As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ipod Syncing question

HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
Ok, I recently got an 80gig Classic Ipod. Once i got it, i took a full day out to rip my cd collection onto Itunes, then i synced it with my Ipod. Now i just had to format my pc thanks to a virus related problem. So i wanted to put my collection back onto Itunes, but i get "The Ipod is synced with another Itunes Libary" and gives me to option to erase and sync.

So, i would really love to avoid ripping my collection all over again. Is there any way around this?

steam_sig.png
PSN:Hakira__
Haikira on

• Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think you're screwed. It's one of the worst things about iTunes, but if you lose your collection and it's not backed up, you can't do a whole lot about it. Did you happen to burn the files onto disc before you formatted?

KimFidler on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    iTunes won't let you copy music off the iPod onto your PC or Mac. However, there are third party solutions which can.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You can browse the files on your iPod. There'll be a hidden folder in the root directory of it that contains all your music. Manually copy that on to your hard drive, and add it into iTunes. The file names will all be 4-digit numbers, but the tags and everything else will be fine. Then, you can resync that to your iPod.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You can browse the files on your iPod. There'll be a hidden folder in the root directory of it that contains all your music. Manually copy that on to your hard drive, and add it into iTunes. The file names will all be 4-digit numbers, but the tags and everything else will be fine. Then, you can resync that to your iPod.

Ah, your a life saver. I'm copying the folder to desktop right now.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Right, this worked perfectly. The whole collection is back in Itunes and working. Thanks again Dehumanized.

EDIT: Wait, i just checked the folder of music again too, Its all been properly tagged again, no random 4 letter digits. Awesome!!!

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png