As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Computer picky about hardware!

SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
My computer doesn't like hardware that isn't a webcam or headpone with a jack, I want to use my usb headphones but I can't because it doesn't recognize them, I also wanted some new speakers since the others died but that was a no go as well.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 3000 (yes shitty I know I plan on making my own). Can anyone help with this problem?

SkutSkut on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Are the speakers USB by any chance?

You could be plugging USB 2.0 equipment into USB 1.0 connectors. For some devices (Read: a lot), this won't work.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    bowen wrote: »

You could be plugging USB 2.0 equipment into USB 1.0 connectors. For some devices (Read: a lot), this won't work.

They are, I don't suppose there's a quick and simple way to tell which is which?

SkutSkut on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    My computer doesn't like hardware that isn't a webcam or headpone with a jack, I want to use my usb headphones but I can't because it doesn't recognize them, I also wanted some new speakers since the others died but that was a no go as well.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 3000 (yes shitty I know I plan on making my own). Can anyone help with this problem?

my guess is something is wrong with your usb port, do you have any other devices you could try to see if they work as well? a mouse or something?

Dunadan019 on
    edited July 2008

They are, I don't suppose there's a quick and simple way to tell which is which?

The devices should say on their packaging what USB version the use. Not sure how to check it on the PC itself, but with a computer that old, I wouldn't be too surprised. A lot of them have at least 1-2 USB 1.0 slots and 2-4 USB 2.0 slots.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited July 2008

The devices should say on their packaging what USB version the use. Not sure how to check it on the PC itself, but with a computer that old, I wouldn't be too surprised. A lot of them have at least 1-2 USB 1.0 slots and 2-4 USB 2.0 slots.

the thing is i have never seen a usb 1.0 port that doesnt at least recognize that something is plugged into it even if it cant tell what it is... even with USB 2.0. normally all that happens when plugging in a usb 2.0 device to a 1.0 slot is a little box pops up saying "this device can perform faster if you put it in a 2.0 slot"

Dunadan019 on
    edited July 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

the thing is i have never seen a usb 1.0 port that doesnt at least recognize that something is plugged into it even if it cant tell what it is... even with USB 2.0. normally all that happens when plugging in a usb 2.0 device to a 1.0 slot is a little box pops up saying "this device can perform faster if you put it in a 2.0 slot"

With my Logitech G15 keyboard, USB 1.0 won't even recognize it. Possibly because it draws more power than USB 1.0 was supposed to give out. I've seen it happen most frequently with USB speakers/headsets, but occasionally with things like thumb drives, keyboards, and so on.

EDIT: On that note, also make sure you're plugging it directly into the connector and not into and extender or a hub. These will also cause similar issues.

bowen on
    edited July 2008
    I messed with it and the front USB ports don't recognize it at all, but the ones no the back do but there's abolutely no output, it's a Microsoft Lifechat 3000 if that helps and yes I installed the CD first.

SkutSkut on
    edited July 2008
    I messed with it and the front USB ports don't recognize it at all, but the ones no the back do but there's abolutely no output, it's a Microsoft Lifechat 3000 if that helps and yes I installed the CD first.

In that case, your front ports were most likely unplugged or have somehow gone bad. The back ports are probably USB 1.0 by the sounds of it, if it did get recognized chances are USB 1.0 isn't capable of using it. Or the volume is too low. Seems USB 1.1 shouldn't have an issue, how old is that PC? Could it be possible it really does have the USB 1.0 interface?

bowen on
    edited July 2008

sounds like you need a USB 2.0 slot.

get a PCI USB theyre all pretty cheap if u dont like that one

Dunadan019 on
    edited July 2008

In that case, your front ports were most likely unplugged or have somehow gone bad. The back ports are probably USB 1.0 by the sounds of it, if it did get recognized chances are USB 1.0 isn't capable of using it. Or the volume is too low. Seems USB 1.1 shouldn't have an issue, how old is that PC? Could it be possible it really does have the USB 1.0 interface?

well they still make them apparantly but here's the specs
    crappy budget pc

And the front houses my routers usb so it's not fried or anything

SkutSkut on
    edited July 2008
    Bastards. They don't specify USB 1.1 or 2.0, both of which have "hi-speed". Yeah, get a USB 2.0 card.

bowen on
    edited July 2008
    Will do. Thanks.

SkutSkut on
    edited July 2008
    Will do. Thanks.

You can pick them up at Wal-mart too, don't waste money on shipping if you don't have to. Let us know if it still doesn't work.

bowen on
    edited July 2008
    Will do. Thanks.

You can pick them up at Wal-mart too, don't waste money on shipping if you don't have to. Let us know if it still doesn't work.

ok, though I honestly hope to just make a new computer before messing with this one, I actually plan on using it solely for storage, or setting it on fire when I get a new one so I doubt it'll see any upgrades soon.

SkutSkut on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Um, quick question. You are selecting the webcam as your default recording device in the sound control panel aren't you? Same thing with the speakers as default output device...

Your computer has usb 2.0 http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3000/en/OM/j6758A04.pdf I think everyone here didn't think of the simplest answer.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
    edited July 2008
    That could be too, didn't even think about that one. The only reason I am still stuck on the older USB thing is because those front connectors didn't detect the hardware and that's usually a really good indication of it.

bowen on
    edited July 2008
    Um, quick question. You are selecting the webcam as your default recording device in the sound control panel aren't you? Same thing with the speakers as default output device...

Your computer has usb 2.0 http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3000/en/OM/j6758A04.pdf I think everyone here didn't think of the simplest answer.

would that be mixer device in the Volume Control properties? It's done this without a webcam before I have to borrow a jack from my friends to even use the headphones I have for it.

SkutSkut on
    edited July 2008
    No. Go to control panel then go to Sound and Audio Devices. In windows XP there's a drop down list of available devices in the Audio tab, you pick the one you want to use. In Vista it's a list of devices, you click on it and hit set as default.

usbaudio.gif
    audio-vista3.gif

Transparent on
    edited July 2008
    No that's "sound max digital audio" then

SkutSkut on
    edited July 2008
    Sorry, those were generic pictures. Soundmax digital audio is your motherboard's built in audio. What I'm getting at is that USB devices show up separately and you have to go to this control panel and pick them if you want windows to use them. I don't know what they'll be called. Possible "USB Audio device". Possibly "Microsoft Lifecam VX" I don't know.

Transparent on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    SkutSkut, have you gone into your device manager to make sure all your USB drivers are installed (ie you don't have any unknown devices)?

Ego on
    Erik
    edited July 2008
    Ego wrote: »
    SkutSkut, have you gone into your device manager to make sure all your USB drivers are installed (ie you don't have any unknown devices)?

Everything's connected and installed.

SkutSkut on
    edited July 2008
    So your USB headphones and/or webcam don't show up in the list of devices in the sound control panel when they're plugged in?

Transparent on
    edited July 2008
    So your USB headphones and/or webcam don't show up in the list of devices in the sound control panel when they're plugged in?

They show up and the webcam works but the headset doesn't.

SkutSkut on