As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Has Neverwinter Nights 2 ever crashed your graphics drivers?

widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
OK.

Was playing NW Nights 2 and the comp dies on me. Finally get it to restart, graphics go wonky.

Uninstall game, reinstall nVIDIA driver, works fine now.

Wife also said she noticed a massive drop in comp performance for about a month; exact time period I had NW Nights 2 installed.

Anyone else had this problem? I've heard the game has a bad rep for being buggy.

-I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
widowson on

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Unless your wife was running NWN2, she shouldn't have noticed a performance drop just because it was installed.

Are you using the latest nVidia drivers?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Unless your wife was running NWN2, she shouldn't have noticed a performance drop just because it was installed.

Are you using the latest nVidia drivers?

I am now.

I just don't get how it got corrupted and it happened while I was running NWN2.

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow, the forces of corruption are strong in that game. It must have a really evil villain.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Wow, the forces of corruption are strong in that game. It must have a really evil villain.

Yeah yeah very funny....

Only asking because it has a bad rep for system issues...wondering if anyone ever had simular problems; as in is the game buggered, and needs to be kept off my hard drive, or is this just a random driver glitch and the games fine.

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would guess that it's a random glitch. Games don't usually mess with drivers and shit while not running. But only way to be sure is re-installing windows, the drivers and the game.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It was probably just some nVidia hilarity that just chanced to happen at the same time as he installed the game. Graphics drivers in general tend to be the least stable software on a Windows system, because both AMD and nVidia are willing to sacrifice a little stability to get a few extra frames per second. Occasionally this horribly backfires and usually gets fixed in the next bimonthly update.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    widowson wrote: »
    Uninstall game, reinstall nVIDIA driver, works fine now.

Was the game installed on the same drive as windows/your display drivers? The only logical situation I can see here is bad sectors on your hard drive and the nVidia drivers were fully or partially stored on those sectors. Uninstalling NWN2 meant that the reinstalled nVidia drivers would be place on a different section of your hard drive. I highly recommend making some backups of vital data very soon, and perhaps running a scandisk/chkdsk on that drive with autofix and a surface scan.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game had assloads of bugs and glitches when i first got it on release date, to the point where i gave up and uninstalled it. Well i picked up the expansion about 2 months ago because my friend at a local retailer got it to me for like $6, so i tried again. My hardware now is a lot better (AMD Phenom 9750, 4gig 1066, 9800GTX) and the game runs really well with minimal crashes. I think the patches that came after the expansion have significantly improved the games stability. On another note the game was well known to have major issues with the 8800's which is what i used to have (an older 8800gts 320mb.) and now i am using a 9800gtx so this may have also solved some of my problems.

Another thing is DO NOT turn shadows to very high. The very high shadows do not render properly and never have, they will turn your game into a slide show regardless of hardware setup and cause driver crashes. I myself have everything maxxed and even soft shadows enabled and the game runs fine for me with a very rare map transition crash sometimes, but i never max the shadows to very high as it will slide show my game then crash my drivers.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/