As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Liberal Crime Squad! Making the country safe for godless heathens!

NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
Liberal Crime Squad (download link at the bottom) is a semi roguelike semi text adventure game made by Bay 12 Games, the same guys who made Dwarf Fortress which, I don't know, some people like? Any who I thought it deserved its own thread.

So what is Liberal Crime Squad you might ask? Well LCS takes place in a fantasyland where the conservatives control the Presidency, Congress, and Supreme Court, I know this may be harder for some people to buy into then Dwarf Fortress's premise but try to imagine. In Liberal Crime Squad you need to try to change the system through violence, kidnapping, arson, vandalism, graffiti, and all sorts of other things. The game begins with a series of questions which determine your starting stats.

Anyway I can't think of anything else to say really, so come on, try the game, have some fun, kidnap a radio show host or two.

Neaden on

• Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    "Eventually the public will fall behind us, and we will put more Elite Liberals in government. "

Fail.

I feel like I've already lost the game simply by reading its description.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Inflammatory freakout from Fox News pundits in 3... 2...

Really, why couldn't this have been done without the mindless application of asinine political cliches? Have regular people overthrow a corrupt government and all that. This just seems pointless.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Criticizing Toady One...that's a paddlin'.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dudes be taking this too seriously

Has anyone actually played this yet?

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The game does not do subtle satire on either side, one example is that your Liberal rating is heart, and Conservative rating is Wisdom.

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm downloading it now. I've meant to try it forever.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Really, why couldn't this have been done without the mindless application of asinine political cliches? Have regular people overthrow a corrupt government and all that. This just seems pointless.

Fox News can't freak out over it, they made it. The domain is even registered under News Corp.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I can't figure out whether he's making fun of the way that conservatives view liberals or the way that liberals view themselves. Perhaps it's a healthy bit of both?

Either way, I really wouldn't take the game too seriously, it's pure satire.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

If you are taking this seriously, you're doing it wrong. It's from the guy who made DWARF FORTRESS, for the love.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

If you are taking this seriously, you're doing it wrong. It's from the guy who made DWARF FORTRESS, for the love.

It's also pretty fun.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

It's also pretty fun.

I fully intend to download this tonight.

Also, from the front page:
    We have attempted to include foul language, graphic violence, politics, religion, sexual references, adult situations, narcotics, prostitution, bodily functions and bad pickup lines, but Bay 12 Games recognizes that there might be omissions which will make some players uncomfortable.

Man I love Tarn.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I never tried it, but I've read about playthroughs and it seems really wacky.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I can't figure out whether he's making fun of the way that conservatives view liberals or the way that liberals view themselves. Perhaps it's a healthy bit of both?

Either way, I really wouldn't take the game too seriously, it's pure satire.

I believe it is both. People really are taking this much more seriously then I ever thought they would.

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Haha, the damage system is still pretty ridiculous.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Political satire done badly is a sad, sad thing, even if you don't take it seriously. The Daily Show this ain't.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Political satire done badly is a sad, sad thing, even if you don't take it seriously. The Daily Show this ain't trying to be.

Fixed that for you.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ilmmad wrote: »
    Political satire done badly is a sad, sad thing, even if you don't take it seriously. The Daily Show this ain't trying to be.

Fixed that for you.

Then why apply the liberal and conservative labels at all? Sounds like a massively wasted opportunity to me. A strategy game that tweaked both sides intelligently without knee-jerk stereotypes? A political game that managed to be vastly sharper and wittier than the average brainless Jay Leno monologue? Sign me up.

Ah well, I'll be quiet and look for that elsewhere.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Fixed that for you.

Then why apply the liberal and conservative labels at all? Sounds like a massively wasted opportunity to me. A strategy game that tweaked both sides intelligently without knee-jerk stereotypes? A political game that managed to be vastly sharper and wittier than the average brainless Jay Leno monologue? Sign me up.

You don't seem to get it. The game is built entirely off of these knee-jerk stereotypes.

So it isn't a wasted opportunity.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Fixed that for you.

I don't know anything about it but, http://www.politicalmachine.com/ ?

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I see I'm not the only one who saw the Something Awful Let's Play! of this :P - I downloaded it last night.

You should throw the wiki (though it's currently somewhat unhelpful) in the main post. Perhaps an image or two.

It's a pretty fun game, though somewhat nebulous for the beginner - there's no real indication of what exactly you're accomplishing, and what the effects of your actions are. Fortunately, it's open-source, so if you really want to you can download the source and figure it out (or just cheat wildly).

As for the politics: it's really a satire of both sides.

EDIT: Here's the SA Let's Play! thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2900817

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Fixed that for you.

You don't seem to get it. The game is built entirely off of these knee-jerk stereotypes.

Nonono, I get it in the sense that there's nothing to get. From what I read it doesn't really do anything with these stereotypes except attach dick jokes to them.

The political machine is ok but a straightforward election simulator. I'd love something with, say, the premise of Bad Day LA without the dumb-ass execution.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    A security guard just shot my tongue out. Seriously, this game is awesome. Maybe not up to the quality of Dwarf Fortress, but still fun.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Fixed that for you.

Nonono, I get it in the sense that there's nothing to get. From what I read it doesn't really do anything with these stereotypes except attach dick jokes to them.

The political machine is ok but a straightforward election simulator. I'd love something with, say, the premise of Bad Day LA without the dumb-ass execution.

I fear what you read is incorrect, then. I have yet to run into any low-brow humour, and have been playing it for the past day.
    Besides, what is he really going to do with the stereotypes? It's a fairly simple game, and doesn't have any storyline to work with. When the only real source of satire is in pieces of dialogue said by random characters that will be repeated over and over, there's no real chance for toying with the stereotypes.
    I suppose one could argue that the game should have a storyline, or should include "character" NPCs, but the emphasis is on the gameplay (following a game called Oubliette, I believe) and story would muddle that (or at least be a pointless detour). It's akin to including a storyline into nethack. Perhaps if it was being developed into a "full" game it would make sense, but it's not (or at least not yet).

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    When I downloaded this game I got a bunch of trojans along with it. It seemed pretty fun though.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    When I downloaded this game I got a bunch of trojans along with it. It seemed pretty fun though.
    Weird. Did you download from the link in the OP? I'll run a virus scan to make sure.

So I think I've determined that Persuassion is a pretty useless starting state, just because of how easy it is to pump. I raised it 7 point in two days without any real problems.

Neaden on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Actually somebody on SA was doing a let's play of it and had a download link in there.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So anyone playing this that can tell me a good way to get rid of excess liberals on my team? I raided some garment makers and now i'm assdeep in naked people and the food bill oh god. I've been pimping them out but bitches ain't makin' nuff money

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    revolutionary beanrevolutionary bean Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So anyone playing this that can tell me a good way to get rid of excess liberals on my team? I raided some garment makers and now i'm assdeep in naked people and the food bill oh god. I've been pimping them out but bitches ain't makin' nuff money

Man, you gotta like, make some crack whores out of those bitches.

You're gonna make a lot of money in no time with 30 crack whores working for you out there.

When the cops come for you, just deny everything man.

revolutionary bean on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Problem solved though, i got half of them killed and the other half got deported after a raid.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

You can always just set your shitty guys to selling brownies or getting donations. Brownies may just get em arrested and out of your hair neways. if you use them enough even shitty guys will get pretty good with levels. One game I had a crack team of hookers and hippies and still did ok.

The satire in this game is horrible but the gameplay is actually pretty well done once you get good with the menus.

Hints for beginners: Fighting is really bad. Once you start killing cops the raids will keep comin until you're boned. The charismatic team can recruit easily and install sleepers easier without getting arrested. Get a second hideout ASAP and keep some of your guys working out of there. That way if you get raided you're not hosed.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    props for the actual references to dwarf fortress =p

"Ariel Rudkin will bake and sell special adult brownies that open magical shimmering doorways to the adamantium pits."

I am highly amused so far.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    played this sucker a little more. in the end, I feel toward it like I do toward DF - really neat and amusing with a lot of depth, but way too tedious and slow-moving in practice, and really frustrating to have hours of work thrashed by one slip-up.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've just played this game for half an hour before deciding that yet again, I am not cut out for ASCII games.

Trevor on
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This game is hilarious and great. Although it is quite hard. Don't get too attached to your squad members if they are committing violent actions. They usually live short lives.

Also running around naked is a good way to get shot by the cops. Who knew streaking could send law enforcement into a murderous rage? Even unarmed conservatives will take swings at naked people.

What is the best armor for fighting? I have been having good luck with trenchcoats on more clandestine missions, but they obviously don't react well to bullets.

bamjo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    my advice if you don't want the game to end prematurely, is never take your leader on any dangerous missions. Hell, last game I got killed by security guards just for walking around an apartment complex (maybe it was because I was behind locked doors)...

send your leader to recruit in public places and have OTHER people do the dangerous stuff.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How do I recruit people?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    4 main ways. 1. Just talk to them, get them to come over to your place, and then talk to them until you get the message that they are willing to fight for the liberal cause. 2. Go to the garment factory (perhaps other places as well but I have not found them) and liberate the illegal immigrants there. 3. Seduce them and make them your love slave. or 4. Kidnap them and convince them to join you.

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Do I have to steal a car in order to do that?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You only have to steal a car to get to the outskirts. The illegal immigrants are in the industrial zone and you can find people to do all the other things everywhere. The best place to find liberal people is the vegan juice bar or whatever it is called in the university district.

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    How do I go places? Go forth and stop evil is blocked out.

Couscous on