As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Making a sauce out of marinade

Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry!Owl York CityRegistered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I took the steak marinade I used for tonight's barbecue and struck with inspiration, poured it into a pot after putting the steaks down on the grill.

I turned the temp up high, the food's all sitting under supervision as it cooks. What I'm wondering is when the marinade will be safe to consume, if at all. If it isn't going to work out to make a tasty delicious sauce, I'll just toss the stuff out like I would have anyway, but if it is, is there anything I really have to do beyond heating it through and letting it thicken a bit?

Edit: So it got thick after I set the temp on high, I stirred it for a while, and it's looking delicious. I just boiled it and as such I would think any nasty bacteria would be dead. Before I give myself E. coli in a final delicious dinner; any danger here?

Rear Admiral Choco on

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As long as it was up to boiling for a bit of time you should be fine. Above around 155-160 most bacteria/etc don't survive in the meat.

Daenris on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Daenris wrote: »
    As long as it was up to boiling for a bit of time you should be fine. Above around 155-160 most bacteria/etc don't survive in the meat.

Alright. Any particular amount of time? I'd say it was on for about 10 minutes.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

The sauce was boiling for 10 minutes?
    That would definitely qualify as more than enough time in my book.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Kivutar wrote: »

The sauce was boiling for 10 minutes?
    That would definitely qualify as more than enough time in my book.

Good to know!

It formed a thick sauce, about the consistency of HP sauce.

It was even better than it looked, so I will be sure to make it more often.

I guess this is a lock, then?

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/poison.html Not all food pathogens can be killed by heat. Also some are able to withstand higher than normal heats.

I was told in culinary school to NEVER-EVER-FUCKING-EVER do this. Not because it will end the world if you do or everyone will die.

But because there is a chance that someone will become very ill and you will get your ass sued.

Personally, I wouldn't do it just because of the risk involved and I mostly cook for my grandfather and would be fearful of his health if he became ill with something.

But in most people it will probably not affect them, and if it does it probably will not be beyond an upset stomach.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    :\

That seems highly counter-intuitive starmanbrand.

If I'm cooking food, and I separately cook the blood and sauce associated from the other food I cooked I've introduced no new elements at all.

ie;

If there was a temperature resistant pathogen in the cow blood, that steak is still going on the table.

(As someone who has grown up with a french family whose father's entire career has been in food service, I can say with some authority that leftover blood from a steak, with whatever sauce, plus some onions slowly sauteed in olive oil with some red wine throw in can make the most amazing steak sauce ever.)

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I was thinking something like that, but I wanted to be sure.

I mean, if the meat is fine, why wouldn't the blood be?

As long as it's safe, I don't think I'll ever be using a bottled steak sauce again. That was tasty. No ill effects so far, either. :P

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That was tasty. No ill effects so far, either. :P
    Sweet, glad to hear it.
    I'll have to try making it myself sometime, sounds like it's worth it.

Kivutar on