As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Traffic school denied, now what?

Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I really can't afford a first speeding ticket incident on my record, as my car insurance rates are already pretty damn high.

Backstory: back in April, I got a speeding ticket, and I decided to do a trial by declaration. In that same letter to the Santa Cruz court, I paid the $177, and at the end of the letter, I also requested traffic school, just in case. Fast forward like three months of them "reviewing" the case, and I just got a letter saying that it's been denied. If I call them on Monday, what is the likelihood that they will decide to grant me traffic school?

9PZnq.png
Brodo Faggins on

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Do you know how many points you get for a speeding ticket?

Because it might be less than an insurance rate increase.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Could you clarify what exactly the trial by declaration entails? If you mean that you submitted your defense and a not guilty plea by mail, then it's highly likely that you are no longer entitled to traffic school. The couple times I've had moving violations, fighting the ticket automatically voids your applicability to traffic school.

Also, I'm not to sure what JebusUD is talking about. Depending on the seriousness of your speeding ticket, you get 1 or more points on your driving record, which directly translates into insurance rate increases. Even 1 point will increase your rates.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I submitted a not guilty plea by mail (since I'm in LA now and Santa Cruz is 300 miles away), but in that same letter, I included a plea for traffic school just in case. Goddamnit, I'm fucked. Is it worthwhile to call them on Monday and try to appeal this?

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    wait, you said in one paragraph "I absolutely did NOT speed, this ticket is bogus." then in the next said "Ok, I was speeding, can I has traffic school please?"

what did you expect them to say? And depending on your insurance, they pull your traffic records ONCE when they issue the insurance, so future tickets should not matter (Allstate ?) others constantly check

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    And depending on your insurance, they pull your traffic records ONCE when they issue the insurance, so future tickets should not matter (Allstate ?) others constantly check

Most insurance companies check your record every time your policy needs to be renewed (usually every 3 or 6 months). I've never heard of an insurer that never checks your record again after you sign with them.

Also, there may be a small chance that by appearing in person you can change your plea to guilty and request traffic school. In the past I've read guides on fighting tickets that recommended doing the trial by mail first as you can often then retry your case in person, but this could have changed or be different depending on the county. I'm also not sure whether you can get a second chance at traffic school or whether that option is still gone assuming you can get a second trial.

The best thing to do would be to call the courthouse on Monday and try and get ahold of a clerk to ask what your options are.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, looks like I'll be doing that on Monday. Also, I have Triple A insurance, if that would provide any more helpful info (seriously you guys have been a huge help)

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Midshipman wrote: »
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    And depending on your insurance, they pull your traffic records ONCE when they issue the insurance, so future tickets should not matter (Allstate ?) others constantly check

Most insurance companies check your record every time your policy needs to be renewed (usually every 3 or 6 months). I've never heard of an insurer that never checks your record again after you sign with them.

Also, there may be a small chance that by appearing in person you can change your plea to guilty and request traffic school. In the past I've read guides on fighting tickets that recommended doing the trial by mail first as you can often then retry your case in person, but this could have changed or be different depending on the county. I'm also not sure whether you can get a second chance at traffic school or whether that option is still gone assuming you can get a second trial.

The best thing to do would be to call the courthouse on Monday and try and get ahold of a clerk to ask what your options are.

I was specifically told that If I was an existing Allstate customer in good standing, that at the 6 month period that my insurance was to be renewed, its pretty much a 'hand wave' and I automatically get insurance again.. especially if I was accident free and pay on time. They DO check, but every 2 years or so.

This was 3-4 years ago, so, this was always subject to change

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Alright, so my ONLY option is to write a letter and try and appeal to the commissioner's good side. Sigh, this sounds like it has a 0% chance of success.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png