Options

Why do I overheat like a motherfucker?

ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, I'm not in terrible shape. 5'10", 161 lb. I play racquetball three days a week, do pushups regularly, and go on walks most every day. I also have two small children. But for some reason, when I work out - particularly when playing racquetball - I get really, really, ridiculously hot.

It doesn't help that I often play in this stupid room that may as well be a greenhouse and has no AC, but even when playing in a room not designed to kill you, I still get hotter than I would expect. Like, bright red, waves of heat coming off me, takes me about 30 minutes of sitting with my shirt off after running cold water all over my fave for five minutes to return to normal. And I've been doing this for about 8 months, so it's not like my body isn't used to the exercise.

I drink plenty of water, before, during and after playing. Curiously, my normal temperature runs slightly low (about 97.3F). It's annoying as fuck. Is there anything I can do to not overheat so much?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
ElJeffe on

• Options
    nosnibornosnibor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Have you seen a doctor about this? The low normal temperature seems more worrisome to me than overheating after a workout.

I do know that inability to regulate body temperature can be a very serious warning sign for kidney failure, but if you had that you wouldn't be able to process much water either. And you'd probably feel very fatigued after your workouts.

For a non-medical solution, I'd suggest changing your workout clothing, either wearing less of it or changing to a more breathable material.

nosnibor on
    When you're a spy, it's a good idea to give away your trade secrets in a voiceover on a TV show.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I too would like to know if there is something that can be done. Do you sweat excessively El Jeffe?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    siberia77siberia77 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do you have a fast metabolism that you know of?

siberia77 on
    Free Forum Avatars - wide variety of Avatars eg comics, videogames, MMA, babes etc
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    eh,, some people just run hotter than others. ny normal temp is on the low end too. its similar to how some people are cold or hot sleepers. i suggest looking into wicking clothes

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited August 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    I too would like to know if there is something that can be done. Do you sweat excessively El Jeffe?

Not really. I get moderately sweaty when I work out, but for the most part I'm not terribly damp or smelly.

My metabolism used to be really fast, but it's slowed down since I got older. I'd say it's about normal. When it was fast, I didn't seem to heat up as much. I played racquetball back in college and don't recall it being an issue.

I'm not really concerned with my normal temp, since it's always been low and no doctor has ever mentioned it as worrisome.

And what are "wicking" clothes? My usual racquetball wardrobe consists of loose shorts and a cotton tee.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    john fechonjohn fechon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think 'wicking' clothes are stuff like underarmor and the like.

john fechon on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have exactly the same thing. Low normal temp, get very hot easily (though cold doesn't bother me).

I grew up in North Kitsap and the local doctor (rural area, there was like 1 pediatrician in the country back then) said that nearly every kid who grew up in NK has a normal temp of 97-97.5.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Yeah, I ain't paying $40 for a racquetball tee shirt. I'll just sweat and pant, thank you.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    john fechonjohn fechon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Yeah, I ain't paying $40 for a racquetball tee shirt. I'll just sweat and pant, thank you.

I picked mine up for $20-$25 at REI and Hudson Trail.

john fechon on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wicked clothes are often Polyester, which can keep your body hotter than normal. They remove sweat, but the heat stays. Cotton keeps you cooler, but it absorbs the sweat and makes you look wet. And you could get those wicking clothes at Academy or Sports Authority for about $10 from the Russell brand.

The only other thing it could be is possibly playing in front of people and maybe a sense of not wanting to be embarrassed, and getting red when it happens? Playing a sport in front of people does that. Depending on the raquetball room, maybe people can watch you on the second floor or you have a glass room? You're playing but you also have that feeling like "I can't mess up in front of people, I need to look like a smooth criminal."

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MooblyMoobly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    nosnibor wrote: »
    Have you seen a doctor about this? The low normal temperature seems more worrisome to me than overheating after a workout.

Please, don't go to the doctor for this. He will take your temperature, tell that you're fine, and gladly take your copay. When he leaves the room he will call his buddy from medical school to tell them that an otherwise rational adult just paid to be told he was paranoid about nothing.

If you're not running a temperature under...say....96.5F...and you're still feeling fine, don't worry about it. You're normal.

Moobly on
    steam_sig.png

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. "
    -Aldous Huxley
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jeffe, I'm assuming you aren't a vegetarian, but are you getting enough b12 and enough potassium? If you're by chance on a low sodium diet, you could be missing out on potassium as well which messes up your renal system's feedback.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you get hot like described, but sometimes without physical activity, get your thyroid and hormones checked.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Are you sure you're drinking enough water? If you're exploding with heat and NOT sweating massively, that sounds a bit odd. Maybe my standards are odd (due to living on the surface of the sun) but from your OP, I'd expect you to be dripping with sweat. Then later on you say you're only moderately sweaty.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I run hot too, like enough to warm up the room. Also got elevated blood pressure.

I assume you've had your blood pressure checked during exams?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    - My blood pressure is fine, as far as I know (I have it checked during check-ups).

- My idea of "moderately sweaty" may be off. The back of my neck, my underarms, the small of my back, and so on are pretty wet, and my shirt is damp, but I don't look like I jumped in a pool.

- I never get hot without physical activity, so I don't think that's an issue.

- I highly doubt it's embarassment. I sometimes play in a room with transparent walls, and sometimes in a room with opaque walls, with no difference. Also, I'm a pretty decent player - better than 90% of the folks who play around here anyway, which isn't saying much - and I'm not the least bit self-conscious about playing with or in front of strangers.

- I'll look into the potassium/B12 thing. I'm not a vegetarian and eat meat daily, but it's worth looking into.

I'm sort of resigned to the idea that this is just how my body works. If so, whatever, I suppose.

ElJeffe on