As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why the EA hatred?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Arceus wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Neva wrote: »
    Westwood would of died anyways.

YOU SHUT THE HELL UP! :cry:
    Why are you sad, there seem to be more Command and Conquer games coming out these days than ever before. I myself am pretty excited about Red Alert 3, which looks gorgeous and awesome.

I've never really been a fan of C&C but holy shit the box art for Red Alert 3 made me want to play it.

rabox.jpg

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Westwood was an extremely sad case but Origin and Bullfrog were just criminal.
    Yet Fable 2 seems to be coming along just fine. I love Bullfrog games but how are we as consumers really worse off now? Molyneux still seems to be able to do whatever the fuck he likes, so... I don't know what games Origin made so can't comment on that.

ETA: All I'm saying is, nobody forced those companies to sell out to EA. Do you really think Molyneux is some holy saint or something who doesn't drool at hefty sums of cash?

Arceus on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    scootch wrote: »
    I like the recent direction they're taking. not just in games but in business. for example, the company making Warhammer online was renamed to EA mythic when they were bought by EA... not anymore. they're back to being called Mythic entertainment.
    Names don't say much though. You could have a typical subsidiary name like Paramount Vantage and have complete autonomy, or your very own name yet still be totally controlled by the corporate headquarters in everything you do. A name is just a name.

It's a thing of empowerment and confidence from the consumers (us) I think. Allowing studios to maintain their identity is what people were calling it when Pandemic and Bioware were taken in.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is that bear wearing armor or is it a cyborg-bear?

Henroid on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is that bear wearing armor or is it a cyborg-bear?

Maybe both!

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I like the recent direction they're taking. not just in games but in business. for example, the company making Warhammer online was renamed to EA mythic when they were bought by EA... not anymore. they're back to being called Mythic entertainment.
    Names don't say much though. You could have a typical subsidiary name like Paramount Vantage and have complete autonomy, or your very own name yet still be totally controlled by the corporate headquarters in everything you do. A name is just a name.

It's a thing of empowerment and confidence from the consumers (us) I think. Allowing studios to maintain their identity is what people were calling it when Pandemic and Bioware were taken in.
    You as a consumer really care whether it says Mythic Entertainment or EA Mythic on the box? How does that make a game better in any way?

Arceus on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

You as a consumer really care whether it says Mythic Entertainment or EA Mythic on the box? How does that make a game better in any way?

Ask Nintendo fans.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Neva wrote: »

Ask Nintendo fans.
    When was the last time you checked if a game was made by EAD1 or EAD3 or whatever the hell Nintendo calls their internal studios? And it's not like Intelligent Systems games and such started suddenly being awesome when they started sailing under the IS label, they were already great before that.

Arceus on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I dream of a day when a bunch of companies get together and swap IPs for one game

I want to see a Nintendo sonic game, an EA mario game, a sega... wait I don't want to see anything sega does

maybe a pandemic halo game

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Joe Six-Pack doesn't give a shit about who made it. He just wants a good game.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    an EA mario game
    Too late, already been done.

5193_6.jpg

Arceus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    Joe Six-Pack doesn't give a shit about who made it. He just wants a good game.
    Exactly. If PopCap games had made Shadow of the Colossus (everything being equal), would we love it any less?

Arceus on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited July 2008
    Pretty much what everyone else said, no one hates EA anymore except for the irrational.
    They skimped me $200 in pay, refused to hire me on a full time or even long term basis and continued to give me one month contract extensions every month for eight months until I quit.

irrational, huh.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    Pretty much what everyone else said, no one hates EA anymore except for the irrational.
    They skimped me $200 in pay, refused to hire me on a full time or even long term basis and continued to give me one month contract extensions every month for eight months until I quit.

irrational, huh.
    To be fair, I wouldn't hire you on a fulltime basis either since you are crazy. Can't really blame EA for looking out for themselves.

Arceus on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »

irrational, huh.

Well no, that's rational. It's also a special case. Most of us haven't been employed by EA at any point.

edit: Dang Arceus beat me and made fun of Dareth at the same time! A true renaissance man.

Renzo on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

it was more of a gesture for the developers:

quote from wired.com

"Mythic general manager Mark Jacobs explains the name change as part of EA CEO John Riccitello's plan to have each of the company's studios function as their own "city states" -- an initiative that prompted the creation of EA's current four label structure."

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Robman wrote: »
    whatever shit Blizzard polishes to a shine and stamps their logo on

You're a pretty enormous twat.

Yeah, fuck studios that put out great games and have fantastic relationships with their community, support all of their past games indefinitely and do more for the PC gaming scene than pretty much anyone except valve.

Cunt.

P.S. Nobody hates EA anymore since they stopped ruining studios and started helping to produce good games people want to play

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    "Mythic general manager Mark Jacobs explains the name change as part of EA CEO John Riccitello's plan to have each of the company's studios function as their own "city states" -- an initiative that prompted the creation of EA's current four label structure."
    If they are like city-states, they going to go to war against each other and eventually collapse under the might of invaders?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    If they are like city-states, they going to go to war against each other and eventually collapse under the might of invaders?
    This... Is... MYTHIC ENTERTAINMENT!!!

Though I'm not sure if I really wanna see Mark Jacobs wear nothing but underwear and a red cape...

Arceus on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2008

it was more of a gesture for the developers:

quote from wired.com

Kind of a pantsy move on Mythic's part. On one hand they sell out to EA for big bucks but taking on their name makes them feel dirty? Pretty hypocritical. Mind you I have no problems whatsoever with selling out, but at least be a man about it.

Opium on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    moar like EAtred.

So it's now trendy to hate Blizzard if you're a counterculture rebel outlaw?

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    moar like EAtred.

Or you don't like strategy games/dungeon crawls.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2008
    moar like EAtred.

Or you don't like strategy games/dungeon crawls.
    I have never played a Blizzard game in my life, but StarCraft II looks absolutely amazing.

Opium on
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I dunno, EA is still releasing a bunch of ripoff shovelware games!

Rock Band is just a poor man's Guitar Hero.

Madden is a non thinking man's Tecmo Bowl.

Dead Space is just Star Trek with light bloom.

Mass Effect is just Baldur's Gate in spaaace with lots of green.

Spore is just Sims mixed with black and white mixed with suck.
    Am I doing it right?

Shit, you're doing it the best

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    moar like EAtred.

No, you can only hate blizzard if you hate trees, rainbows, and the out of doors.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    I am surprised of the lack of EA dislike! What are these good games they put out to stim the masses, I must have missed it. I will admit to liking Army of Two but mostly because the fun factor of playing co-op largely depends on the person you're playing it with.

As far as I know EA still simply apply polish and rubbing to last years sports games and call it 2kX. The new ips I've played are seriously bug riddled or lacking in continuity, or just plain non-understandable.

Also the employment thing...

(edit) Also the hostile takeover thing... Good behaviour there!!

What did I miss that turned this around? New CEO seems like a nice dude though, but have I missed any great EA games that have come out, am I wrong? Examples?

And it's never trendy to hate Blizzard, it is perfectly fine to hate WoW though.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If TSR was with us right now he'd mention how this whole City States thing sounds like late Dreamcast/Early Third Party Era Sega, and how they were ahead of the curve. Possibly bringing up how smexy Peter Moore is.

Then I'd bring up how fucking well it worked out for them. :P

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Spacehog85 wrote: »

Am I doing it right?

Rock Band is only distributed by EA, publisher is MTV. (wiki)

Dead Space is not out yet, have you played it? Just look at Alone in the Dark this month for example of hyping shit. It was released and it sucked donkey genitals.

Mass Effect had MSG as publisher, EA for the PC version - which was released when the game was already made.

Spore is not out yet, have you played it?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If TSR was with us right now he'd mention how this whole City States thing sounds like late Dreamcast/Early Third Party Era Sega, and how they were ahead of the curve. Possibly bringing up how smexy Peter Moore is.

Wait, what? He was banned again? I noticed he was back for an E3 thread.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Do people hate WoW because they think it's stifled the MMO genre, or because they think it's a bad game?

I can see to some extent why people could think the first one, I mean everybody has to conform to the WoW formula now to some extent, it's just too successful not to, but at the end of the day, it's not a HATEFUL game.

Perhaps that hate comes from people who used to play, quit, then felt a sense of like, ''That took up a lot of my time I'll never get back''

I dunno, I just don't understand why people HATE WoW, rather than just deciding it's a game they dislike.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    thejazzman wrote: »
    Do people hate WoW because they think it's stifled the MMO genre, or because they think it's a bad game?

I can see to some extent why people could think the first one, I mean everybody has to conform to the WoW formula now to some extent, it's just too successful not to, but at the end of the day, it's not a HATEFUL game.

Perhaps that hate comes from people who used to play, quit, then felt a sense of like, ''That took up a lot of my time I'll never get back''

I dunno, I just don't understand why people HATE WoW, rather than just deciding it's a game they dislike.

I gave it more than a fair shot. Played till level 20, friends kept insisting it would get better. It didn't.

I don't hate WoW, but rather the genre. WoW is simply the biggest target.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    thejazzman wrote: »

Interesting question. For me I think WoW is a good MMO, they did a lot of things right, but at the same time everyone else with a design studio looks at WoW and says, "lets do that!".

So I guess I fall withing the first camp.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Wait, what? He was banned again? I noticed he was back for an E3 thread.

I din't think he was ever banned recently, only jailed.

I did notice that he was posting on GAF when I went to borrow some Segagaga pictures.

Diehard Sega followers also use EA's snubbing of the DC as a reason for eternal hate. I see it as another smart business move on EAs part. :P

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I remember a while back there was something about TSR being really offensive in some thread, and he got jailed or whatever, but that's not too big a deal really, so is he not around much anymore because he fell out with people in general?

I mean, in some ways he was championed by many people here for his contributions in things like the 'stuff you didn't know about games you play'' thread and his thread about making a sonic engine and shit.

I mean, he did get a bit government cover-up paranoid about the 'sources' of sega leaks to his community and stuff, but I always thought he was fairly well liked.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    He was a dick over some spoilers. That's all I remember.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    He went insane in the MGS4 thread, that's the last I remember about the case.

This feels like CSI. "Whatever became of TSR?"

Arceus on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I feel proud for getting him banned over the spoilers issue for some prickish reason.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Maybe they tracked the sega leaks back to him and he was taken away by men in black suits.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    He went insane in the MGS4 thread, that's the last I remember about the case.

This feels like CSI. "Whatever became of TSR?"

Looks like it wasn't the bomb that killed him.

*Shades*

But the sonic boom.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Honk wrote: »
    Spacehog85 wrote: »

Am I doing it right?

Rock Band is only distributed by EA, publisher is MTV. (wiki)

Dead Space is not out yet, have you played it? Just look at Alone in the Dark this month for example of hyping shit. It was released and it sucked donkey genitals.

Mass Effect had MSG as publisher, EA for the PC version - which was released when the game was already made.

Spore is not out yet, have you played it?

Take your logic and get the fuck out. We don't need any rain during our little parade.

Spacehog85 on