As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neighbourhood fun time.

PolagoPolago Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Social Entropy++
For the past year and a half i've lived in a comfortable and cozy neighbourhood on the east border of Vancouver. Lots of nice restaurants surround the complex, tennis courts, basketball courts, a baseball diamond with plenty of park space and close proximity to the skytrain.

Frequently the neighbourhood bears more exciting moments than the general family fare. Over the past 2 hours there's been hobos screaming, some "thugs" bragging, drunks yelling, girls laughing moronically, fights, and squad cars using the loudspeakers. On any other random night includes rapes, domestic disputes, fireworks shooting off, cars patrolling the area or revving repeatedly, the occasional hookers and plenty of other oddities almost always on tap from midnight onwards. Makes for a pleasant night time jaunt to grab some pho.

What kind of neighbourhood do you inhabit? Has it been kind to you or are you aching to escape it's grasp?

Polago on

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wouldn't say I really live in a neighborhood now, actually

but where I live is nice and quiet, aside from the occasional confused deer bumbling about

Moriveth on
  • Options
    DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My apartment complex is pretty nice but, y'know, just being in Maryland it has some downsides.

My roommate's girlfriend came over last week. She was walking to the stairs to come up to our apartment and some black dude walked up to her, dropped his pants, and starting fondling his junk and saying, "you like this?" She bolted up to our place and told us about it but by the time we got down the four flights of stairs, he was long gone.

Defenestrator on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yay! Deer!

I live inner city. There's two parks opposite, though, so it's very leafy and green.

There is a huge, derelict church right next door which holds free parties and tramps. The police swing by often.

Work is 5 mins walk away, the University is less than two minutes' walk away, it's a 20 min walk into the city centre and there are several pubs and shops nearby.

Janson on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    the only bad thing about my suburb is there's no fresh seafood shop

edit: a fishmonger, if you will

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nothing happens near me, with the exception of 7 foot tall 150 kilogram samoan gangsters doing their patrols, which are avoidable when using common sense and arent that common.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    NadsNads Bob Ducca Asleep in a cul-de-sac.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    I just have to put up with the illmannered teenagers next door.

Also, instead of other houses across the street, there's an elementary school, so I have to put up with the fat fucking parents who are too fucking lazy to get out of their giant fucking SUVs to go get their fucking fat children, so they sit there leaning on their goddamn fucking horn over and over again when I'm trying to fucking sleep or read and then I have to walk out onto my porch and yell for them to shut the hell up.

Nads on
    3c5d24e9-b7f2-44ba-bbf2-3b4658af70bd.jpg
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My town is rather unremarkable, but it's pretty green. It's not too loud but being on the edge of South London we get a bit of spill off of trouble now and then. Although really the big suburb towns are much worse for crime than London is.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i live in a town where the klan was prevalent and now it's full of hillbillies and jackoffs smoking pot behind their trailers and goddamn it somebody drop a fuel air bomb on this town

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    yourclothesyourclothes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    i live with a pretty good crowd surrounding me

when the street was all young we used to have these massive games of cops and robbers

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The 'A' is roughly where I am:

sheffield.PNG

Janson on
  • Options
    Solid_Snake-aSolid_Snake-a Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I live next to a primary school (kids aged 4-11). Overall it's not so bad but leaving the house just before nine or just after three is hell.

Solid_Snake-a on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I live in a block of apartments.

A lady just moved in.

This lady owns a dog.

A stupid small dog that barks.

I want to stab this dog and give it to Viv so she may cook it for me and tell me that it is chicken.

Other than that where I live is fucking sweet.

Blake T on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    myhouse.jpg
    My house is "A"

EDIT: jan holy shit so much green

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    oh i'm on google street view now

oxleyst.jpg

i'm in between the truck and the egyptian brothel

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    *snip*
    My house is "A"

EDIT: jan holy shit so much green
    In terms of the number of trees per person Sheffield is the greenest city in the whole of Europe!

Janson on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It is like a blinding flash of green that is always flashing and it never gets easier to look at.

Pretty much the entirety of New South Wales is as brown or browner than my picture

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    NumeroNumero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There's a crack house across the street from me.

Numero on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i live in a low income area across a small bridge from a very low-income area

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fallout wrote: »

Moving on up?

Polago on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited August 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It is like a blinding flash of green that is always flashing and it never gets easier to look at.

Pretty much the entirety of Australia is as brown or browner than my picture

To be fair though, it isn't brown, it is just a duller green.

I like Australia's colours.

Blake T on
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    i live in one of these trailer parks where old people come to die. it's wonderful. the stench of death wafts into my window like fresh apple pie.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    welpbk7.jpg

Its absolutely dull

that's like

blinding!

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    welpbk7.jpg

Its absolutely dull
    Oh man

There is NOTHING to break the monotony of those streets

Janson on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Teefs your neighbourhood looks like it was machine made.

Polago on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    alright I'm totally eating some motherfucking pancakes up in this piece

and I am scrubbing the fuck out of my dishes so the fucking ants don't have a snack

fucking ants

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    everybody explore my suburb it's great

don't expect a fishmonger though. i've looked everywhere.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    I just moved ten blocks south of where I was. What a difference ten blocks can make!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Teefs, that is terrible, but the roads look fun to drive on.

You can't see it in my area, but every 200 meters there is a 10 meter height difference, upsy downsy upsy downsy.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Teef's suburb is well designed guys.

I am looking at the engineering in those roads with awe.

(I am of course a massive nerd)

Blake T on
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    man, i hate ants so goddamn much. most annoying little pissers! i was so close to slicing open my carotids because of them.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    correction: pancakes, and purple drank

Moriveth on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Polago wrote: »
    Fallout wrote: »

Moving on up?

no but the mexican gangs are always coming up the bridge and stealing shit and causing trouble

and more of them are staying here all the time

also the kids in my little area are horrible monsters. aside from standard constant screaming we also have a few minor arsons in the complex every year (mostly dumpster fires, a neighboring hours got their trees and then fence bordering my complex burned down a few months ago) and a bunch of little wannabe gangbangers tagging shit up like they're not total queers

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This is my parent's place.

CDMS-20070719-084729.gif

I shall see if I can dig up something of my apartment.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    yessuccess.jpg

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Blaket wrote: »

Yeah, I am an architecture student, so I tend to look into these things.

The roads seem quite wide and very regular, no fucking around with dumb roads, the houses fit together very well and such.

Property developers dream.

EDIT: Yourclothes' seems like a huge clusterfuck.
    Please validate me blaket

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

To me well designed also means accounting for people's needs.

I think most people are happier with having parks, pubs and shops nearby. The UK is great in that regard as many cities sprung up from smaller towns and villages joining together, so often little central areas are preserved.

You can live in a heavily-populated, urban area and yet not feel too crowded. I do. Sheffield houses are tiny and cramped but there's enough greenery and open spaces and shops to make living here quite enjoyable. :)

EDIT: And I did a degree in architecture so yeah

Not that that really counts for anything (I just want to be cool)

Janson on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My apartment complex is pretty nice but, y'know, just being in Maryland it has some downsides.

My roommate's girlfriend came over last week. She was walking to the stairs to come up to our apartment and some black dude walked up to her, dropped his pants, and starting fondling his junk and saying, "you like this?" She bolted up to our place and told us about it but by the time we got down the four flights of stairs, he was long gone.

PG county?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Janson wrote: »

To me well designed also means accounting for people's needs.

I think most people are happier with having parks, pubs and shops nearby. The UK is great in that regard as many cities sprung up from smaller towns and villages joining together, so often little central areas are preserved.

You can live in a heavily-populated, urban area and yet not feel too crowded. I do. Sheffield houses are tiny and cramped but there's enough greenery and open spaces and shops to make living here quite enjoyable. :)

Most of canberra was designed by the government, it was a shining example of great city design when it comes to utilities and spacing.

Recently they started selling land to property developers, who want as much on the land as possible. and that is terrible.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=dunlop+canberra&ie=UTF8&ll=-35.198746,149.019713&spn=0.010275,0.022745&t=k&z=16

See the difference in spacing and such? those roads are 2 hatchbacks wide, side to side, it is murder.

The Black Hunter on