As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ikariam On] kitten-poem-wielding pirate-based alliance

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Haha, ok, now I have more wine than I know how to deal with. Need to start getting some marble now. Is it just me or have town hall upgrades gotten more expensive?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Town hall upgrades have gotten much more expensive, but it is also more difficult to support the population happiness level to need them, so it (sort of) balances out. Or something.

Basically, population (and therefore gold) is harder to come by now than before, but military upkeep and trade ship costs have been lowered, so it is also not quite as important as before.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Interesting.

Of course, having less gold sucks when the only asshole selling marble nearby is handing it out for only 99g a piece >.<

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you're not on a marble island already, I would recommend expanding to a marble island ASAP. Marble is the most useful resource other than wood.

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Papillon wrote: »
    If you're not on a marble island already, I would recommend expanding to a marble island ASAP. Marble is the most useful resource other than wood.

I literally just started a couple of days ago. It'll be a bit before I can expand :(

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AcousticAcoustic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Why does DPX sound familiar? Were we at war with them at one point or weren't they an ally of some sort?

I've got some goon attacking me from DPX.

Acoustic on
    Ikariam[BETA] - SIG240
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Huh.... were you inactive? DPX is the closest thing to a brother alliance we have, outside of CREW. Who is it?

edit: Never mind, I see it. Sent pooch a message.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Nope, I log in several times a daily.

Yeah, I was pretty sure DPX was pretty close with us, I wasn't sure if it was them we were at war with an age ago or if they were the ones we fought along side with.

Acoustic on
    Ikariam[BETA] - SIG240
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Pooch says it was a glitch; did he actually take anything from you, or was it just the blockade? Regardless, he should be in contact with you to make things right.
    If not, DPX has a piracy policy and we can stage some war actions, if you want.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    HAHA! That's hillarious shit. He had like 8 minutes remaining before we did battle. I don't know, it was only 10 ships heading my way. I'm pretty sure I would have crushed his 10 ships with my 40.

Nah, no war needed. He withdrew immediately and no battle took place. Thanks for sorting this. :)

Acoustic on
    Ikariam[BETA] - SIG240
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    They might want to add us to their treaty list. Its possible new members of theirs have no idea of our alliance history.

Acoustic on
    Ikariam[BETA] - SIG240
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    They don't do treaties, last I heard. pooch said he was trying to hit an inactive next to you; hopefully it was just a mistaken click. He seemed genuinely surprised when I sent the message to him; claimed at first that he never attacked you, then gave the glitch story when I told him I knew he had a current blockade. *shrugs*

Darian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Wait a second... can you no longer get gold for attacking? I made a phalanx and started hitting the inactives around me to earn cash for more marble but I don't seem to be getting gold from the attacks!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, no more gold plundering.

I got hit with a weird bug once where I traded with someone (bought some wine) who was attacking someone else, and a combat report was generated showing I'd attacked the someone else with 2 ballistas and a ram ship.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is there any way to tell what the chance of success is for different spy missions against your town? I've been catching a fair number of spies recently, and I want to know roughly what % are getting through.

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Not yourself.... I can take a look with my spies if you want me to. Send me a message in game and I'll let you know what the % is.

Darian on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wonder what I should make my seventh town.

I've got 1 of each and 2 wine/marbles. I should probably make it sulfur or crystal, but wine might work too.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'd say either another wine or another marble.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ok, Marble colony started. Now to gun it and try and get a wine colony up and running quickly. Hopefully I can get marble cranked out quickly here soon.

All these changes are weird, but so far I'm not minding them.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Argh.

I decided to try out this game, and I got hit by a research bug almost right off the bat.

I researched the Well Digging and Paper techs...and now the rest of my Science tech tree's been replaced by a copy of the Economy tech tree. Am I screwed? I'm playing on the Zeta server.

[Edit]

...ARRRRR.

It's happened again...this time my Seafaring tree got replaced by a copy of the Military tree.

[Double Edit]

...Dammit. Apparently, the research trees are supposed to behave like that.

:x

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Prerequisites will do that for you. As far as I know, there are no research bugs until you get to the Future techs. And the Future tech bugs were supposedly fixed in the last patch, as well.

Also, when you get your warehouses built up a bit, let us know where you are and someone will send over a care package.

Darian on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This game be slow. Plus I don't even have a second colony yet, this is gonna take forever.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    calonkatcalonkat Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    DPX doesn't do a lot of treaties, but we certainly have considered UPAX friends. Should a DPX member pirate one of you, you can use 5 members of your alliance within two weeks of the piracy and teach them not to mess with you :winky:

Y'all still have a forum section set up at http://www.dpx-beta.com/forums/ anytime you need a more private discussion area.

calonkat on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    This game be slow. Plus I don't even have a second colony yet, this is gonna take forever.

Definitely a slow-paced game, unless you get pretty active on the military side of things. Conveniently, this new patch makes a military strategy much more viable, since opponents can't just turtle, burn their port, and wait you out.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lorahalo wrote: »

Second colony should be pretty quick overall.

I do have a question for the vets:

Do the recent rule changes focus more on combat overall? The last time I played there seemed to be plenty of people playing the resource shuffle game, which I find pretty meh. I like game mechanics that encourage lots of fighting!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The changes give a lot more economic options for people doing the resource shuffle, but they significantly lowered the cost of unit upkeep and took away the ability for the defender to decide how much they could be pillaged. I'd say while the Resource the Gathering people got some goodies, the military game got opened up a bit. HOWEVER, losing looting of gold is a blow to military-minded players. They need to be able to support their military all the time, no more running perpetually in the red.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Honestly, the game feels far more fast-paced than a bunch of other similar games I've tried. ...Though this may be because I came into this game after the rule changes came into play.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Boo - one must sign in to read the official forums. I refuse to remember my password dammit

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, that seemed like an odd decision to me.

"Let's take an essential source of information about our game and community, which could be used to help promote the game to others and give them a glimpse of what it is like, and lock it away behind registration."

Darian on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well I was almost always disappointed by the actual posts, so it is probably a good thing for me at least. It is good to see that Kitten Korner is still about though.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man do I wish occupation was working, even if just the old version that only let you station troops someplace at double upkeep. I'm currently working on sacking a beautifully plump (and idle!) target, and it would be awesome if I could defend the booty and fight off other would-be pillagers on land as well as at sea.

Granted, once I have a gazillion trade ships or two, it won't really be an issue, but that's going to be awhile.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dizzen wrote: »
    Man do I wish occupation was working, even if just the old version that only let you station troops someplace at double upkeep. I'm currently working on sacking a beautifully plump (and idle!) target, and it would be awesome if I could defend the booty and fight off other would-be pillagers on land as well as at sea.

Granted, once I have a gazillion trade ships or two, it won't really be an issue, but that's going to be awhile.

Umm... pretty sure you can defend cities. The only problem is that you cannot defend inactive cities. If you find a juicy active target, though, feel free to defend away. (But you might need to pull the defenders before your next raid shows up, to keep your troops from fighting themselves.)

Darian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Darian wrote: »

Umm... pretty sure you can defend cities. The only problem is that you cannot defend inactive cities. If you find a juicy active target, though, feel free to defend away. (But you might need to pull the defenders before your next raid shows up, to keep your troops from fighting themselves.)
    Oh, hey, you're right! I thought I saw that 'Defend town' button grayed out over actives, but I guess I was just mistaking or had misclicked or something to that effect. Well, that's pretty nifty.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ...Oh crap.

I've got an incoming fleet from some guy named Arman. -- Oh wait, his name is gelo. His island is Arman.

8 ships and 28 units...versus a wall.

...In about 15 minutes.

D:

...Granted, I've got nothing he can pillage aside from a tiny bit of sulfur (which I pillaged from someone else).

[Edit]

Does queuing up units or ships cause resources to not be available for pillaging? As in, could I queue up stuff, wait out the attack, then cancel it and regain the resources?

[Double Edit]

Looks like queuing up stuff right before he landed worked. He got nothing for loot, I got to see what his forces were (28 slingers), and I now have a fleet ready for if he decides to come back. :P

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Skulkraken wrote: »
    ...Oh crap.

I've got an incoming fleet from some guy named Arman.

...In about 15 minutes.

D:

...Granted, I've got nothing he can pillage aside from a tiny bit of sulfur (which I pillaged from someone else).

[Edit]

Does queuing up units or ships cause resources to not be available for pillaging? As in, could I queue up stuff, wait out the attack, then cancel it and regain the resources?
    You cannot cancel the production of units and ships. And you don't get all the resources back if you cancel a construction project.

Did he send a fleet? That is, is there a separate entry from him in the troop movement that's just boats, or a current events listing showing a fleet blocking your port? If not, then as long as you have one boat in your harbor you should be safe, I think.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ...Oh crap.

...In about 15 minutes.

D:

[Edit]

You cannot cancel the production of units and ships. And you don't get all the resources back if you cancel a construction project.

Did he send a fleet? That is, is there a separate entry from him in the troop movement that's just boats, or a current events listing showing a fleet blocking your port? If not, then as long as you have one boat in your harbor you should be safe, I think.

Yeah, I found out I can't cancel production...the hard way. :x Will I get my population back if I disband a unit or ship?

He didn't bother blockading me. How often are blockades used?

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ...Oh crap.

...In about 15 minutes.

D:

[Edit]

Yeah, I found out I can't cancel production...the hard way. :x Will I get my population back if I disband a unit or ship?

I don't think you get civilians back when you fire a unit or ship. I do not believe I have ever tried it, though, so I could be wrong.

Frequency of blockades varies; depends completely on the player attacking you. The short version, though? They'll happen during more of the attacks against you if you do have naval units, but it's still good to have at least one despite that.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Will I get my population back if I disband a unit or ship?

I don't think you get civilians back when you fire a unit or ship. I do not believe I have ever tried it, though, so I could be wrong.

Frequency of blockades varies; depends completely on the player attacking you. The short version, though? They'll happen during more of the attacks against you if you do have naval units, but it's still good to have at least one despite that.

You DO get the population back when you fire a unit. This can be used to help grow cities more quickly (but only if the receiving city can support the pop via happiness), or if you want to abandon a city you can first build some units and send them to other cities to disband, saving the population.

Every city should have at least one ship in port, all the time. This discourages casual raiders from off the island - they won't want to bother to blockade you first. If you also have adequate spy defense (hideout at or above the level of the Town Hall, with most of the spies home on defense) then you're likely to be left alone by most raiders.

Darian on
  • Options
    calonkatcalonkat Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    Darian, spies and hideouts are much less effective at defense now, so you might check the risk to plant spies on each other.

I've got level 26 hideouts with level 23 towns, all spies at home and only running an 87% risk for a level 20 hideout to plant a spy :-(

calonkat on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I noticed that on the Alpha server; spying has become much easier, but it still seems like you should at least try to defend your towns. Knowing that they are spying on you means you have advance warning of an incoming attack.

Darian on