As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DOKAPON KINGDOM: Where friendships are destroyed, may not be suitable for children

wyrlsswyrlss Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
Because there aren't enough casual board game type Wii titles, there must be another:
Dokapon Kingdom (also available for PS2)

Partially based on Dokapon for GBA, and partially based on Mario Party, Dokapon Kingdom is some sort of evil backstabbing board game RPG that makes you cry.

Wikipedia says:
"The game is primarly multiplayer focused and it will be possible to hurt other players in multiple ways including dressing up as the player and robbing shopkeeper thus making them 'wanted'"

Basics:
Spin the wheel, move.
Most squares contain random battles.
Battles are played like rock, paper, scissors.
Win.

Trailer:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x65em6_dokapon-kingdom-trailer-e3_videogames

Edit:
also the game comes out in fall of 08 and at the beginning of each game you get a mission so I think you can party up but I don't know there are screenshots here Wikipedia says October 14 '08

more edit:
WorthPlaying has an article thing about it. Notable excepts follow.

"Characters can fight each other when they're at the same location, or attack an opponent's towns to try and seize control of it."

" At each turn, characters progress in terms of how much gold value they have to their name, money, towns controlled, and missions completed."

Also, the official site says something insane about haircuts which I don't understand, including mentioning being punished for having a bad haircut.

K9Violator.png
wyrlss on

• Options
    ManBearPigManBearPig Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    It's a cute looking game, but how far will the backstabbing element of gameplay go?

ManBearPig on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ManBearPig wrote: »
    It's a cute looking game, but how far will the backstabbing element of gameplay go?

I don't know. The video seems to imply some sort of party system, but then again, the video is an advertisment.
    But on the third hand, a party system seems to be the best way to make that work.

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I will admit I'm intrigued. It could be pure arse but it might be an interesting Mario Party alternative.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BuchwaldBuchwald Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    hehe, that looks fun.

Buchwald on
    "That theory is just the looniest of a whole bunch of complete nonsense that is spouted by Amanda Winn Lee and her cohorts in the Audio Commentary."
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    No, there's no party system. It's every man for himself, unless you're teaming up to get that rat bastard who just rescued a town and now has twice your money. There is plenty of backstabbing, thievery, and double-dealing to be had.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I predict this game making Khoo more feared at the PA office.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I hope there's some customization in characters.

"Do you really know what it is to be the number two? It is a life of murder."

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Me and my friends play Mario Party 1 and 2 everyday on summer and winter breaks. It also destroys friendships.

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The more I read about this game the more I know that I must have it.

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    wyrlss wrote: »
    Also, the official site says something insane about haircuts which I don't understand, including mentioning being punished for having a bad haircut.

You don't get punished for having a bad haircut. You get punished by getting a bad haircut.

Say you have Players A and B. Player B, Player B. Player B hates Player A. They have a fight, Player B wins. Player B.

Anyway, at the victory screen Player B has a variety of options available to him as to how to punish Player A for losing. It's not enough to die for 1~3 turns, oh no. Player A must be humiliated. Player B can steal stuff from Player A. What kind of stuff? Equipment, magic, plain old cash. Player B could also force Player A to take something that Player B has. I'm not going to name anything, but there are certain items that are definitely things you don't want in your possession, so it's a good idea to foist them onto other players to get rid of them ASAP. Player B could also do silly things to Player A, and while these have no effect on the game, they are the most important part of the "friendship-destroying" aspect. Player B has three options here:

1) Rename Player A's character. To ANYTHING, within character limits, which are pretty long (16 chars, if I remember correctly). So Player A's character name could become "I'm a dumbfuck!" and the game would treat that as his name forever until it gets changed again. ("It's I'm a dumbfuck!'s turn!") There's a wide assortment of names we came up with for the CPU to rename players it defeats, as well. The fact that there's no online play means that we don't have to have restrictions on the kinds of things you can name each other, and we don't have to put "Game experience may change with online play" at startup, because all the obscenity is your own fault, you freaks.
    2) Draw on Player A's face. This just randomly applies a texture to the defeated character, mostly black eyes or scars or silly crosses or whatever. You don't get to actually draw on them.
    3) Change Player A's hairstyle. Shave their head. Go for a mohawk. Turn that pompous pompadour into a pile of poo.

Or Player B can just let Player A go without doing anything to him, aside from the asskicking that got Player A into this position to begin with.

Hair can only be changed at Dokapon Castle, so Player A will have to trek all the way back to the beginning of the game if he wants his hair back to something less insulting.

Edit: Revisiting Dokapon Castle will change your name back to what you originally named it at the start of the game, so a name change is not permanent.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You can permanantly rename your opponent? Wow, that would turn into a fight. :D

Glal on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Too bad you can't really draw on them. I'd draw a wang every time.

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    After some rather postive previews, I'm beginning to be cautiously interested by this. It at least sounds original.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/08/15/profit-from-a-bounty-of-dokapon-video/

I have no idea how to embed this video. But anyway, gameplay video.

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Those videos are from IGN's hands-on last week. No really new information from them, but they enjoyed it.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Looks like a ton of fun. Will most likely be picking this up.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    here's a GREAT preview by IGN

Guek on
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Guek wrote: »
    here's a GREAT preview by IGN

Watch them hate it in the full review and give it a 6.8. :B

That said, this looks like a lot of fun. Is it budget at all? I'm also kind of curious about the campaign; ie., if it's actually decently long. If so, I could go for this. :o

GimeC on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    GimeC wrote: »
    That said, this looks like a lot of fun. Is it budget at all? I'm also kind of curious about the campaign; ie., if it's actually decently long. If so, I could go for this. :o
    If by "budget" you mean standard price for a PS2/Wii game these days ($40), then yes. The campaign's rather straightforward, but you'll need to grind a bit to beat the bosses/conquer towns. Then there's the random weekly events and other things to throw monkey wrenches in your plans. Of course, if the players are gunning for each other, it takes a lot longer to get anything done because you're constantly watching your back and getting zapped by nasty status effects.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can not wait for this game.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    From what i understand this came out today. anyone get it?

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh I thought it was next week. I had ordered from Amazon but it currently says shipping soon. I'm hoping I'll actually be able to get friends together to play it.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    D:

This truly is a game that would destroy friendships. Watching as someone sicks a killer robot on you, sending a bandit to steal their stuff, shaming them after victory... Glorious.

It brings to mind thoughts of playing a roguelike with other people. That's the level of hatred I can see this spawning.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This game sounds too good. I'm kind of upset that the ps2 version isn't cheaper than the Wii version, but whatever. I need more reasons to hate my friends.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I will definitely be getting this. I can't wait. My bf, who doesn't even like games, and sort of hates anime/fantasy style graphics, thought this sounded amazing! So he and I will probably kill eachother.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Obligatory Xagarath (TM) "UK release please" post

Xagarath on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    At a glance this feels like the Munchkin card game to me, which is a great thing. Betrayal as a core gameplay element needs to be more of a standard. Anyone know a PS3 title that fits that bill, by the way? :P

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Obligatory Xagarath (TM) "UK release please" post

Seriously.

Please? We'll be good.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    At a glance this feels like the Munchkin card game to me, which is a great thing. Betrayal as a core gameplay element needs to be more of a standard. Anyone know a PS3 title that fits that bill, by the way? :P

Have you tried Dokapon Kingdom? It's out for the PS2, which should be playable on most PS3s :D

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Except the uns that aren't BC?

wyrlss on
    K9Violator.png
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Have you tried Dokapon Kingdom? It's out for the PS2, which should be playable on most PS3s :D

I wonder if I can find a thread on that around here :o

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So... can we take a minute to talk about how horrible that robot is... just for a little bit. Thanks.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So... can we take a minute to talk about how horrible that robot is... just for a little bit. Thanks.

Horrible as in awesome? I mean really, how humiliating is it to get your ass beat by an assassin robot that looks like that? I'm glad it doesn't look all badass like, it make the kill far less humiliating, infuriating and ultimately...satisfying.

KupotheAvenger on

• Options
    edited October 2008

Horrible as in awesome? I mean really, how humiliating is it to get your ass beat by an assassin robot that looks like that? I'm glad it doesn't look all badass like, it make the kill far less humiliating, infuriating and ultimately...satisfying.

We originally wanted to call his nicer face "Robo Suave" and have him talk, ehhhh, like thees, jes? The other editor and I were really for that one, but the project lead came down hard on it and brought him back to regular robotty-ness. Beep.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Bursar wrote: »

We originally wanted to call his nicer face "Robo Suave" and have him talk, ehhhh, like thees, jes? The other editor and I were really for that one, but the project lead came down hard on it and brought him back to regular robotty-ness. Beep.

Robo Suave. Holy crap, why wasn't that included?! Add a beret on the bastard and have him shoot molten crepes and I'm sold.

KupotheAvenger on

• Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    IGN review is up. They gave it an 8.0.

Sounds like a really great game for those with nearby gaming buddies, so I'll be picking it up soon.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    where did you guys get your copies of the game?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GameStop had it

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    trying today, BB, TRU, and local game shop didn't have it. so I have to try GS now.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Some game stops didn't have it. I had to go to another here in Columbus.

Also... uh... someone just turned himself into a demon... uh... WHUT!?

Dignified Pauper on