Options

"You will soon have your God.." The Deus Ex 3 thread!

• Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hmm, well now the youtube notation says its not going to be a prequel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkXCE8CkNZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD4xq7HpW-k

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    dr0neboy wrote: »
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    major_tom wrote: »
    I really need to re-play DX1, haven't played it in years! The only problem is to where to get a hold of it :(

You've got to be kidding me.

Steam and gametap's marketing departments should be ashamed that this man exists. Ashamed, I say!

Well, Gametap only works in the US or Canada but this might be a reason for me to actually start using steam... Dunno while I haven't done it already, maybe because I haven't played a PC game I didn't really own the last few years (excluding Spore Creature Creator).

Steam is absolutely fantastic these days, I highly recommend it. Shit......I'm going to re-install Deus Ex now again, aren't I?

I seem to remember someone working on a texture upgrade for the game, did that ever complete?

Is FFIV available on Steam? In that case it's a done deal. Also I use Windows 2003 Server, will that be a problem?

You know, what's funny is that I listed gametap as an option for you even though I know full well its unavailable outside the US and Canada, and I'm in the UK and your location clearly states stockholm :P.

In any case, steam works perfectly. There's not much to say about it, really. You grab the installer from valve (can't find it as i'm at work...) you install, buy and play. simple as. And there are an absolute shitload of games available now, one of which is Deus Ex. There's no commitment or subscription or anything.

I'm not sure about 2003 compatibility. I'll tentatively say that you'll probably be OK.

By FFIV do you mean...Final Fantasy IV? Freedom fighters? Freedom force?

cause I doubt Final Fantasy is going to be available on steam anytime soon...

There's even an option to burn your games to disc if you're fussy about backups.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    dr0neboydr0neboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    major_tom wrote: »
    You know, what's funny is that I listed gametap as an option for you even though I know full well its unavailable outside the US and Canada, and I'm in the UK and your location clearly states stockholm :P.

In any case, steam works perfectly. There's not much to say about it, really. You grab the installer from valve (can't find it as i'm at work...) you install, buy and play. simple as. And there are an absolute shitload of games available now, one of which is Deus Ex. There's no commitment or subscription or anything.

I'm not sure about 2003 compatibility. I'll tentatively say that you'll probably be OK.

By FFIV do you mean...Final Fantasy IV? Freedom fighters? Freedom force?

cause I doubt Final Fantasy is going to be available on steam anytime soon...

There's even an option to burn your games to disc if you're fussy about backups.

Heh.

I meant Final Fantasy but I had a feeling my hopes were far fetched. Well, I'll have to check out Steam anway won't I, seeing how it will be the only way to re-play Deux Ex. Thanks for the info though!

dr0neboy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ListerfiendListerfiend Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    deus ex 3? how did i not know about this until now? i can't wait!

Listerfiend on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think it's time we rehash, rebump, and reinstall the original Deus Ex and have ourselves a blast.

Completed thus far:
    - Realistic difficulty
    - No (direct) kills (MJ12 troopers and MIB's suiciding after being tranq'd or KOed? Not my fault.)
    - Melee only (oh hi, I upgraded my Dragon's Tooth)

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    natxcrossnatxcross Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Don't forget the Shifter mod if you're reinstalling.

natxcross on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Iriah wrote: »
    In the good ending you make the humanity a hive mind, or at least approach that state of being.
    I always just kind of viewed it that all the endings were bad, that you either changed humanity so much it was no longer human or you horribly oppressed them. It gave kind of a bleak ending to the game, the message being humans either needed controlling or changing, that they couldn't just be humans.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    natxcross wrote: »

I'd suggest at least one playthrough in vanilla mode as well - before or after Shiftering, I don't care - just to see how much of the Suck gets removed with it. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That link to the HDTP made me look up that group's other project, The Nameless Mod: http://thenamelessmod.com/

They're in closed beta as of last week apparently. Could it be that a highly ambitious Deus Ex mod will actually be completed?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    harvest wrote: »
    Please don't suck.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, this gives me a good reason to play through 1 and 2 again. I don't remember a goddamn thing about the story for either of them.

Trevor on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man man man. I am excited. I played the demo of Deus Ex so often that by the time I got the full game I had done every single thing you could on that island. Then when I got the full game I played to completion five or six times. All headshots, all nonviolent, all hand-to-hand, fewest alerted enemies, lowest shots fired... ah man. Such an awesome game.

This had better be even better or I will go to Eidos and teach them lessons.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I tried playing through Deus Ex. It hasn't aged well.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I'd suggest at least one playthrough in vanilla mode as well - before or after Shiftering, I don't care - just to see how much of the Suck gets removed with it. :P

It'd have to be before. I'm never going back - I needs my Magnum! :D

natxcross on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Meiz wrote: »

[strike]YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH[/strike] Good sir, I disagree.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

It'd have to be before. I'm never going back - I needs my Magnum! :D

Pssh, no melee-only run, no care.

Also, UTGLR/DXGLR from this guy; not sure if it works on Steam or not as I've got the retail disc.
    http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I was on liberty island a few years back and was surprised to see that in deus ex it feels about 3 times as large as the real thing.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    ArvoArvo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The game could be good, but that trailer for it sure did suck.

Arvo on
    Vertro.png
    5090509oKRAv.png<<<Links to Armory
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

You're the first person I have ever heard say that. Did you play through it when it was new, or did you miss that boat and try to go back? I am sure the Nostalgia bumps you along through the dated Graphics and the knowledge of all the awesome that lays before you.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Also, UTGLR/DXGLR from this guy; not sure if it works on Steam or not as I've got the retail disc.

I am tempted by a melee-only run... But I'm already into a ruthless slaughter run. The flamethrower is rather handy against NSF guys. And the homeless.

natxcross on
  • Options
    TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

You're the first person I have ever heard say that. Did you play through it when it was new, or did you miss that boat and try to go back? I am sure the Nostalgia bumps you along through the dated Graphics and the knowledge of all the awesome that lays before you.

I first played Deus Ex years after it came out. It was pretty dated looking by then too but I still loved the shit out of it. At least play until you've gotten to UNATCO headquarters. If the game doesn't take off for you then, you're a soulless monster.

Deus Ex is my favorite game of all time. I hope they do this one right, the trailer does seem to have lots of hidden meanings so maybe they're treating the game right and focusing on what made Deus Ex so awesome: the story.

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Does the shifter mod work if you download the game through steam? I need to purchase this game again since I can't find my install disk.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I am tempted by a melee-only run... But I'm already into a ruthless slaughter run. The flamethrower is rather handy against NSF guys. And the homeless.

I should try a "shoot on sight" run, where everyone that isn't invincible for script reasons has to die as soon as possible. (I spent so much time trying to kill Gunther in the subway the first time I played the game.)

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    kuhlmeye wrote: »
    Does the shifter mod work if you download the game through steam? I need to purchase this game again since I can't find my install disk.

Apparently it can, but only if you replace the exe file with a non-Steam one - like the one in the last (v1.112) patch, for example. (That's according to here, anyway.)

natxcross on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Nostalgia just doesn't have anything to do with it really.

I played this for the first time maybe two years ago and thought it was the shit. Now I've succumbed to Deus Ex Addiction Syndrome. I had to replay it two months ago when someone mentioned it. That music in the trailer made me want to reinstall it again.

Deus Ex is like some horrible drug that never lets go.

Daxon on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Having played through all of Deus Ex for my first time a few months ago, I have to agree. The interface while not crippling certainly irritated me, the graphics were pretty terribad, and the game kind of began to drag midway through Hong Kong. I mean, the underwater base segment for example could have been completely cut and I don't think anything of value would have been lost.

I did not dislike the game, but I didn't find it particularly wonderful either.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well the textures won't even load properly on my 8800GT. When I start seeing garbaged articles on the floor, it's kind of hard for me to immerse myself.

Meiz on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hong Kong is generally regarded by fans as the best segment of the game.

I played it for the first time a couple of years ago and there were parts I had to take a break, I was so joyously enamored with the storytelling. It's a truly remarkable and intelligent game.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Daxon wrote: »

Nostalgia just doesn't have anything to do with it really.

I played this for the first time maybe two years ago and thought it was the shit. Now I've succumbed to Deus Ex Addiction Syndrome. I had to replay it two months ago when someone mentioned it. That music in the trailer made me want to reinstall it again.

Deus Ex is like some horrible drug that never lets go.

Good to know I'm not the only one.

got Zyme?

If you're having graphical glitches, try the UTGLR/DXGLR renderer I linked. This game was based on the UT engine, from back in the day where your options for 3D were generally "3dfx GLide" or "Software Rendering" :P

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    GibbGibb Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Gibb wrote: »

On Topic (Maybe?) :

I Wanted
    orange.jpg

It gave me
    LemonLime.gif

I'm pretty certain that's a satsuma dude.

Oh and if you were interested in Snatcher, you might be interested in this mod. Not sure whether it'll ever get anywhere, but the initial stuff looks quite good.

Yeah I've seen that. (Woot, good thing I upgraded my computer.) Sadly that seems like a HUGE project, and I won't get my hopes up.

Gibb on
  • Options
    ogcam777ogcam777 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    harvest wrote: »
    It's all citrus in the end.

Saved by the buoyancy of citrus.

ogcam777 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GibbGibb Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Having played through all of Deus Ex for my first time a few months ago, I have to agree. The interface while not crippling certainly irritated me, the graphics were pretty terribad, and the game kind of began to drag midway through Hong Kong. I mean, the underwater base segment for example could have been completely cut and I don't think anything of value would have been lost.

I disagree completely, never have I played an FPS that gave me so much choice. (I played it for the first time in 2007.) If someone could improve the graphics and ui, it would be perfect.

Gibb on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Gibb wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »

I disagree completely, never have I played an FPS that gave me so much choice. (I played it for the first time in 2007.) If someone could improve the graphics and ui, it would be perfect.

Perhaps it was the interface/UI, but I didn't find actually PLAYING the game to be that much fun. Not bad, but not good either. The freedom offered/choices I could make could only redeem the game so much.

Being disenchanted with the gameplay+long as fuck game was another bad combination.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I got the free "Game of the Year" addition from Gametap, and plan on starting soon. Any tips or things to look out for?

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    SpeedySwaf wrote: »
    I got the free "Game of the Year" addition from Gametap, and plan on starting soon. Any tips or things to look out for?

Be patient; scout around and look for alternative solutions. You've got a greater freedom to solve your problems than most FPS games typically provide.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

When you get offered your choice of initial weaponry, take the GEP gun. Yes, it's huge at 4x2 inventory, but you can pick up the other two weapons in the first mission anyways, and it's always nice. Even if you don't plan to kill anyone/anything with it, you can blast open doors rather than playing Find The Keycard.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    interceptintercept Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    wabbiteh wrote: »
    Hasn't this teaser been around for 8 months or so?

Not to rag on the thread or anything, it just seems odd to bring it back up with no new info.

I know the website officially launched not too long ago. Thought I'd get the ball rolling with a thread.

intercept on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

When you get offered your choice of initial weaponry, take the GEP gun. Yes, it's huge at 4x2 inventory, but you can pick up the other two weapons in the first mission anyways, and it's always nice. Even if you don't plan to kill anyone/anything with it, you can blast open doors rather than playing Find The Keycard.

I always took the crossbow. My playstyle was largely to avoid everyone as much as possible and stealth my way up there. Personally I found that when I really wanted one there was usually a GEP gun around somewhere. I kept hold of it near the end, but largely for the convenience of taking down bots and opening doors. Because you know, keys are fiddly.

In the end it really depends on your playstyle. That goes a lot for the augmentations and skills as well. I would recommend having hacking at at least level 1. If you keep it at level 1 that's probably fine for the most part, but I recommend getting good at speed reading. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Oh Geppy, how I love thee.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I reinstalled it and played through the training. I forgot how awesome this game was. I would love to see this game with the High Resolutions. Great controls, full voice over work, great graphics for it's time, and it makes you think.

I will def. be enjoying this new play through.

DrunkMc on