As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Braid | Be kind, rewind (coming to PSN on Nov. 12 in NA)

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I haven't tried most of the speed runs yet, but I thought the Jumpman speedrun level was a blast. Not only was that a pretty fun level, but in order to beat the posted time, you have to play it in a very different manner than the way I beat it the first time.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I hunkered down and played the extent of the game yesterday. After getting all the puzzle pieces and getting the ending, oh man, I was just ecstatic with the whole experience. I checked out the Speed Run levels and decided screw that, I'm done with the game for now ;[

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh GAWD...

Zero Punctuation reviews Braid

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/203-Braid

(He loved it, he still roasted it to oblivion <3)

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    XenoScholarXenoScholar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The main game speed run is pretty challenging, but it's not that bad. IMO, it's the perfect target time. You need to be proficient with each stage and know exactly what to do at each stage, but you don't have to feel panicked and execute some ridiculous strategy perfectly. If you can't beat the target time, it's probably because you don't have the right strategies.

After a bit of trying the stages without the timer, I got 43:xx my first try. And it was a great experience.

Fortunately, time STOPS when you're assembling the puzzle pieces. You don't have to worry about finding an optimal solution for that.

And agreeing with other people in this thread, I thought there was not a single unfair puzzle piece, and all the mechanics were very obvious (or could be found out with 30 seconds of experimentation). However, each stage was a unique way of applying them that made everything so fresh and rewarding. You were never told what to do, but each solution was fair and reasonable. I've seen the hardest piece in Elevator Action solved multiple ways, and each way makes good sense in the game context.

This is one of the most memorable experiences I've had in a game for a long time.

XenoScholar on
    Check out my demonstration of the Street Fighter 4 hard trial combos, showing hands on the joystick, on my Youtube channel!
    Current characters done: Ryu, Dan, C. Viper
    Xbox Live: Infilament
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is it me or do you think the programmer prototyped this game with hacked SMB3 sprites. That's probably why MS kept declining his app for XBL.

halkun on
  • Options
    Ghost HandsGhost Hands Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    halkun wrote: »
    Is it me or do you think the programmer prototyped this game with hacked SMB3 sprites. That's probably why MS kept declining his app for XBL.

Umm. What are you talking about?

Ghost Hands on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Umm. What are you talking about?

I think he's talking about the initial similarities to Mario. :|

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Okay, I can somehow see a tenuous logical connection there that if a game is an homage to Mario, then it ***must*** have used ripped sprites because there is no other way to do it!!!!, and now I am trying to figure out "MS kept declining his app for XBL."

Ghost Hands on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    When you make a game, you tend to prototype it using stand-in art. Looking at the game, looks obvious that the very first engine tests and prototyping were probably done with SMB sprites. (Nothing wrong with this, developers use stand-in graphics all the time.)

When you make an XBL game, you have to submit your game to Microsoft. If MS doesn't like the game for any reason, it can be rejected for XBL. When that happens, you have to fix the game and submit it again. You see, the developer for Braid was having problems, getting Microsoft's OK for XBL. I'm wondering if MS was rejecting Braid because, even though the art was changed, it still held too much of a resemblance to the original prototype sprites.

I was wondering if anyone else thinks that too.

I also wonder what it would be like to play with the original prototype sprites. That would be fun.

halkun on
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When you make a game, you tend to prototype it using stand-in art. Looking at the game, looks obvious that the very first engine tests and prototyping were probably done with SMB sprites. (Nothing wrong with this, developers use stand-in graphics all the time.)

When you make an XBL game, you have to submit your game to Microsoft. If MS doesn't like the game for any reason, it can be rejected for XBL. When that happens, you have to fix the game and submit it again. You see, the developer for Braid was having problems, getting Microsoft's OK for XBL. I'm wondering if MS was rejecting Braid because, even though the art was changed, it still held too much of a resemblance to the original prototype sprites.

I also wonder what it would be like to play with the original prototype sprites. That would be fun.

I've actually seen the original sprites. I think they were in a 1UP video review. They just look like shitty programmer art.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

This is really quite hilarious, considering who you're explaining it to.

Akinos on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Okay, I can somehow see a tenuous logical connection there that if a game is an homage to Mario, then it ***must*** have used ripped sprites because there is no other way to do it!!!!, and now I am trying to figure out "MS kept declining his app for XBL."

Akinos wrote: »

This is really quite hilarious, considering who you're explaining it to.

God yes, I just realised. That's damn funny :P

Daxon on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh I've reported that for awesomeness. Because you know.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Huh, well look at that. I didn't realize you were slumming it with us lowly users. :P

I guess I stand corrected.

halkun on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Didn't someone say that if you rewind time in the first stage for like 10 minutes you can play with the original sprites?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I've got a quick question, hopefully Ghost Hands will answer, or maybe someone else knows:

When Braid comes for PC will it be sold on Steam or some place else? Steam would be great, really. I'd buy it for $20.

Daxon on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You guys should release a Memento-like director's cut where you can play everything in double-reverse.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Daxon wrote: »
    I've got a quick question, hopefully Ghost Hands will answer, or maybe someone else knows:

When Braid comes for PC will it be sold on Steam or some place else? Steam would be great, really. I'd buy it for $20.

Someone can correct me, but I don't think it's been announced definitively yet. That being said, I have heard Steam mentioned as a possibility, and it seems like it'd be right up Steam's alley.

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    twmjr wrote: »

Someone can correct me, but I don't think it's been announced definitively yet. That being said, I have heard Steam mentioned as a possibility, and it seems like it'd be right up Steam's alley.

They should release the source code in the back of a magazine for free and make you type it in.

Drez on
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    twmjr wrote: »

They should release the source code in the back of a magazine for free and make you type it in.

It would obviously be printed backwards.

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Diarb.

Drez on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wait so ghost hands worked on braid?

I'm not gay or anything, but giving a "thank you" blowjob wouldn't be entirely out of the question.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I'm not gay or anything, but giving a "thank you" blowjob wouldn't be entirely out of the question.
    Ghost Hands is Jonathon Blow, aka the dude who made Braid.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    One more jigsaw piece and I'm done!

Concerning the zeropunctuation review he reminded me of a part of the game I'm still scratching my head at. Am I missing some point to the parts where you have two locked doors and one of them will break the key, whereas the other will open or is it just a 50/50 shot? Considering how well designed most of the game is it stands out as odd to me.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Ghost Hands is Jonathon Blow, aka the dude who made Braid.

Let me go get my knee pads.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »

Concerning the zeropunctuation review he reminded me of a part of the game I'm still scratching my head at. Am I missing some point to the parts where you have two locked doors and one of them will break the key, whereas the other will open or is it just a 50/50 shot? Considering how well designed most of the game is it stands out as odd to me.
    One of the keys can't be rewound, so rewinding will close the door but the key will remain used up.

That was one thing I didn't think was all that fair about the ZP review. Reusing the basic premise of a puzzle isn't out of laziness, it's to help you get better acquainted with the new mechanic.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, Yahtzee actually just didn't get the puzzles where the key "breaks".

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    He obviously had to look for something wrong, otherwise he wouldn't be doing his thing.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

One of the keys can't be rewound, so rewinding will close the door but the key will remain used up.

That was one thing I didn't think was all that fair about the ZP review. Reusing the basic premise of a puzzle isn't out of laziness, it's to help you get better acquainted with the new mechanic.

I got to admit, relying on the momentum of your shadow to do something that you didn't tell it do can be a little counter-intuitive at first.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

No, that's not the one. There's one where you have two doors, and on one the key just breaks, and the door stays locked.
    It was in the world where your back and forth motion advances/rewinds time, so I'm guessing it was because you had to unlock it while moving to the right, instead of the left...or something?

Honestly, I agree with him, there are a couple puzzles that are just weird, because they basically require you to discover something about how the world works in order to solve it, without explaining it or hinting at it before hand. Things like, having to hit the goomba from below to bounce it up, or that your shadow will keep moving after you jump, even if rewinding in air. These are things that really annoyed me since they're not the kind of thing that are intuitive while you're playing, at least not to me. It's one thing to have to figure out how several things work together, it's another thing to figure out a whole new thing with no clues.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I dunno. I beat all the puzzles (minus star hunting) without even talking to anyone about the game, much less look up hints or walkthroughs. Yes, some of those puzzles took me awhile. But I think that's why this game is so masterful.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well a few things were confusing to me, and I couldn't figure it out without a walkthrough. But, then again, myst was like that too. You were just given the tools, you just had to figure out how they worked on your own. And you can't really say it's a bad thing if you think about it like that.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

No, that's not the one. There's one where you have two doors, and on one the key just breaks, and the door stays locked.
    It was in the world where your back and forth motion advances/rewinds time, so I'm guessing it was because you had to unlock it while moving to the right, instead of the left...or something?

Honestly, I agree with him, there are a couple puzzles that are just weird, because they basically require you to discover something about how the world works in order to solve it, without explaining it or hinting at it before hand. Things like, having to hit the goomba from below to bounce it up, or that your shadow will keep moving after you jump, even if rewinding in air. These are things that really annoyed me since they're not the kind of thing that are intuitive while you're playing, at least not to me. It's one thing to have to figure out how several things work together, it's another thing to figure out a whole new thing with no clues.

Ah, okay, I know which one you mean now.
    When you're walking left, time is flowing backwards. The key is time immune. If you grab it and walk to the right-hand door, It'll trigger the door to unlock and then become unusable. However, during this time you're necessarily standing still, so time is frozen, meaning that the door can't move. By the time you can move to the right, the key is out of the door and already used, so it never recognized being unlocked. Even if you could open it by moving to the right, it would close if you were to try and approach it.

World 4 is definitely the hardest level to wrap your head around.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aha, that finally makes sense.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, there's a lot of things that made sense after I did them, it's just that I couldn't always predict how things would act sometimes, so I had no way to know to try something.

Really though, that's just being nitpicky, it was still an awesome game, and I loved it for all of the day it took me to beat. :P

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You see, the developer for Braid was having problems, getting Microsoft's OK for XBL. I'm wondering if MS was rejecting Braid because...

This is completely false. Microsoft called me because they were interested in Braid (I didn't have to call them first), and they accepted the game as soon as I sent them the early version (they talked it over at their next greenlight meeting, as they do with all games, and accepted it during that meeting). Likewise, at the end of development when the game entered certification testing, it passed the first time.
    theclam wrote:
    I've actually seen the original sprites. I think they were in a 1UP video review. They just look like shitty programmer art.

That's exactly what they were. It was stuff I drew in Photoshop in the minimum possible amount of time, without even any animation.

Ghost Hands on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You see, the developer for Braid was having problems, getting Microsoft's OK for XBL. I'm wondering if MS was rejecting Braid because...

This is completely false. Microsoft called me because they were interested in Braid (I didn't have to call them first), and they accepted the game as soon as I sent them the early version (they talked it over at their next greenlight meeting, as they do with all games, and accepted it during that meeting). Likewise, at the end of development when the game entered certification testing, it passed the first time.
    theclam wrote:

That's exactly what they were. It was stuff I drew in Photoshop in the minimum possible amount of time, without even any animation.

Shut up and kiss me.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I dunno, Sage. It's one of those games you have to experiment in. I mean, the Manhattan Project subtext is an allusion to experimentation too, no? Tim is the experimenting kind of guy. Anyway, I think the game provides the bare essentials for you to solve every puzzle on your own. I mean I am not lying when I say I figured the entire game out without going to hints and I normally don't have the time to be bothered doing that but here everything clicks if you think about it long enough, if you analyze things outside of the box, and especially if you experiment. It's all about rules and manipulating the game world to make those rules work for you instead of working for the way the level wants to work. It's basically you versus the machine, but the machine provides all the answers you need.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    I dunno, Sage. It's one of those games you have to experiment in. I mean, the Manhattan Project subtext is an allusion to experimentation too, no? Tim is the experimenting kind of guy. Anyway, I think the game provides the bare essentials for you to solve every puzzle on your own. I mean I am not lying when I say I figured the entire game out without going to hints and I normally don't have the time to be bothered doing that but here everything clicks if you think about it long enough, if you analyze things outside of the box, and especially if you experiment. It's all about rules and manipulating the game world to make those rules work for you instead of working for the way the level wants to work. It's basically you versus the machine, but the machine provides all the answers you need.

The problem is when for certain puzzles, the rule of the world which allows you to solve the puzzle is one that you discover by solving the puzzle.

The couple that I did look up, I don't regret it, because I would never have figured them out on my own. The way I go through the puzzles is by looking at the end result of what needs to be done, and working backwards to the starting point. I don't just try every possible action to see if something changes, because that's brute forcing and that's silly.

edit:: oh dang, there's actually a developer in the thread and I'm griping. I really did enjoy the game, I swear! Just two or three of the puzzles caused me to tear my hair out!

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I think I might've figured out something
    The epilogue book talking about the candy store might be some kind of statement on how mankind is too immature to use science correctly. It's saying that this mother-figure was trying to keep us away from all these things that we just want to eat/experiment with, and end up hurting ourselves by rotting our teeth/making atomic bombs.

NickTheNewbie on