As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prize Redemption Issues?

BinkleyBinkley Registered User regular
edited September 2006 in PAX Archive
I had an absolute blast at PAX (it helps when you're not running around doing the Omegathon I guess :lol: ) but I think something should be done about the Prize Redemption.

I don't want to sound ungrateful or anything, but is there a way where the people who win tickets later (late Sat/Sun) actually have some more prizes to choose from? Perhaps there could be a set amount of prizes given away on a given day, and at the beginning of the next day the table is restocked? (This might open up Enforcer abuse though...) Maybe replenishing the PA store stuff with stuff from downstairs (or does this cost more than the other prizes which may be donated?) would solve this problem.

Also, no one seems to want miniatures so maybe those could be cut down for more t-shirts or something.

I liked the speaker chair though, I'd love to see more gift-certificate like prizes (free smoothy at Jamba Juice!) because there's only so much space for those of us who fly.

Just some thoughts, maybe I'm the only one annoyed at this?

A video blog about random jank:
The KB Life
Binkley on

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I was lucky enough to get some tickets first night and get some nice swag.

The guys who won anything on Sunday got pretty screwed.

I think its about time to use those copies of Asheron's Call and make a big fort or something, they aren't going on to any hard drives :p

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I got there Saturday at midnight and I pretty much spent all my first round of points on random RPG stuf that I will never use, but it's got eBay potential at least. It was certainly way better than the pickings on Sunday.

Yeah us SC3 people got boned, but whatever. They put out some more Pentium Processors so BL was able to get one while debating whether or not to buy 3 chairs. :lol:

I think if you also sold wrist bands to concerts or maybe to cut to the front of the line for various panels/ehibit hall/events (beat the Pro, etc.) that people would buy those too.

I'm sad to say I ended up with Asheron's Call since it would fit in my bag for the flight home, there's only so many T-shirts I can give away before I start saving some for myself. :wink:

Binkley on
    The KB Life
  • Options
    ZyzzyvasZyzzyvas Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Just curious how these tickets were given away? Did only the winners of the tournaments get them or what? There was a quite a few prizes on that table....

Zyzzyvas on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I think its about time to use those copies of Asheron's Call and make a big fort or something, they aren't going on to any hard drives :p

I wouldve taken one...

First year I had to settle with a year of Xbox Live(Which I got screwed out of 7 months on because of their crappy system didnt extend the expiration date by a year from what it currently is, but a year from the day you enter it) and a Lineage 2 strategy guide....

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    The CS:S tourney got boned too. Most of the good small stuff had been picked clean. We were told there'd be a bit more stuff to choose from on Sunday, but by the time my clan showed up (those lazy bums, 1pm), there was pretty much nothing worthwhile left. Still, the stuff on Friday looked awesome, so I applaud you all for finding the best stuff for the table. I would've been all over the D&D mini's, but I have vowed to stay away from money sink's like miniatures or trading card games.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Would be cool to have people donate prizes, I think the PA crowd is actually pretty damn generous and it could go a little ways to making the tournaments feel a bit more "involved."

Maybe next year I'll take first in a bunch of tournaments, then I can buy every copy of Asheron's Call (they'll still be there, I know it) and make a raft out of it.

Best raft ever.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    MoonVydeoMoonVydeo Lord Moon Enforcer at Large Istanbul (Not Constantinople)Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Actually you can thank a fellow attendees for part of the lack of prizes. Seems some managed to jack some of the prizes, not to mention two of the volunteer Enforcer laptops.

As such look forward to tighter security next year.

An Enforcer down in Table-Top did draw a "I Want You" Uncle Sam style poster, with Tycho pointing on it, for volunteers for next years Enforcers. At some point as a joke 20 points was put on it and a person cashed in their points for it. We explained it was NOT artwork done by Mike, but they insisted they wanted it as it was "too cool."

MoonVydeo on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Zyzzyvas wrote:
    Just curious how these tickets were given away? Did only the winners of the tournaments get them or what? There was a quite a few prizes on that table....

Basically each tourney gets a set amount of points with (I think) a suggested distribution for 1st-4th. The tourney organizer can divide/prize the points out any way they want. Some tournies get more points than others because they are believed to be more popular or the participants are teams of people instead of a lone individual.

Binkley on
    The KB Life
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2006
    I vote in favor of having some amount of restocking each day, even if it means inventory is witheld rather than new stuff is brought in. By the time GH ended there was very little of interest left unclaimed, and SC3 was even after that... yeesh.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    You know what REALLY PISSED ME OFF?!

I spent my time covering PAX for my blog instead of being in the day of Defeat tourny.

The DoD tourny ended about 1 hour AFTER PAX DID.

Since there were no prizes left....

THEY ALL GOT INTEL EXTREME EDITION PROCESSORS...

Sorry, but the intel guy wouldn't even throw in a processor for the case mod contest and whined about how "they gave em all away!" and I see the DoD guys all walking out with them. I was pretty mad. My buddy and I are almost Cal-I DoD players.

I guess I can't be too mad. I built a fruitfucker.

-A

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2006
    Intel is a pain in the ass to get products from, for reviews, product promotion, anything. I was amazed to see they even had a presence there.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    From what I can tell, the supplied at least 4 processors. BL walked away with one after the SC3 tourney. Some appeared at the prize table while he was debating how many speaker chairs to buy. :lol:

Binkley on
    The KB Life
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    altmann wrote:
    You know what REALLY PISSED ME OFF?!

I spent my time covering PAX for my blog instead of being in the day of Defeat tourny.

The DoD tourny ended about 1 hour AFTER PAX DID.

Since there were no prizes left....

THEY ALL GOT INTEL EXTREME EDITION PROCESSORS...

Sorry, but the intel guy wouldn't even throw in a processor for the case mod contest and whined about how "they gave em all away!" and I see the DoD guys all walking out with them. I was pretty mad. My buddy and I are almost Cal-I DoD players.

I guess I can't be too mad. I built a fruitfucker.

-A

First of all, the DOD winners did not all receive Intel processors, we also received some of those really expensive NIC cards as well.

I would also like to point this was my first time playing DOD, as it was for two other guys on our team, and we still managed to dominate. Perhaps if you had spent less time with a garbage can with a computer inside it, you and your friend might have taken second place.

See you next year.

--Ryan

P.S. Perhaps I shall enter something in the case contest and dominate in that too.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Thanks Ryan that was great.

-A

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    In response to Moon, I was not aware of anything major or worth mentioning that disappeared from Prize Redemption. Despite overwhelming numbers at times, shrink was not really a factor. All the high value items were either too heavy, or very well watched.

But yeah, like I said.. There really isen't much that can be done in regards to people on Sunday missing out on the good stuff. We had a TON of stuff to give away, but people would come in and get multiples of the good stuffs we had rather then diversify their picks.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited August 2006
    From what I understand, someone got into the facility at 3:30am or something, and that's when stuffs was thefted.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Ahh yeah, I heard about that..

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I spoke to the head of enforcer security.

nothing was taken from the prize table. They were caught red-handed. Although, I heard a couple laptops were taken from the BYOC registration desk. Stupid asses.

-A

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Oooh, that sounds zesty. What happened to them? Was the juice that came out of your case mod really OJ? Or was it liquified ass-clown brains?

engage Code Omega!

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I wasen't aware of anyone even *trying* to take anything from the prize redemption table.
    Unless it happened on Sunday.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Hi all! I just wanted to chime in about the prize redeption and the Intel processors.

I was the main guy there representing Intel. I brought some Extreme procs to give away on the main prize table.

As I was running the LAN room infrastructure as a sponsor of the event, I rely on PAX to decide how to give away the products.

For the record, altmann did ask if I could put in a processor for the Case Mod comp. Since that competition was already sponsored, I was told it was not necessary.

I did contribute 3 processors to the DoD:S tourney at the end seeing as there was a mixup on the tickets and there were no prizes for DoD:S, but most of the guys "bought" the procs at the table, not for winning DoD:S.

PAX asked for 2 processors at a time for the table, not the whole lot to keep any theft issues to a minimum. I put out 2 each time they asked, until they were all gone.

So we gave the majority of the procs to the ones with tickets to spend. They did go faster after PAX lowered the price to 300 tickets. Only 3 went to the DoD:S tournament and no other tourney got processors for prizes.

I am really looking forward to next years event. We will be bringing more prizes and more free play! Can't wait!

As for the "whining", I don't whine. I might pule, cheer, gibber or moan, but never whine.... :)

Shocker

Unknown User on
  • Options
    FallFall Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'd like to go on record and say that Shocker is the man.

Fall on
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited September 2006
    Shocker wrote:
    For the record, altmann did ask if I could put in a processor for the Case Mod comp.
    lol

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Thanks for the compliment there Fall!

I like being the man. :)

Shocker

Unknown User on
  • Options
    MoonVydeoMoonVydeo Lord Moon Enforcer at Large Istanbul (Not Constantinople)Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hicks wrote:
    In response to Moon, I was not aware of anything major or worth mentioning that disappeared from Prize Redemption. Despite overwhelming numbers at times, shrink was not really a factor. All the high value items were either too heavy, or very well watched.

But yeah, like I said.. There really isen't much that can be done in regards to people on Sunday missing out on the good stuff. We had a TON of stuff to give away, but people would come in and get multiples of the good stuffs we had rather then diversify their picks.

To be fair I was working down in Table-Top and the word of theft that filtered down to us may have been construed by the time it got to us. :|

Even with the points I won, by the time I got up there on Sunday (I should have gone as soon as I got the points) it was picked over pretty well.

The only suggestion I would have is to maybe keep half of the "good" stuff hidden away and slowly put it out to replace other "good" stuff.

MoonVydeo on
  • Options
    Dr. DeezeeDr. Deezee Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    You can blame me for lining up those DoD procs.

I had to do a lot of "favors" to get them, if you know what I mean...

Dr. Deezee on
This discussion has been closed.