As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Universe Online] Going free-to-play in October

• Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There are actual gameplay videos available. Why would you look at a trailer for that?

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There are (or were, I haven't looked lately) some good ones on gametrailers.com. I especially liked the 3 part dev one where they made the acrobat, sword using chick and went around the city and did a mission or two.

vamen on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Um....Yeah, I guess it looks ok? It honestly looks like Champions Online. With a terrible voiceover to boot.
    If the combat is as fun as it is on CO that can only be a good thing.
    And CO has plenty of cheesy voiceovers of its own. :P

Glal on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The questions asked during the showing with the Batman wannabe character were pretty funny. All very typical, normal things you'd think of...and the developers either avoided them or answered them all negatively.

No PC-PS3 players can't play together. No, $15 instead of $10. No, we won't show you character creation. No, we can't tell you how many levels there are. No, we won't tell you what all the microtransactions Sony is stacking on top of the monthly fee are for.

Unless they put up a demo, this is probably something that would be safer to wait and see on...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There are actual gameplay videos available. Why would you look at a trailer for that?
    A genuinely mistake on my behalf, my apologies. I just found the lack of videos in this thread odd, so hey.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    gamescom trailer

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30912

:(

It looks a lot like CoH. More than CO IMO. Just with a bit of DC flair. But the generic player heroes look like they were made with the CoH hero builder, not even the cool CO one. All the powers/animations look pretty canned too.

Meh. I should have known not to get too excited from the CG trailer. Whoever made that should make a movie though.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There is one thing in that video that simply looks awesome. One of the guys (good or bad, I don't know, it was impossible to tell) gets put in a glowing bubble, then the bubble make picks said bubble up and chucks it off of a building. I wanna do that.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, that was definitely the high point of the video.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    e2dbe2db Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Batman doing the epic ground pound was one of the many low points.

e2db on
    parobsig.jpg
  • Options
    Kaiser4149Kaiser4149 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    There is one thing in that video that simply looks awesome. One of the guys (good or bad, I don't know, it was impossible to tell) gets put in a glowing bubble, then the bubble make picks said bubble up and chucks it off of a building. I wanna do that.

I'd say right behind that was the guy flying up, and flinging a helicopter at the combatants on the roof.

Kaiser4149 on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    man those custom heroes look like cheap throwaway villains. player created stuff will be better obviously but still

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wonder if they're contractually not allowed to make anything that looks cooler than DC's designs.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I was hoping to see wonder womans new design

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Bigger titties or biggest titties?

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    Bigger titties or biggest titties?

wonder-woman-redesign-by-jim-lee1.jpg?w=318&h=1023

pants are definitely a plus

not a fan of them retconning her story though

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's a pretty cool costume. I approve of pants. Also, comic book characters seem to have their past retconned twice a week.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah that's actually really tasteful and impressive. I like it a lot.

And Glal is right, comic book characters are retconned so often that 99% of them are entirely unrecognizable from not only their original versions, but any dozen of the successors. If you care about comics you learned to not care about retconning a long time ago, else you become an angsty comic nerd who never stops bitching about the thing you claim to love.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    its more like changing batman's origin story to being his parents didn't get killed and he was trained by armadillos. but whatever, its not like I read any WW comics

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What did they change?

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    island of amazons destroyed, diana taken in by some cult and raised there. something like that.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    supposed to all be in wonder woman #600

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Its an alternate timeline. They aren't retconning anything. Basically she's trapped in a reality where Paradise Island was destroyed. She's trying to figure out what's wrong with the way things are and get them back to how they should be.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    When you know you will have to retcon your retcon, alternate universe to the rescue!

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The funny thing is the DC universe actually has numbered alternate universes to account for all this shit. I'm not sure if it's a better solution but Marvel does more "kill everone all at once except one dude who goes back and time and fucks his mom so the present is different and nothing ever happened! new world!"

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    MoistMoist Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Marvel has numbered universes too, all the Marvel Zombies shit takes place in a alternate universe, same with Marvel 1602. Just ask the watchers about it. Damn easy way to solve retcon problems.

Moist on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    hey nerds

stop nerding up this nerd thread

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't give a hoot about the lore of comics. Still looking for more info about this game, if it's a CO with more content or a CoH without 6,5 years of background and old grahpics I'd be happy. If it's WoW with Superman I'd be less interested. Gief info!

(Exception being Spirou & Fantasio, but that's because the new artists went silly and tried to take stuff more serious and self-aware than any of the previous authors.)

Aldo on
  • Options
    AkootAkoot Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The last few pages have been so negative. Are people really complaining about the ridiculousness of comic book story lines?

I'm still interested in this game, my biggest worry is the cost and all of this micro-transaction talk. Hopefully they will be purely cosmetic and/or just services such as character re-customisation as in WoW. I'm really trying to wait for more information before I start making snap judgements.

Akoot on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Akoot wrote: »
    The last few pages have been so negative. Are people really complaining about the ridiculousness of comic book story lines?

Well, they are ridiculous, so I don't see why people wouldn't be complaining about it.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yes, but it is also ridiculous that people are only now realising this.

The stories are about on par with your average video game storyline in my opinion. Which is fine considering we're talking about one.

Akoot on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Akoot wrote: »
    Yes, but it is also ridiculous that people are only now realising this.

The stories are about on par with your average video game storyline in my opinion. Which is fine considering we're talking about one.

Probably not worth arguing the point Akoot, the MMO forums are a very bitter, negative and cynical place for the most part especially at the moment as there hasn't been a new game for people to play in a while.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, thanksfor that. Complaining is fun for people I suppose.

It just gets to me a little that people are complaining about farfetched characters in a Lantern story. It's pretty well known for strange (sometimes familiar) alien lanterns.

I think the blood-spewing cat haters play too much Dwarf Fortress.

Akoot on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wouldn't be surprised :)

If it makes you feel any better, it's something that is in no way just limited to this thread.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Every character in DC has always seemed to have a different 'feel' to me. Batman stories are very different than Superman ones for instance.

And I can't speak for others, but Lantern ones were always the worst to me. I generally like the rest though.

Astale on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Astale wrote: »
    Every character in DC has always seemed to have a different 'feel' to me. Batman stories are very different than Superman ones for instance.

And I can't speak for others, but Lantern ones were always the worst to me. I generally like the rest though.

Green Lantern is better then either Batman or Superman.

Just not Hal Jordan's Green Lantern.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sentry wrote: »

opinions, m i rite people?

batman stories have always been my favorite

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Samm1chSamm1ch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Guy Gardner fan?

Samm1ch on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Samm1ch wrote: »

Guy Gardner fan?

Actually I like Guy and Kyle. I'm just not a huge Hal "the Fist" Jordan fan

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay. Real question.

Who is getting the PS3 of this? Because I like me some superheroes and my PC sucks. Lets play this thing.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Seeing as I don't own a ps3 I'm going PC with this. And I will say, I think the worst decision, be it within their power or feasibly out of their hands, was to not allow PS3 and PC players to play together.

KurnDerak on
This discussion has been closed.