As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Virtual Console controllers vs Super Mario World

CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
OK, so I decided to take the plunge and buy a few games for the Nintendo Wii's Virtual Console.

Picked up Toejam & Earl: awesome as I remembered it. Decided to get Lylat Wars too; it's aged nicely. Zelda: Link to the past; couldn't get into it for some reason (even though I love the other Zelda's, including Link's Awakening).

But today, ladies and gentlemen, I am here to bitch about Super Mario World. The game itself is awesome (the only Snes game I used to play at my dad's house when I was younger), but my gripe is with the controls. I'd been using a Gamecube pad for all the other games I'd downloaded and had encountered no problems, but when playing Super Mario World I discovered...

...the button layout sucked balls. The game was a chore to play, having to hold the pad awkwardly in order to run and jump normally. It doesn't seem like there's anyway to change the button configuration (which is pretty annoying), so it seems like if I wanted to play the game properly I need to splash out more cash for a classic controller.

I do appreciate it was considerate of Nintendo to allow players to use Gamecube pads in the first place, but is there a way to change the button configuration for controllers whilst using the Virtual Console?

Feel free to mention gaming experiences that have been tarnished by having to use the annoying default button configuration on the Gamecube pad.

In conclusion; Toejam & Earl is balls to the wall awesome.

WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
Cliffjumper on

• Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Nintendo doesn't let you remap the controls because they hate you. Classic controller is really your only option for SNES.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Get a Classic Controller.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Feel free to mention gaming experiences that have been tarnished by having to use the annoying default button configuration on the Gamecube pad.

Contra III
    Contra III
    Contra III
    Contra III

Did I mention Contra III yet?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Encountered this exact same problem myself. It's pretty infuriating.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    forbis316forbis316 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I had the same problem. Buy a classic controller.

It's Super Mario World. It's worth it.

forbis316 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If it's any consolation the classic controller is really good.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GibbGibb Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I beat world no problem with the Wavebird.

DKC was sort of challenging.

Super Metroid though, even with remappable buttons, is not enjoyable.

Plus if you're a true american hero you can get your hands on the Super Famicom Classic Controller.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DKC2 annoyed me greatly due to this.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I actually had a question about this.

A few weeks ago I tried to play Legend of the Mystical Ninja on the VC with my friend, but couldn't get the thing to recognize my GC controllers at all. Although it ended well enough (we just played River City Ransom instead with my two Wii remotes), I don't understand what happened.

So, is there something special that has to be done for VC games to recognize GC controllers? Was it because I tried to use a Classic controller and a GC controller at the same time?

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I actually was fine with Super Metroid on the GC controller.
    Much more so than World.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I learned this with Contra III as well. Nintendo wouldn't sell many classic controllers if they didn't advertently bungle up the button layouts for GC controllers.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Gibb wrote: »

That'd be sweet if they weren't just as expensive as a classic controller.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I agree, SMW is terrible with the GCN controller.

So what I did was buy a VC Classic Controller, and I do not regret it.

Although I think there is a third party VC controller that lets you remap the buttons on the controller itself, outside of the system.

slash000 on
  • Options
    CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

Although I think there is a third party VC controller that lets you remap the buttons on the controller itself, outside of the system.

Hmm, I'll look into buying a classic controller.

No one I know with a Wii has one though, never had a chance to get to grips with one. But you guys seem to be givin it good praise all round.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • Options
    Johnny_MnemonicJohnny_Mnemonic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, most SNES games are terrible with a Gamecube pad, and not just due to the button layout. The Gamecube's D-pad makes my face leak corrosive saltwater, and analog sticks suck for sidescrollers, which is what many of the best SNES games are. The Classic controller kicks ass, but my main issue with it is that you can't remap the buttons. With NES games, A and B actually map to A and B, rather than B and Y which would make more sense from an ergonomics standpoint, and this means that the NES Mario games are awkward and play inconsistently next to the SNES ones. I actually prefer the sideways Wiimote for NES games for this reason and this reason alone.

Johnny_Mnemonic on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The GCN's dpad is fine. It's the same one on the GBA. I have massive basketball palming hands, and I find the pad perfectly useable, unlike the PSX line or the 360's pad.

I feel bad for anyone playing retro games on either PSN (yeah right) or XBLA.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

Hmm, I'll look into buying a classic controller.

No one I know with a Wii has one though, never had a chance to get to grips with one. But you guys seem to be givin it good praise all round.

I like it a lot, personally, but some people's complaints are that it feels too "light." I don't get it that complaint so much. But the other complaint is the shoulder buttons, which are kind of triggers like the GCN pad, so while that's never bothered me in any game, some people would've preferred normal buttons. The sticks are okay, but you have to hold them with the tips of your thumbs, rather than the fat part of your thumb, because they're pretty close together. It works pretty well; I play a lot of GeoWars Galaxies.

Anyway, it's a better bet, I'd say, than getting adaptors->GCN ports for every controller.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, most SNES games are terrible with a Gamecube pad, and not just due to the button layout. The Gamecube's D-pad makes my face leak corrosive saltwater, and analog sticks suck for sidescrollers, which is what many of the best SNES games are. The Classic controller kicks ass, but my main issue with it is that you can't remap the buttons. With NES games, A and B actually map to A and B, rather than B and Y which would make more sense from an ergonomics standpoint, and this means that the NES Mario games are awkward and play inconsistently next to the SNES ones. I actually prefer the sideways Wiimote for NES games for this reason and this reason alone.

Yeah, a sideways Wiimote actually feels perfect for NES games, and it's nice not having to dongle-ize.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't really like the classic controller. My friend brought one over once, and it wasn't really comfortable to use.

Edit: And yeah, the shoulder buttons were terrible.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah SMW was a bitch with the gamecube controller. Ended up having to hold it with my right hand over it like I was playing an arcade game. Classic controller is such an improvement. Using the Gamecube controller I couldn't finish DKC2, and in Super Metroid I was stuck at Ridley. Couldn't even come close to beating him. Tried with classic controller and I beat him first go.
    Then cruised through to the end of DKC2. True story.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ArceusArceus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't understand why people don't get the GBA version instead. It's superior in every way, and portable to boot. So basically utter perfection.

Arceus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Arceus wrote: »
    I don't understand why people don't get the GBA version instead. It's superior in every way, and portable to boot. So basically utter perfection.

Personally, I'd rather sit back on my nice comfy sofa and play a game on a decent-sized TV than hunched over a 3 inch LCD, but I can definitely see the appeal to a portable version. Also, I probably stand alone here, but Charles Martinet as Mario pisses me off and having his voiceovers cut from Mario 64 slapped into the GBA version was really distracting to me.

Johnny_Mnemonic on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Cohsae wrote: »
    Yeah SMW was a bitch with the gamecube controller. Ended up having to hold it with my right hand over it like I was playing an arcade game. Classic controller is such an improvement. Using the Gamecube controller I couldn't finish DKC2, and in Super Metroid I was stuck at Ridley. Couldn't even come close to beating him. Tried with classic controller and I beat him first go.

A lot of people don't seem to realize this, but Super Metroid has completely configurable controls. It's one of the few Super Nintendo games that is perfectly fine on the GC controller due to this.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Arceus wrote: »

How is the GBA version better, besides being portable?

Also, while I enjoy the portable iterations of these games, sometimes I do also want to play on a large screen without having to have a Gameboy Player (which I do not)

slash000 on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The GBA version had a number of changes/enhancements:

Score limit was raised to 99 million
    Life limit was raised to 999
    Upon beating the game, you unlocked a "select stage" feature that let you instantly go to any location in the game
    Ability to play as Luigi (which sucked, I'll be honest.. the level design doesn't fit his floaty jumps)
    Game tracked your clear time
    Dragon coins were added into every stage, bonus unlockable by collecting them all (they turn into princess coins)
    Fall season change was moved to unlocking all stage paths, instead of just beating special
    Shitty voiceovers added (can't win 'em all)

There's also a few bugfixes and a bunch of other minor tweaks. Like, the graphics don't glitch out when you receive a 5-up.

Edit: It also had the Mario Bros. game (like, the arcade one with jumping bees and stuff) packaged with it, but I think all the Super Mario Advance series games had that.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

A lot of people don't seem to realize this, but Super Metroid has completely configurable controls. It's one of the few Super Nintendo games that is perfectly fine on the GC controller due to this.

Not completely configurable. Aiming up and down can for some reason only be bound to the shoulder buttons, which is somewhat annoying when you want R to be run.

What is it that some people have against using the stick for SNES games? I had no problems playing Super Metroid using the stick.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The classic controller rules for 16-bit games, the Remote on it's side rules for 8-bit games, but even the GC pad isn't great for N64 games. I had some major problems trying to figure out how to control Starfox 64 on that thing.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2008
    Personally, I'd rather sit back on my nice comfy sofa
    Because a GBA requires you to hang from a tree branch or something? The whole point is that you can play it everywhere, including your stupid sofa.

Opium on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Opium wrote: »
    Personally, I'd rather sit back on my nice comfy sofa
    Because a GBA requires you to hang from a tree branch or something? The whole point is that you can play it everywhere, including your stupid sofa.
    but I can definitely see the appeal to a portable version.

Also, while I can play it on my sofa, I still have to either be hunched down over the screen or holding it up in my face. Your mileage may vary, but it's easier for me to relax and get comfortable while playing a console game.

Johnny_Mnemonic on
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Unless you're like me and really like to use the D-pad for the old games. Then the GC controller is a little awkward. The D-pad is so tiny.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I actually had a question about this.

A few weeks ago I tried to play Legend of the Mystical Ninja on the VC with my friend, but couldn't get the thing to recognize my GC controllers at all. Although it ended well enough (we just played River City Ransom instead with my two Wii remotes), I don't understand what happened.

So, is there something special that has to be done for VC games to recognize GC controllers? Was it because I tried to use a Classic controller and a GC controller at the same time?

I'm pretty sure Mystical Ninja tells you that it requires a classic controller to play it when you download.

DaSniper91 on
  • Options
    Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    So you guys are mad because a controller designed for a last generation system doesn't have a good button layout for your three generation old games on your current generation system?

The classic controller is everywhere. This is what it is meant for. Stop whining.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I played and beat Super mario world with the GC controller.

The button layout isn't that bad.

Rotam on
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    On eBay there are a good few SNES Classic Controllers - limited edition gifts made for Club Nintendo in Japan. It's an exact replica of the SNES controller and attaches to the Wii remote. And is so, so good.

snesvcheader.jpg

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I've had the same problems. Nintendo tends to take things a bit too literally when they're mapping controller buttons; it happens with the DS as well when playing GBA games.

In addition, the Classic has its own issues; playing Super Mario 64 was a little bothersome, since I couldn't place my thumbs on it as I did on the N64, as the B and A buttons are moved over and turned upward.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So you guys are mad because a controller designed for a last generation system doesn't have a good button layout for your three generation old games on your current generation system even though Nintendo would need to take about sixty seconds per game to remap buttons to "something that doesn't suck a fat man's short hairy cock" and it would greatly improve the playability?

The classic controller is everywhere. This is what it is meant for. Stop whining.

Something makes me think you've never played any of the aforementioned games on original hardware or VC, also see bold text.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Vulpine wrote: »
    eBay
    limited edition
    Japan

I'm sure they're reasonably priced as well </sarcasm>

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    eBay
    limited edition
    Japan

Actually, they are. I have one and i costed me only a little more than an actual classic controller. And they're nice as hell.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    eBay
    limited edition
    Japan

Actually, they are. I have one and i costed me only a little more than an actual classic controller. And they're nice as hell.

Well fuck me. What's the button-mapping setup vs. the classic? Identical names, SNES locations?

PeregrineFalcon on