As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wireless router, CSS not fully loading

YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a problem that began two nights ago with the purchase of a D-Link WBR-1310 Wireless B/G router. I am running XP SP2 and using Firefox 3.

The large majority of the time I load a website, the CSS doesn't fully load and I only get unformatted text versions with some images missing as well. This happens on multiple different sites like Digg, these PA forums, my online banking etc. This problem happens with both Firefox and IE7.

Now the strange part. There are two other computers connected to the router (one running XP SP2 and one running Vista, one hardwired and one wireless) and neither have the problem I am describing.

I do not have this problem if I am directly connected to the internet or if i'm connected through a switch. It's only if I connect through the router, both wired or wireless.

Any ideas?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
YourFatAuntSusan on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sounds like there's some lag time or some sort of interference strictly with your computer. Since you say it doesn't happen to any other computer, and doesn't happen when you're connected directly, it's got to be a wireless signal issue.

Your best bet is to default all the wireless settings, switch to a channel like 1, 6, or 11, and check your signal strength.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This problem happens when I connect to the router via cat5 as well.

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    Sorry I missed that. You said it doesn't happen when connected to the switch, is this switch directly into the router?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited August 2008
    bowen wrote: »
    Sorry I missed that. You said it doesn't happen when connected to the switch, is this switch directly into the router?

Nope, there was a period of a couple days when we weren't using a router (we just moved) and only had the switch hooked up to the cable modem.

(ps I know not using a router is bad)

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    Try upgrading your firmware and disabling the on-board firewall. You may just have a faulty router.

bowen on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What happens when you access the stylesheet directly?

For example, http://forums.penny-arcade.com/clientscript/vbulletin_css/style-812156bd-00002.css

Smasher on
    edited August 2008
    I see the CSS code.

Edit, i'm also noticing I cannot download torrents. They won't start. I was previously able to get 800+ kbps.

Also, sometimes I have to click on a link 3-4 times to get it to actually go anywhere.

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    I'd like to update this for more help.

This problem is now happening when i'm directly connected to the modem (bypassing the router) so it's not a router issue. Pages are only partially loading and torrent traffic will not work. Speed tests and gaming is still fine (I get a good ping in IL2).

I've confirmed with my ISP that I am not being capped or throttled. His tests on the cable modem came back fine.

Any other ideas?

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    Does it happen with both internet explorer and firefox?

bowen on
    edited August 2008
    bowen wrote: »
    Does it happen with both internet explorer and firefox?

IE7, Firefox 3 and Firefox 2.

AVG on and off, Windows Firewall on and off.

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]