Options

How Many 360s have YOU gone through?

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If your Elite is out of warranty for RRoD, that means it's like... two weeks out of warranty. The console was released at the end of April, 2007. Did you try calling Microsoft and see if they'll still honor a repair?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    If your Elite is out of warranty for RRoD, that means it's like... two weeks out of warranty. The console was released at the end of April, 2007. Did you try calling Microsoft and see if they'll still honor a repair?

Didn't realize it but it's too late, it's fixed! Still, I didn't want to send it off to Microsoft for a month or so and get it returned so it can RRoD down the road, liked doing it myself.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    Cyrus106Cyrus106 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    two, my first one had the three red rings (each red ring represents an error. 3 lit up rings is the worst, 4 is the least bad, i forgot what 1 and 2 are. I had a 3 and had never even gotten to use it. I sent it back imediately and the company apologized. They sent me a new one with a free extra controller :D)

@Figgy: I disagree, I think Microsoft is a lazy fuck that mass-produces the shortest living console ever, no console is as fragile as the 360. it has NOTHING to do with hardware IMO, it's just too fragile! Slide it one inch across the floor while it's on? Whatever game is inside is destroyed! Do that with a ps3, ps2, gamecube, etc. NOTHING happens to the disk. See my point?

Cyrus106 on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The disc thing doesn't have anything to do with fragility. It's a design issue.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The PS2 wasn't any paragon of hardware fortitude either.

Arrath on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Narian wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »

Didn't realize it but it's too late, it's fixed! Still, I didn't want to send it off to Microsoft for a month or so and get it returned so it can RRoD down the road, liked doing it myself.

My 3rd 360 that died was less than a week over warranty period. A week. Bastards didn't take it in. So I fixed it myself doing that method. Worked for a helluva few monts before dying. Picked up another secondhand one and that died 3 months after purchase. Did the fix, worked for a week then died. Did the fix again worked a month and died again. Just got done fixing it today for the third time and its working decently. Still running hot but eh. Nothings perfect.

Just in time for Red Dead too. Oh and it took three attempts today to get it right. Fucker just wouldn't overheat right!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So... the self-fix is unreliable as hell and you'll spend more time fixing it yourself than waiting the week or two is takes for MS to send you a more reliable refurb?

Of course, if your warranty is out... that's your only option.

And some anecdotle evidence about the reliability of next gen consoles: a guy I work with is on his third playstation 3, so the 360 isn't alone in its downfalls.

Figgy on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Arrath wrote: »

I went through four fat PS2s and two slims. Pieces of fucking shit, just like my PS3s have been so far. My very first oXbox just started developing issues this week.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My xbox just died. Was fine yesterday, switched it on today and there was just four red rings. How easy is it to move your gamer profile to a new console?

Also there's arcade games, a piece of avatar clothing, an indie game and game add-ons to move over....I really hope this isn't a bitch to do.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

First one got stolen, had that one for about a year. My new one I've had for about year now as well, no problems yet.

Vee on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    still on #1 got it xmas '07
    its weird, my tv cabinet area gets really hot
    but the xbox is still completely fine.
    i have a feeling it will happen soon, though.
    it was recently moved next to a p. o. s. projector/tv thingy
    that gets so hot you can fry an egg on it

oh hey guess who got the E74 error!

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    DryesiasDryesias Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I own two 360's. Neither of them have had problems in the almost 3 years I've owned them.

Dryesias on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Domhnall wrote: »
    My xbox just died. Was fine yesterday, switched it on today and there was just four red rings. How easy is it to move your gamer profile to a new console?

Also there's arcade games, a piece of avatar clothing, an indie game and game add-ons to move over....I really hope this isn't a bitch to do.
    My nephew loaded up his profile on my box when he spent the weekend here. If the kid that got a D in geometry can figure it out, I'm sure you can. :P

But seriously, it seems pretty easy.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    chasm wrote: »

I went through four fat PS2s and two slims. Pieces of fucking shit, just like my PS3s have been so far. My very first oXbox just started developing issues this week.

Yeah, I went through three fat PS2's (on my fourth now) as well. I also had to send in my PSX for repairs because it had the overheating issue that plagued many units (the one that could be temporarily resolved by putting it on it's side). The hardware issues I had with all Sony consoles was the primary reason I got a 360 instead of a PS3.

Irony would have it that I chose the console with the greatest risk of hardware failure, but at least I didn't have to pay for a brand new console when my 360 did die... so that counts for something :P

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So yeah, just going to jump in and answer the title. Four now....

Just picked up a cheap arcade. Wasn't the red ring, and it was out of warranty. Maybe i'll pay to repair the original and sell it on sometime. At least it happened right after i completed Alan Wake. Would have went on a frenzy if it was before.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Yeah, I went through three fat PS2's (on my fourth now) as well. I also had to send in my PSX for repairs because it had the overheating issue that plagued many units (the one that could be temporarily resolved by putting it on it's side). The hardware issues I had with all Sony consoles was the primary reason I got a 360 instead of a PS3.

Irony would have it that I chose the console with the greatest risk of hardware failure, but at least I didn't have to pay for a brand new console when my 360 did die... so that counts for something :P

I was almost in the same boat, except I gave up on my third PS2 (four years since my first, I was a late adopter) and grabbed a BC PS3 instead. Figured it'd be worth it. Happy with my decision, but since BC is gone, I would be/will be mad as hell if/when it bites the bullet. Pretty much up shit creek without a paddle.

I completely bi-passed the PS1 for similar reasons (I was in Japan when it launched, the stories about reliability early on were were horrifying).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kind of wish my current one would die now. I would like to get the quieter newer ones. The extra storage space would be really sweet too.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Still on my first, but I came in late (got it last year) so the risk is lower.

It does have problems reading select games sometimes. Probably an issue with the game disc itself more than anything else though.

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I had the strangest glitch with FFXIII like that.

Was switching to disk 3, right after a cinematic, and it got stuck on the loading screen. No freeze, just stuck.

"Well, fuck, guess I have a scratched disk." Inspected it, no scratches. Wiped it off a bit, stuck it back in, redid the battle (which was harder than I remember), zero problems. Only time changing disks has really inconvenienced me.

Switched to the new model. I got a lot of use out of my launch model, so I'm not unhappy.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So my 360 died this morning. I had bought it in March of 2006, so I think it had a pretty good run. It was also the only 360 I'd ever had. I wanted to get one of the new models anyways, for the wireless internet and bigger HDD (I had a 20).

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the HDD transfer cables are available yet? I had been keeping an eye out for them, but then someone told me they weren't going to be available until tomorrow (don't know if that's true). I was also told that the old transfer cables wouldn't work with the new system. Can anyone confirm any of this?

Valleo on
  • Options
    ohthecommotionohthecommotion Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I bought a refurb two years ago, and it hasn't had a problem yet. It's a little loud with a disc in the drive, but I imagine that's normal.

Can't you just buy a new system and plug in your old hard drive?

ohthecommotion on
    COME, my tan-faced children,
    Follow well in order, get your weapons ready,
    Have you your pistols? Have you your sharp-edged axes?
    Pioneers! O pioneers!
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The new slim model uses a different HDD.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    ohthecommotionohthecommotion Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The new slim model's probably more expensive, too. I think if mine died in the near future I'd just get one of the bulky ones again.

ohthecommotion on
    COME, my tan-faced children,
    Follow well in order, get your weapons ready,
    Have you your pistols? Have you your sharp-edged axes?
    Pioneers! O pioneers!
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Currently running an old Xenon from 2006, picked it up after my newer 360 died. I wanted one with the old dashboard on for homebrew purposes. It currently sounds like a jet engine because it's running the fans constantly at 100%. I also modded the plastic shroud inside, by default it fits over the two fans and tries to direct air on to the cpu and gpu, however there's no real direction. Adding a bit of card to seperate the shroud in two, thus giving one fan to the cpu and one to the gpu, knocked the temperature of this old thing down from 79celsius to 45celsius according to the internal thermometers.

Have to see how long this lasts!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Honestly its not that much more expensive when you consider that the wireless network adaptor is $100 new. I think the cheapest I've seen it is $60-$70 refurbished/used.

I have no interest in an Arcade model because I want the bigger HDD. I've seen some nice Elite bundles for $50 cheaper (that come with games), but I only have interest in one of the games that I've seen offered, Forza 3. It also still doesn't have wireless, which wasn't an issue in my old place, but is an issue in my new place.

Edit: I take it no one really knows much about the transfer cables then? Also, I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm up in Canada.

Valleo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You can, of course, get wireless network adapter's cheaper (particularly used ones, they're fairly simple), or use even cheaper bridges. Just something to keep in mind.

Valleo, what do you want to know about transfer cables? They work with all Xbox 360s, even without the disk (thanks to recent system updates), including the new Slims. I hung onto mine after reselling my 250 GB hard disk for $75.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Hopefully it wasnt Disk Read Errors... I know someone who threw out 3 PS2s because of that but it was the most easy fix known to man to stop that error. My first gen PS2 was working when I got my first gen PS3 which in turn is still working great. It also works as my blueray player too.

On the other side my 3rd 360 went down and I am contimplating what to do. Its not a red ring so it will cost 100 bucks to get it fixed from microsoft.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    You can, of course, get wireless network adapter's cheaper (particularly used ones, they're fairly simple), or use even cheaper bridges. Just something to keep in mind.

Valleo, what do you want to know about transfer cables? They work with all Xbox 360s, even without the disk (thanks to recent system updates), including the new Slims. I hung onto mine after reselling my 250 GB hard disk for $75.

Thanks, that's one of the things I was curious about. Someone had told me that the older transfer cables wouldn't work on the new HDD for some reason. I know MS had mentioned that they would be making transfer kits available sometime soon, but I hadn't seen any in stores, so I was kind of worried that I wouldn't be able to get ahold of one. (I really didn't feel like doing it the long way).

Anyhow, if I can use the old ones, I can always pick one up off of eBay for cheap I suppose.

Valleo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I can't fathom why an older transfer cable wouldn't work with a new HDD, nor have I heard of that being the case, so I can't comment--in any case, my cable works with both 20 GB and 250 GB HDD, as well as with the Xbox 360 S.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yay, I knew this thread had to be somewhere. I have already posted in it at least once...

Anyway, on Monday my Xbox 360 S came in to replace my 3rd 'broken' 360. The machine was running alright but wasn't reading discs well and needed to be replaced. I wanted a bigger hard drive anyway, fuck the damn 20GB.

The system's pretty damn nice, and so much quieter than the old model.

As far as transferring, I'm a bit lucky in that a friend of mine had gotten a new hard drive a while back and he had his transfer cable still, so I got to borrow that. Transfer went smoothly, and even the re-licensing content process is a *little* easier than the last time I did it. At least you can assign your download queue rather easily from the website from the list of stuff you've gotten in the past.

I loaded a few games onto the drive and booted up Dead Rising, again, nice and quiet when it doesn't have to have the disc drive spun up. Though even when I was installing the games and had the drive spinning up, it wasn't terribly loud.

Overall quite happy with it, and now I actually have it hooked up via HDMI instead of my older VGA cable, so that's one of the other reasons I wanted a newer model.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Unless I'm mistaken, relicensing is only an issue if you don't keep your console connected to XBLA arcade....I assume that was your case?

On a funny side note, my PS3 is actually significantly louder than my Xbox 360 S when I stand them next to each other. I guess the games I play just involve a lot of spinnin' of the bluray.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I haven't really compared it to my PS3 'fat' as far as loudness is concerned.

I went ahead and did the re-licensing because if I lose internet access, as Comcast is wont to do at times, I don't have to be bored out of my skull and unable to access games I have right there on the hard drive because I can't connect to XBL.

(Though yes I could play disc games)

There's really no reason *not* to, yeah, you can only do it once a year, but meh.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That's a good reason. I guess I'm lucky, I don't have that many arcade games.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is the new 360 dimensionally smaller and does it weigh less?

[EDIT] Nevermind, some reviews online have informed that it is both smaller and lighter.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't fathom why an older transfer cable wouldn't work with a new HDD, nor have I heard of that being the case, so I can't comment--in any case, my cable works with both 20 GB and 250 GB HDD, as well as with the Xbox 360 S.
    Just to be perfectly clear: One end of the cable is a standard USB adaptor, the other end is a special connector that attaches directly to the hard drive. I know that the hard drive end was designed to work with the old HDD's (20-120), does it also connect to the new HDD's?

If you have a slim system with its 250 HDD and the transfer cable and the old 20 HDD, you should be fine.

If you have the cable, a slim system with its 250 HDD and you have a second slim 250 HDD, then I don't know what happens. Or if you have the cable a slim 250 HDD and an old 360.

AlanF5 on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You could just use a USB drive instead of a cable, right? There is no direct difference I assume.

How much would an Arcade with 20gb HDD be worth at the moment? I went to the local Gamestop and they offered me ~90€ however I later read somewhere that they want your personal information before making a deal so they can demand their money back should the system break at some point. :?

I thought of selling it for about 100€ or so via the notice-boards at my local Uni.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    AlanF5 wrote: »
    Just to be perfectly clear: One end of the cable is a standard USB adaptor, the other end is a special connector that attaches directly to the hard drive. I know that the hard drive end was designed to work with the old HDD's (20-120), does it also connect to the new HDD's?

If you have a slim system with its 250 HDD and the transfer cable and the old 20 HDD, you should be fine.

If you have the cable, a slim system with its 250 HDD and you have a second slim 250 HDD, then I don't know what happens. Or if you have the cable a slim 250 HDD and an old 360.

If you have a second Xbox 360 S, I doubt the cable will be any use, since the actual interface inside the HDD is no longer the same.

Right now, you could use a USB drive, it would just take longer/be more tedious (since the largest a USB drive can be recognized by the Xbox 360 is...16GB?) if you had more data to transfer.

EDIT: In retrospect, this is kind of stupid, because you could just take out the S's hard drive and stick it in the other one.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    How much would an Arcade with 20gb HDD be worth at the moment? I went to the local Gamestop and they offered me ~90€ however I later read somewhere that they want your personal information before making a deal so they can demand their money back should the system break at some point. :?

I doubt this is true. They may want your personal information, but they can't come back to you three weeks later because the system red ringed. That's a risk Gamestop takes every time they accept a failure-prone piece of hardware as a trade-in.

Figgy on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yea, it doesn't sound legal for them to do that.

I don't really want the hassle of putting up a notice and haggling and shit with a private customer so I thought 90€ for a ass-old 360 wouldn't be too bad.

My 360 is getting disk read errors every now and again. Am I obliged to tell Gamestop this, assuming they refurbish their used consoles anyway (And I'm not sure IF they even refurbish stuff here in Germany)?

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    Yea, it doesn't sound legal for them to do that.

I don't really want the hassle of putting up a notice and haggling and shit with a private customer so I thought 90€ for a ass-old 360 wouldn't be too bad.

My 360 is getting disk read errors every now and again. Am I obliged to tell Gamestop this, assuming they refurbish their used consoles anyway (And I'm not sure IF they even refurbish stuff here in Germany)?

I've never traded in anything at Gamestop, but I assume they test it right there in front of you.

With the amount of systems (read this thread) that have intermittent errors, Gamestop most likely expects to see a large majority of shit they take in break early on. If it works when they test it, you're in the clear.

Figgy on