As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wireless not showing up after a reformat

GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I decided to reformat my Dell Vostro 1500 laptop. I just finsihed it and now my wireless card isn't showing up at all in device manager. This is not good at all. Any ideas on why it could be missing?

edit - I'm running Vista by the way

steam_sig.png
Grundlterror on

• Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You might need to install the driver for your wireless nic.

Trentus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Shouldn't it show up in device manager regardless?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EriicEriic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Find the disc that came with the wireless card (or if the card came with the laptop, find the disc that came with the laptop) and install the drivers for it. If you don't have the drivers on disc, go to the manufacturer's website and look for a download for it.

Eriic on
    ^gerber rep ◕ ◡ ◕ nerdy.us | last.fm | XBL: e5x
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I have installed the drivers from the disc. Perhaps I have to get them from the website but that's just stupid. The wifi light is on too.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Installed the drivers from the website and that didn't work either

D:

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hmm, I've also got three things here that just say "base system device" and have a yellow ! next to them (in device manager). Ugh, why does this crap always happen to me. The fact that it only happened immediately after a reformat/reinstall of the OS makes me think that it can't be the card... it has to have something to do with the configuration/software

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat_FireEat_Fire Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Try removing all the devices in device manager and restarting the computer. Wireless cards are finicky creatures. Resetting the bios might not be a bad idea either (works on random problems more than you might think). Not sure what to diagnose the issue as yet. Can you turn the wireless on and off on the switch?

Eat_Fire on
    -Updating life to SP1-
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I can turn it on and off but it just turns the light on and off, it doesn't show up.

I'm running a dual boot with Ubuntu now too and it's not showing up here either. ARGH!

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Alright I've reset bios, still isn't showing up. Did you want me to remove every device from device manager or just the base system devices that are unknown? Two of them were just discovered by the system as a memory stick host controller and a picture card controller.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Weiiird, I went to Windows Mobility Center on my battery power options and all of a sudden I'm able to connect wirelessly. Weiiiiird, it wasn't like this befeore I reformatted.

Well I suppose consider this solved unless someone would like to give me an explanation of exactly what the hell went on here.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png