As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The "Mojave" Experiments - aka MS Fights back about Vista

ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

What if you were invited to see the new version of Windows called "Mojave"? What if you were asked to describe what you have heard and did not like about Vista, despite having never used it? Then you tried out our new "Mojave" OS, and loved it, only to be told that it actually was Windows Vista.

MS seems to be starting a new marketing campaign to strike back at all the bad press and ads (silly Apple, those ads were old after the first one) about Vista to show real people's reactions to Vista.

Kudos to them. I have been using Vista since SP1 came out, and I have had no problems and I love it. The little things (as well as the pretty things) just make things simpler and better. Even UAC doesn't bother me. It will be interesting if we start to see adoption pick up after these start to air.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
ArcSyn on

• Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I heard about this, and I think it's a pretty neat marketing idea. I've been using Vista since launch week, and I even tried out a couple of betas. I've had no major problems. I've had a few minor problems, and those have always been related to companies not writing decent drivers as opposed to something Microsoft related. Still, a smooth and great experience overall.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Windows 98 is all I'll ever need.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    agoaj wrote: »

XP is probably microsoft's best OS since 95. Its stable as hell.

I run vista currently,though, and its not bad at all. I do get alot of crashes when I close games, but I'm closing them anyway so it doesn't matter.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I guess I am lucky seeing as I have had no issues whatsoever with Vista since it launched. It's been good to me.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Watching that video on the site, it looks exactly like every other advertisement with "real customer testimonials" - that is to say, totally fake sounding. Even if it is real, it doesn't address the issues that Windows Vista is sluggish and bloated on hardware with less than 1gb of memory, which is probably what the average home user has. The other problem is that people familiar with IT don't generally like it because we tend to demand more of software.

If you have 1gb of memory and are a general purpose user, Windows Vista is a perfectly acceptable OS. If you're a speed freak or working at enterprise level, it's not exactly the step forward it should have been.

Edit: I have nothing against Vista, but after a few weeks of use I decided it wasn't for me - like I said, the "problems" people complain about shouldn't generally affect most users.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, Vista does alot of background stuff and requires more RAM than the average user would need. No issue for me on my gaming PC, but I don't have an average PC.

Other than compatability issues, it just feels like a new version of XP, though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    agoaj wrote: »

XP is probably microsoft's best OS since 95. Its stable as hell.

I run vista currently,though, and its not bad at all. I do get alot of crashes when I close games, but I'm closing them anyway so it doesn't matter.

the first year of XP was pretty horrid. it took until SP2 to make it featured to where it should be.

as for the "experiment". man does microsoft have it tough. they've got a product that doesn't really have all that many problems, but there's just a strong aversion to anything branded with the name of it. apple sure has done a hell of an assassination job.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This just in: people are morons! More at eleven.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I never run into anyone that's said they don't like Vista because they've tried it - it's always I HEARD it wasn't good or a friend TOLD me not to get it. It had a really bad rap before it even got out and because of that getting around so quickly, no one really wanted to try it for themselves. Props to MS for showing these people that you should try it yourself before making a judgement on it.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    People saying they hate something even though they never used it or tried it is nothing else, people go with what they heard or what they think is the popular answer. Vista hate is a part of that, been using Vista on my main computer and laptop for a year now and had no problems really. I never see the blue screen of death that use to pop up constantly for me on XP.

Cade on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Every time I mention that I'm running Vista I get "HOW COULD YOU USE VISTA IT'S HORRIBLE?!"

Every time it's from someone who hasn't tried Vista at all, or tried it once and didn't even try to actually use it, instead just complained about how it wasn't XP.

I fucking love Vista.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Cade wrote: »
    People saying they hate something even though they never used it or tried it is nothing else, people go with what they heard or what they think is the popular answer. Vista hate is a part of that, been using Vista on my main computer and laptop for a year now and had no problems really. I never see the blue screen of death that use to pop up constantly for me on XP.

Thats pretty situational though. I never saw the blue screen once during my 4+ years using xp. I saw it all the time in 95.

Likely more an issue with the PC itself. Which, of course, could be the issue many people are having with Vista.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Watching that video on the site, it looks exactly like every other advertisement with "real customer testimonials" - that is to say, totally fake sounding.

Try to talk with someone, but start it out with "You're being recorded"

Gee look unless they're a trained actor their reactions will almost always change and they will start appearing fake. Especially if you tell them they're being recorded for something that might be used for presentations of commercials.

Khavall on
  • Options
    steve-o99steve-o99 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i think a lot of the aversion to vista is very similar to some gamers aversion to the wii. In that, with vista they really went for the casual pc user, like wii went for the casual gamer. They focused on squeaky-cleaness, ease of use, and security. Ironically, vista is probably the most mac-like os microsoft has made in a long time. Anyway, vista sacrifices usefulness, user freedom, stability, and capability for the shiny-clean-simple look and feel that attracts the dolts as shown in the video on that site.

EDIT: and yes i have used it, but i didnt buy it. I'll stick with XP 'til blackbird, the next real hardcore pc windows release.

steve-o99 on
    Max sig size 500x80px <3 Moe
    modernguilt-tag-330x150.jpg
    The_Scarab wrote:
    seriously im worried. these are truly the end of days. duke nukem forever is coming out, and the best nintendo ds game on the horizon is a sonic the hedgehog rpg by bioware.
    Brawl: 4983-4625-3928
  • Options
    Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think that logical people that have an issue with Windows Vista won't say the OS sucks rather that it just really isnt worth a 300 dollar upgrade from XP. I have no qualms with Vista, I own it, and I am a mac user and I got a copy of Business via my school. I like it and for bootcamp it is great and plays lovely. My personal and understandable issue with Windows VIsta is that over XP it isnt that major of an improvement, non of the things promised with Vista (winFS, and the sort) were really never delivered on. Direct X 10 is barely used, and for all compatibility purposes there is really no point to upgrade unless you are buying a new machine with Vista pre installed or are building one from scratch.

As a mac user, and a person who used to build PCs and understands OSs and the promises Microsoft made with Vista Id give it a 75%, its functional, it works. FILE COPYING SUCKS A DICK, but besides that the rest of the issues are driver related and unfulfilled promises.

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Every time I mention that I'm running Vista I get "HOW COULD YOU USE VISTA IT'S HORRIBLE?!"

Every time it's from someone who hasn't tried Vista at all, or tried it once and didn't even try to actually use it, instead just complained about how it wasn't XP.

Or someone trying to look down on you for not being a Mac user.

Occasionally a Linux user. Yes I've used Ubuntu, yes it is awesome. No, it's still not ready for the mass market, no I don't consider Wine my gaming platform of choice.

subedii on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I fucking love Vista.

Haha, yeah. It's the same thing I've encountered. Everyone I've seen complain has never actually tried it. I actually got Vista early after it's launch, and even though bugs are too be expected at the very start, I didn't have many problems. I still haven't had Vista crash because of Vista itself, and I can probably count how many times a bad driver has caused my system to crash on one hand. All in all, it's been a very smooth experience.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    steve-o99 wrote: »
    i think a lot of the aversion to vista is very similar to some gamers aversion to the wii. In that, with vista they really went for the casual pc user, like wii went for the casual gamer. They focused on squeaky-cleaness, ease of use, and security. Ironically, vista is probably the most mac-like os microsoft has made in a long time. Anyway, vista sacrifices usefulness, user freedom, stability, and capability for the shiny-clean-simple look and feel that attracts the dolts as shown in the video on that site.

EDIT: and yes i have used it, but i didnt buy it. I'll stick with XP 'til blackbird, the next real hardcore pc windows release.

My GPU crashed a while back.

In XP I would've gotten a BSOD or just a black screen.

In Vista I got a flicker and a message that Vista detected the problem and restarted the card.

But yeah, totally less stable.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    subedii wrote: »

Or someone trying to look down on you for not being a Mac user.

Occasionally a Linux user. Yes I've used Ubuntu, yes it is awesome. No, it's still not ready for the mass market, no I don't consider Wine my gaming platform of choice.

Well I also use Ubuntu, and have my Eee with Xandros, and even though I use windows for gaming I'm mostly a Linux user at heart.

I still fucking love Vista, and every time I think about adding Ubuntu on this machine and dual-booting I realize that there's really no point, because I don't have any problems with Vista that I need to fix with Ubuntu.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    steve-o99 wrote: »

My GPU crashed a while back.

In XP I would've gotten a BSOD or just a black screen.

In Vista I got a flicker and a message that Vista detected the problem and restarted the card.

But yeah, totally less stable.

I've found Vista a LOT more stable than XP. Almost every time some crappily programmed software caused an issue, Vista was able to maintain control and allow me to shut it down. In XP, my system would just hang.

I'm not quite sure how it sacrifices usefulness and capability either.

subedii on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    See I haven't used Vista much at all myself but I have been hesitant to pass judgement. I always wondered about stuff like this, just get people to try it out.

I've heard so many people at work (IT, no less!) call Vista the new Windows ME...and I keep telling them, ME was riddled with problems, bugs, crashes. Vista may be slow depending on your setup, but even with the little I've used it, it's easy to see that it is not utter trash. It's XP with more stuff, and it's gotten a bad rap.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My iMac rides tandem with a Vista PC on my desk.

The Vista PC runs my games phenomenally well in DirectX 10. In the realm of stability it's the equal of XP in my experience. I blue-screened last night but it was the first time in nearly half a year.

That said, my iMac has never kernel panicked.

Does Vista suck? No. It's a brilliant front end for my games. Would I use it for work? No thanks, I've got something else that I prefer.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    See I haven't used Vista much at all myself but I have been hesitant to pass judgement. I always wondered about stuff like this, just get people to try it out.

I've heard so many people at work (IT, no less!) call Vista the new Windows ME...

I've heard that one too. Pure BULL. Either those guys have never used ME or they've never used Vista.

I had to make use of ME. For four frigging years. It was an absolute pain to run. By the end it would be considered a good run if I managed to log off successfully 5 times without having a complete system crash or reset.

subedii on
  • Options
    kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Vista is kind of an odd bird. I run Vista Ultimate on my primary computer (a Fujitsu tablet) and Windows XP Pro on my Desktop, which I game on and do audio production. Vista is slower, feels less responsive and is certainly extremely bloated - but it has some critical features that I need on my tablet that I really can't live without at this point. The new tablet PC features are great (the handwriting recognition is scarily good), the revamping of Offline Files is awesome (the only issue I've ever had with it is it doesn't play well with Visual Studio) and a lot of the new power management features are pretty great. Plus, it's the only way I can recommend anyone jumping into 64bit computing on the PC (unless you want to run a server).

It's also great management-wise. I set up a domain at home and the management features of Vista are just a cut above XP (Administrative templates for MAPPING DRIVE? Finally!!). Vista is VERY MUCH designed with the enterprise in mind on the networking side - but that's because I think the Servers and Tools team at Microsoft are the real geniuses at that company. They do great work!

But it doesn't play well with my professional audio hardware, and it's a bit too much of a system hog for my liking so my desktop remains XP.

But it's not worth $300. Holy jesus, who thought that was a good idea? MS operating systems are usually really over-priced, but this has to take the cake.

Vista was also completely broken until SP1 (30 minutes to copy a couple of gigs of locals file to another directory on my hard drive? what is this, the stone age?), and I still can't believe they won't push SP1 through Windows Update.

Now Server 2008 - THAT'S an amazing operating system. If the consumer OS team took a cue from their Servers and Tools counterparts, Apple would have some SERIOUS trouble. Server 2008 is absolutely worth the $1000 or so price of admission, and it runs fantastically on ancient hardware.

kingmetal on
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I bought a new laptop for work which came with Vista and it has been plagued with problems.

I actually hadn't seen a blue screen since the ME days, and I get one almost daily now with Vista. It looks fine, and the upfront features are all well and good, but when I buy a computer and programs won't even open after three months, about three error messages pop up every time I bring it back from standby, and every boot-up it tells me I shut it down incorrectly and must choose how to start Windows (regardless of how I actually shut it down), it tends to upset me.

Vista is not as bad as people say, and it is better than ME, but it is still, in general, shitty.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I use Vista occasionally, when I want to run some game Ubuntu/Wine can't handle yet. Color me not terribly impressed. I mean, it is pretty. But it's also large, runs like crap on old hardware and has a ton of DRM built in.

Some of the new networking stuff (like allowing you to use wifi while directly connected to another machine) is quite nice; I still don't know how to do that in Linux yet. But try and configure your network? Why are there like seven or eight different control panels? Why are some of them non-obvious to get to?

Back on topic, Wil Shipley didn't like this "experiment" or marketing campaign.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    JohnHam wrote: »
    I bought a new laptop for work which came with Vista and it has been plagued with problems.

I actually hadn't seen a blue screen since the ME days, and I get one almost daily now with Vista. It looks fine, and the upfront features are all well and good, but when I buy a computer and programs won't even open after three months, about three error messages pop up every time I bring it back from standby, and every boot-up it tells me I shut it down incorrectly and must choose how to start Windows (regardless of how I actually shut it down), it tends to upset me.

Vista is not as bad as people say, and it is better than ME, but it is still, in general, shitty.

Who did you buy it from and how much extra shit did they put on?

Because what you're describing is not at all what is to be expected from Vista.

So something else is messing with your computer.

Khavall on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Just curious, how did you start using it? Just out of the box, right?

Take a look at this article here:
    Fixing Vista, one machine at a time

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I've heard so many people at work (IT, no less!) call Vista the new Windows ME...and I keep telling them, ME was riddled with problems, bugs, crashes. Vista may be slow depending on your setup, but even with the little I've used it, it's easy to see that it is not utter trash. It's XP with more stuff, and it's gotten a bad rap.

From an IT standpoint (my team is currently working on deciding if it's worth supporting Vista) Vista is a real bitch for a lot of reasons:

1. Hardware requirements are insane
    2. Rewriting things like the audio stack have caused a lot of compatibility issues with legacy equipment
    3. UAC scares the shit out of people
    4. MSFT has already announced that Windows 7 will be out fairly shortly
    5. Some old management tools (like SMS 2003) don't seem to work right in Vista
    6. Vista treats security VERY differently than XP - this is a good thing in most way, as it's more flexible and more granular, but different means diverting thinly stretched IT resources to learning about new technology

That being said, I agree with some of the posters above: anyone who compares Vista to ME is full of shit. Vista may be more of a stepping stone OS, but it does introduce some fairly radically different security paradigms at least. ME was just a buggy, shitty version of Windows 98. Vista is just a slow, bloated version of a good operating system.

kingmetal on
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I bought a new PC with a 64-bit version of Vista (8gb of RAM ftw) about 2 months ago after using XP for years. While it's not completely awful, I recently realized that the only places it DOESN'T piss me off is where it's the same as XP, with the sole exception of the nifty glass window borders.

A few of my gripes:

- UAC is stupid. Yes, I know what it actually does, and yes, I know it's a good idea in theory. In practice, it's fucking retarded on an astronomical scale. I mean, seriously: sometimes you'll finish an install and it will pop up a message saying that it thinks that didn't work and wants your permission to RUN THE INSTALL AGAIN. No explanation, no information on how it didn't work and if installing it a second time might fix the problem or indeed be creating a second copy eating disk space on the machine; nothing. Meanwhile, it breaks every other older game or mod I try to install. I turned it off an never looked back, but the fact that I can turn it off doesn't make it any less brain-dead of an implementation.

- When I open windows, it sometimes randomly decides to be fancy and customize it in some random, frustrating way. I was moving files to my mp3 player this morning and it turned some of my music collection into a music-type folder, meaning I couldn't see the fucking file sizes! Turning it back is confusing and frustrating, and I've yet to discover its criteria for when to pull this little trick out of its ass. One directory full of nothing but MP3s stays in detail view, while another full of nothing but MP3s is suddenly shittacular and useless.

- Certain actions can still grind the entire, quad-core system to a halt. Accidentally tried to open a shortcut to a folder on a server you have turned off? Enjoy waiting for 10 seconds, unable to click on anything!

- I hate the Games Explorer with a passion. For those unfamiliar with the idea, it's a special application that some newer games install their icon to instead of to the (perfectly functional) programs menu. So now, instead of a selection of program-specific options and links in an easily accessible little list on your start menu, you have to run a separate program and look for it there. The installers never tell you if it's going to stick the game in the explorer or the programs menu, so I always end up having to check both places the first time I boot up the game. To make things worse, these icons, despite essentially being glorified shortcuts, are missing several important features of shortcuts: you can't jump to the location they point to, and you can't modify their command line options. What's more, unlike most program menu entries, there's never a link to uninstall. And, to top it all off, trying to copy these shortcuts into a universal "games" directory makes a shortcut to the shortcut, rather than to the original.

Meanwhile, things that have needed to be fixed since Win 3.1 still suck:

- File copying remains an archaic and annoying procedure wherein you can leave the PC to do a large copy and return to find it's 10% done and waiting for a yes/no prompt.

- Starting a second copy still attempts to do both copies simultaneously instead of just queuing it after the transfer already being completed. Unless the two procedures are dealing with completely independent drives and/or network locations, file copying is NOT an area where you want to be multitasking!

- Windows still don't have a little box at the top to issue a command-line command. Five or six times a week I find myself typing "win-R, cmd" to do any of the hundreds of tasks that are unwieldy or impossible to accomplish with a mouse. Want to rename *.rar to old_*.rar? Sucks to be you, bitch; better get typin'!

- I still can't assign "sticky" processor affinity to applications without either a 3rd party program or an ugly CMD shortcut hack (and for those paying attention, the shortcut hack will of course not work for games that installed themselves in the games explorer). Given that older games freak right the fuck out in a multi-processor environment (SimCity 4 takes the whole PC with it when it crashes), this oversight for a gaming OS is unacceptable.

I could keep going, but it's all variations on a theme: pretty visuals, brain-dead design. I feel I should note that in terms of performance I've never really had any problems, but on a brand new Falcon a responsive OS isn't really surprising.

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    RoboJesusRoboJesus Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    Meh, I've used Vista, and have to troubleshoot it occasionally.

Navigating the Control Panel seems super redundant, and I end up going in circles a lot. Basic configuration is difficult because everything wants to be automated. Advanced configuration is difficult because it's all hidden behind annoying "Are you sure you want to do this" check boxes. It's prettier than XP though.

Overall, I find it annoying and unnecessary. I don't know why anyone would use it over XP, except, I guess DX10, which I have never seen in person.

RoboJesus on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Like XP, Vista just needs service pack tweaks. sp1 is already out and fixes a whole shitload of stuff. i'd imagine when 2 is out, just like XP, it will become the standard.

I remember when XP was criticized exactly like Vista is now. unstable, bug ridden. 'hey guys, stick with 98 it's all you ever need'.

In a couple of years we will move to Vista, noone will remember the troubled launch.

Heck, is it even troubled? last I heard Ms sold 100 million.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Really my only complaint with vista is the lack of backwards compatability. I find myself having to patch everything, whereas XP was fully compatable with pretty much all 95 programs.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    RooXRooX Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    RoboJesus wrote: »
    Meh, I've used Vista, and have to troubleshoot it occasionally.

Navigating the Control Panel seems super redundant, and I end up going in circles a lot. Basic configuration is difficult because everything wants to be automated. Advanced configuration is difficult because it's all hidden behind annoying "Are you sure you want to do this" check boxes. It's prettier than XP though.

Overall, I find it annoying and unnecessary. I don't know why anyone would use it over XP, except, I guess DX10, which I have never seen in person.

You can get it stop doing the security check pop-ups you know. Just disable UAC.

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm

use method #4 for ease.

RooX on
    Only dead fish swim downstream.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Like XP, Vista just needs service pack tweaks. sp1 is already out and fixes a whole shitload of stuff. i'd imagine when 2 is out, just like XP, it will become the standard.

I remember when XP was criticized exactly like Vista is now. unstable, bug ridden. 'hey guys, stick with 98 it's all you ever need'.

In a couple of years we will move to Vista, noone will remember the troubled launch.

Heck, is it even troubled? last I heard Ms sold 100 million.

I don't see why it wouldn't become the standard, especially when store bought computers ship with it, do they not? Those of us who build our computers are actually a minority in comparison to the whole. Of course, if we're talking about Vista becoming the standard, then perhaps it should be within that enthusiast minority.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I use Vista on my desktop and notebook, and I don't think I've had a single problem that hasn't been due to me putting the system under too much of a load or running programs that are inherently unstable (I'm a huge mod user for games) - then again, I built the desktop with high-end parts and only really use the notebook for work or browsing the net from bed, so I guess my case is nonstandard.

Honestly? It just works. If I want to play a game, or write a paper, or surf the net, or install some programs to perform some specific function, I can just get in there and do it and Vista will have pretty much no issue with it whatsoever. Sure, there are a few things that are a bit off-putting (especially for a former XP user) like the new control panal layout and the like, but I can skirt around those and get the settings to where I need it and get things done.

That sounds more like you got a machine from an extrordinarily shitty manufacturer than anything else. My notebook is an HP job but I did a crapload of research on the model before buying and it's served me faithfully.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My one problem with Vista was a MM (Microsoft Mystery!):

About three months into owning the machine it decided to join two networks on every bootup - mine and some phantom non-network. This made both unusable until the adapter was disabled then re-enabled.

In accordance to the strategy for solving an MM I just left it alone until it stopped doing it roughly three weeks later.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I bought Vista when it first came out (Vista Ultimate 64bit) and at the time it had a unimaginable amount of problems. After maybe a month or so once they release a few updates, it was working fine.

The only issue I have currently is that when I try to launch a game or program, it screams at me that a .dll file is missing but then runs fine after that. I can go and download the missing .dll files and stick them in the system folder my self, so its not that big of a deal - annoying but that's about it.

So yea, don't really have any problems with Vista. I would consider it and XP as my two favorite OS's, but the only thing I can suggest is don't get the 64bit versions unless you really need them.

Loathing on
  • Options
    Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've had vista since we had to change out the family computer and I now have it on my personal laptop. Well, personaly, I've only had 2 BSODs, one per computer and I had constant crashes with XP.

But yeah, it was the same problems MS had when introduing XP if I remember correctly.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I switched back to XP because I was tired of UAC and my inabilit yto install smaller or older games.

But I liked everything else Vista brought to the table.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif