having the address/zip of each place you worked is just extra information.

Also, are "Smash Hits Major Players" and "Major Players Games and Videos" the same place? You mentioned you worked at the same place for 8 years (so I assume these are the 8 years.) How did you go from being a store manager to assistant store manager? Isn't that a demotion?

It basically is the same company, or at least it became one. When I started at the first one, it was a joint venture between two different video stores, but then it got bought out by the Major Players company.
    And it also was a demotion, one that was partly my decision. Doing school and being a store manager was a lot of pressure, and sooner or later something was going to break. This is stuff I can explain in an interview I imagine, but should I change the presentaton of it in the resume?

Kyougu on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DVG wrote: »
    Manda wrote: »

I suppose it depends on who you ask. When I was trying to get hired, someone who did hiring for a living helped me with mine, and recommended in no uncertain terms that I take my 3.8 GPA off.

Wow, that's good advice. I put my 3.2 on mine... Time to take it off. :P

urahonky on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Omar J. Acosta
    3328 Red Sails
    El Paso TX, 79936
    ojacosta@miners.utep.edu

OBJECTIVE

WORK EXPERIENCE
    1580 George Dieter
    El Paso Tx, 79936
    DUTIES PERFORMED:

11675 Montwood
    El Paso Tx, 79936
    DUTIES PERFORMED:
    Personally answered any complaints that customers had and always attempted to come to an amicable agreement.

1500 East Yandell Dr.
    El Paso, Tx, 79936
    DUTIES PERFORMED:

EDUCATION
    Minor-Legal Reasoning

It basically is the same company, or at least it became one. When I started at the first one, it was a joint venture between two different video stores, but then it got bought out by the Major Players company.
    And it also was a demotion, one that was partly my decision. Doing school and being a store manager was a lot of pressure, and sooner or later something was going to break. This is stuff I can explain in an interview I imagine, but should I change the presentaton of it in the resume?

I guess it was just confusing the way it was presented - and is probably something that employers will ask about. Not saying that's a bad thing - your explanation is a perfectly good one. Personally I would just combine them if it was all one term of employment. I think they are unnecessarily split up. Also check my spoiler tag for some typos you made.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png