As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Galaga Legions - Pac Man CE of Galaga!

slash000slash000 Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
galaga_legions_leadin.jpg

Galaga Legions

medium_2668697489_c3a97274dc_o.jpg

medium_2669518310_14f9aca55b_o.jpg

medium_2668697265_041ec2c8d2_o.jpg

medium_2668696055_d469f7d77e_o.jpg

medium_2669516918_6db4fdde51_o.jpg

Microsoft and Namco Bandai are hoping that the future-retro success of the critically acclaimed Pac-Man Championship Edition can be repeated in another arcade classic, Galaga. The 27-year old vertical shooter is getting a proper update in Galaga Legions, a spectacular laser light show that blends "bullet hell" style gameplay with classic Galaga design.

It's pretty simple stuff on the surface. Move your ship anywhere on the screen with the left analog stick. With the right stick, you can place your ship's two satellite guns. These two guns can be dropped anywhere on the fly, with a quick tap in the direction you want the guns to autofire.
And like the original, you'll be able to add extra fighters to your assault team. This time, instead of the Galagas capturing your ship, you'll capture theirs. In some formations, a special freighter-style ship will appear. Shoot it, and the remaining Galagas will be absorbed and added to your forces.

A new update to Galaga has been announced!

By the same guys who did Pac Man CE!

This is glorious news for Galaga fans, like myself, who to this day find its gameplay addicting and fun.

Here is Kotaku's hands on (quoted above)

I had to make this thread to share my excitement.

After Pacman CE and Space Invaders Extreme, retro remakes are making a really kickass comeback!

slash000 on

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have no idea what's going on in those screenshots, but I want it. Bad. This is quite possibly my most wanted game of the year (narrowly beating out Persona 4).

RainbowDespair on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ho...ly... shit!
    Wow. I need this.

First, Pac-Man, then Space Invaders, and now this?
    I love all those remakes of ancient arcade games!
    What game's next? Which is the lucky title that will get CE-ified or Extr3me-ified?

Djiem on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Its nice to see these remakes getting proper love. I think the atari remakes seem to get screwed over though. I wonder why that is. But namco, taito seem to do a bang up job with them.

Viscountalpha on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Galaga is my all-time favorite classic arcade game. I remember when I was a wee tot thinking that the ability to let your ship get captured only to release it and get dual ships was freakin' sweet. Because it was. And is.

This will be a must-buy for me :)

Tomanta on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think Galaga was the last game my dad played. I wonder how he'd react to seeing this?

I remember having Galaga on my Atari 7800. Good times.

SteevL on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, I love this sort of thing. Sold.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    wow, that is awesome looking, this is definitely a welcome addition.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Considering I love Galaga to this day, this is very good news.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I was just thinking how much more I'd love Space Invaders Extreme (and I already love it a lot) if it were a console game I could play on a TV and sound system.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am extremely skeptical of this. :?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Space Invaders Extreme reincarnate
    So many crazy remakes, probably all spawned by Pac Man CE.
    A-MAZING

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I will be if and when I'll have it bought without even trying it first, and realising it sucks.
    Until then, I'm not even cautious, I'm just overjoyed.

Djiem on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Ho...ly... shit!
    Wow. I need this.

What game's next? Which is the lucky title that will get CE-ified or Extr3me-ified?

I always thought galaga and space invaders were the same game. I also recall owning a game called Galaxian on my Atari when I was a kid, which was also the same game.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Ho...ly... shit!
    Wow. I need this.

I always thought galaga and space invaders were the same game. I also recall owning a game called Galaxian on my Atari when I was a kid, which was also the same game.

Galaxian isn't the same as galaga. Its identical but slightly different. Galaxian you can move in all 4 directions. The ship is different and I don't believe you can get your ship captured. Also galaga came after galaxian and is superior in most ways.

Viscountalpha on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sold. Fucking sold. I love Galaga.

The Sneak! on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

How so? Pac Man CE is like.. the Rennaissance of Pac Man.

The same team is doing Galaga.

They've got experience with PacMan, they've got Space Invaders Extreme which has also set a very high, very excellent standard..

I think there's plenty of good reason to be optimistic about this.

Plus, it looks awesome. Awesome as in it looks and sounds like it'll be tons of fun to play.

But I can understand that if you're a purist, you'd be skeptical as to how the formula could be changed for the better, since the original is still a classic and still Solid Gold.

But I'm not asking for a true to the original game with Galaga Legions. I'm asking for a sort of remix with some new gameplay mechanics that make the game feel fresh but familiar and true to its roots at the same time. Sorta like how Pac Man CE and Space Invaders Extreme accomplished this and both turned out amazing.

Oh, no. Space Invaders is very, very different than Galaga.

In Space Invaders, you have an army of little alients moving in colums/rows slowly toward you, and shooting at you, and you have little shields to block some of their shots.

In Galaga, you have swarms of bug like enemies that fly in with various formations/patterns and into a column/row, but repeatedly break off from the columns/rows to attack you head on and/or shoot you. You can also get nabbed by tractor beam. You also have these cool fast paced bonus rounds in which swarms of enemies swoop in and out as you shoot at them.

In Galaxian, it was sort of in between Galaga and Space Invaders. Bug enemies would start out in formation and then break off rapidly to shoot/attack and then get back in place. Not as much swarming or formations.

Galaga's a lot more fun in my opinion.

I can only imagine how awesome it could be with flowing, swirling, swarming groups of bug enemies buzzing about the screen.

slash000 on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008

Noooo. Galaga, Gaplus, and especially Galaga 88', are similar, but really about flashy enemy patterns and graphics. Galaga 88' is out on the Wii. I happily suggest it.

Enemy ships will "dance" to music, most will explode in fireworks, it's a very light hearted game.

Seconded. It looks to have the crazy enemy patterns and colors down, and I imagine it'll be fun. The turret placement thing brings a fun puzzle like element to it.

But I dunno if it's gonna feel like Galaga.

Also, it's Pacman, Space Invaders, and Tempest that have had awesome retro-refittings.
    They've got experience with PacMan, they've got Space Invaders Extreme which has also set a very high, very excellent standard..

It's the same team behind P:CE and SI:E?

Sheep on
    edited July 2008
    Sheep wrote: »
    It's the same team behind P:CE and SI:E?

No, what I meant is the same team that did Pac Man CE is doing Galaga Legions.

I was just pointing to Space Invaders Extreme, a game developed by Taito (who is owned by Squareenix now, and published by them now as well), as another example of a recent retro remake that is extremely awesome and has kept the bar high for retro remakes. Something for Galaga Legions to live up to.

slash000 on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    this game looks really cool. if it (and pacman ce) ever come to a platform i have access to i'll be all over them.

Ah_Pook on
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

How so? Pac Man CE is like.. the Rennaissance of Pac Man.
    Bullet Hell. Personally, they're the opposite of fun.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
    edited July 2008
    You guys wanna see something funny?

Galaxian 3

Sheep on
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    A question for everyone in here:

Pacman CE was really incredible for doing something unique and different that isn't done in many if any games (evolving levels and pathways). What is Galaga Legions doing that will push it beyond "single screen bullet hell"?

Damn if Galaga isn't fantastic, and double so if I don't want this to be on par with CE, but right now it feels a little spattered.

Polago on
    edited July 2008
    You guys wanna see something funny?

[snip[/url]

It's like they took Starfox, removed the ship, and added way, way too many cutscenes and CGI.

slash000 on
    edited July 2008
    Polago wrote: »
    A question for everyone in here:

Pacman CE was really incredible for doing something unique and different that isn't done in many if any games (evolving levels and pathways). What is Galaga Legions doing that will push it beyond "single screen bullet hell"?

Damn if Galaga isn't fantastic, and double so if I don't want this to be on par with CE, but right now it feels a little spattered.

It feels spattered because we hardly know anything about it.

When Space Invaders Extreme was first shown, I though it ws literally just Space Invaders with a psychadelic background.

The reason I'm hopeful for this game is that it's the Pacman CE guys behind it. They did really cool stuff with Pacman, and I think that they have the talent to do fun and interesting things with Galaga to make it fresh, but maintain the same feel of the original.

Also, the Kotaku mentions bullet hell, but I haven't really seen anything to imply that the game is anything like bullet hell.

Bullet hell implies a screen full of enemies AND a screen full of bullets with big beautiful rotating/moving patterns that cover the screen. I think the Kotaku writer confused bullet hell with simply... a lot of enemies on screen and cool looking back grounds. The Kotaku writers sometimes get their definitions of niche genres mixed up, I've seen it more than once.

Looking at the images of Galaga Legion, what I do not see is a bullet hell game. What I see are a lot of bug enemies swarming and swooping in cool ways. Kind of like the original Galaga, but with more of 'em, and with a lot more psychadelic background/foreground effects. It really doesn't look like a Shikigami game, or a Touhou game, or anything like that which would be considered an actual bullet hell game.

slash000 on
    edited July 2008
    Here's a trailer:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36363.html

This doesn't look like a bullet hell game at all which are defined by elaborate bullet patterns & tiny collision boxes, neither of which looks to be in this game. Rather it looks like a psychedelic version of Galaga where instead of being able to get an extra ship or two on your side for extra firepower, you can get a freakin' army of ships on your side, enemies come from every direction imaginable in massive quantities, and you have some sort of defense system that lets you target variable directions.

RainbowDespair on
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, the kotaku writer didn't know what the hell he was talking about when he said bullet hell.

slash000 on
    edited July 2008
    My wife made an interesting comment when I showed her the trailer: "It doesn't look like Galaga." I think that's a valid point. The second someone sees or plays Pac-Man: Championship Edition or Space Invaders Extreme, the original source material is very obvious, but Galaga Legions seems more like a game that's merely vaguely inspired by Galaga.

Shouldn't stop it from rocking though. :)

RainbowDespair on
    edited July 2008
    Eh. I dunno. It does, but at the same time, it doesn't look like Galaga.

Nice to know that you're wife is familiar with the series. Most people aren't.

Sheep on
  • ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    http://www.gamespot.com/video/950904/6194168/galaga-legions-e3-2008-stage-show-demo

Warning: Everyone in that video is pretty amazingly retarded.

ArcticXC on
    edited July 2008
    They're completely uninterested in the game. The girl looks like she's never played a shmup in her life.

I like the vapid description at the end. Like some producer had to write shit on a cue-card for them to say while he stares emotionless at the monitor.

Sheep on
    edited July 2008
    Looks awesome to me.

I can see how it looks more 'inspired' by galaga than a sort of retro remake. Be that as it may, it looks like a very heavily inspired game.

Either way it looks like a ton of fun.
    They're completely uninterested in the game. The girl looks like she's never played a shmup in her life.

I like the vapid description at the end. Like some producer had to write shit on a cue-card for them to say while he stares emotionless at the monitor.

Yeah, that was a really, really pathetic job on those hosts' part. Just seriously.. terrible. Terrible.

slash000 on
    edited July 2008
    oh shit, that video looks really cool. man, why does namco hate me.

Ah_Pook on
  • astroboyastroboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Galaxian isn't the same as galaga. Its identical but slightly different. Galaxian you can move in all 4 directions. The ship is different and I don't believe you can get your ship captured. Also galaga came after galaxian and is superior in most ways.
    I don't think you can move in all 4 directions in Galaxian, only side-to-side. Your ship, which kinda resembles a Battlestar, can fire only one bullet per shot, as opposed to Galaga's two bullets per shot. And no, your ship cannot be captured. And the enemies' shots are tiny little pixel dots, as opposed to the highly visible "daggers" of Galaga's enemies.

It's a much more basic game, but still fun. I used to play it at the roller rink when I was a kid. :)

astroboy on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: PlayerOne
    My Collection
    edited July 2008
    You can only move side to side in Galaga as well.

In fact, if there's one thing I find ungalaga about what we've seen of this remake so far, it's the complete freedom of movement.

Even so, I still think it can very easily feel like Galaga, if they do it right. But either way, every video I watch makes my demand froth all the more.

slash000 on
    edited July 2008
    personally i dont really care whether it feels like galaga or not, since it looks really damn cool as is. i would also guess that there will be some kind of "classic" game mode thats more similar to the old game, but thats pure speculation on my part.

Ah_Pook on
    edited July 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    personally i dont really care whether it feels like galaga or not, since it looks really damn cool as is. i would also guess that there will be some kind of "classic" game mode thats more similar to the old game, but thats pure speculation on my part.

That's how I feel. I think it looks damn cool and tons of fun, regardless of its namesake.

I still feel, though, that the team will be able to pull together something that does end up feeling like Galaga nonetheless.

But even if we assume that they do not, it still looks like one hell of a fun arcade style shmup.

slash000 on
    edited July 2008
    Just beat Galaga 88' again in anticipation.

THAT IS GALACTIC DANCING!!!

Warm fuzzies.

Sheep on
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll definitely pick it up. It's not Galaga, per say, but looks fun regardless.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bought the second it hits the Arcade.

One of the highlights of E3.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg