As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The "Lose Your Faith in Humanity" Thread (Now With Inspring Words by Pony!)

• Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am kinda bored. Sort of want to chat with someone and I really want to snuggle

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    SlainbylichSlainbylich Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    Artreus wrote: »
    Man slain. No offense but you sound like a bitch. You should uh. Work on that attitude some. Seriously, confidence alone can make a huge difference.

Yeah, I mean I thought I was pretty self loathing but apparently this isn't the case. Sweet.

Well, I guess I can take pride in the fact that I can act as a self-loathing barometer for other people.

"Do you hate yourself 'this' much?"

"No, in fact looking at that makes me feel slightly better about myself."

Mission accomplished!
    t Slainbylich:

I mean dude sorry if that came out harsh or whatever

but it's true

so fix it and stop moaning about how terrible things are and focus on being more positive

christ

I can't lie to myself. I wish I could, but every time I try I just doesn't work.

I don't blame other people, mostly. I just blame myself for not really deserving to exist. I guess my self hatred has gotten to a level where it just naturally radiates outwards.

Slainbylich on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    what about you is so odious?

i mean, i don't know you, i couldn't say. but i'm sure you know, so let's hear it.

what is it about you that makes you derided? what do people make fun of you for? who makes fun of you?

people have reasons for hate and mockery. they're often not good reasons. but they're reasons, and if you've been mocked and hated, i'm sure you know all to well what they are.

let's hear it, man. have at it. or are you too afraid of what some random stranger with a silly my little pony avatar might think of you? are you too self-concerned to lay bare what the source of your seemingly deep dysfunction with your fellow man is?

let's see.

Actually, if I cared about what the internet thought of me, I wouldn't be posting.

Really I just see myself as a broken piece of equipment that needs to be thrown the fuck away. But you want reasons.

1) I'm ugly as shit, no one likes ugly people. My biggest problem would be my nose, which I've tried to fix but nothing ever works. Best solution would be to cut it off.
    2) My small collection of hobbies is focused around tabletop gaming, the second you mention anything about that in the area I live in you become "that guy".
    3) I'm overweight, no one likes overweight people. *I know I can fix this. I'm trying, really. But it isn't going to do me any good anyway, so why bother.*
    4) I know alot of useless crap that doesn't have any application to real life. "Oh wow, that totally reminds me of the 4th crusade where..." If I had other things to talk about this wouldn't be a problem, but I don't.
    5) I know jack shit about cars or professional sports, so 90% of the people I interact with I have nothing worth talking about. Of course, when I do mention things it's usually things they don't know about, which makes them defensive because I end up looking like an asshole(really I try not to be, but they're the ones asking me about it damnit).
    6) I have no sense of style. Either I'm a quiet observer or monologing about useless crap.

the next two don't really attribute to me per say, but I add them in because they bug me.

7) The college I go to just doesn't fit me, people here are so uptight and boring. I mean, it did evolve from a state normal school so that shouldn't surprise me. Not to mention that when I do get my fancy placemat(degree) no one is going to accept it.

8) My placemat is going to be worth shit anyway because of the name attached to it. I've been told by my professors that department heads with phd's from this shit hole are ignored in their professional field even though they have far more expertise than others in the same field.

I've grown to hate my degree anyway, but this just kicks the wind right out of me.

Those two problems are fixable, technically. If I had the money(I don't) I would transfer(but I don't, so I can't). I would also switch my degree to something actually applicaple to real life, but that would mean more wasted years in college. My poor choices really. I can see with perfect clarity the moment in highschool when I shot my future in the head.

1) Probably not as bad as you think, and also there are a lot of well liked and respected ugly people
    2) well either find the right people to mention it to or don't mention it. I'd recommend the former, but that's just me really. If you got a hobby you're good at, be proud of it, use it as a tool to find other people like you.
    3) There are plenty of people who like overweight people. But speaking for myself, burn that fat off, tubbo. You'd be amazed at the difference it could make.
    4) Man the 4th crusade was a pretty shitty crusade. It seems to me here that you are trying to hang out with people with whom you have nothing in common. That is do-able, admittedly, but I'll be damned if it ain't difficult. And hell, if people don't get your references, teach them. Just make it a good interesting story.
    5) Same problem as 4. Also could be fixed by learning these sort of things. Knowing about cars is pretty useful anyways.
    6) wrong. You probably have a sense of style or whatever the hell you're calling it. Just don't fuckin' stress it.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    Man slain. No offense but you sound like a bitch. You should uh. Work on that attitude some. Seriously, confidence alone can make a huge difference.

Yeah, I mean I thought I was pretty self loathing but apparently this isn't the case. Sweet.

Yeah I'm coming around to the fact that I am not a horrific person and I am actually way cooler around people than I used to be. Now I can laugh and stuff and ladies are actually attracted to me on occasion. It is pretty sweet.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tim and Eric make me lose faith in humanity

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    abloo abloo abloo

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Now you're just taking the bitchy easy way out.

Dare to help yourself man.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BibbleBibble __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    this thread is nice.

NOT!!!!

Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »

You beat me to this post.
    Bastard

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited August 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    neville wrote: »
    Viv gives good advice.
    She also will kick your ass for low monthly payments.
    Inquire within.

Hey nevs can I "inquire" within you?

error

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Straightzi wrote: »

i mean, i don't know you, i couldn't say. but i'm sure you know, so let's hear it.

what is it about you that makes you derided? what do people make fun of you for? who makes fun of you?

people have reasons for hate and mockery. they're often not good reasons. but they're reasons, and if you've been mocked and hated, i'm sure you know all to well what they are.

let's hear it, man. have at it. or are you too afraid of what some random stranger with a silly my little pony avatar might think of you? are you too self-concerned to lay bare what the source of your seemingly deep dysfunction with your fellow man is?

let's see.

Actually, if I cared about what the internet thought of me, I wouldn't be posting.

Really I just see myself as a broken piece of equipment that needs to be thrown the fuck away. But you want reasons.

1) I'm ugly as shit, no one likes ugly people. My biggest problem would be my nose, which I've tried to fix but nothing ever works. Best solution would be to cut it off.
    2) My small collection of hobbies is focused around tabletop gaming, the second you mention anything about that in the area I live in you become "that guy".
    3) I'm overweight, no one likes overweight people. *I know I can fix this. I'm trying, really. But it isn't going to do me any good anyway, so why bother.*
    4) I know alot of useless crap that doesn't have any application to real life. "Oh wow, that totally reminds me of the 4th crusade where..." If I had other things to talk about this wouldn't be a problem, but I don't.
    5) I know jack shit about cars or professional sports, so 90% of the people I interact with I have nothing worth talking about. Of course, when I do mention things it's usually things they don't know about, which makes them defensive because I end up looking like an asshole(really I try not to be, but they're the ones asking me about it damnit).
    6) I have no sense of style. Either I'm a quiet observer or monologing about useless crap.

the next two don't really attribute to me per say, but I add them in because they bug me.

7) The college I go to just doesn't fit me, people here are so uptight and boring. I mean, it did evolve from a state normal school so that shouldn't surprise me. Not to mention that when I do get my fancy placemat(degree) no one is going to accept it.

8) My placemat is going to be worth shit anyway because of the name attached to it. I've been told by my professors that department heads with phd's from this shit hole are ignored in their professional field even though they have far more expertise than others in the same field.

I've grown to hate my degree anyway, but this just kicks the wind right out of me.

Those two problems are fixable, technically. If I had the money(I don't) I would transfer(but I don't, so I can't). I would also switch my degree to something actually applicaple to real life, but that would mean more wasted years in college. My poor choices really. I can see with perfect clarity the moment in highschool when I shot my future in the head.

1) Probably not as bad as you think, and also there are a lot of well liked and respected ugly people
    2) well either find the right people to mention it to or don't mention it. I'd recommend the former, but that's just me really. If you got a hobby you're good at, be proud of it, use it as a tool to find other people like you.
    3) There are plenty of people who like overweight people. But speaking for myself, burn that fat off, tubbo. You'd be amazed at the difference it could make.
    4) Man the 4th crusade was a pretty shitty crusade. It seems to me here that you are trying to hang out with people with whom you have nothing in common. That is do-able, admittedly, but I'll be damned if it ain't difficult. And hell, if people don't get your references, teach them. Just make it a good interesting story.
    5) Same problem as 4. Also could be fixed by learning these sort of things. Knowing about cars is pretty useful anyways.
    6) wrong. You probably have a sense of style or whatever the hell you're calling it. Just don't fuckin' stress it.
    Also, three and one kind of go hand in hand

If you lose weight, you'll be more attractive to most people

People still fuck butterfaces.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    thorpe wrote: »

Bastard
    fuck you both

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Man teefs why are you acting like Bibble.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ahahahahaha

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    ShankusuShankusu __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    i have no clue what wiggin looks like

wiggin, what do you look like

Shankusu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

Bastard
    fuck you both

Face it it is terrible television programming.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Bastard
    fuck you both

Seriously

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    JarofmoldymayoJarofmoldymayo __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008

let's see.

Dude, if you really wanna change your life you gotta start focusing on what you really want and need out of it.

You have to realize what these things are and work hard to achieve them, not for anyone else but for yourself.

I'm going to say the reason people probably don't like you is not because any of the things you listed but because of your attitude.

People tend to like people who are confident and driven, not so beaten down as you seem to be now.

Change your attitude, and things will start to come together I think.

Basically focus on your own goals, for yourself. If one of those goals happens to be to have people like you more, start focusing on giving people good reasons to like you, such as broadening your horizons of interest, bettering your outward appearance, and most importantly for your learning to change your attitude about life in general.

Jarofmoldymayo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Bastard
    fuck you both

Face it it is terrible television programming.
    you're an idiot and your face smells

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i will hit this shit point by point.

that isn't totally true. it is true that people judge, make fun of, and generally outcast ugly people. i question how ugly you really are, given how clear it is you have massive self-esteem problems, but i'll take this at face value and say, okay you are ugly. there's nothing you can do about being ugly other than make the rest of you someone worth looking past the appearance for.

the answer for this seems obvious: expand your hobbies. not just so you can have conversations with other people, but so that you are a more well-rounded and experienced human being, who can enjoy a wide variety of things in different social settings.

i play D&D, i used to be hardcore into warhammer 40k. tabletop gaming is fun, and a great hobby. i encourage you to continue doing so, but if it's your only hobby then you certainly are that guy and always will be.

this is like being ugly, in that people will judge you by your appearance and it will be a factor in how you meet and relate to others. like your apparent ugliness, i wonder just how overweight you really are, but again taking you just at your word, let's just accept that you are overweight to the point that other people are disgusted by you and see you as a fat guy.

fix it. get in shape. you say you are trying? good. keep at it. it isn't useless. if you are truly as overweight as you make it out to be, you will have an improvement in your quality of life by getting in shape. don't just lose weight, get in shape. get some muscle mass. get good cardio. people will treat you better, and you'll feel better about yourself. the funny thing about actually getting stronger is you actually feel stronger too!

I'm lumping these three things together because they're the same basic problem.
    this is a choice you are making, and are continueing to make. the way you describe yourself, it's like you've chosen to adopt the stereotypical definition of a god damn nerd. grow up. knock that shit off. you can enjoy warhammer and medievel history and other "nerdy" pursuits and not allow that to be the whole of who you are.

YOU are choosing to define yourself this way. the reason people see you as "that guy", the reason you can't have chit chat with your peers about pop culture and general goings on? the reason you find it awkward when you have no idea what everyone else is on about? this is your fault. not their's. YOU are making the choice to say "i am a nerdy dude who likes tabletop gaming and holds sports and popular culture in contempt".

YOU are choosing to alienate yourself, and everyone else is just going with your choice. It's a weak-force choice, like a gravitational pull everyone else will just naturally flow with the choice you've made because you don't give them any reason not to.

YOU are choosing to have no sense of style. YOU are choosing to show no interest in sports or anything else anyone around you is interested.

Grow up! look up from your finely painted miniatures and history books and see the god damn world around you happening. stop rejecting people because you think their interests are beneath you, because in the end, that is what you think and we both know it.

the core of this alienation is your choice to be alienated, and until that changes, nothing about your life will.

how about you drop out of college, if it's so worthless, expensive, you hate it, and it won't go anywhere?

why don't you try to get a job in a different field, or go to a different school for a different subject?

or are you just going to get defeated that so easily by your past mistakes.

the choice to end regret is also the choice to stop letting your mistakes control you.

stop regretting your life, and start living it.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No, Tim and Eric is pretty bad. Along with most of what has come out of Adult Swim in the past few years. Aside from Venture brothers and a few other shows. All of their live action bullshit though..

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Actually I do kind of smell. I didn't take a shower after running today.

But I protest your derisive labeling of me as an "idiot" and will speak most loquaciously to hold your vile accusations at bay.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I fucking hate getting taller

These jeans used to be baggy and now they are just above my ankles

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No, Tim and Eric is pretty bad. Along with most of what has come out of Adult Swim in the past few years. Aside from Venture brothers and a few other shows. All of their live action bullshit though..

Don't forget Squidbillies.

God.

Don't forget Squidbillies.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    also viv really does give good (girl) advice (haven't gone to her for advice on other stuff, yet)

pretty much every time i disagreed with her i later realized that i disagreed out of my own ignorance

also I find that most of the time I have a conflict it's between something I want to do and something I should do, and she's pretty good at assigning a label to each option

Shankusu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    THANK GOD FOR DOCTOR PHIL

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I know growing up is a scary thought but if you just stick with it

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    JarofmoldymayoJarofmoldymayo __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    THANK GOD FOR DOCTOR PHIL

Stinkin thinkin

Jarofmoldymayo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Chicks dig tall dudes.

Unless you are like freak tall.

Then you just have to play basketball and the babes are once more flocking.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    how does it feel to be wrong let me know

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Chicks dig tall dudes.

I'm 5' 10"

I'm about average height, but these jeans are too short

I like being tall, but I also like having jeans that don't look like highwaters

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    SlainbylichSlainbylich Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I agree with this.

Slainbylich on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It ain't for you

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

1) "no one likes ugly people" is a stupid and poor excuse; you just don't like the way you look and you go ahead and assume that your appearance has a screaming damn to do with how likable you are as a person when it doesn't

2) there's nothing wrong with liking tabletop gaming and the fact that you seem to think it is a bad thing means you have a serious attitude problem; you like what you like, who gives a fuck what it is you're into? if you really have an issue with your small list of hobbies, go try some new shit to expand your interests

3) you may be trying to fix this but your attitude is half-assed and pathetic. either commit yourself to fixing it, or don't. don't fucking lie to yourself and make excuses for your own laziness and apathy

4) this just means you don't know when to use interesting facts to make them interesting. there is an opportunity for any kind of trivial knowledge to be interesting and useful. you just lack poor timing. plus, how about you try listening to what other people are talking about and seeing what's interesting about THAT stuff, rather than obsessing over the fact that you don't think you have anything to say? you just think it's uninteresting because you've locked yourself into thinking that the things you like are nerdy and OH GOD NOBODY LIKES NERDS OH NOES

5) if 90% of the people you interact with like the stuff you don't, you are interacting with the wrong people. you don't have to like cars or sports to be well-liked and not everyone on the face of the planet likes them, either. this means you are just using this as an excuse to further find reasons as to why it's not worth a change in attitude. you think people have to be into a certain thing to be liked and you use the fact that you are NOT into those things as a shield for your own laziness. if you don't like sports or cars, FINE! that doesn't make you a worthless human being. using them as excuses to not change your attitude, however, DOES

6) bullshit. more excuses.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    how does it feel to be wrong let me know

Kind of warm and muggy?

Also Dr. Phil is the worst person. Isn't he finally starting to get some negative attention for being a general shit-head? I am not sure, but I remember reading an article recently about terrible business practices and lack of a license for anything.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Chicks dig tall dudes.

I'm 5' 10"

I'm about average height, but these jeans are too short

I like being tall, but I also like having jeans that don't look like highwaters

Get new jeans.

You are at perfect height to act as a roost for chicks, best not let the opportunity pass.

Puns

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I agree with this.
    wanna meet that dad

smells like rotten meat

Shankusu on