As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recruiting for a phalla D&D 3.5 (semi)Oldschool adventure!

TheGreatestAliasEverTheGreatestAliasEver Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Critical Failures
Hey everyone. I've been running a 3.5 campaign with some local pals and every damn session I always thought of a few guys on here and said "I wonder what THEY'D do?"

It -FINALLY- dawned on me that I can just run the thing on here and find out :P

Anyway, it's using the 3.5 ruleset for D&D- I don't really have any supplements except Complete Divine and Complete Mage, so all those crazy special classes are out. This is a guild, old fassioned, core rules setup. If you're interested, send me a mail on here and I'll let you know if you're in- Only 4 or 5 spots, so if you want in, answer quickly before the spot gets yoinked!

If you wanna start rolling your character BEFORE you know if you're in, then just follow the standard stuff- you're starting at level 1, with all the basic, straight-out-of-book stuff. I'll post a spoilerized mini background on the campaign here.
The boat sways slowly back and forth, as the men and women aboard it sleep quietly and peacefully. The large cargo ship had left port maybe a week ago, and was going strong. It's destination: The small kingdom known as "Cretonia"; the nation encompassed little of the actual landmass it was on, but it's staggeringly powerful fishing economy and surprisingly robust military has attracted the attention and respect (As well as jealousy, in some cases) of the nations 'round the globe.

Aboard this vessel were four or five individuals, who knew they were skilled but knew not what lie ahead. For these individuals, travelling to the tiny kingdom for their own reasons, would end up becoming vital figures in the history of the booming civilization.

And as the individuals slept in their various quarters, amidst the faceless hundreds of a cargo-ship-turned-passenger-transport, the boat gently rocking back and forth, a great and terrible evil stirred in the towering Volcano known as Sinmist Mountain

I need, from you if you're playing:

A. Your character sheet... obviously.
B. A short description that explains what your reason for being on the ship is
C. A short biography of your character and their personality (Quirks, major history points, etc.)

After all that, we should be good to go!

TheGreatestAliasEver on

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This was a confusing title... it's not at Phalla at all :P

It's nice to see some 3.5 stuff going on though--I just recently started playing with some friends (I had never played any D&D before) and am quite enjoying it. I took over the character of someone else, so have no clue about building a new one, but I may just check out the Handbook I got last week and see what's what.

I'm not sure if I'm interested in playing online just yet, but either way, it will be fun to watch if it gets going.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Mayhaps I misunderstood the meaning of Phalla.... Being as though it's a PA only term, i can't find any actual definitions no the tubes. Anyway, thanks for at least expressing interest ;D You're more then Welcome to join if you decide you wish to.

Edit: Fix'd a bad typo >.>

TheGreatestAliasEver on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd be tempted to break out the cheese, but I just can't get into 3E anymore. :(

Good luck with the game though.

Edit: phallas are the online version of mafia games.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I find 3 and 3.5 E better then 4E. I feel like they took away from the ROLEPLAYING and just made it a combat board game with roleplaying elements. It's almost like they tried to make the game resemble modern MMO's- which is funny, because the only reason MMO's are so combat based in the first place is because it's impossible to digitize the sheer amount of OPTIONS and roleplaying a pen and paper can provide.

It's like they simply are trying to buff their mini sales and turn it into a boardgame. That doesn't sit right with me.

TheGreatestAliasEver on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I find 3 and 3.5 E better then 4E. I feel like they took away from the ROLEPLAYING and just made it a combat board game with roleplaying elements. It's almost like they tried to make the game resemble modern MMO's- which is funny, because the only reason MMO's are so combat based in the first place is because it's impossible to digitize the sheer amount of OPTIONS and roleplaying a pen and paper can provide.

It's like they simply are trying to buff their mini sales and turn it into a boardgame. That doesn't sit right with me.

This isn't really on topic, but have you played 4E yet? With good players? If not, I suggest you give it a chance before automatically condemning it. Besides, roleplaying has always been more dependent on a good storyteller and good company moreso than the ruleset. And don't act like 3E turns its back on miniature use.

delroland on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Phalla is the PA forum's version of Mafia, the party game where you need to kill all the mafia members among you before they kill you.

You probably want to post how your game would be played, be it Play-By-Post, over IRC, using Maptools, or in another fashion, as well as when you want to host it.

Edit: From your infraction, it seems you really need to figure out how this place works.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    A good topic name would be:

[Recruit On!] D&D3.5 - Oldschool Fun, PbP/IRC/(whatever you are using)
    Plutonium wrote: »
    Edit: From your infraction, it seems you really need to figure out how this place works.

Benefit of the doubt. :)

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Plutonium wrote: »
    From your infraction, it seems you really need to figure out how this place works.

The Critical Failure section i'm pretty alright with. The infraction was from my stupidity on the Art forum- I misread the rules and posted a traced picture (which I clearly said was such) as the initial post to start a thread--- I didn't realize that it had to be a hand-drawn, completely original work. I'm fine with that anyway, but my scanner was dead at the moment **Shrug**

In any case, the new thread is up.

TheGreatestAliasEver on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    delroland wrote: »

This isn't really on topic, but have you played 4E yet? With good players? If not, I suggest you give it a chance before automatically condemning it. Besides, roleplaying has always been more dependent on a good storyteller and good company moreso than the ruleset. And don't act like 3E turns its back on miniature use.

D&D has always been a combat board game with roleplay elements (why else would it use hitpoints, level progression, and make every class a combat class?), they just forgot that was its strength as it became the default RPG and lost focus on that playstyle, espectially with selling D20 as a 'do anything' system. My main style is character/setting exploration, so after deriding D&D for years I read up on 4th's changes and some PbP games, and played an intro game.

I had a lot of fun with it. Its found and greatly built upon the game's strengths (especially tactical options) as well as given actual room to develop in useful non-combat areas. If I wanted to delve into the details of living as an elf swashbuckler in the romantisized middle ages, I'd look for something not D20 based.

Anyway, Alias should check the CF Phalla Signup thread for info on that style of 'whodunnit' parlor game, and in the meantime add details to the format and style he wants to run his RPG adventure. Even straight-up pbp can vary in tools used, frequency of play, post format, RP style, GM-player responsibilities, et cetera. Usually a paragraph will sum it up, but you'll want to make sure you're advertising for the right crowd (especially when you're still comparing it to a phalla/mafia :P).

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif