As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Level 20's on] - Guys don't flirt with my sister please - Guild Wars

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    That would be nice, but it will have to be a bit later.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    Havok417Havok417 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I haven't touched Guild Wars since '06 but I found my old copy and installed it on my new laptop.I got rid of some old characters that I had little interest in,and have started over.I have a Level 9 W/Mo in Post that I haven't done any story quests with,and a Monk Level 7 that I'm using to go for Legendary Defender of Ascalon.

I'm in a Guild now that I'm not too active in,but I'd love to join one associated with PA and would love the company.Do I need to send a Whisper to someone online for the Inv or do I await your approval?

Also,I only have Prophecies for the time being,but I'm working on getting the other expansions.

Hit up my characters either Skye Lightcaller(Mo) or Cairn Steelforge(W/Mo).

Havok417 on
  • Options
    MaouMaou Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Havok417 wrote: »
    I haven't touched Guild Wars since '06 but I found my old copy and installed it on my new laptop.I got rid of some old characters that I had little interest in,and have started over.I have a Level 9 W/Mo in Post that I haven't done any story quests with,and a Monk Level 7 that I'm using to go for Legendary Defender of Ascalon.

I'm in a Guild now that I'm not too active in,but I'd love to join one associated with PA and would love the company.Do I need to send a Whisper to someone online for the Inv or do I await your approval?

Also,I only have Prophecies for the time being,but I'm working on getting the other expansions.

You should start by getting Eye of the North so you can get Heroes to solo the whole game.

Maou on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Maou wrote: »
    You should start by getting Eye of the North so you can get Heroes to solo the whole game.
    Totally working on that,but not having a job at the moment and having an angry fiance breathing down my neck doesn't lend itself to new purchases.

>_>

Havok417 on
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

If you want to join KCHS (the PA guild), I'll shoot you an invite later tonight (assuming someone hasn't already gotten you). You'd have to make sure you were guildless for me to invite - or I can just PM you later if you're on and work it out then.

Geod on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Geod wrote: »

If you want to join KCHS (the PA guild), I'll shoot you an invite later tonight (assuming someone hasn't already gotten you). You'd have to make sure you were guildless for me to invite - or I can just PM you later if you're on and work it out then.

Going guildless now if you happen to be on.

Havok417 on
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Geod wrote: »

Going guildless now if you happen to be on.

Cool, think Riv got you in :)

Geod on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah,Riv was a big help with my mission I did tonight.

Havok417 on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hear that? Thats me in africa with a cold I picked up on my way through france. I am wondering why I am wearing my fresh Kurzick armor and wondering why it isn't being tossed up on "resilience."

edit: NVM, I just realized I wasted 10 plat to get all the fixings for regular Kurzick armor. Too much joy from beating Oola's lab made me lighted headed. Going to sleep now.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, Elite Kurzic is quite expensive.

I'm nearly there to having mine, only need some ink.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm in africa, playing through the Nightfall campaign, theres....something about this...

edit: wow, guild wars' servers are suddenly unresponsive. I dunno what agrevates me more, that I missed out on getting to the second level of the Sepulchre of Dragrimmar or that all that gold/materials/reputation points could be lost.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I find it necessary to resurrect this thread with discussion of Necromancers, and how they are really, really awesome. I just got both Spiteful Spirit and Jagged Bones, and I'm really enjoying rocking them out on my heroes. Olias is pretty dope. It makes me sad that I chose Margrid the Sly over Master of Whispers on my Assassin. Can't wait to finish the Nightfall campaign and pick him up.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Why do anything but have 3 Necro heroes? I do not understand this.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    REG Rysk wrote: »

Discord Way Team Build.
    Necro playstyle is pretty limited.
    It's either
    1) MM
    2) Bip
    3) SoS

Maou on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Think about this as though you were someone who only started playing this game like 2 months ago. I'm still really excited about playing a game where interrupting spells is something you can (and might want to) do outside PvP, where synergy between team members can be about more than just making sure you have all the buffs covered, and where you don't have to team up with random slobs just to take care of a dungeon.

Still, 3 Necros might be nice.

As a sidenote, anyone have any advice for Hell's Precipice?

Alecthar on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Rust and daze. Bleh, Prophecies enemy design.

Xagar on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alec if you still need help with Hell's Precipice drop me a line next time you see me on

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    LionLion Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Spirit builds can be superior in areas where corpses aren't prominent.

Also, people looking to do the Survivor title should rush to Snowball Dominance with a Necro hero.

Only 287 wins in SD if you're level 10 to be a Legendary Survivor.

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    you don't need corpses if you're running the Discord trifecta

they're handy sure

but you can always replace the single corpse spell with something else, depending on the secondary or the build

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    JenosavelJenosavel Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dischord's great, but it either succeeds or fails and is never much in between. If the foes have good ways to deal with either hexes or conditions, Dischord starts to fall pretty flat.

I'm much more fond of taking 2 spirit rits and one MM necro (x2 if you've got another player along) these days. Spirits are great any time and anywhere, and an Aura of the Lich MM can make due with surprisingly few corpses.

Jenosavel on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Who's doing the healing in a group like that, Jeno? Just use Henchies to heal?

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    You can have one of the Discord necros bring along a couple of heal spells and Life with a Rt secondary, then a dedicated healer hench will do the trick not too badly.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Rits do a great job at healing. Certain spells, like Spirit Light, are very effective, and I love the Restoration spirit to give a +3 health regen to everyone. There is even a spell to deal with conditions, though - I think - Rits have no way to deal with hexes.

How do you use Life on a hero? Just fire and forget, or can you give the hero a sprit killer spell and they use it for a targeted heal spike?

ButeoRegalis on
    In GW: Matt Argul
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Jenosavel wrote: »
    Dischord's great, but it either succeeds or fails and is never much in between. If the foes have good ways to deal with either hexes or conditions, Dischord starts to fall pretty flat.

I'm much more fond of taking 2 spirit rits and one MM necro (x2 if you've got another player along) these days. Spirits are great any time and anywhere, and an Aura of the Lich MM can make due with surprisingly few corpses.

Really? I've never had an issue with Discord failing.

Quite frankly if you have one Discord Rit Secondary with full Resto + Shambling Horror, the second Hex Management and Prot spells... and the third going full Hex, you're never going to have a problem.

The Resto bar would be: Spirit Light, Mend Body and Soul, Weapon of Warding, Recuperation/Life/Recovery, PwK, Discord, Shambling Horror, Optional

The latter two bars also have Shambling Horror, of course.

You can tack on a Healer henchie and you're basically sitting pretty.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Discord doesn't do anything if the enemy doesn't have either a hex or a condition. Sometimes you find groups with really good hex or condition removal (though shambling makes it pretty much only hex removal you have to worry about). Also large waves of enemies can slow Discord down since it's only single target damage. Minions again help with this but that's a virtue of minions builds rather than Discord itself.
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Who's doing the healing in a group like that, Jeno? Just use Henchies to heal?

I've been going with an Aura of the Lich + Masochism minion master that has the three vital prot spells as well as some restoration on the ritualists. With enough damage going around you hardly notice a slightly weaker healing force since you just burn through enemies.

Spirits are a great source of both healing, damage mitigation (enemies spread their damage out same as with minions), and damage dealing, especially since Painful Bond is an AoE hex. Also the fact that prot and healing spirits will effect allies as well as party members makes them excellent for stretching your minion supply and rescuing pesky story-NPCs that try to kill themselves.

Depending on the area I sometimes mix a mesmer in... in general these are the hero builds I'm most fond of lately:
    Ghostly Might Rit OACjAyhDJPO7z2306FtzcOzkLA
    SoS Rit OACjEyiM5MXzyZ1EjxMlmTuhJA
    Resto Rit OACjEyiJZSpTTOSTMTciVPUbXMA
    N/Mo Minion Master OANDUshvSyBVBoBKgbhBE1D3VA (usually x2, one on each player)
    Panic Mesmer OQlDApwTO0gpnMoJMEICZA5N

Occassionally swap in:
    Signet Mesmer OQlDAsMDP/g8spjrh8l3PAeK
    Twisting Shelter Rit OACjAyhDJPYTnp17xFOhmFsLGA

They certainly feel less situationally dependent than Discord did. At least this way I spend less time in town setting up bars and instead just slot up my heroes and go.

I was really hooked on Discord for a while though. It's not a bad team build by any means.

Jenosavel on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    see that's why you go with AoE hexes and conditions

like burning, Jagged Minions for bleeding, and hexes like Suffering, Reckless Haste, and Painful Bond

unless an enemy has Martyr or Expel Hexes, there is still going to be a target that you can spike

oh and don't forget, it's a hex OR enchantment, too

Peace and Harmony will only save one dude for 12 seconds, during which time Discord can be hit 4-5 times on a single target

I see your point, but I'm currently a bit addicted to Discord... though I will swap it out for a Jagged Minion Master when needed (I don't like Aura because the heroes are pretty dumb with it)

I will nick some of those builds though, cheers!

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I tried doing Discordway once. It was so mind numbingly boring.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I definitely won't argue that its addicting. There was a time when I wouldn't use any build but Discord. I think what finally broke me free was realizing I could watch entire groups' health bars melt off rather than watching them drop one by one. Now I'm addicted to Ritualists, you could say.

Speaking of which, the next new hero we're going to get is probably going to be an assassin. I would have really like a third ritualist. Although if they could (War in Kryta / Hearts of the North spoiler)
    morph Thackeray from a ranger into a paragon just to fill in a third paragon on the hero roster, then they could probably morph Miku from an assassin into a ritualist if they really wanted to.
    I'm just doubting if they'd want to. We could get another rit, but I'm sort of betting on assassin.

If I recall, the only classes we have just 2 heroes of are ritualist, assassin, and dervish.

Jenosavel on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I definitely won't argue that its addicting. There was a time when I wouldn't use any build but Discord. I think what finally broke me free was realizing I could watch entire groups' health bars melt off rather than watching them drop one by one. Now I'm addicted to Ritualists, you could say.

Speaking of which, the next new hero we're going to get is probably going to be an assassin. I would have really like a third ritualist. Although if they could (War in Kryta / Hearts of the North spoiler)
    morph Thackeray from a ranger into a paragon just to fill in a third paragon on the hero roster, then they could probably morph Miku from an assassin into a ritualist if they really wanted to.
    I'm just doubting if they'd want to. We could get another rit, but I'm sort of betting on assassin.

If I recall, the only classes we have just 2 heroes of are ritualist, assassin, and dervish.

If you count M.O.X. there are three dervishes. And who is the 3rd Mesmer?

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ah you're right. It was mesmer, not dervish... ritualist, assassin, and mesmer.

Jenosavel on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ah you're right. It was mesmer, not dervish... ritualist, assassin, and mesmer.

Well now I'm a little disappointed there isn't a hidden 3rd mesmer.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Try 4 (or 5 if you're melee) melees and a D/N Orders derv for the lulz. I play with it as an pbaoe fire ele and it is a lot more active than my usual nuking. It's also very, very effective against high-armor dudes which is fun.

Xagar on
  • Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wish snowball dominance was available past the holiday event. It gives quite a bit of cash and ebon vanguard points, and isn't terribly boring, either.
    Never thought I'd ever have to farm again, but I'm compelled to fill out the HoM.

Serious_Scrub on
  • Options
    LionLion Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I did Snowball Domination 258 times. I don't have a snowball's chance in Balthazar's realm of ever being able to enjoy it again.

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    yeah

too much Snowball Dominance

it fucks with my brain

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Agreed. It's quick and profitable, but brain crushing. The dialog is hilarious the first time. But the tenth time? The 20th? By the time you hit 200+ runs you want to shoot yourself. I've got my Vanguard title and my Survivor now, though. I don't ever have to do it again.

Jenosavel on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Okay, yeah, after run #125, I retract my statement about the boringness. It would be a lot nicer if I could spread this out over a few months instead of a few weeks. Also realized that even with the money, I also have the issue of finding the ~125 zkeys I still need for that PvP trophy in the HoM. Looking at the Great Temple of Balthazar, there are way more buyers of keys than sellers, probably since everyone is trying to hoard keys.

Serious_Scrub on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    30/50 is all you need seriously.

Maou on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    well, spent about 750k to finally get to rank 3 zaishen, and am now up to 22/50. May I never have to see another Creme Brulee or Flask of Firewater again

Serious_Scrub on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm at 26/50 now

need to get the ZKeys

or I could just make weapons since I only have ONE weapon turned in

if I get a Tormented and Oppressor weapon, along with two others, I'd be golden cuz that's 4 points right there

basically if you have one of the two types to sell (or War Supplies or Medals of Honor), consider me :3

that or teach me how to solo/duo DoA with my SoS

Vivixenne on
This discussion has been closed.