-

s_86s_86 Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
---

s_86 on

• Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    At the local ski hill, they mow the not-so-steep hills with a snow groomer with a rotary blade on the back.

Shitty job.

Alpine on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd imagine something like this:
    cm_gm_580d_s_lg.jpg

I'm also curious, why do you want to know?

see317 on
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Goats.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    They may very well use goats. However they probably use weed-whackers of some sort. Is it climbable without using your hands?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Some golf courses use these hovercraft/weedwhacker/lawn mower things on hills, your mountain might use the same I guess.

Neaden on
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm no geographer, but wouldn't a 6 story high "object" be classified as a hill? I believe I remember reading somewhere that the hill/mountain in question has to be about 2000 ft high or something to qualify as a mountain.

Are you sure they mow the grass? Usually people will just let that stuff grow.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The associated website says that this thing can mow slopes of up to 40 degrees.

superslopemaster.jpgsuperslopemaster01.gif

I'm guessing something like it can handle most any slope actually worth mowing.

Edit: Neat fact, the chair on that thing swivels to remain upright at all times. I bet slope mowing buffs get off on that sort of thing.
    Fuck, now I want one

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm no geographer, but wouldn't a 6 story high "object" be classified as a hill? I believe I remember reading somewhere that the hill/mountain in question has to be about 2000 ft high or something to qualify as a mountain.

Not high.

Above sea level. Big difference, since if you're someplace that is, say, 1950 feet above sea level, a 50 foot tall hill would be a mountain.

Khavall on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

Not high.

Above sea level. Big difference, since if you're someplace that is, say, 1950 feet above sea level, a 50 foot tall hill would be a mountain.

THat's... that's pretty silly.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

Not high.

Thats not true. Nobody with a brain would call a 50 foot hill a mountian.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    When I went down to Nova Scotia we went to see a fort, it had extremely steep sloping grass embankments to protect against cannon fire and various troop/cavalry charges. They mowed the embankments with push mowers; a long loop of rope was attached at the back supports where the handle used to be. Gravity would do the work, they would guide it left or right by pulling on one rope or the other. When it reached the bottom they'd bring it over a bit then walk down the other side of the embankment, pulling the mower up.

Maybe it's something like that for your "mountain".

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is the OP 'bouts ta shave a colossus?

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    They mowed the embankments with push mowers; a long loop of rope was attached at the back supports where the handle used to be. Gravity would do the work, they would guide it left or right by pulling on one rope or the other. When it reached the bottom they'd bring it over a bit then walk down the other side of the embankment, pulling the mower up.

Yep, I've seen the same, but with electric mowers.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    The associated website says that this thing can mow slopes of up to 40 degrees.

superslopemaster.jpgsuperslopemaster01.gif

I'm guessing something like it can handle most any slope actually worth mowing.

Edit: Neat fact, the chair on that thing swivels to remain upright at all times. I bet slope mowing buffs get off on that sort of thing.
    Fuck, now I want one

I used to work on a model similar to those. They used only one huge wheel in front and back, that would turn up to 90 degrees. They will stay on a slope to steep to climb. They use mercury switches(Just like in Leathal Weapon:P) to keep the operator level. There is also a toggle to rock the angle of the unit.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    CodeWhiteCodeWhite Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ive actually see backhoe tractors with a mower attatched to the boom in the back. The boom is raised and used to cut the grass in the high places.

CodeWhite on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    When I went down to Nova Scotia we went to see a fort, it had extremely steep sloping grass embankments to protect against cannon fire and various troop/cavalry charges. They mowed the embankments with push mowers; a long loop of rope was attached at the back supports where the handle used to be. Gravity would do the work, they would guide it left or right by pulling on one rope or the other. When it reached the bottom they'd bring it over a bit then walk down the other side of the embankment, pulling the mower up.

Yeah, I've seen this too. Low-tech, but effective.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I recall my uncle trying to use an average ride on lawnmower on a very, very steep river embankement

he now has half the fingers and legs he started with

Davoid on
    rqv6.png