As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Harry Potter HBP Trailer: "They find me... whisper things..."

2»

• Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Are you claiming that she stole the idea of having a character's name reveal something about the character? From whom? Or are you just saying the way she did it annoyed you.

I'm not familiar with the Morte D'Artur in particular, but I'm familiar with Arthur legends. Could you clarify?

Medopine on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The hell is Morte D'Artur? You're just making shit up now. That's not in the books.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    Are you claiming that she stole the idea of having a character's name reveal something about the character? From whom? Or are you just saying the way she did it annoyed you.

I'm not familiar with the Morte D'Artur in particular, but I'm familiar with Arthur legends. Could you clarify?
    I'm essentially giving several criticisms of her style at once. I apologize.

However, the whole Boy leads rather shit life until he finds out his parents were awesome, is taught by wise old wizard, etc etc and he and his mortal enemy destroy each other is basically rather too specific for me to appreciate especially as her style hugely grates on me (also the whole best friends/betrayal/romance subplot) I also realize her books are not for me, so I was trying to stay out of it, and only comment on the ridiculousness of the dialogue in the trailer.

Morte D'Artur is a book by Mallory that is one version of the Arthurian legend. There are others, and I could have used them just as well, I just have a soft spot for Mallory.

Edit2: Just to explain, I really like the setting and the idea. The execution of these things was just sub-par.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »

I'm essentially giving several criticisms of her style at once. I apologize.

However, the whole Boy leads rather shit life until he finds out his parents were awesome, is taught by wise old wizard, etc etc and he and his mortal enemy destroy each other is basically rather too specific for me to appreciate especially as her style hugely grates on me. I also realize her books are not for me, so I was trying to stay out of it, and only comment on the ridiculousness of the dialogue in the trailer.

Ah alright then.

Medopine on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Truthfully, the trailer would have been 10x more awesome if that last line wasn't crap. The sentiment fits so well with the trailer, but they had to go and screw it up with the wording.

Taximes on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Uh huh! That harry potter, with it's orwellian themes and explorations of death and having major characters die for a purpose, and making some characters have deep deep backstories to explain why they have been doing sure is for kids!
    SNAPE! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SNAPE IN THE 7TH BOOK!

Edit: Seriously, the best part is when you realize that people like Dumbledore, who has been seen as a force for pure good
    almost helped start a wizard nazi-esque genocide.

In his defense, though, I hear he did it all for the nookie.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Uh huh! That harry potter, with it's orwellian themes and explorations of death and having major characters die for a purpose, and making some characters have deep deep backstories to explain why they have been doing sure is for kids!

Edit: Seriously, the best part is when you realize that people like Dumbledore, who has been seen as a force for pure good

Well duh, she was a redhead.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have waited for this movie ever since the sixth book came out.

Reason to see it:
    Alan Rickman killing Dumbledore. GUARANTEED.

Yeah I'm glad also because I hated this Dumbledore they casted. He is too intense and not like the first guy who died. I forget the actor's name and too lazy too look it up but in past films he was known to be intense with his dialogue. Just doesn't work well with Dumbledore. At the least from what I've read in the book and saw in the initial movies his Dumbledore doesn't fit as well as the other castings made.

Khaczor on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmm. Seeing this trailer in HD makes me want to buy the other movies on Bluray. But I have this sneaking suspicion that when all seven movies are done, they'll release directors cuts/box sets...

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmm. Seeing this trailer in HD makes me want to buy the other movies on Bluray. But I have this sneaking suspicion that when all seven movies are done, they'll release directors cuts/box sets...

8 movies.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    I N V I C T U SI N V I C T U S Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Khaczor wrote: »

Reason to see it:

Yeah I'm glad also because I hated this Dumbledore they casted. He is too intense and not like the first guy who died. I forget the actor's name and too lazy too look it up but in past films he was known to be intense with his dialogue. Just doesn't work well with Dumbledore. At the least from what I've read in the book and saw in the initial movies his Dumbledore doesn't fit as well as the other castings made.

I didn't like the first Dumbledore all that much. You could seriously tell the guy was dying slowly throughout the movie. He felt too old, I guess. I think he would have made a better Merlin than a Dumbledore.

I N V I C T U S on
    BY THE HOARY FUCKING HOSTS!
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Adrien wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    See, I've seen things like this referenced in books, and I have to say
    Isn't it only murder if there was intent to kill?

He beat the living shit out of that kid, but never meant to kill him, he was only making sure there was no chance the kid would want to start shit later.

It isn't even revealed that the kid died until late into the book.

Another example is in The Subtle Knife.
    Will does have a few sociopathic habits, but what he did at the beginning of the story was entirely defensive, and he had no intent to kill anyone at that point.
    Okay, so technically it was aggravated assault that became manslaughter when the kid died. Happy?

Although I guess given his rationale of wanting to do whatever it took to make sure no one ever bullied him again you might be able to get him on second degree murder. I mean, discounting the fact that he was six.

What I mean to say is that colloquially, murder can be any unlawful killing :P

Re: Ender's Game:
    Ender didn't intend to kill the kid, but he did what he had to do to survive. He won not just that fight, but every other fight that would otherwise follow. He was ruthless and relentless, not out of malice nor spite, but simply because it needed to be done.

That was what mattered. That and his pursuit of creative answers to (seemingly or otherwise) insurmountable obstacles. Call it murder, manslaughter or whatever term applies best, but it was irrelavent to him.

In the end, two boys died at his hands, unintentionally, but because of the exact qualities that the military sought to create the perfect leader for their forces. He committed genocide, and in the eyes of those leading him, saved the human race.

God I love that book.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They should have cast Ian McKellen as Dumbledore. He's old, he's gay, and he makes a good wizard.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2008

Get them. They are glorious.

Also: eagerly anticipating, yay wizards, yadda yadda.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ian McKellen was offered the role, and he refused it saying something along the lines of, hes already played one legend (Gandalf) in film, and thats plenty for him.

Also regarding Ender's Game. Yes, Card's beliefs are out there, and it's a shame, but you have to admit he is one damned fine author. Also, props to Ben Bova for giving Card the original short story.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The third movie was my favorite, and only the fifth came close. They should have Cuaron direct the final movie(s).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As ecstatic I am that they are splitting Deathly Hallows into two movies (like really really happy), I just hope to god a better director does them.

Snork on
  • Options
    I N V I C T U SI N V I C T U S Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The first Deathly Hallows film is just going to be the camping trip, so I might skip it.

I N V I C T U S on
    BY THE HOARY FUCKING HOSTS!
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The first Deathly Hallows film is just going to be the camping trip, so I might skip it.

They should use the Seinfeld strategy and make it a movie about nothing.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    agoaj wrote: »

They should use the Seinfeld strategy and make it a movie about nothing.
    :< That was one of the things I liked most about Deathly Hallows.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like it's still David Yates.

At least it looks like John Williams might be returning to score it.

Snork on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Then they should make a third movie, focused on Neville
    while he's kicking ass and taking names inside Hogwart's while Harry and Company are busy with their scavenger hunts and camping trip.

see317 on
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I haven't read any of the books, but I've enjoyed the movies so far, so I'll be seeing this one.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I always thought that with a pair of blue contacts, Christopher Lee could own the role. And it'd be nice for him to not be the villain once in his life.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think, that I will not want to see either Deathly Hollows movies, but get dragged to them by my family anyways. The book was barely tolerable for me, especially coming from the high point of HBP.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I liked the end much better than the part in the woods. Though too many people died for my tastes. I get it, it's all dramatic. But after Dumby bites it, no other deaths really have as big an impact.
    I mean, Hedwig? Whatever. Though I'll admit Ron (or was it George?) dying caught me off guard.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Reason to see it:

I didn't like the first Dumbledore all that much. You could seriously tell the guy was dying slowly throughout the movie. He felt too old, I guess. I think he would have made a better Merlin than a Dumbledore.

But that's what made him so perfect.

Dumbledore is supposed to be old and fragile. The newer Dumbledore is way too vocal and energetic.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Kilroy wrote: »
    They should have cast Ian McKellen as Dumbledore. He's old, he's gay, and he makes a good wizard.

But he's not actually a wizard.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kilroy wrote: »

Yes, this. A thousand times this.

I can easily see him portraying Dumbledore, making a transition from a seemingly meek-yet-wise old fart to a fierce and powerful wizard who's age has not made him any less intimidating when push comes to shove.

Micheal Gambon plays does well with the latter, but can't pull off the former at all.

He's even admitted to having never read any of the source material. >:l

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I haven't enjoyed a single Harry Potter movie.

But I keep going back for my sweet Hermione.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I haven't enjoyed a single Harry Potter movie.

But I keep going back for my sweet Hermione.

Harry Potter and the Unmarked Van.

I am really interested to see how they handle this movie. The books kind of matured in content as readers got older, and the scenes
    with the Horcrux that Dumbledore destroys and the Sectumsempra spell.
    both have the potential to be pretty dark.

To say nothing of the infamous ending.

I assume they are still going for the PG rating after all.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey I'm 19.

And I don't have a Van.

Yet.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh wait, OotP was PG-13 huh?

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cokomon wrote: »

I love how this line can apply to both Snape and Dumbledore.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I liked the end much better than the part in the woods. Though too many people died for my tastes. I get it, it's all dramatic. But after Dumby bites it, no other deaths really have as big an impact.
    I mean, Hedwig? Whatever. Though I'll admit Ron (or was it George?) dying caught me off guard.
    Man, that would have been weird if Ron had up and died at the beginning of the 7th book.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    God I hate QuickTime.
    "lol I am streaming, you can't save this"
    "lol I am streaming, you can't pause this"

I did rather like the trailer though. Hope the movie will be handled well (I was rather annoyed the last movie cut out loads of material... to make room for a 15 minute action scene that never happens in the books. Gngngn).

Glal on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Goatmon wrote: »

Reason to see it:

But that's what made him so perfect.

Dumbledore is supposed to be old and fragile. The newer Dumbledore is way too vocal and energetic.
    Fragile? He's Dumbledore, the most powerful wizard (other than maybe Voldemort) around. He beats V in a duel in OotP and it too powerful for the Ministry to capture.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    UpfishUpfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really hope they don't cut out the two best Malfoy parts, though they're likely to take out the first one:
    The part where they are riding on the Hogwarts express and Harry hides in Malfoy's train compartment to spy, then Malfoy stays behind when everyone is getting out of the train, pulls Harry off the luggage shelf where he knows he's hiding, then stomps on his fucking face.
    The second one is probably going to stay in, but I could see them taking this out as well, since Malfoy's not really a major part of the movies anymore.
    SECTUMSEMPRA

Upfish on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Malfoy does play a pretty 'big' role this movie as
    Harry suspects it's Malfoy trying to kill Dumbledore all along> Turn out he was right, of course, but Malfoy ends up lacking the cahones anyway.
    If they do do Sectumsempra, it will likely be off-screen and less blood spurty a-la the Basilik's death in Chamber.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    UpfishUpfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Malfoy does play a pretty 'big' role this movie as
    Harry suspects it's Malfoy trying to kill Dumbledore all along> Turn out he was right, of course, but Malfoy ends up lacking the cahones anyway.
    If they do do Sectumsempra, it will likely be off-screen and less blood spurty a-la the Basilik's death in Chamber.

Yeah, I was thinking more about how he has sort of faded into the background in the more recent movies, but I guess if he is an important bit of the plot, then he'll be more involved. In which case both of my favorite scenes have a decent chance. :D

Upfish on