As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Honor: who needs it?

QinguQingu Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Let's talk about honor.

By honor, I mean something different than trust, which I think is a very good thing. Instead, what I mean by honor is the kind of thing that John McCain brags about: not giving up for the good of the cause. John McCain is "honorable" because he willingly went through years of torture instead of betraying his cause to become a propoganda piece for the Viet Cong.

Similarly, Muqtada al-Sadr was invoking honor when he promised to "fight the occupation until the last drop of his blood" (I've forgotten the exact quote). Mel Gibson's character in Braveheart was acting honorably when he refused to give in under torture, screaming "Freedom!!!" or some shit instead. Fighting to the very end is honorable. Surrendering is not honorable—unless you're allowed to surrender "with honor," which is another way of saying "saving face."

So why on earth do people value honor? It seems to me that the world would be a much better place if there were less stubborn fucks with an inflated importance of preserving their honor. Imagine if Muqtada al-Sadr was actually as honorable as he made himself out to be, and really did fight the Americans until his last drop of blood—Iraq would be an even bigger shithole than it is now. The refusal to give up the fight on principle is probably the main reason why Palestinians and Israelis can't get along. Japenese samurai would skewer themselves after their master died for honor's sake.

What's notable about all these examples is that the people honorably fighting and sacrificing their lives aren't even doing so to defend other people from dying—they're doing it to defend ideas, or to uphold cultural codes.

I hereby contend that cowardice is better than honor. If you're fighting an overwhelmingly superior force and you don't want to get painfully shot or killed, give up! If you're getting tortured, say whatever they want you to say on TV! Everyone knows you're just saying it under duress anyway. Refusing to give up and fighting until your last drop of blood often creates more problems than it helps prevent—not to mention giving certain presidential candidates a hollow but shiny pedigree to brag about. Let's throw "honor" in the same pile of trash as "faith"—these virtues are obselete in today's world.

Qingu on

• Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I guess I've never thought of honor in exactly the way you define it here. Honor is sort of a general measure of personal integrity - including honesty, strength of character, other virtues - but as determined by some defined system or moral structure in the culture to make it less subjective. You need to be sure you've lost it so you'll know when to commit seppuku or hegh'bat or whatever. Absent that rigid set of rules for determining honor, the term becomes not much more than a rhetorical device to highlight other virtues, to wrap them in some semblance of institutionality.

As for whether it's better to fight on in the face of impossible odds or hold out under torture: there's no one answer to that question. The trouble we have as a culture in deciding what's a virtue and what's a vice is that even the best virtues are going to be pointless in some situations. But if our definition of virtue is too subtle, too complex, or too context-sensitive people won't be able to internalize it. If our only two options are "never betray what you believe in" and "always betray what you believe in" - and since rules like this have to be simple to be effective, those might actually be our only options - I guess I'd pick the former.

In situations where sticking to your principles brings you nothing but long-term misery, maybe you should examine the principles themselves instead of whether or not it's okay to abandon principles in general.

darthmix on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, now that i've read darthmix's post... what he said. I'll just spoiler my response since it's quite similar and was basically where I was going... but prettier.
    Somehow I feel like every instance of honor in the OP could be replaced with "integrity" and all the stuff that McCain is talking about could make sense. I would define integrity as holding on to your beliefs/principles even through times of adversity. This could easily be confused with stubbornness or hard-headedness but really that's all subjective.

If I had to take a stab at what honor is I'd have to call it a mixture of things somewhere between virtue, integrity and loyalty/trustworthiness.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    In most of these cases, there's an element of self-sacrifice. Giving up your personal safety to defend other people is part of what we deem honorable. McCain didn't give up information so that the information couldn't be used to ambush and kill other soldiers. Soldiers fighting against overwhelming odds did so because giving up would mean giving up on their family at home that they're defending.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Qingu wrote: »
    I hereby contend that cowardice is better than honor.

Worf from Star Trek disagrees with you.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Worf is a guy on a TV show with a baboon-ass for a head.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I guess, to be more clear, that I'm talking about sticking to your principles when threatened.

I think this virtue is obselete. If someone held a gun to my head and told me to pray to Jesus or he'd shoot, I'd pray my black little atheist heart out. This doesn't mean I wouldn't seek justice, later, from a position of safety, against the person who illegally threatened me. But I fail to see what sticking to principles for the sake of principles accomplishes. It seems a vestige of an older era where the principles defined and held together a physical community, often against hostile forces.

Of course, even in these older eras "honor" or "integrity" seems pretty stupid. The Hannukah story, for example, centers around Judah Macabee, who refused to bow down to the state Greek idols and decided to head a violent revolt instead. What a fucking asshole.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    Worf is a guy on a TV show with a baboon-ass for a head.

If you were any other man I would kill you were you stand!

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    To me honor is a lot about honesty, integrity and willingness to stand up for what you believe in. That is not to say I think standing torture is honorable or fighting to the last drop of blood is honorable. To use war as an example, an 18th century general who marches his army to the field of battle to line up and exchange gunfire is no more honorable then someone waging a guerilla campaign terrorising civillians.

Honor is being misused a lot, my best example would be a code of chivalry that old knightly orders lived by, that is to say risking personal safety for guts and glory in tournaments and accepting a surrender by your defeated opponent, defending the realm etc.

I don't think honor can be applied many things in the modern day. A soldier defending his country in Iraq is not honorable, he's a patriot. John McCain enduring torture for years is not honorable, he is a prisoner of war who feels his duty to his country is stronger then his sense of self-preservation, again, a patriot.

Someone who I would attribute honor in today's world would be an incorruptible judge who gives his all to the rule of law, ocasionally bending it if he feels a person is wronged (this would be one such case) who does what he does to better society or a poor african fisher who sacrifices his profit in order to provide affordable food to his community.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    In most of these cases, there's an element of self-sacrifice. Giving up your personal safety to defend other people is part of what we deem honorable. McCain didn't give up information so that the information couldn't be used to ambush and kill other soldiers.

didn't McCain actually break under torture?
    http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/11/29/100012.shtml

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    In most of these cases, there's an element of self-sacrifice. Giving up your personal safety to defend other people is part of what we deem honorable. McCain didn't give up information so that the information couldn't be used to ambush and kill other soldiers. Soldiers fighting against overwhelming odds did so because giving up would mean giving up on their family at home that they're defending.
    In McCain's case, I don't think other people's lives were actually at stake. They were just going to use him for propoganda.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    n mid-1968, McCain's father was named commander of all U.S. forces in the Vietnam theater, and McCain was offered early release. The North Vietnamese made that offer because they wanted to appear merciful for propaganda purposes, and also wanted to show other POWs that elites like McCain were willing to be treated preferentially. McCain turned down the offer of repatriation; he would only accept the offer if every man taken in before him was released as well.

In August 1968, a program of severe torture began on McCain.He was subjected to rope bindings and repeated beatings every two hours, at the same time as he was suffering from dysentery. Further injuries led to the beginning of a suicide attempt, which was stopped by guards. After four days, McCain made an anti-American propaganda "confession". He has always felt that his statement was dishonorable, but as he would later write, "I had learned what we all learned over there: Every man has his breaking point. I had reached mine."

My reaction to this isn't "what a great man, he helped save his comrades"—it's more "what a stubborn dipshit, I pity him for going through all that for nothing."

Obviously, avoiding torture to save your own hide when it will lead to the deaths of your friends is another issue.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    In most of these cases, there's an element of self-sacrifice. Giving up your personal safety to defend other people is part of what we deem honorable. McCain didn't give up information so that the information couldn't be used to ambush and kill other soldiers.

Anyone would break under torture, I don't hold it against him. I wouldn't last half a day, if that.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think this issue is one of trust. Specifically trusting people to act in a way you can predict based on their past statements and actions. Obviously in the extreme case where your life is on the line, doing something dishonorable makes perfect sense. Slightly less dishonorable things (like stealing a friend's girlfriend, etc.) are a good way to judge people.

If someone's constantly preaching how "honorable" they are and all thet jazz, or even just keeps up a quiet facade of the importance of honor, its important to see if they stick to their belief set when times aren't ideal. But, there is a line like you suggest. Seeing examples of where that line is (or isn't) is also important.

Cauld on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Cauld wrote: »
    I think this issue is one of trust. Specifically trusting people to act in a way you can predict based on their past statements and actions. Obviously in the extreme case where your life is on the line, doing something dishonorable makes perfect sense. Slightly less dishonorable things (like stealing a friend's girlfriend, etc.) are a good way to judge people.

Not to derail here, but why the fuck do people always assign ownership to former girlfriends. You broke up, get the fuck over it. This shit just pisses me off because I see so many great people lose friendships or miss out on a great relationship because they're worried about an ex.

Edit: To clarify, I oppose sleeping around, but if you break off the relationship honestly beforehand with the intention of getting together with someone else I don't see a problem.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Cauld wrote: »

Not to derail here, but why the fuck do people always assign ownership to former girlfriends. You broke up, get the fuck over it. This shit just pisses me off because I see so many great people lose friendships or miss out on a great relationship because they're worried about an ex.

I didn't say ex-girlfriend, but your point is well taken and wasn't based on personal experience. I was just looking for something generally considered "dishonorable" but not so extreme.

Cauld on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think this virtue is obselete.
    I disagree, but I don't think that virtues have to be sourced from the divine to mean something to me.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I guess, to be more clear, that I'm talking about sticking to your principles when threatened.

I think this virtue is obselete. If someone held a gun to my head and told me to pray to Jesus or he'd shoot, I'd pray my black little atheist heart out. This doesn't mean I wouldn't seek justice, later, from a position of safety, against the person who illegally threatened me. But I fail to see what sticking to principles for the sake of principles accomplishes. It seems a vestige of an older era where the principles defined and held together a physical community, often against hostile forces.

Of course, even in these older eras "honor" or "integrity" seems pretty stupid. The Hannukah story, for example, centers around Judah Macabee, who refused to bow down to the state Greek idols and decided to head a violent revolt instead. What a fucking asshole.

Obviously the concept of what is honorable has changed over the years. But that's because what people value as important has changed accordingly. Maybe a hardcore fundie (really hardcore) would refuse to pray to Satan when they have a gun to their head because that would ultimately damn them in the eyes of God. Same for Judah Macabee. What's the point of compromising to save yourself now when it means eternal damnation for praying to false idols.

This is all based around my view of "principles" as essentially being equivalent to what you think would make the world around you the best it can be. I really don't think there's anyone sane with principles that they don't think will produce this result. For example no one out there is morally opposed to the color blue.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Eh. Honor seems like trying to justify that the world isn't as corrupt as it truly is, and that you're better for taking a stand, when in reality you're just fucking yourself or letting yourself get fucked in the ass while playing The Game.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hereby contend that cowardice is better than honor. If you're fighting an overwhelmingly superior force and you don't want to get painfully shot or killed, give up!....
    Refusing to give up and fighting until your last drop of blood often creates more problems than it helps prevent—not to mention giving certain presidential candidates a hollow but shiny pedigree to brag about. Let's throw "honor" in the same pile of trash as "faith"—these virtues are obselete in today's world.

if you're fighting an overwhelmingly superior force, evolve your tactics. I'm in agreement that dying for "honor" is silly, but if the alternative is giving up, dying may have some merit(if you'd like me to put it into context, uprisings during the Ottoman empire were pretty much worthless with regards of gaining independence, but did an excellent job in aiding Russia for more than one casus beli ). So, I don't think that specific choice is a dichotomy.
    If you're getting tortured, say whatever they want you to say on TV!
    Everyone knows you're just saying it under duress anyway.

Again not sure it's that simple. It's quiet easy to think of situations where the ability to actually disregard personal life & well being may save a shitload of goods/lives. Not sure we'd call the quality that holds the individual in such a case "honor" though.

Edit:
    I think this virtue is obselete. If someone held a gun to my head and told me to pray to Jesus or he'd shoot, I'd pray my black little atheist heart out. This doesn't mean I wouldn't seek justice, later, from a position of safety, against the person who illegally threatened me.

I believe that example disregards a situation where the "law" is against you as well as the guy with the gun. In a future society, we may not have such a problem, but nowadays, the ability set an example with personal sacrifice can still buy you credit with a lot of crowds in the world;o(

PS: I'm also totally going to be praying....

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So it's better to be a coward? That's interesting.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

The point of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other poor bastard die for his.
    -Paton

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I think this virtue is obselete.

Change your mind or I'll call you mean names.

No?

Hmmmmm.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Honour is a word dishonest people use to describe themselves and their friends.

Azio on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You can't have honor killings without first having honor!

I don't think that's a ringing endorsement of honor. D:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    Honour is a word dishonest people use to describe themselves and their friends.

So is honest.

That doesn't say anything about the core concept of honesty, either.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

The point of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other poor bastard die for his.
    -Paton

That was also the man that got in deep shit and reassigned for abusing a subordinate for having PTSD and not wanting to fight.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Probably but at least "honest" has an actual definition, whereas "honour" is just a buzzword for "this guy is trustworthy, trust me"

Azio on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

-Paton

That was also the man that got in deep shit and reassigned for abusing a subordinate for having PTSD and not wanting to fight.

Yes, and that's the difference between retreating when the odds are against you and cowering under a bed.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    You can't have honor killings without first having honor!

I don't think that's a ringing endorsement of honor. D:

But it all comes back to what you think is best for the people that matter for you, doesn't it? These people, however perversely, believe that keeping their family pure from love marriages and dirty influences is best for their family. And by eliminating the people who are bringing those influences into your family, you are protecting those who you feel are uncorrupted.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    Probably but at least "honest" has an actual definition, whereas "honour" is just a buzzword for "this guy is trustworthy, trust me"

Did you get your words confused or something? "Honor" is usually a quality one gains through actions, not by recommendations.

zeeny on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Honor... it's so easily corrupted. So easily perverted. It's been used to justify the most depraved actions by the strong and been a yoke on the necks of the weak in every culture and in every time. It's getting better. Here in america and in western europe, it's getting better. Slowly honor is becoming more of a personal thing, less something dictated by a single unified society, so it never gets too serious(ignoring indoctrination of course).

More open societies with better communication, wider variety of media options. Honor, for the most part, is mostly what you make of it based on how you were raise you'll believe certain things, but your neighbor is probably going to differ by no small amount. You don't get the kind of group think that leads to vendettas, suicide or much organized overt oppression. Honor isn't something to burn down a girls grade school or commit ethnic cleansing over.

women... jesus, the things that have been done to women in the name of honor over the years in every single damned culture... I don't have the words to describe it. Just unimaginable suffering for just so many for so long.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    GrombarGrombar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    When it comes to honor (and its close friend, pride), the key is moderation. Nobody likes or respects a constant coward, any more than they like or respect a stubborn, pig-headed jackass. But there is a healthy balance to be found between the two extremes.

A man with no pride tends to cut and run at the first sign of difficulty, and doesn't usually accomplish much in life.

A man with too much pride will stick with what he's doing no matter what, even when he's clearly wrong; all kinds of trouble come from that. (Of course, admitting when you're wrong will hurt your pride, but have the opposite effect on your honor, so the two aren't always the same thing.)

The right amount -- the kind you earn through hard, productive work -- will earn you self-respect, which has all kinds of benefits; confidence and drive are two of the big ones, and those tend to be crucial components for success.

Another aspect of honor is trustworthiness, and that's a necessity for any society; our economy functions because we trust people to provide the goods and services we pay for, and when that trust falters -- because someone proves themselves untrustworthy -- we all suffer for it. The more untrustworthy people run loose in the system, the more it hurts the rest of us, and if everyone's untrustworthy, it all falls apart. For that reason, an honest society is a strong society.

Then there's the kind of honor that makes heroes. Heroes take risks. Sometimes they die, and sometimes they fail. But they push their honor just shy of that "pig-headed jackass" extreme.

Now, most of us will never have to face the sort of extreme, life-or-death situations we're talking about here. But let's say you do. Let's say this: The building you're in is on fire. You see a stranger pinned down under a desk. You might be able to help them, but if you do, it might be too late to get out. (Of course, there's no guarantee you'll get out anyway, but every second you wait makes it less likely.)

Ideally, your first instinct would be to take the risk and help, if for no other reason than because you'd want him to do the same for you.

And that raises an interesting question: What would a society built on heroism, where everyone was brave and honest, look like?

Grombar on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What happened to honor being about doing the right thing and not dicking people over just because you can?

In the situations you describe, people are using honor as a cover for doing something shitty that benefits pretty much only themselves, except in the case of Braveheart. The English were really being total dickholes about that whole situation.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Falstaff wrote:
    Can honor set to a leg? No. Or an arm? No. Or take away the grief of a wound? No. Honor hath no skill in surgery them? No. What is honor? A word. What is that word honor? Air--a trim reckoning! Who hath it? He that died a Wednesday. Doth he feel it? No. Doth he hear it? No. 'Tis insensible then? Yea, to the dead. But will it not live with the living? No. Why? Detraction will not suffer it. Therefore I'll none of it.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

No.

He signed a page of lies and gave information that wasn't even the slightest bit useful to them.

He only thinks he broke because he gave more than his rank and serial number, but he gave nothing important away. It's his own honor he broke there, not real information.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    GrombarGrombar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Falstaff wrote:
    Can honor set to a leg? No. Or an arm? No. Or take away the grief of a wound? No. Honor hath no skill in surgery them? No. What is honor? A word. What is that word honor? Air--a trim reckoning! Who hath it? He that died a Wednesday. Doth he feel it? No. Doth he hear it? No. 'Tis insensible then? Yea, to the dead. But will it not live with the living? No. Why? Detraction will not suffer it. Therefore I'll none of it.

I don't think Falstaff was ever written to be a role model, per se. More like a guy we wish we could be if we could get away with it. :p

Grombar on
  • Options
    insane00insane00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh honor, you silly word full of connotation that has been bastardized in our modern era by politicians trying to get elected.

And what does it mean? Are we talking about honesty, fairness, and integrity? Or are we talking about the principle of holding your beliefs to the end? Or are we talking about a woman's virginity? :P You get the point. I'm going to use the honesty, fairness, and integrity definition because it most clearly represents what is being talked about here.

I think that as far as honor goes, it has a lot of importance that it has, even in today's society. Presuming the above definition, there are certainly situations in which it should be broken. While I don't want to go as far as to say that a person should break under a threat to their safety (that is a personal choice), there are many situations, such as threatening a loved one, where one can quite justifiably break their honor (Someone tells me to curse God or they kill my family, the choice is pretty clear).

However, True honor is personal. Someone can force you to do something you don't believe in, they can put a gun to your head a force you to spit on the cross (or worship it, depending on the case) but they cannot make you believe in your action. You may be forced to bow down, but just because you bow doesn't mean that you actually believe.

Now that I have said that, I come to realize that while McCain may have outwardly preserved his honor by dealing with 5 years in a POW camp and suffering torture, his response to his constituency shows that he is without honor. I am referring to his change of stance on almost every single issue. 7 years ago he denounced Jerry Falwell, now he has no problem with the guy; less time ago he denounced the Bush tax cuts, now they are embraced; and he disagreed and campaigned against Bush, but now gives him huge hugs and refuses to speak ill of the monkey.

What this shows us is that he is willing to change his ideals on a whim. We all know (or at least should) that just because a constituency feels an action should be pursued does not mean that it is just or the best way to run the country. That's why our system is set up the way it is, the founding fathers realized the mass population isn't smart enough to be given responsibility so we elect people smart and skilled enough to handle it. McCain at one time showed signs of being a man that would work to do what he saw was right despite Republican disagreement. Now he won't even follow his own campaign reform standards. Thus I say again, he is without honor. He is willing to do anything for the oval office and say anything for power.

I would rather vote for a man that will say something unpopular because he feels it is true than the man that will say whatever people want to hear. At least I can trust the man that risks unpopularity and it was precisely this that made me respect McCain in the past. However his inability to take this risk now has made me lose all respect for him and now I only trust him to be a mouthpiece for whomever will give him what he wants.

insane00 on
    Go on, keep reading...
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Honor: who needs it?

456px-Zuko-Season_3.jpg

Clearly, he does-he must restore it, after all.

Having honor is due to being honorable- through just, fair, and righteous actions. Honestly, whether we need honor or not is dependent on how we define it. Is honor 'not cheating' on the battlefield, or is it making the best decisions?

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thou art sworn to protect thy Lord at any cost, yet thou knowest he hath committed a crime. Authorities ask thee of the affair, dost thou A) break thine oath by Honestly speaking; or B) uphold Honor by silently keeping thine oath?

Thou art sworn to uphold a Lord who participates in the forbidden torture of prisoners. Each night their cries of pain reach thee. Dost thou A) Show Compassion by reporting the deeds; or B) Honor thy oath and ignore the deeds?

During battle thou art ordered to guard thy commander's empty tent. The battle goes poorly and thou dost yearn to aid thy fellows. Dost thou A) Valiantly enter the battle to aid thy companions; or B) Honor thy post as guard?

Thou hast sworn to do thy Lord's bidding in all. He covets a piece of land and orders the owner removed. Dost thou A) serve Justice, refusing to act, thus being disgraced; or B) Honor thine oath and unfairly evict the landowner?

Thou art a bounty hunter sworn to return an alleged murderer. After his capture, thou believest him to be innocent. Dost thou A) Sacrifice thy sizeable bounty for thy belief; or B) Honor thy oath to return him as thou hast promised?

In thy youth thou pledged to marry thy sweetheart. Now thou art on a sacred quest in distant lands. Thy sweetheart asks thee to keep thy vow. Dost thou A) Honor thy pledge to wed; or B) follow thy Spiritual crusade?

Thou art at a crossroads in thy life. Dost thou A) Choose the Honorable life of a Paladin, striving for Truth and Courage; or B) Choose the Humble life of a Shepherd, and a world of simplicity and peace?

Dalboz on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Honour is like faith - both words mean different things to different people, and they're both outdated word based on an outdated set of moral principles. I think we should either make up our minds about what those words mean, specifically, or just stop using them.

If you're referring specifically to this 'die for your principles' thing, I think the real problem is that people tend to have retarded principles.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    Liberal CrabLiberal Crab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think your missing the point of honor, even if I accept it is what you say it is. Just because honor doesn't produce immediate, tangible benefits doesn't mean it is illogical. The way I see it, by doing something that harms you personally for the sake of honor, you achieve three things: (1) you uphold your reputation, which is very important if you need to count on other people listening to you at a latter point, (2) you uphold the value of a principle through sacrifice, which inspires others to do the same and (3) you contribute to the good of a group, which benefits your relatives, friends etc. Encouraging some form of selfless behavior like honor is very important to a groups survival, so it's only natural that societies tend to encourage it.

Liberal Crab on