As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Convine me to buy a PS3

azncutthroatazncutthroat Registered User new member
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a 360, and I thinking about making the jump to PS3. But I need another reason to get a PS3 besides Blu-Ray and MGS4.

azncutthroat on
«1

Posts

  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    There is no reason to get a PS3 right now, the xbox is better in almost every way. Seriously, so many good games are coming out for the 360 that it would not be smart at all to get a PS3 unless you are dieing to get one of the exclusives on it.

    Fizban140 on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I didnt realize "seriously" was a good argument -_-
    He said nothing about ditching the 360. If you were planning on getting a blue-ray player in the first place, that's practically reason enough - with software updates to keep everything up to date and functional, and amazing games to boot. The upcoming 'Home' should be awesome as well.

    ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    I didnt realize "seriously" was a good argument -_-
    He said nothing about ditching the 360. If you were planning on getting a blue-ray player in the first place, that's practically reason enough - with software updates to keep everything up to date and functional, and amazing games to boot. The upcoming 'Home' should be awesome as well.
    I didn't realize that was my argument, I assumed people would read further than that. I guess if you really have the time to play all the games coming out for the 360 and the PS3 then go for it, but that is a huge amount of time.

    Fizban140 on
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Let's not forget PS2 / PS1 Backwards compatibility hmm? You get access to just about every playstation game ever made, including the rest of the Metal Gear series, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, etc etc.

    ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    trantramptrantramp Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Grand Turismo and MGS are the only things I can really think of right now. Really.

    Oh and as a bluray player for whenever the hell blurays become a common format.

    trantramp on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Either buy one because you can afford it, or don't because you only know of 1 game you want on it.

    I got a feeling this threads gonna go real well

    eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    honkymcgoohonkymcgoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    Let's not forget PS2 / PS1 Backwards compatibility hmm? You get access to just about every playstation game ever made, including the rest of the Metal Gear series, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, etc etc.

    The new ones dont have that feature anymore. He would have to find one of the older models and they usually sell for more than retail even used because they have that feature.

    honkymcgoo on
    I didn't even know what the fuck and avitar was until about 5 minutes ago.
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Okay so from here on out you're all under the riot act. If I see one more person saying "but CONSOLE Y is better!" I'm going to toss infractions.

    This is about whether or not there are additional reasons to own a PS3 beyond MGS4 and blu-ray playing capability. Personally, I'm not sure that blu-ray is at the point where the format justifies spending that much money on a player, and I think that the games library's ability to justify a purchase is equally ambiguous. It may or may not for you, but I know that for my purposes a good uspcaling DVD player is more useful to me than a blu-ray player and I'm just not in love with enough of the PS3 library to make the leap.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    The currently in production 80 GB PS3 model has PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility. In fact all models have PS1 compatibility, regardless of whether or not they also offer PS2 compatibility.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Games List:

    Blu-ray
    MGS4
    Uncharted
    Ratchet and Clank and the sequel
    Grand Turismo
    Resistance
    Super Star Dust
    Warhawk
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    I didnt realize "seriously" was a good argument -_-
    He said nothing about ditching the 360. If you were planning on getting a blue-ray player in the first place, that's practically reason enough - with software updates to keep everything up to date and functional, and amazing games to boot. The upcoming 'Home' should be awesome as well.
    I didn't realize that was my argument, I assumed people would read further than that. I guess if you really have the time to play all the games coming out for the 360 and the PS3 then go for it, but that is a huge amount of time.

    If you have the money I don't see why you wouldn't want to play the best games on every console.
    honkymcgoo wrote: »
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    Let's not forget PS2 / PS1 Backwards compatibility hmm? You get access to just about every playstation game ever made, including the rest of the Metal Gear series, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, etc etc.

    The new ones dont have that feature anymore. He would have to find one of the older models and they usually sell for more than retail even used because they have that feature.

    The 80GB MGS Bundle has pretty good BC, though it isn't perfect.

    khain on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ill brave the threat of possible infraction and post after both mods to say that its all up in the air right now. if you're really patient, i say wait for blu ray tech to become more common ground so that blu ray players will become cheaper. but ps3's wont have a price drop till then. if youre looking for something sleek, i recommend an actual blu ray player.

    my friend picked up a Blu ray/HD-DVD/ DVD player for 300 bucks due to some quick thinking.
    if youre desperate for hi-def and can afford it, getting the ps3 is the way to go for now as people have said before, its firmware upgradable and is a good long term investment if and ONLY if you see yourself going pure hi-def in the future.

    for me and my friends, we're still completely satisfied with watching DVDs.

    delphinus on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Do you have a somewhat large 1080p setup and/or good speakers?

    Because if not, there's really no reason

    and if you do, there's no reason to get any other blu ray player unless you really want to save 200$

    Sam on
  • Options
    azncutthroatazncutthroat Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    Right now, I'm not concerned with Blu-ray. DVD is enough for me. I heard that HD-TVs bought prior (before) to 2005 won't play in HD, because of some digital encryption. I have an HD Progressive Monitor TV (no idea what that means), and I don't have a clue when my parents bought it. My real problem is missing out on the PS3 exlcusives.
    BTW http://fuckbluray.com/

    azncutthroat on
  • Options
    JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Look at the games out for PS3.

    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Uncharted
    Resistance
    Warhawk
    etc.

    If these interest you to the point of $400 then purchase one. If your still on the fence look at upcoming exclusives like Killzone 2, White Knight Story, Little Big Planet, etc and decide if its worth it now or you want to wait.

    I don't think anyone is going to come up with some magical reason for buying one. Its a game console. Do the games on this console justify its price to you? y/n. This is especially simplified if you don't care about Blu Ray.

    Regarding that site you linked above. all the reasons it lists are either completely out of date (Blu Ray players costing $1000+, still mentioning format wars) or really have no impact on me or the common consumer as someone who just wants to watch a blu ray on your tv. Though if your TV is older and doesn't have HDMI I guess that might affect you.

    JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Right now, I'm not concerned with Blu-ray. DVD is enough for me. I heard that HD-TVs bought prior (before) to 2005 won't play in HD, because of some digital encryption. I have an HD Progressive Monitor TV (no idea what that means), and I don't have a clue when my parents bought it. My real problem is missing out on the PS3 exlcusives.
    BTW http://fuckbluray.com/

    My 2003 model sony supports DHCP(encryption) and works fine for bluray.

    Those guys are probably just mad because they bought some no name TV to save some cash and now they're finding out just why they saved that cash.

    No, I don't want a medal, I just wish people would inform themselves before finding out about the limitations of something they bought, and then acting like its anybody's fault but their own.

    eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just bought a PS3, and love it. I've seen other Blu-ray players, and this one is hands down faster on loading, menus, etc. I've been happy so far with the PSN store, though it is no Xbox Live. The games I've played are cool.

    That being said, I do not own a 360. I think once you own a 360, the justification for switching is pretty difficult. I'm surprised to see that in this entire thread, no one brought up the rumors and high expectation that Xbox will be adding a blu-ray player. Most of the best games aren't exclusive to one system or the other (especially if, like me, you're not all that impressed with Halo). MGS4 and Uncharted are both cool PS3 exclusives, and there are and will be others, but look if you really want to play those games.

    For a new adopter, I would vote PS3 over 360 for its greater reliability (RRoD nonwithstanding, I froze constantly during bioshock on my friend's 360), proven blu-ray, and its exclusives that I've already loved. But if you already HAVE a 360? I'm not sure I can recommend picking it up in addition to that.

    Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

    PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I don't own a 360, so I have nothing to compare my PS3 to but I absolutely love it. Let me tell you how I use it.

    My current setup is my tv connected via coax cable to my cable box (comcast), with my PS3, Gamecube and Xbox connected to a switch. This is all "standard" definition unfortunately until I get a new TV.

    The PS3 is also connected to my wireless router, which I use for all my interweb needs. I can now share all the media on my PC wirelessly to my PS3. So any data and movies that I've ripped I can now access instantly instead of looking through my DVD wallet.

    That's on top of my (admittedly meager) 5 game collection of Armored Core 4, Guitar Hero 3, MGS4, Need for Speed Pro Street (Which you should avoid for PS3 because it doesn't actually work, I hate EA) and Resistance Fall of Man.

    All in all, I use the machine as much for my PC media and Blu-ray discs as I do to play games. I absolutely love it.

    Also, not to jump on the mod too much (sorry forget the name) but I'm almost certain the current 80gb models do NOT have backwards compatability, though I could be wrong as there have been like 420240 SKU's for the PS3.

    PS, I have the 60gb model.

    Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have a 360, I just bought a PS3, and I have no regrets at all. If you have the cash and think you'd like it then there's no reason not to grab it.

    Add Folklore to the list of PS3 Exclusive Games that are worth checking out. Can be picked up for $30ish.

    And I'd like to second Disgaea 3 next month.

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Also, not to jump on the mod too much (sorry forget the name) but I'm almost certain the current 80gb models do NOT have backwards compatability, though I could be wrong as there have been like 420240 SKU's for the PS3.

    PS, I have the 60gb model.

    Your wrong, the current 80 GB do have backwards compatibility.

    Hardware Backwards Compatibility
    20 GB
    60 GB (USA)

    Emulated Backwards Compatibility
    60 GB (PAL)
    80 GB (until Sept 2008)

    No Backwards Compatibility
    40 GB (PAL)
    80 GB (after Sept 2008)

    Source

    khain on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This is the exclusive game list of wikipedia, it includes games that have not yet been released, may include games from other regions, and might not be 100% accurate. It however should give you a good idea of what's available now and in the future.

    ===================
    Flat-out exclusives
    ===================
    Afrika
    Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories
    Big Time Revenge
    BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
    Boku no Natsu Yasumi 3
    Brave Arms
    Bumpy Trot 2
    Buzz! Quiz TV
    Chain Limit
    Codename: Sengoku 23KU
    Cross Edge
    Dark Cloud 3
    Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
    Driver
    Everybody's Golf: World Tour
    The Eye of Judgment
    EyeCreate
    Eyedentify
    Fifth Phantom Saga
    Final Fantasy Versus XIII
    Folklore
    Formula One Championship Edition
    Full Auto 2: Battlelines
    G1
    Genji: Days of the Blade
    The Godfather: The Don's Edition
    God of War III
    Gran Turismo 5
    Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
    Haze
    Heavenly Sword
    Heavy Rain
    Imabikisou
    inFamous
    Initial D Extreme Stage
    Killzone 2
    Kurayami
    L.A. Noire
    Lair
    LittleBigPlanet
    MAG: Massive Action Game
    Mahjong Kakutou Club
    Mahjong Taikai IV
    Megazone 23: Aoi Garland
    Metal Gear Online
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
    Metro 2033: The Last Refuge
    Mist of Chaos
    MLB 07: The Show
    MLB 08: The Show
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
    MotorStorm
    MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
    Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm
    NBA 07
    NBA 08
    NBA 09: The Inside
    Ni-Oh
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma
    Nobi Nobi Boy
    Professional Baseball Spirits 4
    Professional Baseball Spirits 5
    Railfan: Chicago Transit Authority Brown Line
    Railfan: Taiwan High Speed Rail
    Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty
    Record of Agarest War
    Redwood Falls
    Red Dead Revolver 2
    Rengoku: The End of the Century
    Resistance: Fall of Man
    Resistance 2
    Ridge Racer 7
    Second Season 01
    Sega Golf Club
    SingStar
    SingStar Vol. 2
    Siren: Blood Curse
    SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation
    Tekken 6
    Time Crisis 4
    Twisted Metal
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Wangan Midnight
    WarDevil: Unleash the Beast Within
    Warhawk
    Way of the Samurai 3
    White Knight Chronicles
    Winning Post 7 Maximum 2007
    Yakuza 3
    Yakuza: Kenzan!

    =================
    Console Exlusives
    =================
    The Agency
    Amphibian Man
    Angels Online
    DC Universe Online
    Free Realms
    Tears to Tiara: Earth's Wreath
    The Wall
    White Album

    DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Infamous is looking to be a pretty promising game, and there are a few other exclusives coming out that look pretty good.

    If you want one, get one (and lets be honest, if you didn't want to get one you wouldn't have started this thread). I have an Xbox and a PS3--there's no rule saying you can't own both. I promise Bill Gates won't revoke your gamerscore if he finds out.

    RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Not to hijack the thread, but it seems silly to create a new one for a simple question I've got concerning buying a PS3:

    My girlfriend is moving back to Switzerland and wants to sell me her PS3. I'm fairly certain its a 40Gig. What's a fair price to throw her way so that I don't give her too much, but she doesn't leave wanting?

    Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd try to find a MGS4 bundle if I were you, seeing as that's only backwards compatible one left. But if you can't find that, then you're out of luck, seeing as they aren't making plain old backwards compatible 80 gigs anymore. Which is a shame, as that was one of the reasons I was gonna get one.

    Edit: But if you don't care about that, then wait for september when they release the cheaper 80gig.

    Kenninator on
  • Options
    NoelVeigaNoelVeiga Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    To the OP: Depends on your tastes. My PS3 is my first console for MP because I'm in Europe and my friends are all online through PSN, not Live (and I refuse to pay for online gaming, anyway), but considering my experience on both consoles I also find the PS3 package more convenient overall due to the slick interface, battery-enabled gamepads, movie playback options, web browser and a few other design choices.

    As for games, I have to say I have more Live Arcade games, but play more PSN downloads more often. But, as I said, that's a matter of taste, PixelJunk Monsters is more in synch with my design tastes than, I don't know, Geometry Wars.

    Almost everything is multiplatform these days, but I do think there are a few current and upcoming Sony exclusives that are very interesting, though. Little Big Planet, Metal Gear and God of War are the most famous ones right now, but you know the Ico people will come up with something soon (it's been confirmed) and pretty much every Sony first party studio is a solid triple A maker. They're not Nintendo, but close enough.

    Other than that, it's all about how much money you're willing to spend in your gaming, and for what.
    Wootloops wrote: »
    Not to hijack the thread, but it seems silly to create a new one for a simple question I've got concerning buying a PS3:

    My girlfriend is moving back to Switzerland and wants to sell me her PS3. I'm fairly certain its a 40Gig. What's a fair price to throw her way so that I don't give her too much, but she doesn't leave wanting?

    I got my backwards compatible one for under 300 euros, so around 250 bucks is what I'd offer.

    But, damn, your girlfriend sucks. She could have given it to you. Or, at least, offered you a nice discount price. I believe you were doing something wrong with her. You might want to consider one last very romantic evening with her before you offer her money.

    NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    NoelVeiga wrote: »
    Wootloops wrote: »
    Not to hijack the thread, but it seems silly to create a new one for a simple question I've got concerning buying a PS3:

    My girlfriend is moving back to Switzerland and wants to sell me her PS3. I'm fairly certain its a 40Gig. What's a fair price to throw her way so that I don't give her too much, but she doesn't leave wanting?

    I got my backwards compatible one for under 300 euros, so around 250 bucks is what I'd offer.

    But, damn, your girlfriend sucks. She could have given it to you. Or, at least, offered you a nice discount price. I believe you were doing something wrong with her. You might want to consider one last very romantic evening with her before you offer her money.

    Haha, no no..it's not what you think. She is offering it to me at a discount, but she doesn't know what a fair price is and neither do I. She's throwing in 3 or 4 games to boot, so I'm making off pretty well in the end. I'm sure I could probably finagle it from her for free or next to nothing, but I sympathize with her as she is going to be a poor college student in Zurich of all places. Seriously, the food and drink prices there make Manhattan eateries look like dollar stores (40-70 SF for a thai curry entree! D:).

    Thanks for the price gauge, though.

    Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NoelVeigaNoelVeiga Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wootloops wrote: »
    NoelVeiga wrote: »
    Wootloops wrote: »
    Not to hijack the thread, but it seems silly to create a new one for a simple question I've got concerning buying a PS3:

    My girlfriend is moving back to Switzerland and wants to sell me her PS3. I'm fairly certain its a 40Gig. What's a fair price to throw her way so that I don't give her too much, but she doesn't leave wanting?

    I got my backwards compatible one for under 300 euros, so around 250 bucks is what I'd offer.

    But, damn, your girlfriend sucks. She could have given it to you. Or, at least, offered you a nice discount price. I believe you were doing something wrong with her. You might want to consider one last very romantic evening with her before you offer her money.

    Haha, no no..it's not what you think. She is offering it to me at a discount, but she doesn't know what a fair price is and neither do I. She's throwing in 3 or 4 games to boot, so I'm making off pretty well in the end. I'm sure I could probably finagle it from her for free or next to nothing, but I sympathize with her as she is going to be a poor college student in Zurich of all places. Seriously, the food and drink prices there make Manhattan eateries look like dollar stores (40-70 SF for a thai curry entree! D:).

    Thanks for the price gauge, though.

    Yeah, that version of it sounds more reasonable.

    I haven't been to Zurich, but if it's anything like Paris and Rome I can feel her pain (10 euros for a Coca Cola is my personal record, in Paris). Good thing I'm Spanish and we literally give food away with drinks here. I don't know how long I could survive in a place where bars close at 11 and restaurants are a luxury.

    NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    azncutthroatazncutthroat Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    Just wondering, but what are the differences between a PS3 40 gig, the upcoming PS3 80 gig, and the current PS3 80 gig? I'm kinda confused about them. And throwing into this, the MGS4 PS3 bundle pack. I'm considering the MGS4 bundle pack, if I can find it. If I can't, then what's my second option? Should I wait for the 80 gig PS3 or just get the 40 gig PS3? And what's the deal with the backwards compatibility? I thought the selling point of PS3 is backwards compatibility...

    azncutthroat on
  • Options
    JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The current 80 gig has backwards compatiblity for ps2 through software. That can really only be found through the mgs4 bundle now it seems.

    The 40 gig and the upcoming 80 gig both only have backwards compatibility for ps1 titles and are the same except for the hard drive size.

    JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    There are better ways to drop your money than on another video game console.

    Trust me.

    Nothing about quality or anything, but really, it's unneccesary, and blu-ray may come to 360 yet

    The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    azncutthroatazncutthroat Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    I've heard that MS wasn't sure that HD-DVD would win the format war, so MS deliberately built the 360 without an integrated HD-DVD drive. This way 360 would be flexible in the event of HD-DVD or Blu-Ray won the format war.

    azncutthroat on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    khain wrote: »
    Also, not to jump on the mod too much (sorry forget the name) but I'm almost certain the current 80gb models do NOT have backwards compatability, though I could be wrong as there have been like 420240 SKU's for the PS3.

    PS, I have the 60gb model.

    Your wrong, the current 80 GB do have backwards compatibility.

    Hardware Backwards Compatibility
    20 GB
    60 GB (USA)

    Emulated Backwards Compatibility
    60 GB (PAL)
    80 GB (until Sept 2008)

    No Backwards Compatibility
    40 GB (PAL)
    80 GB (after Sept 2008)

    Source


    I stand corrected. That is more in line with what i heard, now that I see it written all nicely.

    Also, the day MS produces a blu-ray 360 drive I'll...well...I don't know what I'll do. It'll be embarrassing though.

    Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you don't have one yet, I'd get a wii or a nice gaming computer over the PS3. I don't know anyone who has a 360 who is freaking out over not having a PS3. But anyone with a PS3 and no 360 is surely regretting their choice.

    Dman on
  • Options
    digital.aarondigital.aaron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dman wrote: »
    If you don't have one yet, I'd get a wii or a nice gaming computer over the PS3. I don't know anyone who has a 360 who is freaking out over not having a PS3. But anyone with a PS3 and no 360 is surely regretting their choice.

    I would actually recommend NOT getting a Wii if you play mostly solo. I bought one in August of last year, and ended up selling it at the beginning of this year. Most of the "adult" people i know who bought one either don't play it, or have already sold it. The draw of the Wii comes with playing with a group of people, in your living room. It's lots of fun with other people, not so much if you're by yourself.

    If you've got the cash burning a hole in your pocket, I say buy a PS3. You'll be able to play any exclusives you want, you'll have a kickass Blu-Ray/Upscaled DVD player, plus you can sign up for Folding@Home and help make the world a better place. It's a win/win situation for everyone.

    However, there are a few reason NOT to get a PS3, as well, including:
    *Poor friends support for multiplayer games.
    *No need for another media system (dvd, mp4, mp3, avi, etc)
    *It costs a lot of money.
    *Most games are already multiplatform / there may not be enough exclusives to justify the purchase

    digital.aaron on
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    *Poor friends support for multiplayer games.

    The last patch from i think last week fixed this in a huge way, you now have access to the XMB anytime just by tapping the PS button.

    ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    digital.aarondigital.aaron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    *Poor friends support for multiplayer games.

    The last patch from i think last week fixed this in a huge way, you now have access to the XMB anytime just by tapping the PS button.

    Ah yes, the much requested "in-game XMB". Have you tried to actually use it to play with your friends? I have, and it still doesn't work very well. Live is still superior in this aspect. But I digress. I really don't want to turn this into a pissing match.

    Friends compatibility is still a major concern for some people. And the fact of the matter is that Live just does it better.

    digital.aaron on
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    *Poor friends support for multiplayer games.

    The last patch from i think last week fixed this in a huge way, you now have access to the XMB anytime just by tapping the PS button.

    Ah yes, the much requested "in-game XMB". Have you tried to actually use it to play with your friends? I have, and it still doesn't work very well. Live is still superior in this aspect. But I digress. I really don't want to turn this into a pissing match.

    Friends compatibility is still a major concern for some people. And the fact of the matter is that Live just does it better.

    I dont doubt it as i've never used XBL, but it's a step in the right direction. Just needs polish.

    ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dman wrote: »
    If you don't have one yet, I'd get a wii or a nice gaming computer over the PS3. I don't know anyone who has a 360 who is freaking out over not having a PS3. But anyone with a PS3 and no 360 is surely regretting their choice.


    You are wrong. I love my PS3. It does everything I want it to, and more. It's reliability is, so far (2 years), infallible. I have access to all the games I want (I currently own 8 games. For my original XBOX I owned a total of six, for my PS2 I owned ten, for my N64 I owned nine, for my PS1 I owned well over 20 games.) I use the BluRay capability to watch movies in 1080P on my parents television (I visit every second weekend and bring a movie to watch after Sunday afternoon roast.)

    And all things considered, it really is not that expensive. When I bought it for $988 AUD with two games and a third controller, I felt it in my hip pocket, after all, that was one more r/c car I would be going without. But I already have too many r/c cars, so what's the loss?


    To the O.P., get the system being offered to you. Offer her a hundred dollars below current price for new, bottom of the rung system. If she frowns, increase offer by $100 dollars. Or just buy her plane ticket for her, or something.

    Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The PS3 library is finally going to start beefing up soon, so I ended up getting one myself. Its been a little over a month (bought the MGS4 bundle) and I haven't regretted it. PSN is great for being free, and you can also make a Japanese account and download Japanese exclusives as well. If you fancy Japanese games, you can safely import them and play them on your PS3 without any region hacks.

    Also, even though its cliche, I must reiterate the Blu-ray player. Its also effectively replaced my DVD player, and I just play all my movies on it.

    Really though, if the current and future game library doesn't look too appealing to you, then you'd be better off not picking it up. While its great for all the other amazing things it can do, it'd be a waste of money to buy it and not play any games on it.

    Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dman wrote: »
    If you don't have one yet, I'd get a wii or a nice gaming computer over the PS3. I don't know anyone who has a 360 who is freaking out over not having a PS3. But anyone with a PS3 and no 360 is surely regretting their choice.

    Wrong, so very very wrong.

    I have a PS3 and no regrets.

    The Black Hunter on
Sign In or Register to comment.