As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

"What is the event you'll be attending?"

Talse MiyemeTalse Miyeme Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in PAX Archive
So I've bought my pass and arranged housing, but i didn't arrange for travel until i squared it away with my lab instructor that I was going to miss out, and now with this email i feel like i have no answer that will not make me seem like a total wanker
Each student can potentially make up one lab; the last week of the semester will be scheduled for this purpose. The decision if a lab can be made up depends on what the situation is. Sickness and emergencies are typically the reasons for missing labs. The student emails me about the situation and fills out a form at the Chemistry Center afterwards. What is the event you'll be attending?

I feel gaming festival would fall under the category of "sucks to be you, zeroesville, population: you!"

Talse Miyeme on

• skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd go with "previously arranged and paid for travel plans of a personal nature" followed by lots of sucking up. Also, going to talk to him in person will likely have a better result than responding in email. Much harder to say no to someone in person.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, they already know it's an event, not a "real problem" like an illness or emergency, and nonetheless have not precluded it, so I wouldn't get all doom and gloom without cause.

If anything I would mention that it's the largest game-related exposition in the Western Hemisphere, covering virtually all forms of the past, present and future of both the industry and the culture of its consumers. That should at least convey the unique importance of the event.

Edit: I agree with skarsol that you should try to talk about it in person, but I disagree that you should be vague.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    Vacation?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I've bought my pass and arranged housing, but i didn't arrange for travel until i squared it away with my lab instructor that I was going to miss out, and now with this email i feel like i have no answer that will not make me seem like a total wanker.
    If you illustrate to him that PAX is a serious annual personal commitment, and that you are perfectly willing and capable of making the time up by utilizing the system he's already put into place for those with inferior immune systems, he shouldn't develop any unwarranted ideas about the amount of wankage you may or may not do.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Talse MiyemeTalse Miyeme Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How bout this?

While it does not qualify as an emergency it is a large festival I've already paid for and arranged housing, so backing out would be at considerable personal expense.

Talse Miyeme on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Meh, I felt bad. Deleted my post.

Now this post is not funny.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How bout this?

While it does not qualify as an emergency it is a large festival I've already paid for and arranged housing, so backing out would be at considerable personal expense.

How about: "While it does not qualify as an emergency, it is an event of primary importance that I have already dedicated my time and money to. Plans were finalized far before the class schedule was released, and backing out now would be at considerable personal expense."

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just state, "I have to be out of town for X days and will miss X lab. Can I make this up later?"

MaoChan on
    edited July 2008
    MaoChan wrote: »
    Just state, "I have to be out of town for X days and will miss X lab. Can I make this up later?"

This

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh and add a please and then thank you and you're set.

MaoChan on
  • majin23xmajin23x Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Last year I was all set to go before starting a new job working IT for the school district. It was fun trying to explain it to the Superintendent. Once I did, he said he wanted a video of it. This year it'll all old hat, and no big deal. (Course last year I missed the first day of school, this year it's the second week of school).

majin23x on
    **Still Undefeated at Jenga!**
    edited July 2008
    I miss 3 days of one class, one day of another and five days of work

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited July 2008
    It's the largest gaming festival in the western hemisphere. Musical
    performances and industry demonstrations as well as countless
    community events are some of the highlights. I got my travel
    arrangements before I scheduled my classes and it not going now would
    be at considerable personal expense. So if I could please just make up
    the lab, I'd be very grateful.

It is sent, and i really hope he lets me make it up because this class is part of my major which I would oh so like to do well in. I wonder just how detrimental an unexcused lab is for the grade...

Talse Miyeme on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

It is sent, and i really hope he lets me make it up because this class is part of my major which I would oh so like to do well in. I wonder just how detrimental an unexcused lab is for the grade...

AWKward use of passive voice in the second sentence, but otherwise looks like you did good.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited July 2008

and it not going now?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited July 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    and it not going now?
    que?

Talse Miyeme on
    edited July 2008
    those words, put next to each other, don't make any sense

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Ty1012Ty1012 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    True, but this doesn't seem to be a class on the life benefits of proper grammar. =P
    Hope it works out for ya.

Ty1012 on
This discussion has been closed.