As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Heard of that game on the way, "Fat Princess"? Yeah? So have the feminists.

NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/feminists-cry-foul-over-fat-princess/1232315

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyEuRem5N78
She's plump, powerful and ready to cause more controversy than "SuperSize Me."

She's Fat Princess, the star of Sony's upcoming video game of the same name. Debuting at last week's E3 expo, the colorful Fat Princess is a capture-the-flag game with a twist: you can thwart capture attempts by locking the once-thin princess in a dungeon and stuffing her full of cake, thereby increasing her girth and making her harder for your enemies to haul back to home base.

According to popular gaming blog Joystiq, two feminist gaming sites have already voiced their displeasure with the weighty issue.


VIEW SCREENS
Feminist Gamer's "Mighty Ponygirl" rings in diplomatically, suggesting a new way to play the game altogether.

"Instead of running out into the forest to find cake to fatten up the princess with, why not go out and find gold (which is a lot heavier than cake) to stuff into a treasure chest. The more gold in the chest, the heavier it would be, and the harder it would be to carry," she said, before adding, "Oh, but that's not as "cute" as cake and fat chicks. Right."

Over at Shakesville, however, writer Melissa McEwan cuts to the chase, telling Sony she's "positively thrilled to see such unyielding dedication to creating a new generation of fat-hating, heteronormative ---holes."

Sony has yet to issue an official response, although Joystiq did receive a particularly informative update from James Green, Fat Princess' lead art director, who clued gamers in on the origins of the game:

"Does it make it better or worse that the concept artist (who designed the look, characters, everything) is a girl?"

Hmmm...hope the game's detractors don't mind eating a bit of crow.

So, I'm wondering if the problem is that the princess is fat, or if it's because it's a girl? Heroes saving princesses or protecting them is nothing new. And fat characters being slow and clumsy is also a common theme.

But, combine the two, and Ono!

IHZR47b.png
Nerdtendo on
«134567

Posts

  • StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't want to say it's the Fat Princess they're mad about, or else there's just no pleasing them. Either a girl can be strong and sexy and they get pissy that it's womanizing, or the girl is fat and what? They get pissed that they have a sympathetic protagonist with a vice? I dunno.

    It's probably just what she said, going to fatten her up like she's cattle, but criticizing video games for non-ideal morality is a waste. Chastising cartoonish ones is even more ridiculous.

    Strayth on
    That's right.
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man do I hope the lead designer for this game is female.... what will they do then??

    TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Feminist Gamer's "Mighty Ponygirl" rings in diplomatically, suggesting a new way to play the game altogether.

    "Instead of running out into the forest to find cake to fatten up the princess with, why not go out and find gold (which is a lot heavier than cake) to stuff into a treasure chest. The more gold in the chest, the heavier it would be, and the harder it would be to carry," she said, before adding, "Oh, but that's not as "cute" as cake and fat chicks. Right."

    She's only mad because she's fat.

    urahonky on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Alternative viewpoint from someone who's an... unusual feminist.
    http://sexyvideogameland.blogspot.com/2008/07/it-looks-cute.html

    Xagarath on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Feminist Gamer's "Mighty Ponygirl" rings in diplomatically, suggesting a new way to play the game altogether.

    "Instead of running out into the forest to find cake to fatten up the princess with, why not go out and find gold (which is a lot heavier than cake) to stuff into a treasure chest. The more gold in the chest, the heavier it would be, and the harder it would be to carry," she said, before adding, "Oh, but that's not as "cute" as cake and fat chicks. Right."

    She's only mad because she's fat.

    Probably on her period, too.

    AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Strayth wrote: »
    I don't want to say it's the Fat Princess they're mad about, or else there's just no pleasing them. Either a girl can be strong and sexy and they get pissy that it's womanizing, or the girl is fat and what? They get pissed that they have a sympathetic protagonist with a vice? I dunno.

    It's probably just what she said, going to fatten her up like she's cattle, but criticizing video games for non-ideal morality is a waste. Chastising cartoonish ones is even more ridiculous.

    People get pissed about "strong and sexy" because "sexy" usually means "naked."

    I guess I don't really have a problem with whole "Fat Princess" thing. I mean, even though you stuffed her with cake and made her fat, it doesn't make her any less desirable to the people trying to capture her.

    tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What if we were stuffing a guy so he couldn't have been hauled off? Would it have had the same "controversy?" I actually wonder what the idealist female character would be for a feminist.

    never die on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wait, why is this a problem? Don't we want to encourage the view that princesses of all types, no matter how fat, are still worth saving?

    Would it be better if it was a beautiful Barbie princess with a perfect body, continuing the Hollywood stereotype that women must be thin and beautiful to be worth something?

    Or maybe there should be no women at all, continuing the game industry stereotype that games are for men only?

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Doesn't the game also give you a greater reward based proportionally on the larger the princess you manage to capture?

    PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    never die wrote: »
    What if we were stuffing a guy so he couldn't have been hauled off? Would it have had the same "controversy?" I actually wonder what the idealist female character would be for a feminist.
    Mitsuko.jpg
    ?

    But seriously, there's a few. Eve from Parasite Eve, while attractive, wasn't clad in a bikini all the time (yeah, the shower scene in part two). The Resident Evil games sports several. And we can't forget Samus Aran.

    Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Alternative viewpoint from someone who's an... unusual feminist.
    http://sexyvideogameland.blogspot.com/2008/07/it-looks-cute.html


    Ooh, I like this opinion.

    never die on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    never die wrote: »
    What if we were stuffing a guy so he couldn't have been hauled off? Would it have had the same "controversy?" I actually wonder what the idealist female character would be for a feminist.
    Mitsuko.jpg
    ?

    But seriously, there's a few. Eve from Parasite Eve, while attractive, wasn't clad in a bikini all the time (yeah, the shower scene in part two).
    That's Aya you're thinking of, not Eve, but yes.
    The Resident Evil games sports several.
    Claire yes, but Jill "Hooker" Valentine, not so much.
    And we can't forget Samus Aran.
    It's a (reverse) trap!

    PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Steak ButtplugSteak Buttplug Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    wait lesbians aren't fat

    Steak Buttplug on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What they should had done is named the game "Fat American Women". Then the object of the game is to save your 300lb woman cousin, clad in a too tight nascar top and a confederate flag bikini bottom, from your other male cousin.

    Then nobody would complain, because it would accurately portray the above mentioned parties.

    Casually Hardcore on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    They gotta be mad at something

    Endomatic on
  • HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If there is anything I have learned from perusing some feminist websites, it's that everything can be construed as sexist. Certainly, some things are more or less sexist than others, but everything is offensive to at least some group of feminists.

    Also, positive strides that are made to close the gap between men and women are only seen as an excuse to shout that "it's not enough", or that "it's too little too late."

    On top of all of this, many feminists will jump on anything related to women and try to find something that really isn't there. In one of the quotes, for example, a woman says that this will create a new generation of fat-hating males. In reality, she probably just looked at the title of the game and saw that you can feed a girl cake to get her fat and based her conclusions purely on that. There was likely no further thought about what purpose the fat princess has in the game.

    So, to make a long story short, this does not surprise me.

    Halibut on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    While initially someone might confuse this as mixed signals indicating that they don't want attractive, busty women in games and they also don't want fat, unattractive women in games, in actuality the message is crystal clear. My friends, we need to more games with butter-faced female protagonists!
    You know the new Princess Zelda? She's already I guess. Everyhing about her is great But-Her-Face.

    SammyF on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What they should had done is named the game "Fat American Women". Then the object of the game is to save your 300lb woman cousin, clad in a too tight nascar top and a confederate flag bikini bottom, from your other male cousin.

    Then nobody would complain, because it would accurately portray the above mentioned parties.

    Each team is also armed with concrete cutters, a backhoe, and a forklift for when the doors get to small.

    Dissociater on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    They spent decades trying to convince the media to portray women in a more plausible and relatable manner. As it turns out, this is even more offensive. Awesome.

    Game looks good.

    Torso Boy on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I love feminazis. Nothing is less feminine than an angry feminizi, and they live in a world where they can be angry about anything. Pricess is fat? Fucking misogynist pigs. The princess is pretty? Fucking misogynist pigs. The pricess is a hippy lesbian who doesn't shave her legs? Fucking misogynist pigs making fun of us. The princess is a transexual guy in drag? Fucking misogynist pigs. The princess is Xena, Warrior Princess? And so on.

    JihadJesus on
  • Steak ButtplugSteak Buttplug Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Halibut wrote: »
    If there is anything I have learned from perusing some feminist websites, it's that everything can be construed as sexist. Certainly, some things are more or less sexist than others, but everything is offensive to at least some group of feminists.

    Also, positive strides that are made to close the gap between men and women are only seen as an excuse to shout that "it's not enough", or that "it's too little too late."

    On top of all of this, many feminists will jump on anything related to women and try to find something that really isn't there. In one of the quotes, for example, a woman says that this will create a new generation of fat-hating males. In reality, she probably just looked at the title of the game and saw that you can feed a girl cake to get her fat and based her conclusions purely on that. There was likely no further thought about what purpose the fat princess has in the game.

    So, to make a long story short, this does not surprise me.

    I don't think anybody's really disputing that this is a kneejerk reaction that is incredibly dumb and helps nobody, but the fact that this stupid crap keeps getting into the press hurts feminists who are fighting for more important things (equality in the workplace????? nope, vidjagames.).

    At best, this kind of press makes Joe Public put his hands on his waist, tilt his head, and say "Oh those wacky feminists are at it again". But in reality, it's doing a lot to hurt their public image when a handful of idiots go ahead, over-react to a largely harmless little cartoon game, and go running to the press about it. The press won't cover important strides made for far nobler causes, but they're all over a shot to portray feminists a bunch of fun-hating dykes.

    Steak Buttplug on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My favorite reaction against this game is the one saying "Well why would we want to rescue her anyways, she's fat?!"

    Because like. The point of the game is to rescue her. She made up an argument that was completely the reverse of the actual game so she could attack it.

    That was awesome.

    Khavall on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You hit the nail on the head, Steak Buttplug.

    Endomatic on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The important thing to remember is that there are all kinds of different schools of thought when it comes to feminism, and the people griping don't necessarily represent feminism as a whole. There are the radical ones that come close to fitting the Rush Limbaugh "feminazi" straw man (er, woman), and then there are those who are happy if women have the same rights and opportunities as men.

    That said, my real question is this: is the feeder* community having multiple orgasms over this?

    *If you don't know what feeders are, you don't want to know. Trust me.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Endomatic wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head, Steak Buttplug.

    Roll Fizzlebeef

    Edit: Oh, AMAZING top of page. Go me.

    AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    never die wrote: »
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Alternative viewpoint from someone who's an... unusual feminist.
    http://sexyvideogameland.blogspot.com/2008/07/it-looks-cute.html


    Ooh, I like this opinion.

    She's a pretty good writer generally.

    Xagarath on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

    That said, my real question is this: is the feeder* community having multiple orgasms over this?

    You know the best way to find out the latest happenings in weirdo pervert culture?

    Do a search on DeviantArt. Or don't. You probably shouldn't.

    Hexmage-PA on
  • TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As an overweight gamer I am highly offended by the use of "fat" in the title of this game. It is obviously a ploy to undermine the large-person community by ridiculing our plight. That or I'm a horrible jackass that likes to read too deeply into every cute little multiplayer game because I love the attention.

    Trevor on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As a princess I am highly offended by the use of "princess" in the title of this game.

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    As a princess I am highly offended by the use of "princess" in the title of this game.

    :lol:

    Xagarath on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Halibut wrote: »
    If there is anything I have learned from perusing some feminist websites, it's that everything can be construed as sexist. Certainly, some things are more or less sexist than others, but everything is offensive to at least some group of feminists.

    Also, positive strides that are made to close the gap between men and women are only seen as an excuse to shout that "it's not enough", or that "it's too little too late."

    On top of all of this, many feminists will jump on anything related to women and try to find something that really isn't there. In one of the quotes, for example, a woman says that this will create a new generation of fat-hating males. In reality, she probably just looked at the title of the game and saw that you can feed a girl cake to get her fat and based her conclusions purely on that. There was likely no further thought about what purpose the fat princess has in the game.

    So, to make a long story short, this does not surprise me.

    I don't think anybody's really disputing that this is a kneejerk reaction that is incredibly dumb and helps nobody, but the fact that this stupid crap keeps getting into the press hurts feminists who are fighting for more important things (equality in the workplace????? nope, vidjagames.).

    At best, this kind of press makes Joe Public put his hands on his waist, tilt his head, and say "Oh those wacky feminists are at it again". But in reality, it's doing a lot to hurt their public image when a handful of idiots go ahead, over-react to a largely harmless little cartoon game, and go running to the press about it. The press won't cover important strides made for far nobler causes, but they're all over a shot to portray feminists a bunch of fun-hating dykes.

    I agree with much of what you said, Steak. And I think this argument applies to a lot of groups out there being negatively portrayed because of a few idiots.

    MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Why did Yahoo have to cover this? Why?

    Hexmage-PA on
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Why did Yahoo have to cover this? Why?

    Slow news day. Must be there aren't any missing white women to cover.

    Fellhand on
  • wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You know what?

    I'm offended on behalf of my colleagues that these writers assume the game's developers were male. What an unfounded, blatantly sexist attitude -- "only boys make video games, hurrr".

    wasted pixels on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mainstream media is stupid. More at eleven.

    The_Scarab on
  • HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Halibut wrote: »
    If there is anything I have learned from perusing some feminist websites, it's that everything can be construed as sexist. Certainly, some things are more or less sexist than others, but everything is offensive to at least some group of feminists.

    Also, positive strides that are made to close the gap between men and women are only seen as an excuse to shout that "it's not enough", or that "it's too little too late."

    On top of all of this, many feminists will jump on anything related to women and try to find something that really isn't there. In one of the quotes, for example, a woman says that this will create a new generation of fat-hating males. In reality, she probably just looked at the title of the game and saw that you can feed a girl cake to get her fat and based her conclusions purely on that. There was likely no further thought about what purpose the fat princess has in the game.

    So, to make a long story short, this does not surprise me.

    I don't think anybody's really disputing that this is a kneejerk reaction that is incredibly dumb and helps nobody, but the fact that this stupid crap keeps getting into the press hurts feminists who are fighting for more important things (equality in the workplace????? nope, vidjagames.).

    At best, this kind of press makes Joe Public put his hands on his waist, tilt his head, and say "Oh those wacky feminists are at it again". But in reality, it's doing a lot to hurt their public image when a handful of idiots go ahead, over-react to a largely harmless little cartoon game, and go running to the press about it. The press won't cover important strides made for far nobler causes, but they're all over a shot to portray feminists a bunch of fun-hating dykes.

    Oh, I agree completely. I didn't mean to make it sound like all feminists hate everything, but upon reading my post again it certainly seems like that's what I said. The ones that do hate everything, are usually the ones that speak out the most.

    Like you said, it's unfortunate that this crap gets leaked out and is given more weight than other causes. It's had negative effects on me personally. My wife is a feminist (as in, she is striving for equality between men and women), so I have seen some of the sites that she frequents.

    One article blasted GTA4 for being a game about raping and murdering strippers. My wife was angry every time I went to play it because of this until I finally figured out why. She's a little less angry about it now. There was another story about how in India they have developed a device that women can wear to alert authorities if they are being raped. The reason why the submitter was pissed? She implied that the government was forcing women to wear it (which is definitely not the case). A lot of the times, the reported stories of crimes against women are inaccurate (uneducated on subject or event), or intentionally misleading (spouting bullshit).

    The fact of the matter is that about 1 third of the articles I have read on feminist sites have been from this group of sky-is-falling "feminazis", who forgo factual research to get a few outcries from the rest of the community. The other 2 thirds just plain don't get reported anywhere else because they aren't sensational enough or can't be used to drive some other agenda.

    Halibut on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Mainstream media is stupid. More at eleven.

    While the phrase is played out, this usage is a bit of double entendre, so you win three points.

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Why do people always have to be offended by stupid things? I bet no one would care if this game was called Fat King.

    Peewi on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Why do people always have to be offended by stupid things? I bet no one would care if this game was called Fat King.

    Oh, so you're implying that men are automatically kings, the highest of authority, while women have to settle for princess?

    reVerse on
  • chevluhchevluh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    Heroes saving princesses or protecting them is nothing new.
    Your first step towards understanding feminists is to understand they have a major problem with this very fact and wish this attitude of considering it normal would disappear.

    chevluh on
This discussion has been closed.