As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-PAX Halo3 Contest (NOT THE PAX TOURNAMENT)

David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
edited September 2008 in PAX Archive
This is for the online gaming mini-tournament for Halo3 on the 360. This is open to everyone, and assuming we can pull off a decent little contest or tournament, the winner will receive a Penny Arcade sponsored prize at PAX.

So far the following names have expressed interest:

Oz K. Fodrotski
Godmeat
HoLeY
Ukali.Kula
S7arbuck
Diamond 333
Mages
RowdyTheDog
QS23
PanzeRIV
Nomed220

If you have are not on that list, you are still welcome to join.

I am a certifiable Halo3 n00b, so if there are any Enforcers reading this that knows a fair chunk about Halo3 multiplayer and would like to be the arbiter on this one, let me know.

Basically, I only expect 50-75% of those names to be able to take part in this, and that means we're basically down to a free for all tournament, maybe with 3 maps taking cumulative ranking where first place is worth [player count] points, second place is worth [player count - 1] points and so on.

In the event of a tie after three rounds, set up a 1v1 match to determine the victor.

Something like that sound entertaining?

In the interest of making this happen, I'll throw out three potential dates and you can post which ones you can or can't make.

Tuesday, August 5th, 8:00pm.
Thursday, August 7th, 8:00pm.
Sunday, August 10th, 8:00pm.

We are not limited to those dates, if none of them work feel free to make suggestions.

---

This has -nothing- at all to do with the official PAX Halo3 tournament. This is just an opportunity for some outside fun before pax, a chance to e-meet and play games with fellow pax fans, and in general, have a good time.

David Coffman on

• Options
    RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I love this and could make all 3 times.

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    I knew it. I knew Rela would be the first to post here. Man, I should have put money on that.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Ukali.KulaUkali.Kula Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm down.. Haven't played Xbox in like 2 months.. halo in longer.. I'll just wing it.. any of those 3 dates are fine.. The sooner the better.

Ukali.Kula on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    is this in person or on X-box live? I may be able to make some of those days but not all of them. Working evening sucks.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    its xbox live... I want to suggest a rockband pre pax tourney.

Ukali.Kula on
  • Options
    Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I was about to say "no conflicts in my schedule" but just realized that I'll be out of town on the 10th.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    Ukali.Kula wrote: »
    its xbox live... I want to suggest a rockband pre pax tourney.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=62491

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Comrade OneComrade One Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I may aswell throw my hat in the ring. Haven't played xbox for a few months now but we'll see how it goes. I don't have anything on those three dates yet but Sunday night would probably be best.

Comrade One on
  • Options
    Jordman12Jordman12 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If its on Xbox Live, then I want to be in this tournament. All three of those dates are fine with me.

EDIT: My gamertag is Jordman12

Jordman12 on
    2015 PAX East Omeganaut
    2016 PAX East Omeganaut

HAIL HATS !!!!!!!

@Jordman12
  • Options
    SentosSentos Rainbow Afro United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Any Specific Maps? I have an Arcade Xbox, and well no heroic map pack.

Also, this is a great chance to find a team for the Actual Halo 3 tourney!!!

Sentos on
  • Options
    Diamond 333Diamond 333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I can only make the Sunday but other than that, I am looking forward to attempting to beat people who are a lot better than I am at Halo

Diamond 333 on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm guessing those times are PST (or PDT or whatever the correct abbreviation is)?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    since my name us already on the list

I have all the maps! So whatever works for me......

Honestly Sunday is re worst for me but it's whatever if we could find out asap that would be awsome!

And if anyone wants to posttheir gamertags here to play a little before for practice, or to play custom games (hyper zombies) mine is s7arbuck (duh)

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    The_SavesThe_Saves Magistrate of Crazy Town KirklandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm going to throw my name in the hat as well.

All times work for me.

Need to practice though, lol.

My gamertag is: PappaDoom

The_Saves on
    Ummm...
  • Options
    andoando Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd play. Tuesday and Thursday are preferred, teams are also preferred if possible. How about teams of 2 if we don't get enough for the standard 4? We can use the forum to match up the singletons.

My gamer tag is: Andimus

ando on
  • Options
    Da JackalDa Jackal Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm in. Tuesday and Thursday work best for me as well.

Gamertag: DaJackal

Da Jackal on
    r92c8gd6zf71.png
  • Options
    nonjapikachunonjapikachu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I really really want to play, but I'm in a summer session of classes now and none of those dates work for me. Any chance the whole thing can be moved to anytime after Aug 14th?

nonjapikachu on
  • Options
    nonjapikachunonjapikachu Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ah, btw, my gamertag is PikaChooChoo

nonjapikachu on
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What time zone is 8 PM listed under?

I'm open the first two dates, but the third would be tricky if 8 PM is anything else.

I want in, just need to know the time to show up.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    Apollo7Apollo7 Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    i can make the thursday the 7th session

my gamertag is stoicapollo

Apollo7 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    I can make all times AFIAK

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Johnny5Johnny5 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm down for some Halo action. Have all the maps and any of those days works for me.
    Gamertag: Neepad

Johnny5 on
  • Options
    Ty1012Ty1012 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Gamertag: Ty1012

scratch that. looks like I won't be back in Seattle (with access to a 360) until the 9th. ah well. if there's anything you might plan after that, count me in.

Ty1012 on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Open all, unless otherwise notified.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    My friend will do this if he isn't working on the decided date... If he is able to play on the decided date i will have him create an account and post. We both ahven't played in months.. We plan on losing! =)

Ukali.Kula on
  • Options
    drastickdrastick Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll jump in.

drastick on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Really though, What maps are you using? I REALLY want to enter....

Sentos on
  • Options
    ninjownedninjowned Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll enter! Haven't played Halo 3 in awhile and I'm getting my 360 back from rrod tomororw :D

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Subjectively seems like Thursday is best?

Also, great question on time zone...I was thinking 8 pst.

As far as which maps, iunno, I was really hoping a neutral Halo3 guru would step up. ;)

David Coffman on
  • Options
    mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    im good for all three days and ill woop all you guys just like im gonna do to luke and shishka at the bungie booth.

FOr the maps I have a fun free for all map called warzoone that my friends all enjoyed if that would work.

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DiscoDave wrote: »

As far as which maps, iunno, I was really hoping a neutral Halo3 guru would step up. ;)

If 1v1 is the way the tournament will go, you can't go wrong with Cold Storage (free) as well as some Foundry variants (Free with the Free Heroic map pack).

For those who have the Arcade 360, Guardian is pretty good as well - The Pit may or may not be suitable, but it is a bit bigger.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

If 1v1 is the way the tournament will go, you can't go wrong with Cold Storage (free) as well as some Foundry variants (Free with the Free Heroic map pack).

For those who have the Arcade 360, Guardian is pretty good as well - The Pit may or may not be suitable, but it is a bit bigger.

The Tourney is teams, 4v4 actually.

Sentos on
  • Options
    ninjownedninjowned Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sentos wrote: »

How will teams work in 4v4, I know Dave mentioned in the first post it would be a free for all unless someone more knowledgeable stepped up to suggest something else.

I'm just curious if it'll be a random draw or what.

If there is a vote for teams, 1v1, or free-for-all, I think I like the original free for all idea :)

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
  • Options
    Diamond 333Diamond 333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why not Team Slayer on Standoff or Heavy Team Slayer on Heavy Valhalla. It seems like the teams should be based on rank and ex. points too so that one team is not a team full of Juggernaughts. :) BTW I suggested Standoff because it comes free with heroic map pack and slayer seems like the most common game on live. Valhalla was suggested because it is a good map for teams of any size and it has everything (Sniping Spots, Huge Vehicles, Turrets, and almost every weapon in the game, therefore, it can accomodate anyone.) :P

Diamond 333 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Wow... Nice job on not paying attention to the OP.. It states it is a free for all.. can't have a 4v4 tourney with like 12 people... Obviously you've mistaken this for the PAX Halo 4v4 tournament that takes place during PAX... This Isn't an in person tournament.. It currently has about 12 people who are going to take part in an xbox live Halo tournament..FFA... NOT 4v4.

Ukali.Kula on
  • Options
    RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Sigh, do you really need that much help? hehe:lol:

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Suitable FFA Maps

disc maps

High Ground
    Construct
    Guardian
    Epitaph
    Narrows
    Snowbound
    The Pit

DLC maps (free)

Foundry
    Cold Storage

DLC maps (cost money)
    Ghost Town
    Blackout (although Guardian pretty much fulfills the purpose of this map)

The base variants will be fine, although there will be equipment on there people are not familiar with since they were temporarily removed from online matchmaking due to double jumping, but I think that'll be Just Fine. If you want to keep it interesting, base slayer is fine with weapon set set to No Sniping to keep it from the better players railroading the not-as-good players.

I can make and upload any needed map variants.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    FokkarFokkar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Count me in! Although Tuesday and Thursday wouldn't work... Sunday Aug 10th would... or Monday August 4th could work :)

Gamertag: Fokkar

Fokkar on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ukali.Kula wrote: »

Wow... Nice job on not paying attention to the OP.. It states it is a free for all.. can't have a 4v4 tourney with like 12 people... Obviously you've mistaken this for the PAX Halo 4v4 tournament that takes place during PAX... This Isn't an in person tournament.. It currently has about 12 people who are going to take part in an xbox live Halo tournament..FFA... NOT 4v4.

oh wait fuck, I meant the ACTUAL OFFICIAL tourney at PAX. i thought he was asking if that tourney was 1v1.

Sentos on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Maybe that should be something reinforced.

This has -nothing- at all to do with the official PAX Halo3 tournament. This is just an opportunity for some outside fun before pax, a chance to e-meet and play games with fellow pax fans, and in general, have a good time.

David Coffman on
This discussion has been closed.