As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Harry Potter HBP Trailer: "They find me... whisper things..."

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.moviefone.com/movie/harry-potter-and-the-half-blood-prince/27063/main

So yeah, this movie is coming in sooner than I thought. It looks much better than the last few, which is great. The seen seems right out of the book (with some parts clearly edited out), and is really good.
The little guy playing Tom Riddle is just right for the role. His and Dumbledore's chemistry is great.
I want this to be good, because after Goblet, this is my favorite HP book. And since they really dropped the ball on 4, and 5 had issues, I really have some reservations. Still, cautiously optimistic.

Release date is Nov. 21st.

Local H Jay on

• Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

So the next Harry Potter is actually just Halo 3?

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Snape kills the Arbiter! (There are Arbiters in Halo, right?)

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    insane00insane00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Corbius wrote: »

So the next Harry Potter is actually just Halo 3?

I was wondering about that, but it looks like it is fixed.

insane00 on
    Go on, keep reading...
  • Options
    Director714Director714 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

NOOOOO! You BITCH! You SPOILED IT!

Director714 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    SORRY I clicked something OTHER than copy. It's fine now, sorry. :lol:

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

You just gave me the best idea for a HP/Halo/Starcraft fanfic.

No, but seriously, I got over Harry Potter in middle school. Anybody with me?

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Adrien wrote: »

I never really saw the supreme attraction, and the trailer only serves to demonstrate the ridiculousness of the dialogue.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Yeah, and some people got over video games in high school.
    Harry Potter is still good wether or not you enjoy it.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I came in this Harry Potter thread because I think Harry Potter is stupid!

Haha just kidding. Harry Potter rules. 6 is gonna be a tough movie, suffering from the problems of 5 - too much stuff to fit in.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The difference is that there are video games which deal with adult experience with maturity. Harry Potter will always be for kids.

I don't have a problem with things that are for kids, and I'll confess to an amount of nostalgia there, but that's just not me anymore, ya know?

EDIT: Though in the interest of full disclousure, I should mention that at this exact moment Philosopher's Stone is the closest book to my person.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've enjoyed all of the movies, even though some of them are ridiculously disjointed and it's pretty obvious even for someone like me who has never read the books that they've cut out huge chunks of the story because some of the movies just plain don't make any sense.

reVerse on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I hope they have more tits in this one.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I liked the first and second movies, thought the fourth one was decent, and didn't care for the third or fifth at all. My dislike of the fifth one probably comes from my immense dislike of the fifth book. With all the others, I don't want to put them down until I'm finished with them. With the fifth, I have to make a conscious effort not to shut it and skip to the next one.

Hopefully this one will be good. I'm a bit concerned about it though, because they've cut out or changed so much that turns out to later be significant that I don't know if they can make the story coherent at this point.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The difference is that there are video games which deal with adult experience with maturity. Harry Potter will always be for kids.

I don't have a problem with things that are for kids, and I'll confess to an amount of nostalgia there, but that's just not me anymore, ya know?

EDIT: Though in the interest of full disclousure, I should mention that at this exact moment Philosopher's Stone is the closest book to my person.

But many of the themes in Harry Potter it would be good for a number of adults to learn. Such as equal rights, justice, and understanding that nothing, not even being genetically more powerful (such as being born with magical ability) gives you the right to rule or look down on another person.

In fact I would say that the Harry Potter series is one of the most powerful statements of equal rights to have reached a worldwide audience.

insane00 on
    Go on, keep reading...
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Uh huh! That harry potter, with it's orwellian themes and explorations of death and having major characters die for a purpose, and making some characters have deep deep backstories to explain why they have been doing sure is for kids!
    SNAPE! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SNAPE IN THE 7TH BOOK!

Edit: Seriously, the best part is when you realize that people like Dumbledore, who has been seen as a force for pure good
    almost helped start a wizard nazi-esque genocide.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, pretty much if you call the books for kids then you never read 6 or 7, both which feature graphic violence and murder.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I wonder if they'll allude to Dumbledore's sexuality in the last film.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    insane00 wrote: »

But many of the themes in Harry Potter it would be good for a number of adults to learn. Such as equal rights, justice, and understanding that nothing, not even being genetically more powerful (such as being born with magical ability) gives you the right to rule or look down on another person.

In fact I would say that the Harry Potter series is one of the most powerful statements of equal rights to have reached a worldwide audience.

And as much as adults may need remedial courses in basic human concepts, that doesn't mean that Harry Potter handles them in a mature way.

It's more sensitive than the Bible, I'll grant you that.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, pretty much if you call the books for kids then you never read 6 or 7, both which feature graphic violence and murder.

Does it go into detail, like with entrails and post death excavation of bodily fluids?

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I read Ender's Game way before HP, and would recommend it first.
    If you haven't read Ender's Game, you really shouldn't click this.
    I mean, it's too late for you to read it as a kid, but still.
    Ender's Game starts with the hero committing murder.
    It ends with him committing genocide.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008

And as much as adults may need remedial courses in basic human concepts, that doesn't mean that Harry Potter handles them in a mature way.

It's more sensitive than the Bible, I'll grant you that.

I don't mean to say that the book is mature or on the level of say Lord of the Flies, or anything written by Philip K. Dick, But for escapist fiction you have to admit it at least addresses some important ideas.

And lets be honest, there are a lot of adults out there that are way more likely to read Harry Potter than anything considered literature or mature.

insane00 on
    Go on, keep reading...
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well that's because Ender's Game is phenomenal.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    I came in this Harry Potter thread because I think Harry Potter is stupid!

Haha just kidding. Harry Potter rules. 6 is gonna be a tough movie, suffering from the problems of 5 - too much stuff to fit in.

Also, the drift from "sliding towards a darker story" to "WHO TURNED OUT THE DAMNED LIGHTS?".
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Yes, yes it is. I read that back in grade 5, and it has since been among my favourite books.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

Does it go into detail, like with entrails and post death excavation of bodily fluids?

Not so much, but
    twins are de-eared and one murdered, Malfoy gets stabbed multiple times and nearly bleeds to death (blood-spurting including), Dumbledore's charred corpse is seen smoking after his murder, werewolves tear into people,
    yadda yadda. Y'know, kid's stuff.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Truth.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Not so much, but
    twins are de-eared and one murdered, Malfoy gets stabbed multiple times and nearly bleeds to death (blood-spurting including), Dumbledore's charred corpse is seen smoking after his murder, werewolves tear into people,
    yadda yadda. Y'know, kid's stuff.

I don't know, kid's entertainment IS pretty violent at times, the thing that most Americans get up in arms about is swear words and sex.

Then again, JK Rowling probably did mature her storytelling through the novels, since her original fanbase was maturing as well.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Unfortunately it's marred (to me anyways) by the unfortunate syndrome of "Oh, I know which book/myth she got that from!" And it happens like every third word.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Always mean to read that book, but I found out the ending long ago. And well, Card's an ass.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »

Always mean to read that book, but I found out the ending long ago. And well, Card's an ass.

Yah, one of the larger disillusionments of my childhood was discovering that Orson Scott Card is actually a homophobic douchenozzle.

Especially considering Songmaster.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Like all the other Harry Potter movies, I'll probably catch this one once it hits HBO. It doesn't look half bad, though.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Good trailer. I'm looking forward to it, since HBP was a shorter book and had plenty of non-essential shit that could be cut (oh god all the goddamned relationship bellyaching and fucking quidditch :x).

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    I N V I C T U SI N V I C T U S Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have waited for this movie ever since the sixth book came out.

Reason to see it:
    Alan Rickman killing Dumbledore. GUARANTEED.

I N V I C T U S on
    BY THE HOARY FUCKING HOSTS!
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wonder if they'll allude to Dumbledore's sexuality in the last film.

Making out with Sir Cadogan in the Griffindor Hall, while the Fat Lady watches.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

See, I've seen things like this referenced in books, and I have to say
    Isn't it only murder if there was intent to kill?

He beat the living shit out of that kid, but never meant to kill him, he was only making sure there was no chance the kid would want to start shit later.

It isn't even revealed that the kid died until late into the book.

Another example is in The Subtle Knife.
    Will does have a few sociopathic habits, but what he did at the beginning of the story was entirely defensive, and he had no intent to kill anyone at that point.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Goatmon wrote: »

See, I've seen things like this referenced in books, and I have to say
    Isn't it only murder if there was intent to kill?

He beat the living shit out of that kid, but never meant to kill him, he was only making sure there was no chance the kid would want to start shit later.

It isn't even revealed that the kid died until late into the book.

Another example is in The Subtle Knife.
    Will does have a few sociopathic habits, but what he did at the beginning of the story was entirely defensive, and he had no intent to kill anyone at that point.
    Okay, so technically it was aggravated assault that became manslaughter when the kid died. Happy?

Although I guess given his rationale of wanting to do whatever it took to make sure no one ever bullied him again you might be able to get him on second degree murder. I mean, discounting the fact that he was six.

What I mean to say is that colloquially, murder can be any unlawful killing :P

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Unfortunately it's marred (to me anyways) by the unfortunate syndrome of "Oh, I know which book/myth she got that from!" And it happens like every third word.

Huh? That's dumb. Do you dislike literature in general? Allusions and building upon previous stories and tropes and classic myths and stuff - pretty much par for the course.

I mean uh, I guess only stuff that is completely original is enjoyable?

Medopine on
  • Options
    I N V I C T U SI N V I C T U S Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wish Rowling would have made fun of her own penchant for making names. Brought in a werewolf named Lobo Lycanthrope or something.

I N V I C T U S on
    BY THE HOARY FUCKING HOSTS!
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Huh? That's dumb. Do you dislike literature in general? Allusions and building upon previous stories and tropes and classic myths and stuff - pretty much par for the course.

...That's not what I said. Good writers are able to take their experiences and write new material off of that. While they do obviously take inspiration from past works, they don't crib.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

...That's not what I said. Good writers are able to take their experiences and write new material off of that. While they do obviously take inspiration from past works, they don't crib.

Could you give an example or two? I don't remember anything that blatant.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Could you give an example or two? I don't remember anything that blatant.
    Can we start with Morte D'Artur, and the fact that almost every single name says something about the character? Also the whole dog Latin thing is irritating, although that's a different issue.

Fencingsax on