As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Packing for first-time overnight backpacking.

Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi, I'm about to go on my first ever backpacking trip this weekend.

Background info: I'm going with at least five other people, and I know at least four of them have a lot of hiking and backpacking experience. I think the place is just a short drive north of here? (Santa Cruz, CA), but I don't know this area well, so I'm not sure. The part of the trip I'm going on is one night and then one day.

As it was described to me, we're driving up tomorrow afternoon, and then hike (not sure how far) to the campsite and sleep there. Then the next morning we hike about 12 miles to the beach. Then we hang out at the beach a bit, maybe swim if we're brave enough, then we take a bus back to where the car is. A few people are going to stay another night and hike more the next day, but not me.

I'm borrowing a backpack, sleeping bag, and cushion to sleep on, which is good, but means I won't know beforehand how much it will all weigh together. These are the things I want to bring, but I'm worried it will be too much stuff.

Packing List

Clothes (including the clothes I'll wear):
-- Shoes (cross-trainers, I don't have hiking boots)
-- Socks x3
-- Underwear x2
-- Sports bra
-- T-shirts x2
-- Gym shorts
-- Hoodie
-- Flannel pants
-- Bathing suit
-- Scarf (to tie back my hair)

Toiletries:
-- Contact lenses
-- Sunblock
-- Comb
-- Travel size deodorant
-- Travel size soap
-- Toothbrush / toothpaste
-- Toilet paper
-- Towel

Camping stuff:
-- Backpack
-- Sleeping bag
-- Mat to sleep on
-- Mini LED flashlight
(the plan is no tents, and to just go home in the one-in-a-million chance it rains. I might have to carry a tarp or something)

Other stuff:
-- Camera (I'm leaving the fancy stuff at home, but probably still about 3 pounds with the battery and case)
-- Cellphone (in case of emergency? also the shiny screen is useful for putting in/taking out contact lenses)
-- Mini-wallet (ID, and maybe emergency credit card/cash)
-- Prescription meds and maybe a few Advil

Food: I have no idea what the plan is; if we're making food together I'll try to carry some. I don't own any camping utensils or plates, so anything I need I would need to borrow from the campus dining center. If everybody's doing their own, I have about 1 1/2 cups of almonds, a bag of dried fruit, and 4 different flavor cliff bars. Would that be sufficient? I have a water bottle to bring also, is 20 ounces big enough?

So is there anything here I can leave behind? Or did I forget anything? Sorry for the long post.

Pure Din on

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I live in Colorado, so my experience hiking may be a bit different, higher altitude, dry air etc...

I'd suggest you find out if there is water at the campsite and if it's safe to drink.
    I think a 12 mile hike could be pretty difficult on 20 oz of water. If you've got the time, money, and nearby sporting goods store I'd suggest you find a canteen with a good wide strap on it. Hydration is important and running dry will take the fun out of any day.

Under other stuff, bring fire. A lighter, matches(waterproofed preferably), flint and steel... whatever. It's good to have, light to carry and can be really unpleasent to go without. A compass may also be handy to have on hand although probably not neccesary since it doesn't sound like your going too far off the beaten track.
    See if you can find a small first aid kit to carry. Preferably with some moleskin or something for blisters.
    When in doubt, bring another pair of socks. Wet feet are no fun on hikes.

see317 on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That seems like a lot of stuff for one night - 12 miles is a fair walk. Have you tried strapping all that to you and walking around?

First you need to find out what the food arrangements are. Currently you have some snacks and enough water for the first hour of hiking. This guy drank 4 liters of water while hiking Yosemite. If there will be any alcohol involved overnight, bring more water.

Bring more food, or find out what the plan is. If it's a carry-out site, anything you carry in, you have to carry out, so any food that's got minimal packaging is preferred.

Clothes - "cross-trainers" on a hike? is it a paved trail? Sorry for being such a major downer here, but I don't see anything good coming out of someone carrying all that gear on a 12mile hike wearing gym shoes.

I'd really suggest getting more info from the other people - what's the trail like? Is it rough, does it have major inclines? What's the food situation?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There's actually a really good trick to keeping your feet dry. Buy sock liners and wool socks. Put the liners on, then the wool socks. Your foot sweat will pass through the liner and get absorbed by the wool, keeping your feet dry.

Definitely check the water supply there. Even if there is running water, like stream or something, bring water purifying tablets.
    Bring bug repellent. No really, you'll probably need it.
    Definitely, absolutely go get hiking boots. You need the ankle support. You don't want to get a sprained ankle from a slight misstep on the trail.
    Find out what kind of toilet facilities the place will have and if you need to bring a small trowel to, ummm...bury your waste.
    Check that your water bottle is actually sealable (does it screw tight; don't have one that simply snaps shut). You don't want that thing opening and not only losing your water but getting all your gear wet.
    A little trick I learned in the Boy Scouts: Ziplock bags are your friends. Put all you gear (well, your clothes, food, toiletries, etc.) in Ziplock bags and press the air out of them so they don't take up space. Not only does this help in organizing your gear, but it will keep everything clean and dry should disaster fall.
    I would take a pair of jeans. Flannel's warm, but it's not tough like denim. And while gym shorts may be sexy, you want to be sure your legs are protected during the hike. You don't want to scrape them up.
    Bring a small washcloth along with the towel.
    Get yourself a bag of hard candies, like Jolly Ranchers or something, and the sugar-free kind. There may be times when you'll need some quick energy, and it helps.
    Bring spare batteries for the flashlight.
    Swiss Army knife is always handy to have around. At least be sure someone has a knife.
    Bring a non-breakable mug in case someone makes coffee or hot cocoa or something and wants to share.

I know that's a lot, and I'm leaving some stuff out, but I'm an experienced backpacker and I'm just trying to share some experience (and some of it learned the hard way).

Dalboz on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    you need a trowel or a small fold up shovel. No toilets on this hike I assume.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Even if there is going to be water available, bring more water. Last time I went on a hike that length I burned through three liters of water on the hike; granted it was ungodly hot, but running out of water REALLY. REALLY. SUCKS.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    AliasunknownAliasunknown Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If its just one day, I'd say lose all the extra clothes, except the socks. You're going to be spending time in the woods, no one will care how clean your clothes are, or if you smell like you just stepped out of the shower or not. I'd leave the comb, deoderant, and toothpaste. TP is a necessity, but not a whole roll. I usually bring enough for two uses, and a bit extra. Wet wipes come in singles, and they're great for hiking.

As far as food goes, there are two sides of the spectrum; comfort and survival. You can survive off one cliff bar a day, but you won't be comfortable. I always start with as many cliff bars as days I'll be in the woods, plus three. Then, think about other factors such as distance, elevation gain, tree cover, and terrain type.

Water is the most important thing. Dehydration starts with headaches, loss of appetite, and moves quickly to internal organs shutting down. The human body can go about 40 days without food, but only a few days without water. For any trip longer than 2 hours, I pack either a 2-liter camel back or a pump filter, if there is a stream or source of water nearby. If you have to drink unfiltered water, try to find a spot where the water is either falling from a waterfall, or traveling over rocks for a good distance. This aerates the water, and lowers the chance of you getting diarrhea from drinking bad water. Standing water is never a good idea, especially smaller bodies of water.

Good luck! I'm sure your more experienced friends will look out for you, and make sure you're OK. If one person in your party is hurting or miserable, it effects everyone.

Aliasunknown on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bring a tarp for sure if you're not bringing a tent. You'll then want to lay down on that so that your sleeping bag doesn't get as wet due to overnight condensation.

Don't lay it out flat, fold/ridge it so that it's flat under you with ridges around your sleeping bag.

Since your friends are a bit more experienced, if you make a mistake here and there in packing it shouldn't be a big deal. They'll probably look out for you. Take care of your feet and drink lots of water.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Make sure you break in your new boots before hiking. Wear them around the house, on errands, etc.

Medopine on
  • Options
    testtubetesttube Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    iodine tablets work well with water purification, small and only take 30 minutes to purify as much as you need. poncho or tarp is great to have and if you need to get water you can always collect dew in fields by strapping some towels to your feet and walking around. a cellphone or radio would be good if for some reason you get separated from your friends and you can never have too many socks because you don't want to get an immersion related injury and not be able to walk anymore. and rope (550 chord from parachutes works amazingly well) because you can use it for almost anything from shelters to just attaching things to your backpack.
    You honestly don't need a towel unless you have shower facilities, bring a wash cloth otherwise because it's smaller and gets the job done. I went 8 days this summer with minimal food and no showers in colorado and it doesn't matter that much. also be aware of local wildlife, know how to react to different animals like bears and mountain lions, stare at mountain lions, don't stare at bears etc..

hopefully that can help.

testtube on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I know you have a LED flashlight on your list, but what I find is really helpful for when I go on climbing trips are those LED headlamps. They're great for setting up tents in the dark or any time you want to have both hands free.

Camelbak hydration packs are great and also help for keeping your hands free and that you don't have to fumble around with a nalgene bottle and pack/unpack it when needed. When I hiked the Grand Canyon I stuffed one in my backpack and routed the tube along the backpack harness to my mouth, I had cool water the entire trip thanks to that thing

VoodooV on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh, yeah, the rope. Be sure to bring some rope with you. It's versatile and good for a makeshift shelter. Also, be aware of what kind of wild life is in the area. You may need to use the rope to raise your pack in the air (using trees) if there's a concern about bears or other wildlife.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    wow you guys are oging overkill here in your recomendations.
    you are going for one night, so you don't need multple sets of clothes. maybe an extra pair of socks

heres what i would bring as far as clothes

whatever you are wearing
    extra socks for after the water
    some warm/comfy clothes for night, it will probably be cold and you can double it up to sleep in it if you are a cold sleeper and our bag isn't warm enough
    bathing suit sure if you swim
    maybe a hat for sun

your toiletries list is fine, you probably won't need a towel,

a tarp might be nice to have so you are not directly on the sand, its summer in california , its not going to rain.

as far as other stuff, maybe a deck of cards or some other form of entertainment like a frisbee

things you might want to add that i always have with me

a folding knife, a lighter/matches, small thing of hand sanitizer

defintiely find out the food situation, if its a group meal type thing, than you might want some trail snacks , otherwise it becomes a bit more compliated

i would definitely bring more water, 64 oz or two bottles worth

you shouldn't need hiking boots. a comfy pair of runnng shoes will work.

if you are responsible for your own food, you will likely want more. its tricky, you are not out that long so you can bring more fresh stuff to eat, but that is also going to weigh more. i would find out what the plan is food wise and the water situation and ask again

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, as stated you may need some more info. Food and drink number one. Water water water. Also I'm not sure what you mean by camping utensils, but a couple disposable plastic forks work out fine. If you're going to stop to prepare a meal at some point you'll need fire/heat, and something strong enough to withstand it (ie, pot/pan, stirring utensil, etc.).
    Number two the conditions of the trail you're hiking on. I mean, I've been "hiking" where its been as flat and even as sidewalk because of all the past traffic, and I've been "hiking" where there were fallen trees, rocks, creeks to cross, etc.

And I know guys and girls are different on this but if its just one overnight I'd personally just pack long clothes for a temp drop, and maybe a change of socks and underwear. I'd probably slum it and wear most of the same clothes both days. Bathing is a matter of opportunity. If there's going to be a place for it cool, if not you don't the toiletries for it. Even if there is, its only one overnight (again, girl vs guy thing here).

I'd say leave your good camera at home and buy a disposable, or take an old 35mm that you don't mind breaking or losing.

Also, bug spray is always nice to have along with the sunblock, just in case.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What is the trail like? If the terrain is uneven at all you're going to want more ankle support than you can get from cross-trainers. Remember, it's not just your weight, it's your weight+your gear that you're going to have to support, so in a situation where your ankle could support your weight tilting to the side, there's a good chance that the momentum of your pack shifting to that side would roll you over.

Additionally, if there aren't available water sources, you're going to have to pack all of your water with you.

You're taking too much clothing. Like people have said, you can get by with a set of warm clothes for night and cooler clothes for the day hike. Additionally, what is your sleeping bag rated? I just got back from a three day hike from the lower rainforest (Tongass) to the alpine on Wrangell Island, and I can tell you that though I brought a 0 degree bag I was still a bit cool on the 20-30 degree mountain top.

Toiletries: No reason to bring the comb, tie your hair up. Where are you planning on bathing? Personally, I wouldn't bother with the deodorant or the soap or the towel. The toilet paper, however, is a good call. You don't need to bring a whole roll for one day, but bring enough to get you by.

It's really easy to overpack thinking of things that might come in handy. Just remember to take a step back and think about what the essentials are and what will make your trip more pleasant. Your pack shouldn't be too heavy from what I see there and I think you should be alright with a little less. And, really, you're not out that long or that far from civilization.

Of course, for me, packing includes my Nikon D2X, at least three lenses and a 12-gauge, so "heavy" means something a little different here in Alaska.

Edit: I forgot to add that since you're going with friends be sure to check with them as to what they're bringing. A hot meal during a hike can really boost spirits, but if you need to lug along a camp stove, see if someone else can take the propane and spread the load around multiple packs.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You are taking waaaay too much stuff for a two day hike. Here's a pared down version of your list.

Clothes (including the clothes I'll wear):
    -- Shoes (cross-trainers, I don't have hiking boots)
    -- Socks x2 (One pair for hiking, the other pair for sleeping)
    -- Underwear x1 (You only need one pair)
    -- Sports bra x1 (Again, you only need one)
    -- T-shirts x1 (Again, you only need one)
    -- Gym shorts
    -- Bathing suit
    -- Scarf (Do you mean a small elastic hair tie?)

Toiletries:
    -- Contact lenses
    -- Sunblock
    -- Comb
    -- Toothbrush / toothpaste
    -- Toilet paper
    -- Bandana

Camping stuff:
    -- Backpack
    -- Sleeping bag
    -- Mat to sleep on
    -- Mini LED flashlight
    (the plan is no tents, and to just go home in the one-in-a-million chance it rains. I might have to carry a tarp or something)

Other stuff:
    -- Cellphone (in case of emergency? also the shiny screen is useful for putting in/taking out contact lenses)
    -- Mini-wallet (ID, and maybe emergency credit card/cash)
    -- Prescription meds and maybe a few Advil

It's the middle of the summer, so it's not going to get that cold. You'll be fine with a set of long underwear, so forget the hoodie and flannel pants. You will need a set of rain gear, so see if you can find a cheap set of rain pants and a jacket.

The thing you have to remember is that you have to layer your clothes in order to keep things light in your backpack. Your core outfit will be shorts and a t-shirt. If you get cold, put on your rain jacket. If you get really cold, put on your long underwear, then your core outfit, and put your rain gear on over that.

You only need one t-shirt, one pair of shorts, and two pairs of socks. Unless you're on your period that weekend, you will also only need one pair of underwear.

Bring a bandana instead of a towel.

If you can, swap out your camera for a small point and shoot. 3 pounds doesn't sound like much, but you'll feel every ounce of it on the trail.

You absolutely do not need deodorant. Trust me, everyone else is going to smell like dog shit too, so don't worry about it.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The clothes on your back, a decent supply of water, a couple of spare pairs of socks and a sturdy pair of walking shoes.

I've survived longer hikes with less, but never want to again. Anything else is a luxury (which you should obviously bring if you can handle the weight, but don't go overpacking because you think you need all of this stuff).

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Water (IMHO) is one of the most important things. If you're hiking 12 miles (and more!) with lots of gear, you will sweat and need to replace those fluids.

I'm serious here, bad stuff can happen if your body doesn't have enough water. My sister says 1 liter to per person per hour when hiking. 1/4 - 1/2 liter if your just "relaxing at camp".

There are four ways to get water:

Carry it. You know it's good water, but it's heavy.

Water filter: depending on filter; but a good one can kill bacteria, [most?] viruses and the high end ones can even remove chemicals and metals (and make it taste wonderful).

Chemicals: Can kill bacteria and some of the strong ones can kill Some virus. Can't remove chemicals or metals.

Boil it: Can kill bacteria and some virus [?]. Can't remove chemicals or metals.

Do NOT drink untreated water out in the field. It can really mess you up. Most state parks have wells you can fill up on (but make certain it's clean and good water approved for drinking). Even this water I typically filter 'just to be sure'.

Also take some gatorade or salt replacement [not just table salt!] mix with you. You'll want to replace your salts that you lose to sweat.

Personally I carry about 6-8 liters on my person and then also have a good water filter and then have chemical tablets (as a backup).

Back packs:

How much you can carry depends on your size, strength/endurance, frame and also type of pack. If you just have a duffel bag or 'school bag' back pack; then it'll be a lot harder to carry weight then if you have a good back packing backpack.

Typically though, most people can "comfortablly" carry 10% of their body weight with a good pack for a good amount of distance (at a walking pace). If you have just a 'normal' back pack, try to keep it under 10% because it'll be uncomfortable and awkward.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You absolutely do not need deodorant. Trust me, everyone else is going to smell like dog shit too, so don't worry about it.

True and secondly, some deodorant and perfume can attach bugs. So, you'll smell slightly better but will be attaching tons of bugs. Another trick to keep bugs away: Eat meals with LOTS of garlic before hand. In fact, each garlicy meals while camping too.

If you eat enough garlic, the sulfate [?] will be released though your pores and sweat and that repels the bugs.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Also a little 'med' kit is useful... some neosphoren and other disinfects and bandages. It'll weight hardly nothing, but good insurance for WHEN you get scrapped or banged up (not If :) )

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Everyone has GREAT ideas here. Im a backpacker in the pacific northwest so here are a few tips from me.

Pack all your clothes into freezer bags. If it rains, you have a leak in water containers, or whatever, itll keep your clothes dry. Also you can use your clothes as a pillow. My buddy just had an issue where his camel back sprung a leak in his bag, soaked his clothes because he didn't bag em. Also bag your toiletries.

Another thing, pack water and water only. I use lemon slices to flavor. I've found that my body doesn't like the added sugar of gatorades and other energy drinks. Your mileage may vary. To get your salt back, trailmix or peanuts. Good healthy protein and all the salt you could need.

Also deffinitly bring matches, a lighter, a knife. These things are VERY helpful. Also I cheat and bring just a small amount of firelog with me to help me start a fire if the situation requires it.

Also as a few other people have said. Get synthetic inner socks and wool outer socks. youll feet WILL LOVE YOU. as long as your feet feel good you can ignore any other pain your body will throw at you.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The other thing I ussually factor is; are you going to be hiking more or camping more?

If you are going to be hiking a lot; pack light. If you are going to be spending a lot of time at 'base camp', then pack heavier and more luxuries.

The thing is, if you pack light the hiking will be a breeze but camping will suck. if you pack heavy, hiking will be hell; but camping will be so nice.

So you basically have a trade off between having a good hike or having a good camp site; but not both :)

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Everyone has GREAT ideas here. Im a backpacker in the pacific northwest so here are a few tips from me. .

Whereabouts in the Pacific Northwest? I'm up here in Wrangell, AK and looking for someone to do a hike the length of the island with me.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    Everyone has GREAT ideas here. Im a backpacker in the pacific northwest so here are a few tips from me. .

Whereabouts in the Pacific Northwest? I'm up here in Wrangell, AK and looking for someone to do a hike the length of the island with me.

Damn when I said northwest i meant Oregon. I would kill to do some hiking in Alaska though. I envy you sir and your awesome outdoors.

Edit: what kind of mileage is that kind of hike?

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    From one tip to the other it looks to be about 30 Miles, but I'd give a little bit more looking at the topo.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rhino wrote: »

True and secondly, some deodorant and perfume can attach bugs. So, you'll smell slightly better but will be attaching tons of bugs. Another trick to keep bugs away: Eat meals with LOTS of garlic before hand. In fact, each garlicy meals while camping too.

If you eat enough garlic, the sulfate [?] will be released though your pores and sweat and that repels the bugs.

Funny story. After a long day of climbing at Shelf Road at Canon City, CO. we all go to the Pizza Madness joint in town for some greasy pizza then head back to the camp site for fun and debauchery. On the way back, my car stops off at the local Wal-mart for supplies. I had gotten my things and was waiting at the entrance with a female friend of mine. She notices that there is a salon right at the entrance of the Wal-Mart. She decides that she's going to go in real quick to get her hair washed. I chuckled and told her to go for it just for shits and grins. It didn't take long and like I said, we were waiting for someone else anyway.

So we get back to the campsite. Half the people were complimenting her on her hair, but the other half were giving her crap for not roughing it like the rest of us.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for the advice everyone! It actually turned out there was some problem with the permit and stuff, and we decided to just make it a day trip instead. It went really well, though my legs still feel like jelly. Haha.

Pure Din on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hiking is an amazing for fitness.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hiking is an amazing for fitness.

fun too!