As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

sending large files through email

schnitzelschnitzel Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
i need to send a fairly large file through an email. i've never done this before, and i am wondering what program is good for this. i'm looking at Pando right now. it's free, apparently. anyone have any advice on this program or any others?

schnitzel on

• Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you're trying to send it through free email services, you may have problems with size limits. Otherwise, there should be no reason you could not realistically send it, although it probably still would be in your best interest to post it to an FTP or on a file hosting service (Rapidshare etc.) and give whoever needs it the link.

If this is an extremely large file (say maybe getting near a GB or so, or above) than I almost want to say that you should just burn it to DVD and send it by mail. Not that there aren't ways to send huge files over the internet, it's just not easy to do it for free.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah. How big is the file you need to send?

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    And a note as a corp admin, don't be breaking up an oversized file to get by a company size limit on the server. If this is the case, when your IT dept catches it (and they will) there'll be hell to pay.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You can go to yousendit.com and do it that way if the file is less than 100MB. You can also just sign up for a free trial if the file is <2GB.

Ataxrxes on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd just upload it to mediafire or rapidshare or megaupload or the dozens of other free hosting services. If it's sensitive info, you can password protect it or not make it a public file (this option depends on the host you use). If it's only a few MB, most email can handle it. I think Gmail lets you send 10-20MB files.

KVW on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm gonna second yousendit.com. It's super easy and super quick, even on my absolutely terribly connection both downloading and uploading are a breeze.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png