As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NHL 09 - I don't want no stinkin' Rut Beer

truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
Ok, please someone tell me I'm missing the thread already made for this game!!!

how is nobody talking about this. Going to be released in September and have a mode where the game will be a hockey based MMO!

We could have an all PA team.

Sorry I don't have teh skillz to make one of those awesome first posts with all the game info, collect gamer tags.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Steam
XBOX
truck-a-sauras on

• Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I haven't put a lot of time into any hockey games since NHL 2004 and NHL2K5. The last gen NHLs after 2004 were unplayable for me. Looking forward to this one, though. Looks fantastic.

Tzen on
  • Options
    RhapsodyRhapsody Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm definitely interested in this, and it may be what makes me pay for a Gold account. Gametrailers has a few things on it:

New features trailer:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37685.html

Honestly I'm not all that impressed by this one, although I am glad they're focusing more on defense this time around. That was my main beef with NHL 08 vs NHL2K8, was that EA's version felt like there was very little the defense could do to stop the puck.

Defense trailer:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37489.html

Eh, kinda a waste of time I think, but it's footage nonetheless, so.

Hockey League trailer:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37454.html

Now THIS is what I'm psyched about. I'm so down for making a PA team, but I'll have to see how they handle the season. Being in college, my schedule kinda fluctuates a lot, so it'd be interesting to see how they actually implement the league.

Rhapsody on
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Did they make it so playing as the goalie in the zoomed in camera doesn't slow the game down to half the fucking frame rate? THAT would improve defense.

I love hockey, and 08 had good puck physics and animation, but it wasn't as fun as 2k8, and the goalie there was actually playable. I played both games, for different reasons. My team/Phoenix still sucked (understandably) in either of them, so I got frustrated.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    In 2K8 the majority of the time I scored a goal, it felt good, like I accomplished what I meant to do. In 08 though, I never really got a good feel of how to score, and most of the time I did I kinda stared blankly. It felt too random, too much dependency on the goalie letting something easy go by than it was nailling a good one timer or slap to the top corner of the net. Underwhelming is the word I'm looking for.

If they can fix that in 09, I'm instant-sold.

Rhapsody on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    surprising info about 2008..... most game sites mark NHL08 as best sports game of the year and so far most here say they prefer 2K8. I passed on last year so I don't know, but after playing the 2K8 demo I thought it was going to be utter garbage. I was set to but NHL09 on day 1 with no thought behind it as 08 was lauded as great by reviewers and this year would just be even more polished.

Maybe I should wait to hear whether to go the 2K route.

The EA online league MMO type mode really peaks my interest, but as it is the first time implementing such a game type I really anticipate some major flaws.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll say my interest is piqued. Possibly even enough to join a team...possibly.

I wonder two things:

1- Have they finally realised that there are schmucks out there to like to quit out when the believe they're going to lose? And taken some kind of measure to either prevent it or at least punish those who do?*

2- Will online League games devolve into what normally happens when multiple people attempt to play on the same team? As in, puck hogging or constant attempts to get the puck even if it means playing out of position?

*Yes, I know it'd be unfair to those who have crappy connections... Anybody else have a better idea to discourage game dropping nozzles?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, I'm guessing that the online league thing doesn't track across platforms, and that I'm the only schmuck here who would be playing on the PC, right?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    MegoDrDoomMegoDrDoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I may consider a purchase just for the awesome Slap Shot reference. :^:

me and my brother usually spring for a cheap copy after its been out for a while, seeing as how you can pretty much just update the roster and you've got yourself a up to date game regardless of the year.

NHL 95 still reigns supreme...

MegoDrDoom on
    XBL and PSN - MegoDrDoom
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rhapsody wrote: »

Honestly I'm not all that impressed by this one, although I am glad they're focusing more on defense this time around. That was my main beef with NHL 08 vs NHL2K8, was that EA's version felt like there was very little the defense could do to stop the puck.

Well seeing as how it is illegal to play defense in the league nowadays I guess it atleast makes EA's versions more accurate.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'll say my interest is piqued. Possibly even enough to join a team...possibly.

I wonder two things:

1- Have they finally realised that there are schmucks out there to like to quit out when the believe they're going to lose? And taken some kind of measure to either prevent it or at least punish those who do?*

2- Will online League games devolve into what normally happens when multiple people attempt to play on the same team? As in, puck hogging or constant attempts to get the puck even if it means playing out of position?

*Yes, I know it'd be unfair to those who have crappy connections... Anybody else have a better idea to discourage game dropping nozzles?

That's always the biggest problem with these kind of games. The whole dropping out as soon as one side gets the lead. Hopefully they'll be able to integrate some sort of seamless drop in/drop out mechanic, so if someone does bail they get punished, but a cpu takes their place so the game continues on. How to distinguish between crappy connections and bad sportsmanship is I'm guessing near impossible, and I don't want to sound assinine, but you may have to treat them as one in the same. I can't think of much worse than trying to check someone who's lagging. D:

Rhapsody on
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    So, I'm guessing that the online league thing doesn't track across platforms, and that I'm the only schmuck here who would be playing on the PC, right?

Like most other EA Sports games, I don't think it's even coming out on PC this year. If it does, it's going to be the last-gen engine.

Tzen on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Woooow
    NHL League? Count me in.
    It'll definitely get me to renew my Gold subscription.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Tzen wrote: »
    GoodOmens wrote: »

Like most other EA Sports games, I don't think it's even coming out on PC this year. If it does, it's going to be the last-gen engine.

Yeah, EA is pretty terrible at their sport ports on the PC. Madden 08 was horrendous! I wouldn't hold out much hope for NHL 09 being anything like the console version on the PC

Rhapsody on
  • Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

That's always the biggest problem with these kind of games. The whole dropping out as soon as one side gets the lead. Hopefully they'll be able to integrate some sort of seamless drop in/drop out mechanic, so if someone does bail they get punished, but a cpu takes their place so the game continues on.

That's basically how it worked in 08's online. If your opponent quit on you, you had the choice of getting an automatic win, or you could choose to finish the game against the cpu. The only "punishment" for the player who dropped was to add to their DNF record though.

I haven't read anything at all about the new game, but if we're going to have PA games I'll probably pick it up. Hell, if we aren't going to have PA games I'll probably pick it up. I played the fuck out of NHL 08. :P

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • Options
    dr0neboydr0neboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm also up for the league!

Is the MMO only user created teams?

The problem with the NHL franchise right now is that I always play as Pittsburgh (have done since NHL 94 on the snes) but now I can't since it's lame to play as either of the teams from the finals... What to do...

dr0neboy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Long time Pens fan myself (living in Michigan no less) but seeing as how their new roster will be missing about 5 guys they finished with last year I don't think it will be too lame to play as them. And if it is? I'll fall back to The Sens or the Devils.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing as the Pens. In fact, I encourage it. It's what I will always and ever do.

Schide on
  • Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Being a Predators fan, I've never encountered that problem. Maybe this year we'll get out of the first round...

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • Options
    PredatorPredator __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, EA is pretty terrible at their sport ports on the PC. Madden 08 was horrendous! I wouldn't hold out much hope for NHL 09 being anything like the console version on the PC

The PC version is going to be a port of the PS2 version

Predator on
    1330my4.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Long time Pens fan myself (living in Michigan no less) but seeing as how their new roster will be missing about 5 guys they finished with last year I don't think it will be too lame to play as them. And if it is? I'll fall back to The Sens or the Devils.

GO PENGUINS, WOO

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The first NHL game in YEARS that I'll be able to play as the Capitals without being ranked dead freaking last.

Ah, I remembered when I had to use CREATE-A-PLAYER to add Ovechkin the year of the strike. I made him a 91 and people said I was making him "way too good".

Now I get into fights online about who gets to be the Caps. I SAT THROUGH JASON DOIG AND JOEL KIWITOWSKI, I EARNED THIS.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    CoreCore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have to say I was a 2k fan until I played '08. Easily my most favorite hockey game I've played. I still play at least 6-7 games of it a week. Can't wait until '09, I'm pretty excited about being able to play as an individual player, though I can't decide what position or type of player I want to play as yet. But for an online league full of real players I would be totally down for that, though I imagine trying to get that many people together and online at the same time could be a challenge.

Core on
    core_pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Core wrote: »
    I have to say I was a 2k fan until I played '08. Easily my most favorite hockey game I've played. I still play at least 6-7 games of it a week. Can't wait until '09, I'm pretty excited about being able to play as an individual player, though I can't decide what position or type of player I want to play as yet. But for an online league full of real players I would be totally down for that, though I imagine trying to get that many people together and online at the same time could be a challenge.

it is sort of odd. for the individual players I think you can have a team of up to 50, but yet when playing online you can only get 6 in?? Hope I'm wrong on this.

I understand how difficult it even is to implement having 12 individual players in multi (6 each team) with networking issues. And in that scenario you would get to play the entire game and not sit the bench, but then why allow creation of teams up to 50? Sure it will be tough to get that many people online, but when you do have more than 6 how do you decide who on the team gets to play?

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My only problem with Hockey is that it seems so...Random I bought the games, and play them, but still, sometimes it's hard to get into them.

This quote from the West Wing kind of explains why:
    I love sports, I just can't get next to hockey. See, I think Americans like to savour situations. One down, bottom of the ninth, one run game, first and third, left handed batter, right hand reliever, infield at double play depth, here's the pitch. But scoring in hockey seems to come out of nowhere. The play-by-play guy is always shocked. "LePeiter passes to Huckenchuck who skates past the blue line. Huckenchuck, of course, was traded from Winnipeg for a case of Labatts after sitting out last season with... Oh my God, he scores!"

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    My only problem with Hockey is that it seems so...Random I bought the games, and play them, but still, sometimes it's hard to get into them.

I love sports, I just can't get next to hockey. See, I think Americans like to savour situations. One down, bottom of the ninth, one run game, first and third, left handed batter, right hand reliever, infield at double play depth, here's the pitch. But scoring in hockey seems to come out of nowhere. The play-by-play guy is always shocked. "LePeiter passes to Huckenchuck who skates past the blue line. Huckenchuck, of course, was traded from Winnipeg for a case of Labatts after sitting out last season with... Oh my God, he scores!"

Hahaha. Witty dialogue reinforcing the concept that Americans don't like sports with difficult to follow rules (as in, non-American based sports...).

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

it is sort of odd. for the individual players I think you can have a team of up to 50, but yet when playing online you can only get 6 in?? Hope I'm wrong on this.

I understand how difficult it even is to implement having 12 individual players in multi (6 each team) with networking issues. And in that scenario you would get to play the entire game and not sit the bench, but then why allow creation of teams up to 50? Sure it will be tough to get that many people online, but when you do have more than 6 how do you decide who on the team gets to play?

50 people? On the same team? Rules only allow for dressing 20 and most teams only carry about 22-23 players in total. Or were you referring to having a team pool of 50 players in case somebody isn't available? Still sounds wrong somehow...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Hahaha. Witty dialogue reinforcing the concept that Americans don't like sports with difficult to follow rules (as in, non-American based sports...).

Anyone who thinks Americans don't like sports with difficult to follow rules ought to have the official golf rule book thrown at them.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Anyone who thinks Americans don't like sports with difficult to follow rules ought to have the official golf rule book thrown at them.
    Hit small, white ball into little hole in distance.
    Plus one stroke penalty to any ball not played from original lie.
    Fewest strokes wins.

I'm talking on a basic level. Every sport has some form of confusing sub-rules that rarely matter except for when they do. Besides, golf is considered to be an American game anyway. At least by Americans.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Football is pretty complicated as well.

Can you say... "Fair Catch and Free Kick" "Tuck Rule" "Force Out" and my personal favorite. The Drop Kick Field Goal.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

50 people? On the same team? Rules only allow for dressing 20 and most teams only carry about 22-23 players in total. Or were you referring to having a team pool of 50 players in case somebody isn't available? Still sounds wrong somehow...

here is a link to a gamespot article about the mode http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/nhl09/news.html?sid=6194826&mode=previews

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited August 2008

here is a link to a gamespot article about the mode http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/nhl09/news.html?sid=6194826&mode=previews

That helps a little bit, thanks. I wonder how they'll deal with players who want the same number. I imagine 9 might be a particular favourite for some reason. I'd be pretty unhappy with being arbitrarily assigned a different number just because it was the next one available.

And how much more confusing could in-game chat become? I suspect there would be both team only and global.

And did the interviewer really ask what the storyline would be? Are they even familiar with sports?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    dr0neboydr0neboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I myself used to play hockey and I really understand that people in general feel that way (and I also get that these people like to watch hockey, as it can be viewed like a action movie or something). However, appreciating the game is not all about foreseeing or understanding when a team scores, it's more about reading the game, seeing how teams play, tactics and counter tactics etc. I think it's the same reason soccer isn't that big in the US, it's just more about the actual playing of the game, the beauty and strategic aspects behind it, rather than the just points and statistics.

dr0neboy on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think soccers main foil is the fact that its mostly set up and the plays often never get to develop into scoring chances. One would think with the rabbid popularity of youth soccer that the game would work here. Hockey is similar but the scoring chances come to play more, now soccer with a dump and chase type of mentality people may gain interest in.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    I think soccers main foil is the fact that its mostly set up and the plays often never get to develop into scoring chances. One would think with the rabbid popularity of youth soccer that the game would work here. Hockey is similar but the scoring chances come to play more, now soccer with a dump and chase type of mentality people may gain interest in.

That would require a change in at least the offside rule. Possibly making the size of the pitch smaller and eliminating some players altogether. Hockey can have more scoring chances because the game simply moves much faster.

Soccer mainly loses it's appeal in North America mainly because there isn't a world class professional league available. Mexico's isn't bad, but it does pale next to many of those found on the European continent. And until international stars view a move to NA for reasons beyond money, it'll be nothing but a place for aging stars to wind down their careers in a less competitive environment for an obscene amount of money.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I just read that article, and while I have a zillion more questions, I am super excited for this. I can see this mode going up against Rock Band for "Only thing I do with my 360."

I'm all about being on a P.A. team. My only questions are:

-How do teams get managed? Will we (or anyone, just using 'us' as the example) need to decide up front who we trust to run this team? And then that person drafts us, makes cuts, decides who plays, ect? It obviously seems like even 2 people could take 6 guys on the ice in this mode, so I can see some cool situations where we have a 'big game' coming up that we need to really work together to plan out a good time so critical members of the team are present to play. Will you be able to drop yourself off a team, and quit? Obviously you could just stop signing in, but if you level up a guy, and you're signed to 'Team PA', can you back out and join another club at anytime, or do you need to ask the 'manager' to cut you?

-Whats scheduling like? Do you seek out other teams online, set a time and date, and then play? Or is it just jump in and see who's available to take on? I kind of like the idea of being able to have managers send requests to set-up games in advance, so in addition to playing whenever, you can have some sort of set schedule of opponents.

-Are we creating teams for this? Do we just hop in and pick the Washington Capitals, and the Caps are made up of all of our guys? Or, since there's going to be a bazillion teams, will the team creation mode allow you to make your logo, jerseys, ect... to keep each team unique?

I want all this info as soon as possible, EA. Then, we can start getting down to buisness on these forums about how we're going to handle the first amazing dynasty of the EASHL.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Own logos and jerseys, if I remember the video correctly.
    PA Dynasty! The Pennsylvania Arcadians? Or Pittsburgh.

Oh, and I'd totally be center. Or defender. Big hits are fun.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I cant in good concience play for any pretend team thats pretending to be from Pittsburgh.

Thats going to be in my fictional contract.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I cant in good concience play for any pretend team thats pretending to be from Pittsburgh.

I could host it or something and then it could be a pretend team that's really from Pittsburgh. Would that help at all?

Schide on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »

YOU'RE FROM PHILLY AREN'T YOU

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png