As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

File Server Box OS Advice Needed

2»

• Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    bash wrote: »
    Router - hubbed or switched & Ubuntu on flash drive.
    I can't imagine the top of the line gaming router put out by d-link would be anything less than a gigabit switch that routes.

I will probably be loading Ubuntu onto the flash drive next week. I'm thinking about buying a small retractable USB Extension cable and running it inside the case from the back panel (so no one inadvertently unplugs the OS). Is there any trick involved to installing Ubuntu to a flash drive? Also, the board *does* support booting to a USB-Drive.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    1ddqd wrote: »
    I can't imagine the top of the line gaming router put out by d-link would be anything less than a gigabit switch that routes.

I will probably be loading Ubuntu onto the flash drive next week. I'm thinking about buying a small retractable USB Extension cable and running it inside the case from the back panel (so no one inadvertently unplugs the OS). Is there any trick involved to installing Ubuntu to a flash drive? Also, the board *does* support booting to a USB-Drive.

I refer you to my post in the linux thread for that.

Also, get this. That way you can have a nice looking case without a ugly thick wire going through it. The 5th connector is internal on the card. Probably about the same cost too.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bashbash Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    1ddqd wrote: »

There's lots of instructions all over the internet for installing Ubuntu onto a flash drive. Search for "ubuntu flash drive" and you're sure to find a lot of assistance. You might want to check your board out and see if it has an internal USB port, some boards do have these as they have USB stick booting in mind. Otherwise definitely check out that USB adapter card bowen linked to for some internal USB port love.

One thing I mentioned was creating live backup images of your Ubuntu installation. This is a fairly simple process in Linux using the command 'dd'. The following command will pull data off a Flash drive and pipe it into gzip to create a compressed file:
    % dd if=/dev/sda conv=sync,noerror bs=4k | gzip -c > /some/directory/sda.img.gz

Before running something like this make sure the drive is not currently mounted. Restoring this is simple:
    % gzip -cd /some/directory/sda.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sda conv=sync,noerror bs=4k

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sweet! I'll give this setup a go, probably next Friday (payday)

1ddqd on