As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wireless connection problems

SyHopefulSyHopeful Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Problem description: For over a year I've been running the Asus onboard wireless setup on my desktop with no issues. I have a cable modem, and hooked to that is a Linksys WRT54G wireless router which I connect to with my desktop. There is another computer (i'm on it now) that is connected via Ethernet to the 54G, and no connectivity problems. My iPod Touch also has no problems accessing the internet wirelessly. My desktop will connect to the wireless router, and have a strong (~75%) connection, but zero actual activity.

Attempted fixes: Rebooted cable modem, rebooted wireless router, ran ipconfig /release and /renew, also did the "repair" option on my wireless connection. The "repair" function worked when this problem first came up and solved it, but after restarting my computer I find the problem is back and "repair" no longer solves things.

Recent changes: None. I did run a Spybot sweep the day before the issue and removed some tracking bugs but I've done that many times.

Operating system: WinXP SP2

System specs: Asus A2N32-SLI mobo, Athlon 4600 X2, 2x evga 7800 GTX, dual drive RAID array, onboard sound, onboard wireless, 2gig 800mhz RAM, etc. Using a Motorola cable modem provided by Comcast and a Linksys WRT54G wireless/4-port router.

ACDS: 0601-9109-8353
Rich, Home[heart]
SyHopeful on

• DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    First does repair give you any errors, and second are you getting a valid, 192.x.x.x ip address from the router on that computer? Also try to ping out both to a website and an IP address and see if either are successful.

Aka, ping www.google.com and 74.125.47.99

DeShadowC on
  • SyHopefulSyHopeful Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    First does repair give you any errors, and second are you getting a valid, 192.x.x.x ip address from the router on that computer? Also try to ping out both to a website and an IP address and see if either are successful.

Aka, ping www.google.com and 74.125.47.99

thanks for the reply!

Yes it does give me a 192.xxx IP address, and repair says nothing specific about problems. I tried both web address and IP ping as you recommended, and got about 37ms response on both. Does this give you an idea of what's wrong?

SyHopeful on
    Rich, Home[heart]
  • StarcoreStarcore Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you're under 60ms, you're okay. How many times did you ping each? You might want to check for packet loss. If you're only having issues with your wireless, though, it could (Maybe) be an issue with the router. If the hardline connection doesn't seem to have problems, try setting up the wireless computer to run wired for a little while, see if that fixes the issue.

Also, see if there might be a driver update for the wireless card, and possibly a firmware update for the router. Sometimes they can cause issues.

Starcore on
    This is a sig.

It links to my website. The site is still under construction. And will be forever. And apparently it's dead for right now. I guess I'll have to talk to my admin one of these days...Also. Myspace.
    edited July 2008
    You're getting replies and a good IP address so you are connected just your web browser currently isn't working. Make sure to reset all of your browser settings and make sure no proxies are set. Its also possibly another piece of software such as a firewall blocking the web browser.

DeShadowC on
  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You running zonealarm?

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
    edited July 2008
    Yeah thats a big one with the problems they had their last update.

DeShadowC on
    edited July 2008
    PirateJon wrote: »
    You running zonealarm?

I am. Do you think that would be the issue?

SyHopeful on
    Rich, Home[heart]
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    All signs point to yes. Just follow the advice in that thread.

Kate of Lokys on
    edited July 2008
    holy shit. Closed ZA and here I am posting from my computer. Thanks to every one of you :)

SyHopeful on
    Rich, Home[heart]